Makai Ashton-Langford Highlight | The Boneyard

Makai Ashton-Langford Highlight

Reaction Score
Seems like Brewster doesn't really like to let film guys in. I don't remember seeing much on Jalen from his senior year either. Makai hasn't had much film at all, so it's good to see a little bit.

Thoughts:

Seems to have a more ambidextrous handle than Jalen does now, but still didn't finish with the left in this short video, at least.

Couple of mid-range shots, but nothing from deep. Similar to what we'd heard from reports coming in.

Made some nice passes underneath when driving.

In this video, didn't see the explosive athleticism that MAL or Alterique seem to have, but he's got size and a decent handle (a little high at times). Definitely some PG to work with.

Last edited:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
In this video, didn't see the explosive athleticism that MAL or Alterique seem to have...
His athleticism is about his his ability to shift gears – it's not raw speed that makes him special, but how he changes speed to always keep his defender off balance. It's a different, almost immeasurably quality.

He's going to be really, really good at getting into the teeth of a defense because of it.

Reaction Score
His athleticism is about his his ability to shift gears – it's not raw speed that makes him special, but how he changes speed to always keep his defender off balance. It's a different, almost immeasurably quality.

He's going to be really, really good at getting into the teeth of a defense because of it.

If he develops his shot to keep defenses honest. He'll need to adjust like Jalen did--check out jalen's second half of the season 2pt% stats, they're horrible if I remember correctly. Defenses sagged off him. He obviously adjusted over the offseason, because there were games (like against cincy), where he just says "f it" and scores whenever he feels like.

MAL, luckily, has two pretty darn good guards ahead of him to learn from, so he can pick his shots more than Jalen was able to.

Reaction Score
If he develops his shot to keep defenses honest. He'll need to adjust like Jalen did--check out jalen's second half of the season 2pt% stats, they're horrible if I remember correctly. Defenses sagged off him. He obviously adjusted over the offseason, because there were games (like against cincy), where he just says "f it" and scores whenever he feels like.

MAL, luckily, has two pretty darn good guards ahead of him to learn from, so he can pick his shots more than Jalen was able to.
3* darn good guards

Reaction Score

I think you are right about this skill being immeasurable. I have never been really high on MAL based on his tapes. Nothing looks special. But I can acknowledge that people who have actually watched him in person are extremely high on him. And the fact that his AAU team and HS team went undefeated means a ton (playing in the best HS league in the country, by far). Some things aren't really caught on tape.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
His body type and game kind of remind me of a George Hill.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hard to tell a lot from that short clip. He looks under control though while running the offense. His dribbled looks a bit high a times though. Looks like he can finish in traffic or dish to someone else for the easy dunk or layup. Either way looking forward to seeing what he can do in a Uconn jersey.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Seems like Brewster doesn't really like to let film guys in. I don't remember seeing much on Jalen from his senior year either. Makai hasn't had much film at all, so it's good to see a little bit.

Thoughts:

Seems to have a more ambidextrous handle than Jalen does now, but still didn't finish with the left in this short video, at least.

Couple of mid-range shots, but nothing from deep. Similar to what we'd heard from reports coming in.

In this video, didn't see the explosive athleticism that MAL or Alterique seem to have, but he's got size and a decent handle (a little high at times). Definitely some PG to work with.

I'm puzzled by a couple of your observations.

You said "nothing from deep." He swished two threes right near the end of the video.

You also said you didn't see the "explosive athleticism" of Jalen or 'Rique. To me, he looks every bit as quick, maybe even quicker, than Jalen. No dunks, but so what... He's a point guard. Quickness and speed are two different qualities... quickness is a measure of how fast you go from zero to top speed and back again. He's got elite quickness, even for high level point guards. In basketball, quickness, length, and agility make up the golden triad of most important athletic qualities. He's got all three.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Thoughts:

Yeah, as Mr. W said, he makes 2 3's at the end, and the first one is from at least a foot behind the line. Maybe the angle threw you off.

Reaction Score
Hard to tell from just a highlight video, but from the reports, he's much more of a slasher/penetrator than a shooter. Sounds similar to early-career Jalen or Kemba.

The problem is, if you have too many of those guys, the defense just plays a compact 2-3 zone and you can kiss your driving lanes goodbye. Hopefully Adams can continue to improve and Gilbert provides a credible threat from deep.

Vital and Jackson will be important to keep the D honest.

Reaction Score
He certainly has skills but it's gonna be stuff city inside for him, Gilbert too. Kemba experienced the same thing freshman year so MAL needs to be able to knock down perimeter shots, if he doesn't his PT could be limited.

Reaction Score
Yeah, as Mr. W said, he makes 2 3's at the end, and the first one is from at least a foot behind the line. Maybe the angle threw you off.

I stand corrected. Just didn't watch the last 10 seconds or so of the video.

Even if he's not a great shooter, at least he's not coming in as a complete non-shooter like Terrence Samuel was. I don't expect him to be like 'Bazz, but if he can at least keep the D somewhat honest, he should have an easier time adjusting. It would be great if he could shoot better than Jalen his freshman year--cause that was bad. Ha!

Edit:

Can someone explain where the notion that AG can't shoot is coming from? The reports I saw put him as a good shooter, just not "knockdown" like a Tremont Waters or Shabazz type. Maybe more like Boat. I had heard he shot over 50% in hs (though hs stat keepers can be quite generous!) Am I crazy that I haven't seen this? He only played a few games for us, that's not a great sample size.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I stand corrected. Just didn't watch the last 10 seconds or so of the video.

Even if he's not a great shooter, at least he's not coming in as a complete non-shooter like Terrence Samuel was. I don't expect him to be like 'Bazz, but if he can at least keep the D somewhat honest, he should have an easier time adjusting. It would be great if he could shoot better than Jalen his freshman year--cause that was bad. Ha!

Edit:

Can someone explain where the notion that AG can't shoot is coming from? The reports I saw put him as a good shooter, just not "knockdown" like a Tremont Waters or Shabazz type. Maybe more like Boat. I had heard he shot over 50% in hs (though hs stat keepers can be quite generous!) Am I crazy that I haven't seen this? He only played a few games for us, that's not a great sample size.
Maybe from old scouting reports?

By the way, most scouting reports written by recruiting sites are terrible. I used to be really into reading them, but it gradually dawned on me they're canned evaluations written by guys who know no more about basketball than your average Boneyarder.

Gilbert, MAL, and Adams have all been unfairly labeled poor shooters. They each may not be Rashad Anderson, but that doesn't mean they can't shoot. I've seen games where each of them look pretty decent from deep, so there's obviously some ability there.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Why does everyone keep saying that there are 2 great guards ahead of him, or we will have 3 top level guards next year. Has everyone forgotten what CV did the 2nd half of the season this year? He's long since left his HS rankings behind, and I'd wager that after their first season of D1 ball, CV is better now than many of the former 4 star guys from his class are.

Reaction Score
Love what I see, but his release point seems scary low at times.

??

Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 12.21.02 PM.png

Reaction Score
Why does everyone keep saying that there are 2 great guards ahead of him, or we will have 3 top level guards next year. Has everyone forgotten what CV did the 2nd half of the season this year? He's long since left his HS rankings behind, and I'd wager that after their first season of D1 ball, CV is better now than many of the former 4 star guys from his class are.

Personally, I was discounting AG not CV. I'm thinking he MAL will both need to come on slowly next year. They're both freshman in my eyes. CV has earned his chops, especially that 18/9/2 game against Cincinnati. In my eyes, he starts and finishes games unless someone proves otherwise

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
By the way, most scouting reports written by recruiting sites are terrible. I used to be really into reading them, but it gradually dawned on me they're canned evaluations written by guys who know no more about basketball than your average Boneyarder.
FWIW ESPN's are pretty great – they've all been dead accurate for our recruits in the last few classes.

Enoch's was particularly insightful:

WKSofCX.png

Reaction Score
He's sneaky quick/athletic which is nice; change of speeds, etc. The dribble is far too high at times and he has to stop leaving his feet to pass. He'll commit a million offensive fouls that way. He also has to stop wearing tights, specifically those quasi camo-ish ones. So hideous. Other than that, I'm loving that we are getting another guy who create some offense.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
FWIW ESPN's are pretty great – they've all been dead accurate for our recruits in the last few classes.

Enoch's was particularly insightful:

WKSofCX.png
That is pretty good.

Reaction Score
He has just as much muscle as everyone of our guards.
Vital and Alterique are more built. I don't see it as a major problem or anything, he just needs to bulk up like most kids we bring in. Cincy and SMU always look like grown men against us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom