MAnthony: How Geno could manage deep, talented roster | Page 2 | The Boneyard

MAnthony: How Geno could manage deep, talented roster

Reaction Score
This strategy you site for the “finish” is used by every single coach with every roster they have. After all, you can only play 5 people at a time and in an end game situation one person might be switched in and out for offensive/defensive purposes. When this happens, as it most certainly will, it proves nothing in regards to how deep the coach wants to go.

I assume that what you really meant instead of the finish of a close game is the depth the coach will use throughout the game against a good opponent when the finish might be projected to be close. In that case the proof for or against your claim will not be the 5 or 6 players used at the “finish” of a game against a team like SC, since that is a given, but rather how many players get 10+ minutes over the whole game, which will have an impact on the stamina of the 5 or 6 who do finish the game.

As you say, we will see.
The big difference this year is the load of talent Geno has to choose from....I remember when Stewie was playing and the team did not have the go to talent on the bench to use, and most players were in games for 30-35 minutes. With Stewie, Mo, and Morgan they did not need it.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The big difference this year is the load of talent Geno has to choose from....I remember when Stewie was playing and the team did not have the go to talent on the bench to use, and most players were in games for 30-35 minutes. With Stewie, Mo, and Morgan they did not need it.

Those Stewart teams had lots of talent behind the big three, just not a large roster, and two of the spots were taken by walk-ons.

We'll see how this year plays out, but don't be surprised if he mainly sticks with 9 players, maybe 10.

Reaction Score
It's a simple solution how to manage a deep roster like what UCONN potentially has if players such as Paige and Azzi and CWill are as good as we think. The simple solution is to play them and allow your super players to blow out the opposition by half or mid 3rd qtr through execution and not press press press. That will lead to more eventual time for the bench.

Paige Bueckers is supposedly the best player in WCBB; so play like it. Azzi Fudd is supposedly close to Paige and an off-the-charts 3 pt shooter; so play like it. CWill is a former number 1 recruit that played terrific in 2nd half of last year at or equal to A/A level; so play like it. This is 3 potential A/A caliber type players (not saying all 3 will be a/a). Add in Evina we understand is healthy and was a former number 2 overall recruit, and has aspirations for WNBA if healthy; so play like it. Nika shot 37.3% from 3 once she got her feet wet, and before her late season injuries, and is an amazing passer; so play like it. Dorka and Edwards should be legit scoring weapons; so play like it. Liv is a terrific defender with terrific athleticism, and a very good passer for a center with WNBA aspirations; so play like it.

I'm open to Ducharme and Griffin (and Mir and Saylor) as an example, but just looking at the above 8 players; who thinks this combination is going to wear down other than vs a super elite team that for example gets the centers into foul trouble? You mean if you (UCONN) don’t press press press then that still means that the 5 perimeter players (18-22 year old guards) for UCONN are going to wear down? SO if they aren't going to wear down and they are what we closely expect them to be, how exactly can any team "out-execute" UCONN? And why would the guards such as Paige have to worry about "mix-and-Match?" And if Azzi is near Paige then how is it UCONN should worry about "mix-and-match?" And the same goes for CWill etc.

As long as they are fit and healthy, I just don’t agree one bit with taking your superstars out other than a few minutes in a tight game unless foul trouble or one is struggling mightily makes any sense.

**Bottomline is - play to your capabilities and then there will be more minutes for several more players. The stars need to shine. Give them the chance to show they can.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn could press most of their opponents and win by 45 instead of 35. And against top teams pressing is a losing proposition. What is effective is tight man to man with ball pressure, forcing the play. It's tough to do that when your rotation is 7 players because it racks up fouls. I expect to see UConn's defense surprise everyone this season.
well, I would definitely be among the surprised.

Reaction Score
I think that Geno has a really good problem to solve. He has on board two great college level teams on his roster. I am fully confident that he can pick and choose at will on how he wants to position his players. I expect to be fully delighted all season long watching this talent progress into one of the best teams in the country.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom