Many props to K Ollie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Many props to K Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Next time can you chug the Ollie kool aid without denigrating a couple of college aged kids that played for us last year and didn't show many, if any, signs at all of being "problem players"? Ridiculous enough we're launching crusades for a coach coming off a losing season who has beaten three cupcakes in tight games, but to trash former players for absolutely no reason other than to change the offseason narrative from "KO lost the team" to "KO cleaned house" is borderline revolting.
I don't think there was a one size fits all narrative with respect to the kids who left; each situation was different.

Personally, I like this year's collection of players better, but I stop thinking about players who leave as soon as they are out the door. So much so that I couldn't recall two of their names when I was in a conversation with someone the other day who was asking me who left. Not only couldn't I remember, but I have made no effort to refresh my memory since. Dead to me.

The only exception was Roscoe. I liked him and will never forget seeing him in Houston after the 2011 NC.

Reaction Score
Odd. I go to page two but no posts.

Any way, I think Coach O knows this is a huge season. I think he even had a meeting after last years season to go over just that.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This season will be a good test for Ollie and the program at large.

There is certainly enough high end talent on the roster with Adams, Gilbert and Larrier and seemingly quality depth filling out the roster to be an NCAA Tournament team.

I think getting into the dance simply has to be the expectation for this team to get the program on an upward trajectory again.

Reaction Score

There is certainly enough high end talent on the roster with Adams, Gilbert and Larrier and seemingly quality depth filling out the roster to be an NCAA Tournament team.

I think getting into the dance simply has to be the expectation for this team to get the program on an upward trajectory again.

That sounds nice in theory but Larrier and Adams might be the most talented players KO and UConn has for a while so we might want to set our sights a little higher than just making it to the NCAAT.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

That sounds nice in theory but Larrier and Adams might be the most talented players KO and UConn has for a while so we might want to set our sights a little higher than just making it to the NCAAT.

I believe @ConnHuskBask was saying that making the NCAAs is the minimum expectation, not the goal. If the "simply" appeared in between "think" and "getting" I would agree with you.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
2 things have to be noted

He kept the Legacy elements from Calhoun. Karl Hobbs. George Blaney. Glen Miller. And a recruiting profile - I thought - that didn't quite fit his character. Plus players. It was kinda his ... but he hadn't put a stamp on it. With Killings. With Chillious. He's moved to his own structure. It's still got Calhoun components; but he's finally turned the page.

Some have said that he doesn't know how to place kids in roles ... and I'd say the 2014 NC was all about KO figuring that out. We should expect him to be great at this.

Second, with the early exits of Daniels and others; coaching turnover; his divorce; the strange past spring, KO got really tested. This isn't anything we saw with Calhoun - he was coaching 15 years of CBB before UConn paid attention.

Some kids didn't fit. And the last year was telling. Recruiting the top 60 kids won't work if they're narcissistic and won't play team ball.

Terrific post. Your point about KO inheriting Calhoun's components while having to manage his own character was spot on. He's now finally operating fully in his style and structure... as he needs to.

KO has had a rough past few years stemming from his divorce. But I think he's finally turned the corner and I agree that he's got the right kids in the program now. Give him some time and I have no doubt he'll bring the program back to prominence. If anyone was built for the challenge, it's KO.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Still, Ollie had/has big issues beating the zone and frankly involving his front court players in the offense at all. Coaches need to grow and improve too. This is his first experience coaching. Hopefully it keeps getting better.

Think we'll have trouble this year too. It's tough to beat a zone without shooters. Larrier mid range might help, if somebody like Vital is knocking them down consistently.

Reaction Score
Think we'll have trouble this year too. It's tough to beat a zone without shooters. Larrier mid range might help, if somebody like Vital is knocking them down consistently.

Last game was the most prepared we've looked against the zone maybe in Ollie's tenure, or at least in the post-Napier/Giffey era. We didn't hit shots early, but we were getting to the spaces on the floor we needed to.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I believe @ConnHuskBask was saying that making the NCAAs is the minimum expectation, not the goal. If the "simply" appeared in between "think" and "getting" I would agree with you.

Yup. Making the NCAAs in clearly not a rebuilding year should be the expectations.

If they get in this season I guess anything can happen but I'm not sure they have a second weekend squad.

Get in and see what happens. Sure as hell beats the NIT.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Last game was the most prepared we've looked against the zone maybe in Ollie's tenure, or at least in the post-Napier/Giffey era. We didn't hit shots early, but we were getting to the spaces on the floor we needed to.

That's true, but that zone doesn't have near the length or athleticism of some we'll face.

Reaction Score
If you look at the Sagarin basketball ratings (I know it is early, but just using them as a reference), UConn is ranked 58 right now and was ranked 81 last year. Unfortunately, UConn will play a more difficult schedule this year as we currently play 6 to 7 games against the Sagarin top 10 and we only played one last year. Going by the Sagarin ratings, it looks like UConn will go 21-10 or 20-11 during the regular season. The team will have improved, but may not make the NCAAs. Will that be good enough for everyone?

pj

Reaction Score
If you look at the Sagarin basketball ratings (I know it is early, but just using them as a reference), UConn is ranked 58 right now and was ranked 81 last year. Unfortunately, UConn will play a more difficult schedule this year as we currently play 6 to 7 games against the Sagarin top 10 and we only played one last year. Going by the Sagarin ratings, it looks like UConn will go 21-10 or 20-11 during the regular season. The team will have improved, but may not make the NCAAs. Will that be good enough for everyone?

That would be very disappointing. The team is better than its Sagarin rating.

Reaction Score
That would be very disappointing. The team is better than its Sagarin rating.

Against last year's schedule, I would agree, but playing 6 or 7 top 10 schools is very tough.

Reaction Score
Against last year's schedule, I would agree, but playing 6 or 7 top 10 schools is very tough.

A good opportunity to earn a couple wins and get into the dance.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I think anyone can see he has done a great job over the last 12 months flushing out problem players. and restocking the team for the long term. I HOPE we do a 25 win season and gell at post season--but whatever the case I hope KO is the coach here a VERY long time.
Love the optimism, but most of what you just wrote holds no water, nor any connection to the current reality of the program. Either you're smoking some good ish, or you're just as delusional as you were last year my friend. Listen the Nancy, and "Just Say No"

Example 1A: (Sept 29th 2016)
Thread title: We have all the ingredian For a run to the final to win....

"I see us as having a nice mix of older players younger players probably the best depth inside in years with the key ingredient of having dynamic guards. I think the last couple of years while we had potential--it was a team in transition from a senior laden Championship team. I can see our perimeter defense stepping up this year--we'll have more speed than we did last year end to end. You like that Jalen Adams got all that great experience down the stretch and started becoming a star like player. I think we have first rd NBA talent type on this team with Enoch and Adams Brimah should be an absolute beast down low. We have 3 point shooters length everywhere ballhandling--this is going to a be a serious serious team."

-Scrappy2.0

Reaction Score
I can only guess but many of these posters who continuously rank on KO also were hoping for Shaka Smart but won't remind you of that with his wonderful 34-35 recored at Texas with some really good players.

Anyway we need to win and I believe they will. Problem is we also need to youngsters to play really well, grow up really fast to start strong record-wise and there is no guarantee of that. There needs to patience but asking some posters here for that is not worth anyone's time. Whatever issues, problems occurred they seem to be in the past with coaches, recruiting and whatever personal issues were developing. Unless they aren't competitive and show no growth at all it should stay the same. Of course there are those who will call for KO's head and we can bring someone in, kids will transfer and recruits will reneg and that would be fun. And the next guy goes 18-13 and they call for his head to.

It's not perfect right now, but I like what I see. I like what I see coming in next year. They could win 20-23 I'm not sure they will but I certainly hope they do. But no matter, it is now a process it won't help at all to make that change many of you are looking forward to. We never thought we'd have to go through that process again but it's here like it or not. Multiple changes will not make it any better. You lose KO, you probably lose Chill and Kill.

But this is the BY, there will always be the usual suspects.

Reaction Score
One reason KO will be a better coach this year is the presence of a bench. Not just better practices, take coaching or take a seat. I thought we would have 2 great guards and a wing and then, question marks. When Gilbert figures out how to shoot in shoulder armour and transition to college speed, the back court estimation may be true. Adams and Larrier are able to be great. The front court has surpassed my expectations. The chemistry is right for growth and we will know a lot in the next week.
There is nobody I want more than the coach KO can become.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I concur with the OP, although the time frame is more like 5 months

Turned over roster after end of year meetings, made staffing changes, talks about refocusing, entirely new team playing much better overall and much harder on the defensive end and most importantly, the staff is doing a great job on the recruiting trail

That's one fact the dumpster fire crowd can't spin, they can't say he hasn't proven anything yet, we're landing recruits that 6 short months ago they said we would never land again

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
At the beginning of the season - before seeing any of the three games we've seen so far - probably everyone on the board would be satisfied if a) the team won 20 or more games, b) the offense and defense looked more polished and effective, c) there were no blowout losses or WTF down-by-15-early starts to games, d) Ollie looked invigorated and "into it" on the sidelines, e) players coming back from injury were healthy, and f) we looked to be putting together a solid recruiting class.

Looking at the three games so far, with no Northeastern or Wagner losses in the early schedule, we are on track for a), b) is developing well though still needs improvement, c) remains to be seen (and tomorrow night's game will be our first real test), d) and e) are positives, and f) has already occurred. Unless I'm missing something, everything we could have hoped for is, according to Emperor Palpatine, "proceeding as I have foreseen it."

There's plenty of upside room too, but hard to be disappointed in the first month of the season. Let's go get Oregon!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I can only guess but many of these posters who continuously rank on KO also were hoping for Shaka Smart but won't remind you of that with his wonderful 34-35 recored at Texas with some really good players.

Anyway we need to win and I believe they will. Problem is we also need to youngsters to play really well, grow up really fast to start strong record-wise and there is no guarantee of that. There needs to patience but asking some posters here for that is not worth anyone's time. Whatever issues, problems occurred they seem to be in the past with coaches, recruiting and whatever personal issues were developing. Unless they aren't competitive and show no growth at all it should stay the same. Of course there are those who will call for KO's head and we can bring someone in, kids will transfer and recruits will reneg and that would be fun. And the next guy goes 18-13 and they call for his head to.

It's not perfect right now, but I like what I see. I like what I see coming in next year. They could win 20-23 I'm not sure they will but I certainly hope they do. But no matter, it is now a process it won't help at all to make that change many of you are looking forward to. We never thought we'd have to go through that process again but it's here like it or not. Multiple changes will not make it any better. You lose KO, you probably lose Chill and Kill.

But this is the BY, there will always be the usual suspects.

I find it comical that we constantly have posts saying the Ollie is a disaster and has to go, hell even on the game threads so far this year. Meanwhile, we get threads like this praising his wondrous deeds. It's mostly hogwash in both directions.

So far I see very little indication that Ollie is a superlative coach, and very little indication that he's terrible. Give him a good team, and he produces pretty good results. Give him a weak team with no bench and he doesn't. What I am willing to say so far this year is this:
  • He had the team ready to play to start the season. The flip side of that is that he didn't last year. Those first two losses are on the coach.
  • I will also give him credit for trying to jump-start the team with the press and fast-break. The flip side of that is that he has to because he's awful at coaching half court offense.
  • I'll give him credit for bringing in kids who want to be here, have heart, hands and show hustle. The four H's. The flip side of that is that he failed to recruit enough such players in prior years.
My prediction before the season was 22-24 wins and a slot in the tournament. It's what I expected. He has met my expectations, and losing to any of the teams we played would have been a failure. It is a group that is still learning to play together, so they should continue to improve. They'll need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom