Maori Davenport? To Rutgers? Why? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maori Davenport? To Rutgers? Why?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not sure why so much shade for CViv and Rutgers, because Rutgers is hardly an unfamiliar place for top recruits.
2009 Monique Oliver #6
2011 Briyona Canty #5, Betnijah Laney #11
2012 Rachel Hollivay #9
2013 Tyler Scaife #9
2014 Sierra Calhoun #16
Davenport is only ranked #13 in the 2019 class.

Calhoun? She committed to Duke, transferred to Ohio State and now is a grad transfer to Rutgers. She's pretty far removed from that #16 ranking coming out of high school.

Rutgers stopped being a good team after Rutgers stopped getting good players.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Calhoun? She committed to Duke, transferred to Ohio State and now is a grad transfer to Rutgers. She's pretty far removed from that #16 ranking coming out of high school.
Rutgers stopped being a good team after Rutgers stopped getting good players.
Agree with all of that. Just don't understand why @Fairfield Fan is questioning the #13 player in the class signing with Rutgers. Davenport is not going to make Rutgers relevant again and Rutgers is likely not going to elevate Davenport's stock in the class=non event and hardly worthy of a thread.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Agree with all of that. Just don't understand why @Fairfield Fan is questioning the #13 player in the class signing with Rutgers. Davenport is not going to make Rutgers relevant again and Rutgers is likely not going to elevate Davenport's stock in the class=non even and hardly worthy of a thread.

I agree. If CViv were to add Rickea Jackson then maybe Rutgers could make some noise in the Big Ten.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Not sure why so much shade for CViv and Rutgers, because Rutgers is hardly an unfamiliar place for top recruits.
2009 Monique Oliver #6
2011 Briyona Canty #5, Betnijah Laney #11
2012 Rachel Hollivay #9
2013 Tyler Scaife #9
2014 Sierra Calhoun #16
Davenport is only ranked #13 in the 2019 class.

2018 - PG Zippy Broughton #23.

Could be a few other elements at play here:
- Tim Eatman, a veteran coach who has been with Stringer at Iowa and now Rutgers, came back three years ago and maybe it took him a few seasons to get his bearings right and tight. They just hired an assistant, Will Abrams, to help Eastman and C. Viv, so they are being very proactive on that front.

- Eatman went to Talladega College. Maybe he's got some solid contacts in Alabma because Broughton and Davenport are both from Alabama.

- Maybe Broughton and Davenport know each other?

Like so many coaches, C. Viv likes a certain type of player who can accept/grow in her system of coaching and play. Certainly not for everyone, but those who go through it swear by her on the other side.

Like someone said, if Rickea Jackson also decides to head to New Brunswick, this could be interesting. I also noticed Raoul just added Ohio State to Jackson's schools. She still has a pretty long list of schools that she's considering. The difference between C. Viv and McGruff is, well, palpable (to say the least). ;)

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Like someone said, if Rickea Jackson also decides to head to New Brunswick, this could be interesting. I also noticed Raoul just added Ohio State to Jackson's schools. The difference between C. Viv and McGruff is, well, palpable (to say the least). ;)
Very interesting that Jackson is adding schools as we get closer to signing day when most players are going the other way. I believe she has taken all 5 official visits which made her visit to Rutgers an unofficial one.
Jackson also started this process very early with an unofficial visits to Michigan State and Texas?, if she still hasn't found what she is looking for at this point I'm sensing a real opportunity for some one. Could ND be that someone, I know ND was very high on her early on?

Reaction Score
Davenport was definitely close with Zippy Broughton as well as Joiya Maddox (another 2019 from AL who committed to Rutgers). That potentially could have played a role.

As far as Jackson... I think she was always considering Ohio State. She and Zia Cooke have identical lists (except Jackson’s has Rutgers too). They are likely top targets at this point for any school recruiting them.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
No Calhoun is class of 2014 Duke then tOSU, she arrived on the Rutgers campus this summer, i.e., pretty recently.
Correct. Also last year we got #25 Zipporah Broughton. So Maori is the highest recruit to commit out of HS since Tyler Scaife.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Davenport was definitely close with Zippy Broughton as well as Joiya Maddox (another 2019 from AL who committed to Rutgers). That potentially could have played a role.

As far as Jackson... I think she was always considering Ohio State. She and Zia Cooke have identical lists (except Jackson’s has Rutgers too). They are likely top targets at this point for any school recruiting them.

Ohio State has always been one of her final 7 schools.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Very interesting that Jackson is adding schools as we get closer to signing day when most players are going the other way. I believe she has taken all 5 official visits which made her visit to Rutgers an unofficial one.
Jackson also started this process very early with an unofficial visits to Michigan State and Texas?, if she still hasn't found what she is looking for at this point I'm sensing a real opportunity for some one. Could ND be that someone, I know ND was very high on her early on?

Unless there's a covert Plan B going on, all signs are that all Class of 2019 efforts in South Bend are focused on Ms. Boston and Jones. Period. Have not heard/seen anything on the Jackson front in relation to ND in quite some time.

Right now, Jackie Young is playing the wing position for MM. The good news is that she doesn't graduate until 2020. Would be great to have someone play with/behind her for a year before letting that person move to the top. If Jones does not work out, maybe's there's a plan to move someone currently on the roster to that role. Or another guard/wing in 2020? Stay tuned.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
it's not about success with the sports teams.....it's all about the money derived from the move

Yeah, vowelguy pointed out the bags of cash. Sad for fans.

Reaction Score
No Calhoun is class of 2014 Duke then tOSU, she arrived on the Rutgers campus this summer, i.e., pretty recently.

Whattt??!! The kid transferred three times? Seriously? Wow. Thanks for the update. My head is spinning!

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Two more posts on this Rutgers signing...one on how the NJ school is headed south.

and another on the other 2019 recruit and other possible recruits...both of whom are in the Detroit area.
"Rutgers now has two 2019 commits, both from Alabama: Maori Davenport and Joiya Maddox. In the mix for two Detroit area players, Rickea Jackson and Jasmine Powell. #ncaaw #B1G"

Coach Coquese Washington of Penn State, a Detroit native herself, has recruited this area from time to time, so C. Viv is visiting the neighborhood, as well. Stay tuned.

BTW, Joiya Maddox is a 5'10" guard who pocket write-ups sound like job descriptions for a C. Viv off guard.
joiya-maddox

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
apparently it's Boston or bust...

Well, Storrs isn't that far from Boston if things don't work out.....;)
And a lot closer than South Bend is.....:rolleyes:

As said somewhere else on this thread, ND is also -- I believe -- all in regarding Boston and Jones.
Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
Well, Storrs isn't that far from Boston if things don't work out.....;)
And a lot closer than South Bend is.....:rolleyes:

As said somewhere else on this thread, ND is also -- I believe -- all in regarding Boston and Jones.
Stay tuned.

yes we're in the same slightly leaky boat looking for a fat cork and something tells me neither of us is getting both of em..............still you've got two young point guards, two young posts and a second 6'2" forward among others next year regardless of the outcome

Reaction Score
Would you all rather have Haley Jones or Boston ? If you could only take 1 ?

Reaction Score
I just looked at Rutgers roster and there is a lot more talent this year than I thought they had. Sierra Calhoun will definetly help, but I think Arella Guirantes has a really solid freshmen year at Texas Tech. She’s eligible this year. K Sanders will have a much bigger role. And Freshmen Broughton as well. They have NCAA tourney talent this season especially with a down year for the Big 10 which I’m expecting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom