Margo Lady Vol Season Approaching | The Boneyard

Margo Lady Vol Season Approaching

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Here are some of my thoughts. I think Russell will have a big year. Nared will also have a good year. I think that with Westbrook and Hayes. That the point guard position will be better. I think Green will help inside. I don't think this team will have any drama.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Here are some of my thoughts. I think Russell will have a big year. Nared will also have a good year. I think that with Westbrook and Hayes. That the point guard position will be better. I think Green will help inside. I don't think this team will have any drama.
Lack of drama would be a big step forward.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Of course there will be drama with this team. Many UT fans myopically assume that DD was the cause of all of the teams woes. The truth is that team was as loaded as this one and failed because of poor coaching comcepts, procedures, and on court management. As far as I can see that hasn't changed. Nared's assement of Geno should have been revelatory to UT fans, not another point to disparage him. As long as UT's coaching staff remains and continues the same coaching philosophies as before they will continue to underachieve. No matter how much talent it amasses.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I also believe that if TN can avoid the drama of last season, it will be better for all concerned, but I have my doubts about a HW coached team. While it’s easy to blame 1 or 2 players for some of the problems, the coach has to be in charge or there will always be problems.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score

I think it could be a year of improvement. Less poor shot selection and less 1-on-1 play may help. However, they have to learn to run an effective offense to get more open shots - it's yet to be seen that Holly can get them to do that, but if she does, they could easily be a top 8 and maybe even a final 4 team this year.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Of course there will be drama with this team. Many UT fans myopically assume that DD was the cause of all of the teams woes. The truth is that team was as loaded as this one and failed because of poor coaching comcepts, procedures, and on court management. As far as I can see that hasn't changed. Nared's assement of Geno should have been revelatory to UT fans, not another point to disparage him. As long as UT's coaching staff remains and continues the same coaching philosophies as before they will continue to underachieve. No matter how much talent it amasses.
Actually it was Cooper that started a fight.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think it could be a year of improvement. Less poor shot selection and less 1-on-1 play may help. However, they have to learn to run an effective offense to get more open shots - it's yet to be seen that Holly can get them to do that, but if she does, they could easily be a top 8 and maybe even a final 4 team this year.
I think Hayes and Westbrook will make a difference at the point,

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I dunno (my word of the day). Felt Margo sort of lost her way last year. Hoping for a strong comeback. Guess I'll suck it up and listen.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
TN schedule comes down to a few key games this year & as much as I hate to say it you might only be looking at 3 losses come tournament time=#2 seed at worst. TN has:
  • Texas at home without Holmes
  • @Stanford is a winnable game for TN because Holly has won 3 of the last 4 meeting with Stanford
  • @SC is likely a loss with SC avenging last year's loss
  • @ND is a winnable game because ND is depleted.
  • Mississippi State is a home game for Lady Vols & winnable
  • SC at home closes out the TN regular season
  • SEC tournament might be a third matchup with SC & likely another loss for TN
TN's recent history is a least one unexpected loss to an unranked team, but if "chemistry" was truly the issue 3 losses & #1-2 seed for TN is achievable.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
They still have the same coach right??:oops::rolleyes:
That's true, but Diamond was a handful as was Cooper. When you listen to Holly's post game presser she often repeats phrases like "that was not the plan" or "that was not what we practiced" or even worse "I don't know" . My take on that is that the inmates were running the asylum and not following Holly's plan. Not fair to evaluate the coaches plan while the inmates are running the asylum. Holly now has a new batch of inmates, if the dumpster fires continue at TN then it was the plan and not the inmates.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For TN to have a good year, they’re going to need the freshmen to step up immediately to help out Russell & Nared. While there is no doubt that the Lady Vols have a talented group of freshmen, the expectation that they will develop quickly, particularly under HW, is suspect.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Margo drank that "chemistry Kool Aid" right down, didn't she. Lost points with me, though I know how hope springs eternal in the breast of the October fan. 'Sides, she's just warming up too.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Holly has talked about the freshman. She has mentioned about their effort and energy. That they have brought with them.

Reaction Score
Success for TN continues to be dependent on better shooting percentage when "attacking" zone defenses, which will be plentiful this season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Thank you for posting... Love Margo.... Her enthusiasm for LV basketball is great.... and to be applauded....

What she said about chemistry is spot on.... yes you can beat better teams when your team hits on all cylinders.... and has a feel for what is needed and what your teammates are doing....

Several assumptions she makes.... of course.... that the guards "are ready"..... how do people know this until they actually are tested that first time?

Nared of course will be super this year... she always comes to play.... I disagree with all the folks who say that Mercedes will have a banner year.... Poor gal had the foot problems at start of her career... but since she has been healthy I have not seen the motivation or desire on a consistent basis necessary to elevate her team to the next level...

Having said this.... i look forward to hearing Margo throughout the season.....

Reaction Score
I love Margeaux! Her unabashed boosterism and her eternal optimism are fun to watch...and she's surprisingly knowledgeable about the game. It won't happen under Holly, but, unlike many of my friends here, I wish the Lady Vol program would return to elite status before Geno retires...would love to have reason to "hate" them again! I miss the rivalry.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
For TN to have a good year, they’re going to need the freshmen to step up immediately to help out Russell & Nared. While there is no doubt that the Lady Vols have a talented group of freshmen, the expectation that they will develop quickly, particularly under HW, is suspect.
Yes. And usually it is not in a teams best interest to be so dependent on Freshmen. Especially to run the team.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
With all due respect I am chuckling because of what you posted almost exactly 1 year ago! :eek:
That team played great at times. The team had some big wins. The chemistry wasn't there all the time. In some of the losses. I don't see that being a problem this year,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom