Maori Davenport? To Rutgers? Why? | The Boneyard

Maori Davenport? To Rutgers? Why?

Reaction Score
Why would a Top 20 recruit go to Rutgers to play for C Vivian? I accept that Rutgers under Stringer has had some good years in the past. But those years are way past!

Why would a top post player go to Rutgers? What am I missing here?

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Why would a Top 20 recruit go to Rutgers to play for C Vivian? I accept that Rutgers under Stringer has had some good years in the past. But those years are way past!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

“She told us this morning,” Mario Davenport said. “We shot videos with the final schools, so when she told us which one she wanted we had everything ready to go. It was just the last part we had to put on there, so we put it on there and we put it out today.”
Maori said a tremendous recruiting visit earlier this month to the Piscataway Township, N.J., campus, and her and her parents’ impression of Stringer and her staff made Rutgers stand out.
“At first, I didn’t know nothing about them,” the player said. “But I did research and that lady has done a lot for a lot of people.”
Her parents were equally impressed.
“To be honest, we were not expecting what we saw,” Tara said.
“When it came down to our recruiting process, just me personally, when you’ve got a coaching staff that pays attention to the parents and they listen to what the parents are really saying, that’s important,” Mario said. “Looking at Rutgers, we really appreciated that. So when she decided that that’s where she wanted to go, we were really happy.”
“The education is second to none,” Tara said. “We got with each professor. There was a lot of hands-on things that Maori was excited about. Then the coaching staff, all of them played WNBA, played under coach Stringer, very professional – all the coaches at all times. It was just impressive.”
The only thing, of course, is that Rutgers is more than 1,000 miles from Troy.
“Everything else was perfect,” Tara said. “The visit was perfect. We didn’t know where she was going to go. We approved all four schools and we just didn’t know which one she would choose.”
Timing is everything. Rutgers is where Zipporah “Zippy” Broughton, Alabama’s Miss Basketball this season who went to Robert E. Lee High in Montgomery, is preparing for her freshman season. In addition, Hoover High guard Joiya Maddox, an AAU teammate of Davenport’s for the past four or five seasons, verbally committed to Rutgers in July

Jones also noted Rutgers was one of the first “national” programs to contact Davenport.
“They’ve been down here from Day 1, freshman season,” the coach said. “Some schools come and go, but they stuck around. I’m not talking about just Charles Henderson. They’ve gone to high school tournaments we played in when they could, and AAU in the offseason. They’ve been here watching her the whole time.”

Charles Henderson basketball star Davenport picks Rutgers

Reaction Score
only she knows for sure but playing time probably won't be an issue as a freshman.................

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Everybody’s ”wowzers” meter is calibrated differently. Maybe she liked the campus, the dorm food, the easy parking, or the flashy uniforms. Who knows? Two people can essentially see the same dozen factors, yet arrive at opposite conclusions. Why? They attach varying degrees of importance to equally attractive or unattractive aspects. Two recruits might see the Rutgers uniform (for example) and agree that it is ugly. One says “no way,” while the other says, “It’s ugly, but so what.” Behavioral psychologists have studied this for years.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Let's not forget Rutgers used to be a powerhouse when in the Big East. I think Stringer got distracted the last 5-7 years with (who knows what - I'm not sure)... She certainly had some decent players, but not really good teams (Copper among others).

But it appears Stringer has refocused and has hit the recruiting trail hard. Very few coaches have had more sustained success than Vivian Stringer. She's never won a NC, but certainly won a lot of games and has a tremendous resume to call on when recruiting upper level kids to her program.

Reaction Score
Things would get very interesting if Rickea Jackson also chooses Rutgers. Those two with the highly ranked PG in 2018 would be a nice core. I too wonder how much longer C. Viv will be around...

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I don't necessarily think she got distracted(though her mother's health and her passing away could have done that), I think a big part of it was the situation with her contract and not being able to really recruit with all that up in the air.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Things would get very interesting if Rickea Jackson also chooses Rutgers. Those two with the highly ranked PG in 2018 would be a nice core. I too wonder how much longer C. Viv will be around...

I personally think Cviv will be around health permitting until she wants to retire. I'd say another 5 years.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't necessarily think she got distracted(though her mother's health and her passing away could have done that), I think a big part of it was the situation with her contract and not being able to really recruit with all that up in the air.
Didn't mean to imply lazy or anything like that - I had no idea what was going on the past 5-7 years, but you really didn't hear much out of her or Rutgers. What you said makes sense for the specifics. Glad to see she's back - hope she's doing well and her health is good - she's no spring chicken any longer! :)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I ask the same question every time a highly rated recruit picks Tennessee (apologies to the various Vols fans here).

How has the move to the Big 10 affected Rutgers? Women's hoops might be doing alright but I think generally speaking their sports programs have really not benefited from the move. Gotta be some cultural differences between East Coast schools and the Midwest. I think Maryland is in a similar boat. The Terps have ruled the conference in women's hoops but otherwise I don't think it's been a positive for them.

Reaction Score
I ask the same question every time a highly rated recruit picks Tennessee (apologies to the various Vols fans here).

How has the move to the Big 10 affected Rutgers? Women's hoops might be doing alright but I think generally speaking their sports programs have really not benefited from the move. Gotta be some cultural differences between East Coast schools and the Midwest. I think Maryland is in a similar boat. The Terps have ruled the conference in women's hoops but otherwise I don't think it's been a positive for them.
Me too (no apologies). Have you figured out what's with Holly's Oregon pipeline?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Me too (no apologies). Have you figured out what's with Holly's Oregon pipeline?

No clue, but I really hope that's done. I don't think Tennessee is in on Brink are they?

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Didn't mean to imply lazy or anything like that - I had no idea what was going on the past 5-7 years, but you really didn't hear much out of her or Rutgers. What you said makes sense for the specifics. Glad to see she's back - hope she's doing well and her health is good - she's no spring chicken any longer! :)

She was on a podcast last week previewing this year team, seemed as passionate and energetic as ever.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
True. The endless traffic from those trucks dumping BiG10 cash is quite a logistics hassle.

Yeah, revenue sharing is nice. There's something to be said for traditional rivalries and cultural fit though. Or maybe not in the current age.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I take it that you've never been to Rutgers.

Har. Trust me, my sarcasm mode was in warning mode. The check engine light was on. Glowing in the dark.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
CVS has been washed for years. Sounds like the kid is doing what her parents told her to do.

Reaction Score

it's not about success with the sports teams...............it's all about the money derived from the move

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not sure why so much shade for CViv and Rutgers, because Rutgers is hardly an unfamiliar place for top recruits.
2009 Monique Oliver #6
2011 Briyona Canty #5, Betnijah Laney #11
2012 Rachel Hollivay #9
2013 Tyler Scaife #9
2014 Sierra Calhoun #16
Davenport is only ranked #13 in the 2019 class.

Reaction Score
Not sure why so much shade for CViv and Rutgers, because Rutgers is hardly an unfamiliar place for top recruits.
2009 Monique Oliver #6
2011 Briyona Canty #5, Betnijah Laney #11
2012 Rachel Hollivay #9
2013 Tyler Scaife #9
2014 Sierra Calhoun #16
Davenport is only ranked #13 in the 2019 class.

But the last top recruit, Calhoun, decamped for greener pastures pretty fast. So this appears to be the only highly ranked recruit in several years.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But the last top recruit, Calhoun, decamped for greener pastures pretty fast. So this appears to be the only highly ranked recruit in several years.
No Calhoun is class of 2014 Duke then tOSU, she arrived on the Rutgers campus this summer, i.e., pretty recently.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom