Make It Happen | The Boneyard

Make It Happen

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The tuff news today is that Azzi will be out 2 weeks then she will be re evaluated. Caroline and Yanna are still out. Ines is sick. Just when we thought things might get better with Azzi back on the floor we're right back to where we were and the team continues to deal with it and the team continues to win. The ole saying when the goin gets tuff the tuff get going. Well UConns resilience has been amazing. The keep on keepin on. So whats next??

The problems we are facing right now are TO's, we need more outside shooters, and our starters need a break during games. Well UConn is definitely going to need more outside shooters. We cant place the burden on Lou alone. What happens if Lou gets in foul trouble or has an off game? We need somebody else to take some of the pressure off Lou. Nika Aubrey Amari and Ines need to be developed. Nika and Aubrey are two that imo need pull up jumpers and to be a threat to hit some outside shots and they must be able to do it with confidence. If they dont then opponents will pack it in and put somebody on Lou to try and shut her down and leave Nika and Aubrey open. Ines needs more playtime and become a work in process. Meaning give her minutes and coach her while shes on the floor. Amari showed us against Seton Hall what she can do. She was given a chance and imo shined. Geno may have to stay on her case but after watching how she played against Seton Hall I think the coaches need to work on her to continue what she did against Seton Hall and work with her until she gets to another level with her game. We heard from the practice players last season that Amari has a great outside shot. We saw it against Seton Hall. Amari has length and can block shots as well as stand up top and facilitate/pass the ball. At this point we dont have anymore options. We are 7 deep. We need outside shooters and Amari can answer that call right now as Nika Aubrey and Ines are developed. Amari needs playtime and needs to gain experience while being coached in real games. Learn on the run if you will.

We all know that one more injury and UConn may be down to 6 players which presents problems and raises the question can UConn continue to play the games on their schedule?? We cant wish our way to the NC this season. Either we have to make changes with the players we have now right now or we will be in the same place we are today in March. My answer to that change is Nika and Aubrey need pull up jumpers and to be a threat from the outside as well as Amari needs more playtime and coaching to become the player she was against Seton Hall. We cant at this point wish and hope that our injured reserves will be back soon. We dont know when they will be back. We thought Azzi was back and a simple bump and shes out again.

What ever happens we have to continue to move forward as a team and work with what we've got. We cant continue with "what ifs" or I hope or I wish or wait for doctors to tell us where we are. We are what we are right now. I believe a healthy Azzi Caroline and Yanna will take UConn to the NC game this season, but they have to be healthy and there can not be any fear of them reinjuring themselves. From what we've seen and heard so far we dont know when that is.

We dont know what the future brings for this season. We have been through alot and as a team overcome alot. There are still alot of "If's" and questions with this team and dont know what the future holds for this team. I will repeat we need outside shooters and scorers. At this point we need to get ready for March. We only have what we know we have today and thats 7 healthy players. That to me means if we dont make changes with the team we have right now we are going to be in the same place we are today in March. Those changes have to come from the 7 players we have on the roster who can play right now. Those changes have to start with Nika, Aubrey Amari and Ines. Nika and Azzi need to become a threat from the outside and must develop pull up jumpers, Amari needs to be what she was against Seton Hall and Ines needs playtime and coached and developed playing in real games when the time permits it.

We cant count on anybody coming back right now because we dont know when they will be back. TOs have been a problem and with pull up jumpers from Nika and Aubrey I believe that will help. Fear or hesitation to take and outside shot has been a problem. Forcing fast breaks has been a problem. Pull up jumpers imo could solve that problem. Having enough scorers has been a problem. Having Amari in the game and having Aubrey and Nika shooting with confidence will solve that problem.

Amari playing up top and on the perimeter with Dorka and Aaliyah doing their thing could change UConns offense and defense. On Defense with Amari up top it makes if tuff for opponents to shoot over her. On offense Amari gives UConn a facilitator who can pass over opponents defenses as well as be a threat from the outside. Hey lets face it. With everybody who is out and with Azzi out for 2 more weeks before shes even evaluated we need to work with what we know we've got and make changes to be ready for March or else we could be the same team we are right now in March.

Reaction Score
As always Tonyc , great analysis and informative content. I enjoy your postings and look forward for them. THANK YOU very much and have a great year. GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
Are you really that knowledgeable.
UConn is playing phenomenal basketball. 5 players absolutely in sync like fingers on a hand.
Sure, there are shortcomings and weak areas. The question is, whether the team can overcome them and/or improve on them.
This team is the ultimate example of perseverance that we all can use for inspiration.
All due respect to all: I’m done following the travails of Azzi. I love her. I’m ready for her to emerge as the best player in WCBB but I’m done with all of our crystal ball stuff about when she’ll be back. Same with Caroline. I pray both of them have long careers but the sport unfortunately is littered with what ifs regarding injury prone players. Anyone ever see Sam Bowie play? What a talent!
How about Greg Oden? Even Bill Walton?
I choose not to read your dissertation.
I woke up at 8 AK time to see our favorite team and 2 hours later, I’m left inspired. Go Huskies

Reaction Score
UConn is playing phenomenal basketball. 5 players absolutely in sync like fingers on a hand.
Sure, there are shortcomings and weak areas. The question is, whether the team can overcome them and/or improve on them.
This team is the ultimate example of perseverance that we all can use for inspiration.
All due respect to all: I’m done following the travails of Azzi. I love her. I’m ready for her to emerge as the best player in WCBB but I’m done with all of our crystal ball stuff about when she’ll be back. Same with Caroline. I pray both of them have long careers but the sport unfortunately is littered with what ifs regarding injury prone players. Anyone ever see Sam Bowie play? What a talent!
I woke up at 8 AK time to see our favorite team and 2 hours later, I’m left inspired. Go Huskies
Very well said

Reaction Score
The tuff news today is that Azzi will be out 2 weeks then she will be re evaluated. Caroline and Yanna are still out. Ines is sick. Just when we thought things might get better with Azzi back on the floor we're right back to where we were and the team continues to deal with it and the team continues to win. The ole saying when the goin gets tuff the tuff get going. Well UConns resilience has been amazing. The keep on keepin on. So whats next??

The problems we are facing right now are TO's, we need more outside shooters, and our starters need a break during games. Well UConn is definitely going to need more outside shooters. We cant place the burden on Lou alone. What happens if Lou gets in foul trouble or has an off game? We need somebody else to take some of the pressure off Lou. Nika Aubrey Amari and Ines need to be developed. Nika and Aubrey are two that imo need pull up jumpers and to be a threat to hit some outside shots and they must be able to do it with confidence. If they dont then opponents will pack it in and put somebody on Lou to try and shut her down and leave Nika and Aubrey open. Ines needs more playtime and become a work in process. Meaning give her minutes and coach her while shes on the floor. Amari showed us against Seton Hall what she can do. She was given a chance and imo shined. Geno may have to stay on her case but after watching how she played against Seton Hall I think the coaches need to work on her to continue what she did against Seton Hall and work with her until she gets to another level with her game. We heard from the practice players last season that Amari has a great outside shot. We saw it against Seton Hall. Amari has length and can block shots as well as stand up top and facilitate/pass the ball. At this point we dont have anymore options. We are 7 deep. We need outside shooters and Amari can answer that call right now as Nika Aubrey and Ines are developed. Amari needs playtime and needs to gain experience while being coached in real games. Learn on the run if you will.

We all know that one more injury and UConn may be down to 6 players which presents problems and raises the question can UConn continue to play the games on their schedule?? We cant wish our way to the NC this season. Either we have to make changes with the players we have now right now or we will be in the same place we are today in March. My answer to that change is Nika and Aubrey need pull up jumpers and to be a threat from the outside as well as Amari needs more playtime and coaching to become the player she was against Seton Hall. We cant at this point wish and hope that our injured reserves will be back soon. We dont know when they will be back. We thought Azzi was back and a simple bump and shes out again.

What ever happens we have to continue to move forward as a team and work with what we've got. We cant continue with "what ifs" or I hope or I wish or wait for doctors to tell us where we are. We are what we are right now. I believe a healthy Azzi Caroline and Yanna will take UConn to the NC game this season, but they have to be healthy and there can not be any fear of them reinjuring themselves. From what we've seen and heard so far we dont know when that is.

We dont know what the future brings for this season. We have been through alot and as a team overcome alot. There are still alot of "If's" and questions with this team and dont know what the future holds for this team. I will repeat we need outside shooters and scorers. At this point we need to get ready for March. We only have what we know we have today and thats 7 healthy players. That to me means if we dont make changes with the team we have right now we are going to be in the same place we are today in March. Those changes have to come from the 7 players we have on the roster who can play right now. Those changes have to start with Nika, Aubrey Amari and Ines. Nika and Azzi need to become a threat from the outside and must develop pull up jumpers, Amari needs to be what she was against Seton Hall and Ines needs playtime and coached and developed playing in real games when the time permits it.

We cant count on anybody coming back right now because we dont know when they will be back. TOs have been a problem and with pull up jumpers from Nika and Aubrey I believe that will help. Fear or hesitation to take and outside shot has been a problem. Forcing fast breaks has been a problem. Pull up jumpers imo could solve that problem. Having enough scorers has been a problem. Having Amari in the game and having Aubrey and Nika shooting with confidence will solve that problem.

Amari playing up top and on the perimeter with Dorka and Aaliyah doing their thing could change UConns offense and defense. On Defense with Amari up top it makes if tuff for opponents to shoot over her. On offense Amari gives UConn a facilitator who can pass over opponents defenses as well as be a threat from the outside. Hey lets face it. With everybody who is out and with Azzi out for 2 more weeks before shes even evaluated we need to work with what we know we've got and make changes to be ready for March or else we could be the same team we are right now in March.
I thought Aubrey had some neat pull-up J's today, and a nice floater on a break when nobody else was open. That girl is so gifted, she can do ANYTHING on a BB court. Last year we missed her offensive rebounding, but this year she has excelled in every aspect of the game. My choice for comeback POY.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I gotta agree with you on a couple of things. UConn is playing phenomenal BB and they are in sync. This team has exceed my expectations. They are really really good. I think it was the GTown game bothered me when GTown packed it in down low and had a defender shadow Lou. UConn had problems until GTown got in foul trouble. My concern is the NCAA tournment and when we play top teams. If they pack it in and shadow Lou. We wont be able to dribble drive and Nika and Griff will have to hit their outside shots. Geno has said we need shooters/ scorers. Griff made some nice pull up jumpers today. That was great. We dont know when any of our injured reserve will be back so I think we need to prepare for the NCAAs without them and if they come back then we will be that much better. The continued development of Griff Nika Amari and Ines is what we need now. They will be the difference. JMO

Last edited:
Reaction Score
100% agree with you. While I love watching Azzi and Caroline play I'd be pleasantly surprised if they came back before the end of February. With that said, the starting 5 (plus the bench) are fun to watch and most importantly they play with heart and will to win. They aren't waiting on Azzi are another player to come "save them." Didn't Geno say this group of players have a "quiet confidence?" It's noticeable along with the chemistry. I think they've been underated by the rest of the NCAA, especially AE's play. It will be interesting to see how they do against TN and SC, but there's a chance they win both. That's sports. There's a 1000 variables and you never know until the game is played. We could be Standford with their two star players and a 10+ deep magical bench, and still lose. I'm new to this, but it appears that Geno is also focusing on getting the most out of the 8 available players (I'm including Ayanna) which is also fascinating to watch.

Reaction Score
I gotta agree with you on a couple of things. UConn is playing phenomenal BB and they are in sync. This team has exceed my expectations. They are really really good. I think it was the GTown game bothered me when GTown packed it in down low and had a defender shadow Lou. UConn had problems until GTown got in foul trouble. My concern is the NCAA tournment and when we play top teams. If they pack it in and shadow Lou. We wont be able to dribble drive and Nika and Griff will have to hit their outside shots. Geno has said we need shooters/ scorers. Griff made some nice pull up jumpers today. That was great. We dont know when any of our injured reserve will be back so I think we need to prepare for the NCAAs without them and if they come back then we will be that much better. The continued development of Griff Nika Amari and Ines is what we need now. They will be the difference. JMO
Nice comments!
I always look ahead to the Tourney. We even have some tests in the next couple of weeks.
I just don’t think you can get all wrapped up in that stuff with this team. Auto racing: the pedal’s already to the metal. Not much left on the drawing board. Defensive genius: pack it in against UConn. Wow. Who thought of that? Like Geno said in his epiphany, “it is what it is”.
It’s fun watching them develop on the fly.
Crazy IMO to over-analyze this team. “Geno knows”. Do the kids respond/listen? Looks like this group does.

Reaction Score
100% agree with you. While I love watching Azzi and Caroline play I'd be pleasantly surprised if they came back before the end of February. With that said, the starting 5 (plus the bench) are fun to watch and most importantly they play with heart and will to win. They aren't waiting on Azzi are another player to come "save them." Didn't Geno say this group of players have a "quiet confidence?" It's noticeable along with the chemistry. I think they've been underated by the rest of the NCAA, especially AE's play. It will be interesting to see how they do against TN and SC, but there's a chance they win both. That's sports. There's a 1000 variables and you never know until the game is played. We could be Standford with their two star players and a 10+ deep magical bench, and still lose. I'm new to this, but it appears that Geno is also focusing on getting the most out of the 8 available players (I'm including Ayanna) which is also fascinating to watch.
100%
He said in the presser that he’s calling more plays than usual, so that he can exploit situations on the floor. I think everyone has bought in. Fun to watch. Look forward to every game.

Reaction Score
I thought Aubrey had some neat pull-up J's today, and a nice floater on a break when nobody else was open. That girl is so gifted, she can do ANYTHING on a BB court. Last year we missed her offensive rebounding, but this year she has excelled in every aspect of the game. My choice for comeback POY.
They might be out there but, I have not read about any other player that has had the major operation Aubrey had and has come back after missing over a years playing time and done what she has done. You have made my day in that Aubrey should be the UMANIMOUS CHOICE as comeback player of the year. I am not connected to the BB world as most of the posters, so, is there anyone out there more deserving? GO HUSKIES!!!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tony

I didn't see the game today, was out trying to get my ski chops together on a lovely day in big Cottonwood...still a work in progress...

I note that they won by 40 points and 4 players were in double figures...
Not bad, eh

Actually, they are doing just about as well as is possible under the circumstances.
Worrying about the unknown isn't going to help...

They could even get walloped in Tennessee or South Carolina...won't take away
from the remarkable execution and heroic accomplishments of both the
staff and the small battalion of players remaining of perhaps the finest (or close) collection of ballers in the country....

So I don't fret that Lou might get guarded too aggressively or have an off night or foul trouble or that someone else might get hurt (god forbid).Or that another outside shooter might be nice...Reminds me of King John's Christmas in Winnie the Poo

This group is a profile in courage of which we all can be proud.

And they've figured it out...go out and give it there all and let the chips fall where they may.

Reaction Score
Tony is right about other teams packing it in, putting someone to face up Lou and making Nika and Aubrey shoot from outside. That's the clear gameplan against this Uconn team and against a good team, it's gonna work a lot of the time. It's not rocket science and has been clear for a long time. What do you think South Carolina is going to do and if we miss those outside shots they get the rebounds? With Azzi, Paige and Caroline good luck with that approach but without them it's a huge problem. We are dependent on the outside shots of Nika and Aubrey. Ergo, I don't see a long run to the final 4 happening. Unless at least Azzi and / or Caroline can come back.

When Nika misses she misses badly. Aubrey has a confidence issue. They will come through some games but we can't count on them 4-5 games in a row against top competition. It's the fatal flaw of this team. Maybe Azzi and Caroline can come back and we are fine. If not, we have a problem.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Tony is right about other teams packing it in, putting someone to face up Lou and making Nika and Aubrey shoot from outside. That's the clear gameplan against this Uconn team and against a good team, it's gonna work a lot of the time. It's not rocket science and has been clear for a long time. What do you think South Carolina is going to do and if we miss those outside shots they get the rebounds? With Azzi, Paige and Caroline good luck with that approach but without them it's a huge problem. We are dependent on the outside shots of Nika and Aubrey. Ergo, I don't see a long run to the final 4 happening. Unless at least Azzi and / or Caroline can come back.

When Nika misses she misses badly. Aubrey has a confidence issue. They will come through some games but we can't count on them 4-5 games in a row against top competition. It's the fatal flaw of this team. Maybe Azzi and Caroline can come back and we are fine. If not, we have a problem.
Teams have been playing the triangle and two defense since the Huskies became shorthanded. In the last 8 games, since UConn beat #21 ranked Creighton on the road by 25 with 7 players, the Huskies’ average winning margin is 29.5 points. Five of those 8 games have been on the road, too.

This year’s team does not freak out when it sees a zone. Lou is perfectly capable of creating a shot from inside the zone or passing the ball to a cutting forward if the defense closes on her. Aubrey(!) showed a terrific pull up j yesterday that made my heart sing. Boy, does she become deadly with that new aspect of her game. It shows her tremendous confidence which has been steadily growing during the season. If coaches want to leave her open, go ahead. Ask Carla how that worked for her.

In other words, this year’s team has seen every kind of defense the other guys can throw at them. Sure, they could still lose but I’m not seeing any “fatal flaw” that dooms he team off the bat.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Teams have been playing the triangle and two defense since the Huskies have been shorthanded. In the last 8 games, since UConn beat #21 ranked Creighton on the road by 25 with 7 players, the Huskies’ average winning margin is 29.5 points. Five of those 8 games have been on the road, too.
Thru 19 games this year, we've seen 6 different lineups, compared to 7 last year. From a sample size comparison, lineups 2 and 5 are comparable with average points scored. The Avg- (points against) has gone down, however in looking at the teams in each lineup tell a story:

2 - NCSU, Duke, Iowa, Prov, ND (1 conference game)
5 - FSU, Seton Hall, Butler, Xavier, St J, G'town, SH, Butler (7 conference games)

1674395421014.png

Starting tomorrow, as some have mentioned, we've got the gauntlet of DePaul, TN, Nova, Prov, and SC in 14 days. It will be interesting to see the affect on PPG+/- upon playing some of these teams.

Reaction Score

How do you Ines is sick? Was it announced? Did you just see her blow her nose? As long as she can play so we have our 7 players, we will survive. If Patterson can come back, that gives us a cushion. And if Al Alfy can count as an eligible player but not actually play and blow a year that helps too. But our players will get exhausted.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
How do you Ines is sick? Was it announced? Did you just see her blow her nose? As long as she can play so we have our 7 players, we will survive. If Patterson can come back, that gives us a cushion. And if Al Alfy can count as an eligible player but not actually play and blow a year that helps too. But our players will get exhausted.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Tony

I didn't see the game today, was out trying to get my ski chops together on a lovely day in big Cottonwood...still a work in progress...

Not bad, eh

Actually, they are doing just about as well as is possible under the circumstances.

staff and the small battalion of players remaining of perhaps the finest (or close) collection of ballers in the country....

So I don't fret that Lou might get guarded too aggressively or have an off night or foul trouble or that someone else might get hurt (god forbid).Or that another outside shooter might be nice...Reminds me of King John's Christmas in Winnie the Poo

And they've figured it out...go out and give it there all and let the chips fall where they may.
Let the chips fall where they may. Geno just said two days ago in a presser, this team is tired mentally and physically. If you believe that, how can anyone complain about their play?

It’s so bad even their mascot Johnathan is unable to make public appearances because of a medical proceedure he needed, and is recovering from.

When you have to wait just before the tip to find out which players are healthy enough to play, you know your team’s condition is dire. Focus on the next game. The way things are going, you have no idea who will be available next week.

I’m not making any predictions now because of the instability of our roster. We struggle to dress 7 players so that the game can be played. Why would I put the added burden and expectation on this team of expecting them to win a championship? Tennessee, South Carolina and Villanova are going to play us with rosters full of healthy players.

There’s no shame in losing, only in not competing and doing the best you can. I’m extremely confident our girls will play their hearts out. That’s all anyone can ask. I firmly stand behind this team!!!

What they are going through is unprecedented. I’m going to enjoy watching the games and take (accept) what comes knowing they did their best, and that better days are coming.

So......when the horn sounds to begin the game, play the hand you’re dealt, and let the chips fall where they may.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Yes there was a quote which I can’t find right now that said Ines was sick and may not be able to play. Thanks Nan for the quote above

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
In the courtside pregame presser, Geno said that Ines was tested for "everything" - covid, strep, etc, however nothing positive, so she was back at practice before the Butler game.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Tony

Not bad, eh

Mr Milne and I appreciate the reference. Nicely done.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the Boneyard, a place where you can interact with knowledgeable “residents”. Sometimes there will be disagreements, but nothing outrageous or mean-spirited, because the moderators are constantly watching, reading, listening, etc., and they quickly lock posts that are likely to deviate from respectful comments. I love that about this forum. Also, these Boneyarders will support you, should you need a little TLC.
Again, welcome, welcome, welcome!

Reaction Score
Tony

Not bad, eh

Nice post, but I especially love the highlighted phrase above.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom