Marcus or Doron? | The Boneyard

Marcus or Doron?

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Was remembering how much I enjoyed those guys' games...lots more time to contemplate things these days....

Got me thinking about my favorite guys to just watch. Not necessarily the best. Not necessarily the most accomplished. Just, int heir UConn prime, who would I want to watch combine to wipe Cuse. I got:

Marcus Williams
Ricky Moore
Caron
Nadav Henefeld
Emeka

Bench:
Doron
Kemba
Chris Smith
Rip
Toraino Walker
Marcus White
Thabeet
Bouk

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I loved The Dove. Was sad that we only had him for a year but then we got Gilad Katz and I was excited to think that he would be our next Israeli stud. Then, well, he wasn't. But I've always thought Nadav and Doron Sheffer were two of the smartest players we've ever had. Both were slow as molasses and couldn't jump over a nickel but they got it done.

Reaction Score
I'd take Marcus in the half court and Doron in the fast break offense. Doron's ability to drop full court passes into a teammate's hand was a thing of beauty. Neither was a slouch in the other offense. Marcus's ability to anticipate players cutting and getting open, or changing angles with penetration was also great to watch.

Also, I don't know how Ray gets left off of any fun to watch list. Specially, against 'Cuse, he was a one man zone buster. I'd go with Marcus, Doron, Ray, Donyell and Emeka for my starting 5. Kemba, Chris Smith, Shabazz, Bouk, Caron, Rip, and Thabeet.

They weren't on as much and I was young, but Cliff was fun to watch. He piqued my interest into UConn when I was a boy. Lastly, I think Akok and Jackson may crack this list in a few years.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Both were PG for teams that should have done better.

Reaction Score
Was remembering how much I enjoyed those guys' games...lots more time to contemplate things these days....

Got me thinking about my favorite guys to just watch. Not necessarily the best. Not necessarily the most accomplished. Just, int heir UConn prime, who would I want to watch combine to wipe Cuse. I got:

Marcus Williams
Ricky Moore
Caron
Nadav Henefeld
Emeka

Bench:
Doron
Kemba
Chris Smith
Rip
Toraino Walker
Marcus White
Thabeet
Bouk
If we are playing the Cuse, Brian Fair and Rashamel Jones need to be there.

pj

Reaction Score
The 89-90 team was incredible fun to watch, but I don't know that you can translate players like Nadav to other teams and expect the same pleasure.

For me Kemba was the single funnest player to watch, he was like a magician pulling victories out of hats.

Ricky (Rickety) was my favorite player on that 99 team, can't disagree with making him a starter. Emeka another favorite player on a great team, who just made great plays with high frequency.

Small forward spot is where you could put a lot of names in a hat and be happy. I might go with Rip, personally.

Kemba - Ricky - Rip - Caron - Emeka for me. Small lineup but small ball is the most fun to watch.

Reaction Score
The 89-90 team was incredible fun to watch, but I don't know that you can translate players like Nadav to other teams and expect the same pleasure.

For me Kemba was the single funnest player to watch, he was like a magician pulling victories out of hats.

Ricky (Rickety) was my favorite player on that 99 team, can't disagree with making him a starter. Emeka another favorite player on a great team, who just made great plays with high frequency.

Small forward spot is where you could put a lot of names in a hat and be happy. I might go with Rip, personally.

Kemba - Ricky - Rip - Caron - Emeka for me. Small lineup but small ball is the most fun to watch.

Have to disagree on Nadav. Simply put he's going to be smarter than the guy he plays against. Kids may be a bit more athletic now but I believe they are even more stupid. He wasn't great offensively anyway except passing the ball. On defense he was a great anticipator, great at thinking ahead of the offensive players. Bad passes and crappy ball handlers were his prey and they're still out there. I'd take him to this day on my team any time.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Kemba, Ricky, Stanley, Caron, Emeka. Doron, Nadav, Bazz, Rudy, Adrien, Thabeet.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Marcus Williams, between his passing, his left-handedness, and his dripping with smoothness and swag, is always one of my answers for "favorite, not necessarily best" Husky and sometimes also "most underrated." Ben Gordon qualifies for those for me as well.

Reaction Score
My fun-to-watch squad:
Tony Robertson
Johnny Gwynn
Stanley Robinson
Nadev Henefeld
Cliff Robinson

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I liked Travis Knight because I thought he resembled Andy Kaufman and the idea of tall Andy Kaufman playing for UConn made me laugh.

Reaction Score
Rashad Anderson-never got sick of seeing him drain dagger after dagger on the opposition

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would always take Ray over RIP. No slight to RIP. Ray could play inside/outside and the difference above the rim with ease. His junior year you knew there was going to be at least a few wow moments each game. Donyell, was the same way. It could be at the defensive end with him as well.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I still think Donyell Marshall was one of the most dominant unstoppable Uconn players. He should never be left off a Uconn list..

His missed free throws during that Florida game to send Uconn to it's first Final Four will never be forgotten.
I cannot ever forgive him for those misses. He was a career 77% FT shooter. Gets up for two that mattered more than any other FT of his career. He's only got to make one of them. And.... bricks. You could hear them hit the rim like bricks all the way to CT.
10 years later, in a not too dissimilar situation, a 59% career FT shooter knew he had to make "just one" to put UConn in the final game. No choke, no brick.
That's one reason why Mek's on my list and Yell's not.

Reaction Score
I cannot ever forgive him for those misses. He was a career 77% FT shooter. Gets up for two that mattered more than any other FT of his career. He's only got to make one of them. And.... bricks. You could hear them hit the rim like bricks all the way to CT.
10 years later, in a not too dissimilar situation, a 59% career FT shooter knew he had to make "just one" to put UConn in the final game. No choke, no brick.
That's one reason why Mek's on my list and Yell's not.
I feel your pain believe me but com'on. Lol

OldBosd

BBQ Beer Freedom!!!
Reaction Score
Remember how many steal Shabazz and the Boatshow got in the National Championship season?

Nadav got more steals than those two....combined in his one season

Reaction Score
I still think Donyell Marshall was one of the most dominant unstoppable Uconn players. He should never be left off a Uconn list..

His missed free throws during that Florida game to send Uconn to it's first Final Four will never be forgotten.

Actually, a made FT would have sent UConn to the Elite Eight against BC. But since UConn was in its absolute dominance of BC at that time, getting to the Final Four looked pretty safe.

The thing that really made it tough is that the NC that year, which went to Arkansas, was UConn's for the taking. They were the best team in the Sweet Sixteen easily. The Florida game, at Miami, was also an early instance of UConn losing a Sweet-16 or later game on the opponent's "home" court. Later instances were UCLA at Oakland, UNC at Greensboro, Texas at San Antonio and George Mason in Wash. DC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom