Maria Marino is leaving SNY, UConn broadcasts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Maria Marino is leaving SNY, UConn broadcasts

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't know of any sports reporters covering any WBB team who ask prosecutorial-type questions to players or coaches. Certainly they have to think about their future relationship with coaches, players, and schools if they did that.

But equally important, they have to think about how the fans (not just Boneyarders but SNY UConn WBB viewers generally) would react. Fans would see any attempt to cross-examine Geno or a player as unfair, impertinent, and incompetent. "How many National Championships have you won, Maria?" would be the reaction on Twitter.

Fans want to think of reporters for the home-team broadcasting crew as their brethren, and would react viscerally to any appearance of hostility or skepticism.

You can see it on the Boneyard, when even a longtime broadcaster and ex-UConn-player such as Megan Culmo opines that a particular foul call on a UConn player was justified, or that the UConn player should have been whistled when she wasn't, or when she "excuses" officials for not calling a foul on an opponent when the crowd wanted one. Can you imagine how The Boneyard would react if she or Maria appeared to act confrontational with Geno?

Reaction Score
Do you think Kara Wolters and Meg Culmo are scared of Geno?
For me, definitely not scared, at all. Setting aside justified, or not, more aligned with reverent, deferential, devoted, enamored. For me, for tactical analysis, especially post game, their commentary is not at all unbiased. Everyone makes mistakes, yet I cannot remember them elucidating on such, while offering tactical alternatives that might have been more effective. That is a large part of an analysts job.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol, and what exactly do you based that on, I mean other than your imagination?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Her cadence was off and she was absolutely monotone on most occasions. I always felt that Geno was annoyed by her questions because they were so remedial and obvious. Give me someone who shows emotion like Holly Rowe any day of the week.
Whenever Holly Rowe is on I have to mute her, she drives me up the wall more than any other sideline reporter out there, be it basketball, football, soccor, even if she announced whiffle ball I would still mute her.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed Maria and wish her all the best. Maybe Bri Mahn will be next up for SNY sideline reporter. I believe she is a senior and graduates this spring. She would be a natural for the job and she already is quite familiar with the team, players and coaches. Nice first gig for her as she goes professionaL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom