Maine suggestions? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Maine suggestions?

Reaction Score
Heading up to Maine next week and haven't really explored the state since I was a kid. Going to be spending a couple nights in the Portland area. What are some things I need to see, restaurant suggestions, best seafood shacks, prettiest drives etc.?

Drive up to belfast and eat at youngs. Watch the boats sail in. Best lobster i have ever had. It is park tables but a great view of the bay. Yum

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Also in support of everyone who's encouraging you to make the extra drive up to MDI/Bar Harbor. Acadia is beautiful and centering.

Reaction Score
I was just in Ocean Park, Maine just south of Old Orchard. Fantastic beaches and beautiful inlets to explore. If you want some bomb coffee cake go to the deli in town. Phenomenal stuff

C

Chief00

Pat's Pizza in Oreno is very good. You don't think of Maine and good pizza together but Pat's breaks that rule.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
F it SJ, get on the boat in Portland and go to Nova Scotia instead. Or drive it. Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail will change your life.

Cabot Trail is indeed beautiful... if you don't get stuck behind a Winnebago going 5mph. The boat over from Portland has some of the most degenerate gamblers I've ever seen. There was one woman screaming she was just going to piss on the floor unless someone volunteered to hold her spot on the slot she'd been at all night. And Nova Scotia, outside of Halifax closes at 8pm. Gotta eat early. But those Digby scallops...

I miss Maine. Spent a lot of time there as a kid. Dad almost bought property on Sebago, which is still beautiful. Loved watching the seaplanes take off and land.

Not up to date on restaurants since haven't been there in 15 years, but Fore Street was excellent even back then. Do skip Old Orchard Beach. It's become the Quebecois' beach and they're not interested in assimilating there either.

Reaction Score
I spend a lot of time in Maine. The Moosehead Lake area is spectacular. When you come into Greenville and overlook the lake, islands and evergreen trees it is truly stunning. It's a bit of a ride, but we'll worth it if natural beauty is your thing.

Reaction Score
Pat's Pizza in Oreno is very good. You don't think of Maine and good pizza together but Pat's breaks that rule.

Wow, Chief, you really do have some good info at times. Pat's in Orono still is exactly like it was when I first frequented in '73. I summer mid-coast (Stockton Springs) and go there at least a couple of times a month.

Superjohn, if you go to the properly recommended Acadia, you can also stop at the Pat's in Ellsworth for pizza and a good beer selection (Geahgan's Smiling Irish Bastard is very good, as is Baxter Stowaway IPA). There are lots of restaurants in Bar Harbor but are mostly tourist oriented.

You mentioned wanting to visit the Wyeth Museum in Rockland. It so happens that the first Friday of each month (so, this Friday the 4th) in Rockland is an evening Artwalk about town with all the galleries open, along with free admission to the Farnsworth (Wyeth) Museum. I'm planning on going. It's my birthday and my wife wants to take me to Cafe Miranda, also recommended. The Flatbread Company between Rockland and Rockport is good.

Camden is a beautiful town to visit. There used to be the landmark Cappy's, but it is now a Sea Dog Brewpub. We like Long Grain, and there are others, like Camden Deli.

Other favorites are The Great Lost Bear in Portland, Sea Dog in Topsham for the atmosphere, Beth's Farm in Warren, Young's in Belfast for lobster.

Though the GPS will try to take you via I-95, the Coastal Route (Route 1) through Brunswick, Bath, Rockland, etc. is the way to travel to that area.

C

Chief00

Wow, Chief, you really do have some good info at times. Pat's in Orono still is exactly like it was when I first frequented in '73. I summer mid-coast (Stockton Springs) and go there at least a couple of times a month.

Superjohn, if you go to the properly recommended Acadia, you can also stop at the Pat's in Ellsworth for pizza and a good beer selection (Geahgan's Smiling Irish Bastard is very good, as is Baxter Stowaway IPA). There are lots of restaurants in Bar Harbor but are mostly tourist oriented.

You mentioned wanting to visit the Wyeth Museum in Rockland. It so happens that the first Friday of each month (so, this Friday the 4th) in Rockland is an evening Artwalk about town with all the galleries open, along with free admission to the Farnsworth (Wyeth) Museum. I'm planning on going. It's my birthday and my wife wants to take me to Cafe Miranda, also recommended. The Flatbread Company between Rockland and Rockport is good.

Camden is a beautiful town to visit. There used to be the landmark Cappy's, but it is now a Sea Dog Brewpub. We like Long Grain, and there are others, like Camden Deli.

Other favorites are The Great Lost Bear in Portland, Sea Dog in Topsham for the atmosphere, Beth's Farm in Warren, Young's in Belfast for lobster.

Though the GPS will try to take you via I-95, the Coastal Route (Route 1) through Brunswick, Bath, Rockland, etc. is the way to travel to that area.

Good summary.

Reaction Score
Didn't realize Bar Harbor/Acadia is basically just another hour away from Rockport. Hmmm.
Much more than an hour. Plan on two hours. Rockport is a minimum of 45 mins. for me in one direction and Bar Harbor is 1 1/4 hour the other way, and I'm right off Route 1. But the drive is worth it.

Reaction Score
Ogunquit is a good beach with some stuff to do for people that get bored of sitting at the beach all day. There is a tidal river that turns into a lazy river when the tides change from high to low so grab a cheap tube or float. There is a cliff walk If you go on the weekend you need to get there early to get parking.

The best beach IMO is Scarborough. That's where the locals go. There is nothing to do besides the beach, so it will depend on if you are beach people or not. The Lobster Shack at Two Lights in Cape Elizabeth is where we usually go eat after going to the beach. The food is good but the location is better.

I can't stand Old Orchard beach.

If you are up for it take the 3 hour drive to Bar Harbor. Acadia is one of my favorite places in the world. Plus Mount Dessert Ice Cream is the shizz.
we often hit Footbridge beach in Ogunquit. little more remote than ogunquit but just up the road a mile or so. doesn't have the shops nearby, but there is a small store to get drinks and sandwiches and ice cream.

Acadia is a trip in its own right. some of the most beautiful scenery in the country. can't do that in a day or two. really need to take it in over many days.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
we often hit Footbridge beach in Ogunquit. little more remote than ogunquit but just up the road a mile or so. doesn't have the shops nearby, but there is a small store to get drinks and sandwiches and ice cream.

Acadia is a trip in its own right. some of the most beautiful scenery in the country. can't do that in a day or two. really need to take it in over many days.

I will have to look for this Footbridge beach next time.

True, but one or two days is better than no days.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I hope to God it involved lots of good lobster. Mrs. 8893 did her usual "Do you have any thoughts for dinner?" inquiry this afternoon and on a whim I said "lobster and corn."

She called Stop & Shop and asked what lobster they had and the woman said they only had 1 1/4 to 1 1/3 lbs but they had just come in less than an hour ago. She got a half dozen for four of us and I steamed/boiled them.

We just gorged on them and have unanimously agreed that they are as good as the best lobster we've ever had in our lives.

Reaction Score
I spend a lot of time in Maine. The Moosehead Lake area is spectacular. When you come into Greenville and overlook the lake, islands and evergreen trees it is truly stunning. It's a bit of a ride, but we'll worth it if natural beauty is your thing.
Agree 100%, bring your fly rod or spinning rod. Maine is famous for native Brook Trout ponds and streams. Stay away though during Black fly season (spring to about the first week or two of July).

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Currently on Sebago with my fiancé's family for the third consecutive summer. Made my first day trip to just tool around Portland yesterday. A lot more touristy than I thought but a really neat little city. Had lunch at $3 Deweys, where sailors coming off the boat could have a $1 looky, $2 feely, or $3 Dewey.

Reaction Score
So where did you go and what did you end up doing. We need details.
Didn't make it up to Bar Harbor and Acadia. Stayed in Bootbay Harbor, went to Rockland, Camden/Mount Battie, stayed in Portland, Cape Elizabeth, Kennebunkport, Ogunquit, Portmsmouth NH.

Reaction Score
I hope to God it involved lots of good lobster. Mrs. 8893 did her usual "Do you have any thoughts for dinner?" inquiry this afternoon and on a whim I said "lobster and corn."

She called Stop & Shop and asked what lobster they had and the woman said they only had 1 1/4 to 1 1/3 lbs but they had just come in less than an hour ago. She got a half dozen for four of us and I steamed/boiled them.

We just gorged on them and have unanimously agreed that they are as good as the best lobster we've ever had in our lives.
Actually didn't eat any whole lobster out of the shell but ate lobster rolls, lobster salad, lobster pot pie, lobster corn chowder, and lobster lasagna. There is basically a place to get lobster every two feet up there.

Reaction Score
Forgot to circle back on this. We hit the summit of Cadillac Mt for the sunrise. Due to its longitude and height, it sees the first sunlight of the new day in NA. I told my wife: let's get up and see it. It's a little known factoid. When we hit the summit (there is a road to top), there must have been 1000 people - where the hell did they come from??. My wife said: some little known factoid.

BarHarbor had a few nice hotels and inns, but was a small tourist town overrun with people / buses for most part. SE and SE Harbors, and Stonington on Deer Isle ~10 miles east (as crow flies) on the next 'neck' are substantially less crowded.

Also hit summit of Ktaadn up north in Baxter State Park, 5268', and end of Appalachian Trail. A real pain as access to Baxter is limited due to its 'forever wild' status, and its 4100' vertical climb over 5-6 miles (one way). Not for the uninitiated. However, it was the capstone of my NW4000 Footer Club list - I've now climbed to the top of all 68 4000 foot peaks in NE!!

Katahdin : Climbing, Hiking & Mountaineering : SummitPost

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We hit the summit of Cadillac Mt for the sunrise. Due to its longitude and height, it sees the first sunlight of the new day in NA.
Hmm, always thought that Katahdin had the first sunrise, but it looks like you are right. (Except around the equinoxes, apparently, when it is at West Quoddy Head.)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Forgot to circle back on this. We hit the summit of Cadillac Mt for the sunrise. Due to its longitude and height, it sees the first sunlight of the new day in NA. I told my wife: let's get up and see it. It's a little known factoid. When we hit the summit (there is a road to top), there must have been 1000 people - where the hell did they come from??. My wife said: some little known factoid.

My neighbor, my brother and I biked from NY through New England to Bar Harbor a few years back.

We got in at about 10 pm at night and these guys are tired from riding through a summer nor'easter for four days. I read about the sunrise thing on Cadillac Mountain and insist that we get up at 4 am and bike up the mountain. (We didn't have a car, obviously.) We get on the bikes at 4 and we start riding up.

They're pissed about getting up at 4, they're pissed that they're exhausted and I have them riding up a mountain road for miles, but at least, I tell them, we're going to have the mountain top to ourselves for this once in a lifetime deal.

And then we got passed by about 500 buses packed with people.

Long morning, Long, long morning.

Reaction Score
My neighbor, my brother and I biked from NY through New England to Bar Harbor a few years back.

We got in at about 10 pm at night and these guys are tired from riding through a summer nor'easter for four days. I read about the sunrise thing on Cadillac Mountain and insist that we get up at 4 am and bike up the mountain. (We didn't have a car, obviously.) We get on the bikes at 4 and we start riding up.

They're pissed about getting up at 4, they're pissed that they're exhausted and I have them riding up a mountain road for miles, but at least, I tell them, we're going to have the mountain top to ourselves for this once in a lifetime deal.

And then we got passed by about 500 buses packed with people.

Long morning, Long, long morning.

That whole event sounds like the worst thing I could ever imagine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom