Manuel to serve on council of ADs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Manuel to serve on council of ADs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am not writing this to back up Free at all, but I'd point out that even Jurich said UConn was penned in.

If I was Jurich I would say the say thing... makes him look like a superhero and feeds his ego and reputation (He's a top 10 AD one way or the other). I sure wouldn't have expected him to say - "ehhh, it was a gimmee"

Reaction Score
No. It wasn't that. It was when you made up stuff. That's when I said you talked out of your .

Not because of our AD. Or Football coach. or UoL's AD. or Tulane.

It's because you make stuff up. Lie.

I call it talking out of your . But its all the same.
What did I make up?

Reaction Score
If I was Jurich I would say the say thing... makes him look like a superhero and feeds his ego and reputation (He's a top 10 AD one way or the other). I sure wouldn't have expected him to say - "ehhh, it was a gimmee"
Upstater & I barely agree on the time of day, but what I posted is pretty consistent with the scenario he laid out, too. It is also consistent with comments Aresco recently made and those he didn't make when all this was going down. Everyone, from ACC members to Louisville to UConn to Mike Aresco to the media believed that UConn was Maryland's replacement in the ACC. Jurich led a long shot successful campaign to replace us.He found the weak links and exploited them. He was on every talk show, at every event, sent his most visible coach to every media event and even created some singing the praises of a glorified commuter school that accepts anyone with a Jr high diploma, while our side sat on their hands and sat by the pool sipping cute little umbrella drinks. He took a school that was inferior by every metric and beat one that basically sat their and took it. Choose to believe that or choose not to believe it. UConn reacted too late and reacted poorly. As a result the only hting that matters is we're in the AAC for the foreseeable future. Whether you believe me or you don't about how, that is the bottom line.

Reaction Score
Upstater & I barely agree on the time of day, but what I posted is pretty consistent with the scenario he laid out, too. It is also consistent with comments Aresco recently made and those he didn't make when all this was going down. Everyone, from ACC members to Louisville to UConn to Mike Aresco to the media believed that UConn was Maryland's replacement in the ACC. Jurich led a long shot successful campaign to replace us.He found the weak links and exploited them. He was on every talk show, at every event, sent his most visible coach to every media event and even created some singing the praises of a glorified commuter school that accepts anyone with a Jr high diploma, while our side sat on their hands and sat by the pool sipping cute little umbrella drinks. He took a school that was inferior by every metric and beat one that basically sat their and took it. Choose to believe that or choose not to believe it. UConn reacted too late and reacted poorly. As a result the only hting that matters is we're in the AAC for the foreseeable future. Whether you believe me or you don't about how, that is the bottom line.

I simply don't believe that you put enough emphasis on what Florida st. did. FSU put a gun to everyone's head.

Nothing mattered after that.

Reaction Score
KO don't like warde
Bazz thinks warde is dumb for stringing the team along
Geno doesn't like how things went with warde
warde put that new silly middle school helmet on smallwoods head for the uniform thing. he may be a 1st rounder this fall and thats what espn will pick picture wise for sure so we look like a stupid program. every kid is going to say, "man uconn is some weird bad word insert" cartoon bs little kids crap. warde needs to go play in a sandbox with kids and let men handle that job.
the BB facility was not wardes baby, he wasn't the one who pushed it and hes not the one out there every day with shiny boots pointing fingers at the cat machines and steal beams.

MORE COWBELL

My fear? Dan may be proven correct. Ask yourselves. What has been done, since the PITT and CUSE announcement, that has improved the perception or standing of UCONN athletics?

The BB facility? OK.
The WBB national championship? Nope. Remember, we're trying to impress yokels. We don't need WBB or its talkative coach upstaging the two programs that, in the end, will be the focus of any evaluation. Outside of CT, Knoxville and a very few others, nobody cares about WBB.
New, creative advertising (campaigns, not "one-offs") or promotions? Nope or they are very stealthy, I guess.

Dan's delivery is a little rough around the edges, but his message noting what seems to be a lack of any identifiable effort to create "buzz" or fan base excitement should not be discounted.

When it comes down to it, UCONN might do well to find a place in it's athletic department for a slightly toned down version of HFD. Someone who has the guts to yell,

"hey SH, hey WM, are you interested in a first class, revenue generating, championship producing Athletic Department? Because what's going on now has us perceived as being worse in FB than a school that we consistently beat by four touchdowns. Guys, this war is not going well."

Reaction Score
When UConn got left out, people started looking for reasons, scoundrels, wastrels, scapegoats. Naturally.

Reaction Score
I simply don't believe that you put enough emphasis on what Florida st. did. FSU put a gun to everyone's head.

Nothing mattered after that.

Right. So we were penned in by someone who didn't have the authority to make the decision. So in reality we weren't penned in. That's my point.

Reaction Score
Right. So we were penned in by someone who didn't have the authority to make the decision. So in reality we weren't penned in. That's my point.

You have to look at the entire timeline, not just what happened 6 months ago. This thing has evolved over years. FSU and North Carolina schools were in a big squabble long before Maryland took off for the B1G. Read my earlier post on the stuff that preceded FSU's angry demand. In 2011, for instance, the ACC rights hadn't yet been renegotiated. That's what set FSU off in this round (and apparently, the difficulty of making an ACC network is still rankling FSU!)

Reaction Score
But that's where Jurich earned his bones. He knew that and worked it. We knew that and said "we have NC and Duke in our corner. Let's not worry and let's not bother trying to bridge that gap with any of our opponents. " We were penned in by Swofford and UNC. And we did nothing to help them build support for our case. Meantime Louisville was out beating the bushes and even lining up Syracuse and Pitt to support them over us. Did we have Calhoun appear on ESPN saying of course Jim Boeheim wants UConn with them to continue what has become one of the great rivalries? Nope. That's the kind of thing we didn't do. As I said at the time, I'm not sure if Manuel dropped the ball or Susan Herbst did, but watching what has gone on before and since I am pretty comfortable saying if Manuel didn't drop it, he sure didn't recover it either. He monitored the hell out of it, though.

Reaction Score
But that's where Jurich earned his bones. He knew that and worked it. We knew that and said "we have NC and Duke in our corner. Let's not worry and let's not bother trying to bridge that gap with any of our opponents. " We were penned in by Swofford and UNC. And we did nothing to help them build support for our case. Meantime Louisville was out beating the bushes and even lining up Syracuse and Pitt to support them over us. Did we have Calhoun appear on ESPN saying of course Jim Boeheim wants UConn with them to continue what has become one of the great rivalries? Nope. That's the kind of thing we didn't do. As I said at the time, I'm not sure if Manuel dropped the ball or Susan Herbst did, but watching what has gone on before and since I am pretty comfortable saying if Manuel didn't drop it, he sure didn't recover it either. He monitored the hell out of it, though.

FSU wanted Louisville.

CASE CLOSED.

Reaction Score
I am pretty comfortable saying if Manuel didn't drop it, he sure didn't recover it either. He monitored the hell out of it, though.

That's the only point I'm trying to make. We are all speculating on whether it would have made a difference. And that is fine. It is just clear to me that there were enough moving pieces such that success was never guaranteed. That being said, I'd trade Warde for Jurich in a heartbeat. I just don't think the simple statement that "It is Warde and Herbst's fault that we aren't in the ACC" is a fair one. And that is one that gets a lot of play here. Lots of blame to go around.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
i posted this elsewhere today, but maybe it belongs here...

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/45009/tom-jurich-is-louisvilles-mvp
Tom Jurich is Louisville's MVP

But when Maryland left for the Big Ten, Jurich had his second chance. If you know Tom Jurich, then you know he was not going to let this opportunity slip away. He started being proactive. And he ignored all the outside speculation that UConn was next in line to join the ACC. So much so, that a recent conversation about how Louisville got into the ACC went this way:

How did you outmaneuver UConn to get into the ACC?

"I didn’t outmaneuver anybody," Jurich said. "I just put our story out there."

Well, UConn was thought to be the favorite to get the spot.

"Nobody told me that," Jurich said. "So I just worried about selling Louisville. That’s all I worried about."

I think he's forgetting when he said this:
Jurich worked the people he knew. After he won, he said, "We were definitely the underdogs. People had UConn not penciled in, but penned in."

Reaction Score
There is absolutely no question that he outmaneuvered the UConn AD. Unfortunately, it will years and years to recover from this blunder, if ever.

Reaction Score
That's the only point I'm trying to make. We are all speculating on whether it would have made a difference. And that is fine. It is just clear to me that there were enough moving pieces such that success was never guaranteed. That being said, I'd trade Warde for Jurich in a heartbeat. I just don't think the simple statement that "It is Warde and Herbst's fault that we aren't in the ACC" is a fair one. And that is one that gets a lot of play here. Lots of blame to go around.
I guess I view it that it wasn't only Warde's fault nor only Susan's fault. obviously Jurich did a great job, too. But I don't get the impression from anything I've read or anything I've heard that our side put up much of a contest. Again my impression, but either A) they believed we in fact had it tied down so they didn't have to do anything, which with my limited political experience I can tell you is always a mistake, B) they didn't know how to build a case, which is perhaps the most troubling option, or C) they got caught flatfooted and couldn't ever regain the momentum. but none of those give the impression of great leadership or a group who has its act together. I suppose there is a 4th option, that for some reason they wanted to de-emphasize athletics and saw getting left behind as opening the way to that, but while I sometimes say that in frustration, I'm not at all convinced that its true. I am convinced, though, that Susan doesn't care all that much about sports.

Reaction Score
Having spoken to her personally she does not give me that impression.

Also, that she is inviting the NYC chapter to her box (go ahead and make jokes) for the MD game means I think she cares about NYC. And sports.

Reaction Score
My sense is that Susan very much cares about sports but not so much as a fan. She views UConn athletics more as an engine to help raise funds for the University. She attends many Husky sporting events but sees very little of them. Her time there is used to chat up donors.

Reaction Score
My sense is you know no more or no less than anyone else here the majority of the time but craft your responses and comments to make it appear to be gospel if you don't look for the subtle disclaimers.;)
No, he crafts his responses to get a rise out of people. free's the definition of a troll.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
My sense is that Susan very much cares about sports but not so much as a fan. She views UConn athletics more as an engine to help raise funds for the University. She attends many Husky sporting events but sees very little of them. Her time there is used to chat up donors.
Which is probably what she should be doing anyway. But if she sees athletics as an engine to raise funds, then it follows logically that as the athletics teams win more it makes it easier to raise more money. Everyone knows that when the bball teams win NC's it helps applications and also donations. So even if SH isn't a rabid fan who knows the blitz percentages of the defense or Bazz's free throw percentage she's going to use her power as president to help all UConn sports be successful (despite one or two boneyarders who seem to think women administrators hate sports, or something).

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Which is probably what she should be doing anyway. But if she sees athletics as an engine to raise funds, then it follows logically that as the athletics teams win more it makes it easier to raise more money. Everyone knows that when the bball teams win NC's it helps applications and also donations. So even if SH isn't a rabid fan who knows the blitz percentages of the defense or Bazz's free throw percentage she's going to use her power as president to help all UConn sports be successful (despite one or two boneyarders who seem to think women administrators hate sports, or something).

I assume this was aimed at me. I would just like to say my attacks on Susan as president have nothing to do with her being a women vs man and for the sake of this my anger towards warde has nothing to do with black vs white. I would just like to make this clear.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I assume this was aimed at me. I would just like to say my attacks on Susan as president have nothing to do with her being a women vs man and for the sake of this my anger towards warde has nothing to do with black vs white. I would just like to make this clear.
It wasn't you, it may have been bluedogs or alum69 or another limbaugh dittohead type geezer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom