Man, Dom Amore does a great job doesn't he? | The Boneyard

Man, Dom Amore does a great job doesn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not a word about possibly moving to the ACC, but we got a new mailbag question answered about what it's like to sit with Calhoun during a game.

This guy is a real pro.

Reaction Score
what is there to say, nobody knows anything on that front. I actually think Amore has improved quite a bit since last year, as far as team coverage and what has been going on this year since practice started he's been just as good as Duffy/Borges.

Reaction Score
He's been ok. I agree that it's annoying not knowing whats going on with conference realignment, but I think everything is staying strictly behind closed doors until right before an announcement. It's either people are making quick decisions in a matter of days or everything is kept strictly under raps for months until about 3 days before a major move is made. What do you think? My bet is 100% on the latter

Reaction Score
Not a word about possibly moving to the ACC, but we got a new mailbag question answered about what it's like to sit with Calhoun during a game.

This guy is a real pro.

Dom reads the Boneyard to learn all things UConn.

Reaction Score
I dunno. I liked Mike Anthony, he seemed way more interested in the team. And while I agree there's not a ton to say right now, it's a little weird that all this conference realignment is going on, very potentially involving Uconn basketball, and you don't even mention it in a short post? he comes off as oblivious.

Reaction Score
It seems that Amore is more passionate about pro football and baseball than college basketball. Duffy has 100 times more passion than Amore. For example, I believe someone asked him how good he thought a certain team playing in the tournament is and he replied that he had to watch them play a game in the tourney first. It would seem he would have access to game tape to watch the teams play that could match up against uconn. Maybe i'm wrong. but if so, than it shows he doesn't really love college basketball, but just does the minimum to fulfill his job.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I dunno. I liked Mike Anthony, he seemed way more interested in the team. And while I agree there's not a ton to say right now, it's a little weird that all this conference realignment is going on, very potentially involving Uconn basketball, and you don't even mention it in a short post? he comes off as oblivious.
I think he comes off as responsible. It's not like it is a slow news day for UConn basketball. They just came off a 2 OT win late last night and play tonight. Nothing has happened in regards to Rutgers yet (expected tomorrow) and, like Desmond Conner on the football side, Mr. Amore is primarily paid to be a beat writer, not a blogger. Rest assured, we will hear something when it happens. There's lots of goingson behind closed doors.

Reaction Score
UConn did not try to pursue any reversal of its Big East Tournament ineligibility at the league's presidents' meeting in Chicago this week. Sensing that they would get nowhere, school officials chose to move on, school sources said. … Jim Calhoun on the possible moves of Maryland and Rutgers to the Big Ten: "I said months ago that [conference realignment] wasn't going to stop and it hasn't stopped," he said. Neither Calhoun nor any other UConn officials at this tournament had heard of any talks yet with the ACC, which would want a 14th team if it lost Maryland.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men/hc-uconn-men-notebook-1119-20121118,0,4126397.story

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
People still bother to read Dom's stuff?

Duffy head and shoulders above everyone.
Borges is next best. All others almost not worth reading.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
These threads are far more annoying than anything Amore might or might not do.

There's been no contact with the ACC. Not sure how many different ways people need to read that before it sets in.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
These threads are far more annoying than anything Amore might or might not do.

There's been no contact with the ACC. Not sure how many different ways people need to read that before it sets in.

It hasnt set in with me yet. Obviously many different threads here on the issue, so I probably missed it. How again do you know that no contact's been made?

Reaction Score
supposedly reliable person tweeted uconn to acc as soon as tomorrow. It has been retweeted by very credible sources. That is atleast something, but I don't expect Dom to be the first to know this stuff

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
supposedly reliable person tweeted uconn to acc as soon as tomorrow. It has been retweeted by very credible sources. That is atleast something, but I don't expect Dom to be the first to know this stuff
1) Always better to be right than first.
2) Mr. Amore is covering his beat. You may have heard that the team he covers is playing tonight in the Virgin Islands. It's not his job to contribute to speculation and unsubstantiated conjecture.

Dribbles

Mrs. Dribbles
Reaction Score

Am in the Amore camp in that I feel he now writes with confidence in a beat brand new to him. But, there is nobody who can compete with Mike Anthony; he's very, very special.

Reaction Score
Too bad Mike Anthony never got a chance to sit courtside with Calhoun during a UCONN game. Amore doesn't deserve that honor. Anthony will be next to impossible to replace. I really enjoyed reading his articles and blog. Duffy is probably the next best thing as far as his passion for the beat.

Reaction Score
besides the pickup games reports, which as we have found out don't mean anything, I don't see what Anthony did that was any better than what Duffy/Borges/Amore do now. Do ya'll miss his mailbag feature where he "answered" 25 different questions with a seperate blog post?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
This does seem like re-writing history. Anthony was generally considered adequate on The Boneyard, but never one of the best. I thought he was okay. Duffy is the one setting the new standard now. Amore has picked it up compared to how he started.

Reaction Score
1) Always better to be right than first.
2) Mr. Amore is covering his beat. You may have heard that the team he covers is playing tonight in the Virgin Islands. It's not his job to contribute to speculation and unsubstantiated conjecture.

yes, that is why I said I don't expect him to break news on conference changes. However, every uconn fan who cares enough to read his articles cares WAAAAY more about conference realignment right now than a game against new mexico in the virgin islands in a year that uconn can't play in the post season. Again, I don't expect breaking news from him about conference realignments or recruits when the season is under way, but it seems like mike anthony was very aware and on top of the situations of some of the top recruits we were going after when he was the writer. I'm looking for inside information from a beat writer and not just the basics of what is happening with the team. Obviously it's just my opinion and I realize that I have high expectations. Kevin Duffy is going above and beyond what I expect though. So it can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom