MAnthony: How Geno could manage deep, talented roster | The Boneyard

MAnthony: How Geno could manage deep, talented roster

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

There are options. There is versatility. There are 200 available minutes of playing time per game. Freshman Azzi Fudd is a virtual lock to play a prominent backcourt role. Post player Dorka Juhasz, a transfer from Ohio State, is similarly expected to log heavy minutes in the frontcourt.

A focus early in practice, which began Oct. 8, has been to extend the Huskies’ offense and the opposing defense. That means pushing post players to get comfortable shooting from the outside. Auriemma expects better success from Nelson-Ododa and Edwards in that area. He has had multiple players who fit more than one position continually switch groups during practice.

Reaction Score

There are options. There is versatility. There are 200 available minutes of playing time per game. Freshman Azzi Fudd is a virtual lock to play a prominent backcourt role. Post player Dorka Juhasz, a transfer from Ohio State, is similarly expected to log heavy minutes in the frontcourt.

A focus early in practice, which began Oct. 8, has been to extend the Huskies’ offense and the opposing defense. That means pushing post players to get comfortable shooting from the outside. Auriemma expects better success from Nelson-Ododa and Edwards in that area. He has had multiple players who fit more than one position continually switch groups during practice.
why do people on BY constantly post articles that prompt you to subscribe to their publication and you can't read them unless you do? is there a hustle going on where you get a kickback when new subscribers to their digital platform subscribe? If so how can I get in on it ? If not please stop posting articles that want you subscribe to them in order to read it..thx

Reaction Score
Geno will mix and match players early in the season, but if a game is close, only 6 or 7 players will be on the court for the finish. The starting 5 from late last season, plus a post player and a guard.

Reaction Score
Good article; fills in some of the pieces. Eg, explains why Saylor was seeing working with forwards.

For anyone who was writing off Muhl, Geno's comments indicate otherwise.

A little concerned to hear Geno say "when Liv is in trouble, we are in trouble." I was hoping for her, indeed everyone, to have a smaller role this year so we're not dependent on any one player and can better mix & match when needed. [Not that that's ruled out.]

Good to hear that E is healthier.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A little concerned to hear Geno say "when Liv is in trouble, we are in trouble." I was hoping for her, indeed everyone, to have a smaller role this year so we're not dependent on any one player and can better mix & match when needed. [Not that that's ruled out.]
Geno was talking about foul trouble last year. Context:

Of Nelson-Ododa, Auriemma said, “We count on Liv for a lot of things. One of the stats that came out of last year was that every time Liv got in foul trouble, our team was in big trouble. Now that might be a little bit different because maybe we have more people to help out this year.”

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno will mix and match players early in the season, but if a game is close, only 6 or 7 players will be on the court for the finish. The starting 5 from late last season, plus a post player and a guard.
Are you getting that from anything in this article? I'm getting the opposite POV specifically from this Geno quote:

We can put people in for what we need,” Auriemma said. “I thought last year we were kind of stuck in that the same players had to play extended minutes. And, hopefully, that won’t be the case this year.

I don't think Geno is making any commitments about how he will handle the start of the season or close games based on what the team was last year.

Reaction Score
Not too much more than we already knew.
Many more options and (quasi) interchangeable pieces.
Base it, for example, same starting 5 as last year.
Nika picks up 2 quick fouls, in comes Azzi.
Liv picks up 2, in comes Dorka and/or Aaliyah.
I’m confident that the opponents will be unable to substitute in kind talent-meaning that UCONN’s quality depth will create insurmountable match up problems for most opponents.
Really waiting on this season to begin.

Reaction Score
why do people on BY constantly post articles that prompt you to subscribe to their publication and you can't read them unless you do? is there a hustle going on where you get a kickback when new subscribers to their digital platform subscribe? If so how can I get in on it ? If not please stop posting articles that want you subscribe to them in order to read it..thx
Welcome to the Boneyard. Been here less than 5 months, and you're already telling folks how to post.

Just because you don't subscribe, doesn't mean others on the BY don't.

Reaction Score
Geno was talking about foul trouble last year. Context:

Of Nelson-Ododa, Auriemma said, “We count on Liv for a lot of things. One of the stats that came out of last year was that every time Liv got in foul trouble, our team was in big trouble. Now that might be a little bit different because maybe we have more people to help out this year.”
Thanks. The version I was reading was getting cut off, so I missed that last sentence.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
why do people on BY constantly post articles that prompt you to subscribe to their publication and you can't read them unless you do? is there a hustle going on where you get a kickback when new subscribers to their digital platform subscribe? If so how can I get in on it ?
not for you .gif

Reaction Score
Welcome to the Boneyard. Been here less than 5 months, and you're already telling folks how to post.

Just because you don't subscribe, doesn't mean others on the BY don't.
Guess you don’t want to buy a vowel....

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Try using something like Outline that will allow you to read without paying. For an occasional read, it works fine. Both CTInsider and Courant articles can be viewed that way.

Reaction Score
Are you getting that from anything in this article? I'm getting the opposite POV specifically from this Geno quote:

We can put people in for what we need,” Auriemma said. “I thought last year we were kind of stuck in that the same players had to play extended minutes. And, hopefully, that won’t be the case this year.

I don't think Geno is making any commitments about how he will handle the start of the season or close games based on what the team was last year.
I'm getting it from the many years I have seen Geno use that agenda. Maybe this year will be different, we will find out soon enough.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

An excellent read. Thanks for posting Cat. :)

Reaction Score
Not too much more than we already knew.
Many more options and (quasi) interchangeable pieces.
Base it, for example, same starting 5 as last year.
Nika picks up 2 quick fouls, in comes Azzi.
Liv picks up 2, in comes Dorka and/or Aaliyah.
I’m confident that the opponents will be unable to substitute in kind talent-meaning that UCONN’s quality depth will create insurmountable match up problems for most opponents.
Really waiting on this season to begin.
Geno should not be using his bench just in case of foul trouble. In 2000 he used players in waves and by the fourth quarter there best players who had been harassed full court wore down. He should wear teams down. To many teams are talented in the top 5 to 7. Remember when the Patriots beat the Falcons in the Super Bowl. There bench mark was 90 offensive plays. They trailed most of the game but Atlanta ran out of gas. Full court defence and run every second of the game. Uconn's 2nd 5 is a top 20 team and players 11 through 14 would start to at many D1 schools. Tara put trust on her bench last year and it paid off. Run run run!

Reaction Score
Geno should not be using his bench just in case of foul trouble. In 2000 he used players in waves and by the fourth quarter there best players who had been harassed full court wore down. He should wear teams down. To many teams are talented in the top 5 to 7. Remember when the Patriots beat the Falcons in the Super Bowl. There bench mark was 90 offensive plays. They trailed most of the game but Atlanta ran out of gas. Full court defence and run every second of the game. Uconn's 2nd 5 is a top 20 team and players 11 through 14 would start to at many D1 schools. Tara put trust on her bench last year and it paid off. Run run run!
Agree completely. We can use our bench more and be running up the score at the same time by doing so. The reason is fatigue. Fast paced on both ends reduces the number of effective minutes for the starters on both sides. If instead of playing starters about 30 minutes and a second unit around 10, suppose our face paced style of play changed that to starters 25 minutes and bench 15.

If our bench is playing against opponents bench players for 15 vs. 10 minutes, the margin of victory should be higher. The margin between our bench and the opponents bench, should be even greater than our starters vs. their starters this year. So you may say if the opponent doesn't have a strong bench then they won't go to it, and won't reduce their starter minutes. Fine is would be their gassed starters playing far below their best, against our fresh bench players who are probably better than their starters even if they were rested.

Just using a full second unit, or a 10 player rotation mostly helps our overworked starters playing heavy minutes like Paige and Christyn. Making the game more of a battle of the benches requires an exhausting pace that forces opponents to either use their bench much more, or have very very tired starters that are running on fumes. Either way this year's very high quality depth gives Geno a strategic option that could very well expand the margin of victory and get more value from that bench.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Agree completely. We can use our bench more and be running up the score at the same time by doing so. The reason is fatigue. Fast paced on both ends reduces the number of effective minutes for the starters on both sides. If instead of playing starters about 30 minutes and a second unit around 10, suppose our face paced style of play changed that to starters 25 minutes and bench 15.

If our bench is playing against opponents bench players for 15 vs. 10 minutes, the margin of victory should be higher. The margin between our bench and the opponents bench, should be even greater than our starters vs. their starters this year. So you may say if the opponent doesn't have a strong bench then they won't go to it, and won't reduce their starter minutes. Fine is would be their gassed starters playing far below their best, against our fresh bench players who are probably better than their starters even if they were rested.

Just using a full second unit, or a 10 player rotation mostly helps our overworked starters playing heavy minutes like Paige and Christyn. Making the game more of a battle of the benches requires an exhausting pace that forces opponents to either use their bench much more, or have very very tired starters that are running on fumes. Either way this year's very high quality depth gives Geno a strategic option that could very well expand the margin of victory and get more value from that bench.
I honestly don’t think fatigue is a factor for UConn. Other than maybe 1 or 2 players, just about every Husky is capable of going hard for 40 minutes if they had to. The challenge really lies in mixing and matching a deep lineup to change the tempo or take advantage of matchups without hindering overall team execution.

For instance, Aubrey provides instant energy off the bench with defense, rebounding and by running the court. But she’s not necessarily an outside shooting threat. So if Geno wants to speed up the game, force bad shots and turnovers, subbing Aubrey in for a better shooter is one way to get it done.

Reaction Score
I would love it if we could see a return to the 2015 and 2016 seasons where Stewie and company would come out and just press full court at top speed for the first half with some subs mixed in and get a big lead. They were efficient, businesslike because they knew that was really the quality minutes they were going to get before the second half where it would be round robin with waves of fresh legs until the inevitable end of the game....

Reaction Score

If our bench is playing against opponents bench players for 15 vs. 10 minutes, the margin of victory should be higher. The margin between our bench and the opponents bench, should be even greater than our starters vs. their starters this year. So you may say if the opponent doesn't have a strong bench then they won't go to it, and won't reduce their starter minutes. Fine is would be their gassed starters playing far below their best, against our fresh bench players who are probably better than their starters even if they were rested.ed the

I have offered up the proposition of press-press- press until the opponent caves under the pressure.
Got shot down by some BYers stating something about the guards not having the foot speed to effectively press?
Really?
My contention remains that an effective press is built on desire , stamina and anticipation.
This roster has enough elite athletes to pretty much pressure the opposition so hard that we’ll feel sorry for them and beg Geno to call of the dogs (players) off.
JMHO

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
why do people on BY constantly post articles that prompt you to subscribe to their publication and you can't read them unless you do?
I can read this article and I don't have a subscription. Are you sure it requires a subscription?
I periodically post articles that require a subscription which I don't have because I want to know what it contains and some person on the board will have a subscription. This kind person generally will then post a few quotes from the article and/or provide the gist of the article. For example yesterday I posted a subscription article regarding who is up and who is down on the team. Some kind person, in this case D J B, provided the crux of the article. Thank you kind person, D J B! You see how this works? :)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I can read this article and I don't have a subscription. Are you sure it requires a subscription?
I periodically post articles that require a subscription which I don't have because I want to know what it contains and some person on the board will have a subscription. This kind person generally will then post a few quotes from the article and/or provide the gist of the article. For example yesterday I posted a subscription article regarding who is up and who is down on the team. Some kind person, in this case D J B, provided the crux of the article. Thank you kind person, D J B! You see how this works? :)
Me too. It may have something to do with your "AD-Blocker". For that site, mine is turned on. Not saying that - that is a fix, just that like Beercats, I had no problem reading the article.

Reaction Score
OK I finally bit the bullet. $0.99 for a season. I guess I can do that. Add in the cost for the pre-season tournament I think I will get a ton of bang for very little. Sure I'd rather everything was as free as my lunch :D.

Reaction Score
I have offered up the proposition of press-press- press until the opponent caves under the pressure.
Got shot down by some BYers stating something about the guards not having the foot speed to effectively press?
Really?
My contention remains that an effective press is built on desire , stamina and anticipation.
This roster has enough elite athletes to pretty much pressure the opposition so hard that we’ll feel sorry for them and beg Geno to call of the dogs (players) off.
JMHO

UConn could press most of their opponents and win by 45 instead of 35. And against top teams pressing is a losing proposition. What is effective is tight man to man with ball pressure, forcing the play. It's tough to do that when your rotation is 7 players because it racks up fouls. I expect to see UConn's defense surprise everyone this season.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
This strategy you site for the “finish” is used by every single coach with every roster they have. After all, you can only play 5 people at a time and in an end game situation one person might be switched in and out for offensive/defensive purposes. When this happens, as it most certainly will, it proves nothing in regards to how deep the coach wants to go.

I assume that what you really meant instead of the finish of a close game is the depth the coach will use throughout the game against a good opponent when the finish might be projected to be close. In that case the proof for or against your claim will not be the 5 or 6 players used at the “finish” of a game against a team like SC, since that is a given, but rather how many players get 10+ minutes over the whole game, which will have an impact on the stamina of the 5 or 6 who do finish the game.

As you say, we will see.

Reaction Score
I honestly don’t think fatigue is a factor for UConn. Other than maybe 1 or 2 players, just about every Husky is capable of going hard for 40 minutes if they had to. The challenge really lies in mixing and matching a deep lineup to change the tempo or take advantage of matchups without hindering overall team execution.

For instance, Aubrey provides instant energy off the bench with defense, rebounding and by running the court. But she’s not necessarily an outside shooting threat. So if Geno wants to speed up the game, force bad shots and turnovers, subbing Aubrey in for a better shooter is one way to get it done.
I think Uconn players are better conditioned than most by far, and two last year played around 35 minutes a game. That is way way more than most team's starters, and despite not playing the last few minutes of blowouts. I probably agree with your comments more than just about anybody else, but this time I am pretty different.

I think there are very few players that can be as effective on a per minute basis for 40 minutes, than they could be closer to 30 for most and maybe 35 for very well conditioned. Most starters play in the 28-30 minute range. I think there is a reason for that. Yes stars play more, perhaps because they have better ,but also because many coaches would prefer a tired star to a fresh but far inferior bench player.

When the drop-off to the substitute is minimal, the starter can play the number of minutes they are capable of playing full out, there is no need to milk a few more minutes at less than their best. I think both Paige and Christyn could have been a little more effective in fewer minutes.

Uconn's pace last year was only slightly above average, despite obviously causing more turnovers than most teams. We basically didn't push the pace that much on either side of the ball. That was one reason Geno was able to get high minutes from Paige and Christyn. If we pressed and were fast breaking all the time those minutes would have needed to come down substantially to keep them at their top effectiveness.

We will see, my guess is that Geno will use close to 10 players, but not change the pace on both ends as much as I would like to see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom