March 18 games thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

March 18 games thread

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Obviously NCState gets all the best players and if only DD had kept her promise to stay we won't be sitting here. :eek::p

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Timeout to clear the bench.

FINAL: NC State 74 Maryland 60.

NC State improves to 14-2 all time in NCAAT games in Raleigh, improves to 43-35 against Maryland and NC State heading to its first Sweet 16 since our magical and emotional run under Kay Yow in 2007.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Carter is really good, but the officials bailed her out constantly. When she drives to the basket she’s frequently out of control, but refs kept calling phantom fouls on DePaul defenders. Like all SEC teams A&M plays very physical, yet they were whistled for a total of 9 fouls and one of those was intentional with 1.8 left.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Timeout to clear the bench.

FINAL: NC State 74 Maryland 60.

NC State improves to 14-2 all time in NCAAT games in Raleigh, improves to 43-35 against Maryland and NC State heading to its first Sweet 16 since our magical and emotional run under Kay Yow in 2007.

Well your place in the ACC is safe ;)

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Good old ESPN. Broadcast a blowout by itself and then have 3 nearly simutaneous games people would have liked to have seen. The endings were way too close together. And now NOTHING til 7 PM. Thank goodness they never got the men's Tournament too. If they did and STILL had the women as well can you imagine the times we would be playing?

Reaction Score
Louisville is such a hit or miss team. Today they look amazing. Inside Hines-Allen is outstanding when she's on, Fuerhing can be the bruising post player, and Shook the stretch 4. Durr is one of the most electric scorers in the country, and the other guards can put so much pressure on the ball and are capable of beating you off the dribble or from deep.

They have the tools to win it all, I'm just not sure the consistency is there. I wouldn't be shocked to see them knock off Baylor and then lay an egg against Mississippi State in the Final Four.
I realize both of these teams are "favored" to get to the Elite 8 game, but we'll have to wait and see if that actually happens.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
For the game...NC State shot 44.6% on 25 of 56 shooting...was 7 of 14 from THREE and 17 of 27 from the FT line. State outrebounded Maryland 39-35, had 12 assists, 7 steals, 2 blocks and committed 14 turnovers.

Maryland was 22 of 59 for 37.3% from the field, was 0-5 from THREE and 16 of 23 from the FT line. The Terps had 7 assists, 8 steals, 4 blocks and committed13 turnovers.

Kiara Leslie tied a career high with 21 points on 7 of 14 shooting, grabbed 11 rebounds and was 2 of 3 from THREE. All five starters were in double figures...Kayla Ealey and Ace Konig 12 points each, Akela Maize 11 and Chelsea Nelson 10 points, with 7 rebounds. Off the bench, Kai Crutchfield added 8 points. Dede Rodgers grabbed 5 rebounds.

For Maryland, Brianna Fraser was the top scorer with 17 points on 6 of 11 shooting and grabbed 5 rebounds. Ieshia Small 15 points, Stephanie Jones contributed 14.

As for potential future opponents...

NC State is 1-1 all time with Mississippi State. The last meeting with the Bulldogs was December 21st, 2001 in the Cancun Classic, with Mississippi State winning 71-58. NC State's victory was in the opening round of the 1999 NCAAT, a 76-57 win.

NC State has never played Oklahoma State.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That SEC is one tough conference.

Almost had LSU, Missouri, Tenneseee, Georgia, and A&M eliminated before the Sweet 16.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
A few comments about this season. I thought when the bracket came out. It would be a tough road but doable. As long as Tennessee played it's best. Overall the record was better this year. Good careers by Russell and Nared. The freshman a talented group. They had ups and downs normal for freshman. I am anxious to see the improvement in these freshman next year. Another good group of freshman in next year. I think next year guard play with Westbrook, Hayes , Jackson, Massengill and Green will be a strength.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
My pet peeve - traveling before you dribble, all TN players do it and it reminds me of AAU ball.

Reaction Score
I have missed last 20 minutes. Anyone explain why Russel trying to start above the key, dribble through a crowd and shoot, only to have it taken from her. ???

It's in Holly's playbook.

Reaction Score
A few comments about this season. I thought when the bracket came out. It would be a tough road but doable. As long as Tennessee played it's best. Overall the record was better this year. Good careers by Russell and Nared. The freshman a talented group. They had ups and downs normal for freshman. I am anxious to see the improvement in these freshman next year. Another good group of freshman in next year. I think next year guard play with Westbrook, Hayes , Jackson, Massengill and Green will be a strength.
Wait until you see what OSU's backcourt looks like next year! Adding Destiny Slocum (sophomore), and her backup will be Aleah Goodman (soph), who has played well this year as a freshman. Pivec (Junior), Katie McWilliams (senior), and Kat Tudor (junior) will be our wings. Our turnover problem this year will be less of a problem for OSU next year. Losing Marie Gulich will become our next challenge, but with a 6' 7", & 6' 9" post players joining the team next year, Rueck will have 3 post players 6' 7" or taller.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wait until you see what OSU's backcourt looks like next year! Adding Destiny Slocum (sophomore), and her backup will be Aleah Goodman (soph), who has played well this year as a freshman. Pivec (Junior), Katie McWilliams (senior), and Kat Tudor (junior) will be our wings. Our turnover problem this year will be less of a problem for OSU next year. Losing Marie Gulich will become our next challenge, but with a 6' 7", & 6' 9" post players joining the team next year, Rueck will have 3 post players 6' 7" or taller.
Oregon, Oregon State, and Stanford will be the class of the conference next year.

Arizona State will nip at their heels, as they don't graduate anyone.

UCLA will drop back to the pack after losing Canada and Billings. Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and Washington will all be better than this year but probably not great.

Reaction Score
Total choke by DePaul.

Big time shot by Carter.

And total joke for ESPN to flip to this thrilling finish literally 3 seconds before Carter's shot.

We missed the last few seconds of the Tenn game by doing so, wanted to see the handshake line.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oregon, Oregon State, and Stanford will be the class of the conference next year.

UCLA will drop back to the pack after losing Canada and Billings. Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and Washington will all be better than this year but probably not great.

What about Cal? Lose a couple role players. Maybe Anigwe can bounce back for a big Sr. year. Thomas played well this year. Several good Fr. and Sophs. Maybe leading candidate to replace UCLA and move into the top 4? Also USC loses Simon and Edwards but adds another Moore.

Stanford finds a way every year, but will miss McPhee and Johnson.

Reaction Score
Quite understandably, you focus on the level of talent, which is indeed formidable, just as it was this year and the last and the one before that... But all indications are that at least one key element will remain unchanged. It is therefore difficult, for me, at least, to envision a different outcome in the years immediately ahead. It will be interesting to see, after the dreaded hour arrives, and Geno retires, whether or not UConn can still recruit similar high-level talent as UT has, just on the basis of history and "traditional" relevance. But I think all UConn fans should take heart from the LV experience in that regard!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
What about Cal? Lose a couple role players. Maybe Anigwe can bounce back for a big Sr. year. Thomas played well this year. Several good Fr. and Sophs. Maybe leading candidate to replace UCLA and move into the top 4? Also USC loses Simon and Edwards but adds another Moore.

Stanford finds a way every year, but will miss McPhee and Johnson.
Not really sure about Cal and USC. They both lose a couple significant pieces and I don't see any reason to believe either one will be significantly better next year. Definitely not top 3 in the conference.

Reaction Score

OSU also has a pretty talented guard from Australia joining the team next year. Guard play is not our priority, replacing Gulich will be a major coaching challenge for Rueck next year. OSU won many games on the back of Gulich this year.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Quite understandably, you focus on the level of talent, which is indeed formidable, just as it was this year and the last and the one before that... But all indications are that at least one key element will remain unchanged. It is therefore difficult, for me, at least, to envision a different outcome in the years immediately ahead. It will be interesting to see, after the dreaded hour arrives, and Geno retires, whether or not UConn can still recruit similar high-level talent as UT has, just on the basis of history and "traditional" relevance. But I think all UConn fans should take heart from the LV experience in that regard!

Geno signed on for an additional 5 years in his last contract, it also stipulated that he will stay on as an advisor to the University (per press reports) for at least 2 years after he retires. I bet he also has somewhere in the contract that he gets to have much input in naming his successor, if CD doesn't want it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom