MAL at the NEPSAC championships | Page 2 | The Boneyard

MAL at the NEPSAC championships

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Great to hear this about MAL
Really happy that he is used to winning on the court also
However, anyone who says that the guys on the current team are comfortable in losing is a complete.........
NO athlete is comfortable - even on winless teams
Just a complete BS statement IMO

C

Chief00

Hopefully one lesson we learned this year is Calhoun as usual was right. You don't save open scholarships, give them to walkons, etc. You use them on guys that could possibly help you especially if injuries or foul situations happen. Plus they make practice more competitive. When you practice against guys who are not elite athletes, the injury rate goes up.

Reaction Score
Hopefully one lesson we learned this year is Calhoun as usual was right. You don't save open scholarships, give them to walkons, etc. You use them on guys that could possibly help you especially if injuries or foul situations happen. Plus they make practice more competitive. When you practice against guys who are not elite athletes, the injury rate goes up.

But--they have to be players. Don't give them to Robert Garrison and Darius Trice. That's not going to help. I think even Calhoun understood that after his experiences with them.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Scholarships were left empty for the dream of filling them with players like Diallo, Richards and Bamba. In hindsight, at least one of them should have be filled by a combo guard for depth, but that is hindsight.

In regard to bigs for next year, we already have 5 returning players and two committed players who could potentially contribute. Vance Jackson and Terry Larrier have already played some four for UConn and they have shown that they rebound the ball fairly well. Next year they will likely both have a bit more muscle. Although it has been subtle, Juwan and Steve have made small improvements in defense over the season and are looking more comfortable on the floor. Steve looked unstoppable on offense for a short stretch against Houston. Juwan has been rebounding better as the year goes along and has been improving a bit on defense. He also seems comfortable handling and passing the ball (rare trait among UConn bigs lately). Mamadou is an unknown, but he has had a year to hit the weights and learn. He was purportedly a high energy guy in prep school who really hit the boards and that is something we really need.
Committed we have Carlton, who knows how to finish inside, passes the ball well and blocks some shots. He needs some muscle before he will likely be effective as a college five. Polley has a very nice shooting touch and attacks defenders on the inside in a similar way to Facey. He will likely still grow a bit, but could play some minutes at the 4.
Among these six, someone will likely have a big breakthrough and the others will show steady improvement. At a minimum six bigs means that up to 30 fouls are available.
Add a rugged, experienced big from grad transfer or JUCO and I think we will be good to go

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hopefully one lesson we learned this year is Calhoun as usual was right. You don't save open scholarships, give them to walkons, etc. You use them on guys that could possibly help you especially if injuries or foul situations happen.
Until he had to run off a bunch of reaches and ended up on probation.

Reaction Score
Classic Chief....I agree w not banking the ships. But to suggest that's what caused our injury problem?? That is outlandish, even for you!

Reaction Score
I like the idea of bringing in a guy for whom losing is a foreign experience.

The current team is too familiar and comfortable with it.
Typically D1 players attending top schools have great resumes, leading the team to high winning percentages. Quite often its State Championships or late rounds. I can't recall too many top prospects from losing HS teams.

That's not to discount talent who may be on a poor performing team, but just saying its rare, particularly on the guard level. Just saying HS stars are the top recruits, anyone else gets picked up by mid=majors and unranked D1 teams. They are not associated with losing.

H

huskymagic

The problem we have lately is not that our players come from losing cultures at the high school levels, but the fact that they are not reacting or responding well to adversity. I like MAL,he's got a good handle and is athletic, but he doesn't have much of a left hand and his jumper while having good form on it is not reliable. He looks to be a clone of Jalen game wise. What we need his for him to be a 1 and done or a 2 and done type top 20 talent to take this team to another level. He needs to be at Ryan Boatright freshman level, Shabazz freshman level, Jeremy freshman level for this team to take the next step.
You can't rely on Alterique with his history of chronic bad shoulders although it would be great if he turns out to be great for us. We also need players who can play 30 minutes without acting like they ran a marathon against the ECU and Tulsas of the world.

What we need is for our players coming in and those returning to play with a bulldog mentality and a can't lose mentality. We need our players to stop getting bullied and play like men and impose their physical and athletic will on opposing teams. Polley and Carlton are not going to cut it physicality wise.

C

Chief00

Classic Chief....I agree w not banking the ships. But to suggest that's what caused our injury problem?? That is outlandish, even for you!

Young fellow - you need to re-read - I did not say that caused our injuries this year. But, anyone who's paid competitive ball will tell you - you feel much safer playing with good athletes than uncoordinated ones. Also, guys who can't move their feet tend to grab .

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
When you practice against guys who are not elite athletes, the injury rate goes up.

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

Even for you Chief, that comment is insane.
I hate to even quote you since I'm pretty sure you only post nonsense just for attention.

But wow, that's a whole different level of dumb.

Reaction Score
The problem we have lately is not that our players come from losing cultures at the high school levels, but the fact that they are not reacting or responding well to adversity. I like MAL,he's got a good handle and is athletic, but he doesn't have much of a left hand and his jumper while having good form on it is not reliable. He looks to be a clone of Jalen game wise. What we need his for him to be a 1 and done or a 2 and done type top 20 talent to take this team to another level. He needs to be at Ryan Boatright freshman level, Shabazz freshman level, Jeremy freshman level for this team to take the next step.
You can't rely on Alterique with his history of chronic bad shoulders although it would be great if he turns out to be great for us. We also need players who can play 30 minutes without acting like they ran a marathon against the ECU and Tulsas of the world.

What we need is for our players coming in and those returning to play with a bulldog mentality and a can't lose mentality. We need our players to stop getting bullied and play like men and impose their physical and athletic will on opposing teams. Polley and Carlton are not going to cut it physicality wise.

That's a great speech but it's not going to transform Freshmen and Sophomores into players that can compete with and dominate Juniors and Seniors on good teams like Cincy and SMU. Unless you're Kentucky most prospects need time to develop. We may end up with a couple of those talented kids on the roster but they need to be complemented with solid Juniors and Seniors that reach their potential.
Still looking forward to the possibility of that happening next year.

Bulldogs or not the possibility of a dramatic turnaround next year is there if our guys stay healthy. One key would be Enoch polishing his offensive game and passing. Could open up a lot of other options on offense that will be there next year.

Reaction Score
That's a great speech but it's not going to transform Freshmen and Sophomores into players that can compete with and dominate Juniors and Seniors on good teams like Cincy and SMU. Unless you're Kentucky most prospects need time to develop. We may end up with a couple of those talented kids on the roster but they need to be complemented with solid Juniors and Seniors that reach their potential.
Still looking forward to the possibility of that happening next year.

Bulldogs or not the possibility of a dramatic turnaround next year is there if our guys stay healthy. One key would be Enoch polishing his offensive game and passing. Could open up a lot of other options on offense that will be there next year.
I've seen mal play 4 or 5 times with him not doing very much mostly against not great competition.....so i didn't think much of him .....talked to a couple of d1 assistants who have seen him play extensively and these spoke very highly of him.....he can get to the basket better than anyone they 'd seen......that would be great since i'm not a big adams fan.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

Even for you Chief, that comment is insane.
I hate to even quote you since I'm pretty sure you only post nonsense just for attention.

But wow, that's a whole different level of dumb.
Seems to be the new level for some time now. And he's working hard to not be outdone by magic.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I can't say this from experience, but it makes sense too me that playing with higher caliber athletes would reduce risk of injury compared to playing with people which possess slower reaction times, less ability to control their movements, et.

Reaction Score
I can't say this from experience, but it makes sense too me that playing with higher caliber athletes would reduce risk of injury compared to playing with people which possess slower reaction times, less ability to control their movements, et.

Imo that has more to do with people who are genuinely not basketball players, and flail and push and what not. a mike noyes type knows how to not hurt people playing the game.

Just imo though.

C

Chief00

That's absolutely correct. Some of these posters know zero about basketball.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Here are the Wilson-specific highlights from that game:

Kid's a dunker.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members