Makurat Keeping Busy | The Boneyard

Makurat Keeping Busy

Reaction Score
Conditions in Poland are allowing the national federation to have a two and a half week training camp for potential national team players and Anna was one of the players brought in:
PZKosz_2020_Powo%C5%82ania_02(1).png

Reaction Score
I noticed her name is listed as Anna Makurat, not Ania as we initially were given. Has she endorsed this “Americanization” of her name?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I wonder how she can/will balance this with UConn?

"The grouping in Gniewino will be a certain stage of preparation for the next qualifying matches for EuroBasket 2021. The next one is scheduled for November 12 in Belarus. "

Reaction Score
Anna will BLOOM , bigger and much better as a sophmore...WATCH Anna Bloom 2
This is great news. My biggest concern with Anna was how quickly she could get in game shape. Didn't know what options she had for working out with virus restrictions. I am looking forward to a stronger and quicker version based on conditioning similar to what we saw with Walker in last year.

Reaction Score
I believe Anna will be an integral component of the team this year. Not only her ability on the court but she appears to have a great deal of maturity for someone her age and, I think, will be a positive role model for the younger players coming in.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So 18 Polish players, and I assume it needs to get down to 12? I sure hope she makes the team. From what I saw from her the 2nd half of last season, I can't imagine 12 other players in Poland better than her.

I agree with folks who said she's going to be an important/integral part of the team this season. She's just really good, and hopefully will get better and better. LOVE this kid.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I noticed her name is listed as Anna Makurat, not Ania as we initially were given. Has she endorsed this “Americanization” of her name?

When she landed on our shores we were told that she was called Ania in Poland, an apparent diminutive of Anna. So it is not an Americanization.

"Q: Wait, I thought her name was Anna Makurat, not Ania. Can you clarify?
A
: Let’s get the basics out of the way first. Anna is indeed her name, but Ania is a nickname of sorts in Poland for Anna. And this Anna prefers Ania."

Reaction Score
I can't wait to see how her game unfolds this year. I just think she has dynamic court vision and so many tools in the box. I've seen that amount of skill at UConn look clunky the freshman year and become dynamic in the sophomore year. Now that she has her running stride fixed, sky is the limit. Lol. Only Geno and CD would be that meticulous and that's why they have been so successful and the players have had such great success at all levels of the game.

Reaction Score
Got to admit, Ania has a certain elegance and "feels" better rolling off the tongue.

Who cares how it rolls off the tongue. If her name is Anna, that's what you call her.

Reaction Score
Once Anna built a little confidence last year and became a starter, I think she had fun playing basketball. It was fun watching her have fun. If and when teams get back together, no one is going to be in top shape

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Once Anna built a little confidence last year and became a starter, I think she had fun playing basketball. It was fun watching her have fun. If and when teams get back together, no one is going to be in top shape
They may be in top shape but not UConn shape.;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When she landed on our shores we were told that she was called Ania in Poland, an apparent diminutive of Anna. So it is not an Americanization.

"Q: Wait, I thought her name was Anna Makurat, not Ania. Can you clarify?
A
: Let’s get the basics out of the way first. Anna is indeed her name, but Ania is a nickname of sorts in Poland for Anna. And this Anna prefers Ania."

Reaction Score
I wonder how she can/will balance this with UConn?

"The grouping in Gniewino will be a certain stage of preparation for the next qualifying matches for EuroBasket 2021. The next one is scheduled for November 12 in Belarus. "

This is probably just an opportunity to get her some time with the other players for future games as they will probably have a difficult time getting out of their group even with every player available (Great Britain in the third team). This is all assuming that the next stage of qualifying is played as scheduled. Obviously there is no way for a college team to completely force a player not to leave for national team play. Satou Sabally played for Germany last November and Elizabeth Balogun played for Nigeria during the season.

So 18 Polish players, and I assume it needs to get down to 12? I sure hope she makes the team. From what I saw from her the 2nd half of last season, I can't imagine 12 other players in Poland better than her.

I agree with folks who said she's going to be an important/integral part of the team this season. She's just really good, and hopefully will get better and better. LOVE this kid.

This is just a training camp and not for a tournament or anything so there is no cutdown. Even in qualifying, it is possible to have more than 12 players around with the lineup being allowed to be named right before each game.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
This is probably just an opportunity to get her some time with the other players for future games as they will probably have a difficult time getting out of their group even with every player available (Great Britain in the third team). This is all assuming that the next stage of qualifying is played as scheduled. Obviously there is no way for a college team to completely force a player not to leave for national team play. Satou Sabally played for Germany last November and Elizabeth Balogun played for Nigeria during the season.

This is just a training camp and not for a tournament or anything so there is no cutdown. Even in qualifying, it is possible to have more than 12 players around with the lineup being allowed to be named right before each game.

And I think Geno would be fully supportive if she wanted to participate in an event with the Polish senior national team, even if it meant her missing a few regular season games, like Sabally and Balogun. Same thing with Nika and Aaliyah and their respective countries. There is always value in playing high quality basketball.

Lest we forget he was willing to get Gabby Williams redshirt a year to train for the 2016 Olympics.

Reaction Score
You've heard her say she prefers Ania? I know that Briana Pulido did not prefer Polly even though they tried to call her that because they had too many Breannas, Brianas, Briannas.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Anna will BLOOM , bigger and much better as a sophmore...WATCH Anna Bloom 2

Absolutely!! ;) The adjustment to D1 college basketball has been made. The butterflies are gone. Ania comes out balling from tip to horn this year. Like the Joker said in one of the Batman movies........"wait until they get a load of me." :eek:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom