Maine suggestions? | The Boneyard

Maine suggestions?

Reaction Score
Heading up to Maine next week and haven't really explored the state since I was a kid. Going to be spending a couple nights in the Portland area. What are some things I need to see, restaurant suggestions, best seafood shacks, prettiest drives etc.?

Reaction Score
Beaches:
Wells, Ogunquit, or Old Orchard, kennebunk

Beer:
Bissell Brothers in Portland
HOME

Allagash in Portland

or Maine Beer Company in Freeport.
Welcome

Stores: tons of outlets and the flagship LL Bean Store in Freeport
Kennebunk/kennebunkport

Drives: route 1 along coast or NW of Portland near NH (Sebago Lake). Depending how far you want to drive you got boothbay harbor or western mountains up north

Old Port of downtown Portland has cobblestone roads with tons of bars and restaurants.

AA Red Sox @ Hadlock Field

Saco river canoeing

Hike area near Sunday River etc

Reaction Score
Heading up to Maine next week and haven't really explored the state since I was a kid. Going to be spending a couple nights in the Portland area. What are some things I need to see, restaurant suggestions, best seafood shacks, prettiest drives etc.?

If you're up to it, take the ferry to Peaks Island and rent a bike.

Reaction Score
Great Lost Bear is a great place to get food and lots of great beer selections. When Pigs Fly is right across the NH border, and a cool place to grab lunch on the road. Good pizza and beer. Tributary is right down the street from it, and makes good beer.

Lots of great places in Portland depending on what you like. I'd throw out a recommendation for Rising Tide Brewery as making good beer, and has a good atmosphere.

If you like cocktails Portland Hunt and Alpine Club made a fantastic Manhattan (my friend said it was the best he's had and he drinks a lot of them) and I loved my mezcal drink.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
3 Dollar Dewey's in the Old Port area of downtown Portland is worth a stop for a pop and to check out the place. It's an old brothel, where the menu was $1 for a lookie, $2 for a feelie and a "$3 dewey."

Reaction Score
Parsons Beach in Kennebunk is a favorite. Limited parking, so arrive early or late. Fore Street, Miyake, Eventide Oyster are all fav Portland restaurants.

Reaction Score
If you are walking around downtown Portland there is a side street on the water side with an old time fish market with the most lobsters I've ever seen, in tanks stacked in trays by size. I love lobster and the restaurants all do it very well.

Reaction Score
Parsons Beach in Kennebunk is a favorite. Limited parking, so arrive early or late. Fore Street, Miyake, Eventide Oyster are all fav Portland restaurants.

I second Fore Street. That's my favorite restaurant in the world. Used to be ranked in the country's top ten consistently. Will not disappoint.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Ogunquit is a good beach with some stuff to do for people that get bored of sitting at the beach all day. There is a tidal river that turns into a lazy river when the tides change from high to low so grab a cheap tube or float. There is a cliff walk If you go on the weekend you need to get there early to get parking.

The best beach IMO is Scarborough. That's where the locals go. There is nothing to do besides the beach, so it will depend on if you are beach people or not. The Lobster Shack at Two Lights in Cape Elizabeth is where we usually go eat after going to the beach. The food is good but the location is better.

I can't stand Old Orchard beach.

If you are up for it take the 3 hour drive to Bar Harbor. Acadia is one of my favorite places in the world. Plus Mount Dessert Ice Cream is the shizz.

Reaction Score
Ogunquit is a good beach with some stuff to do for people that get bored of sitting at the beach all day. There is a tidal river that turns into a lazy river when the tides change from high to low so grab a cheap tube or float. There is a cliff walk If you go on the weekend you need to get there early to get parking.

The best beach IMO is Scarborough. That's where the locals go. There is nothing to do besides the beach, so it will depend on if you are beach people or not. The Lobster Shack at Two Lights in Cape Elizabeth is where we usually go eat after going to the beach. The food is good but the location is better.

I can't stand Old Orchard beach.

If you are up for it take the 3 hour drive to Bar Harbor. Acadia is one of my favorite places in the world. Plus Mount Dessert Ice Cream is the shizz.

The Lobster Shack is BYOB. Pack a cooler, the line is long.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the suggestions. I should have stated none of us are really beach people so we won't be laying out and swimming and it will be just adults. Mainly what are the sights to see, most beautiful drive (preferably along the coast) best places to eat, drink, coolest towns, etc. Also driving up to Rockland to check out the Wyeth museum, any other suggestions near that area?

Reaction Score
Thanks for the suggestions. I should have stated none of us are really beach people so we won't be laying out and swimming and it will be just adults. Mainly what are the sights to see, most beautiful drive (preferably along the coast) best places to eat, drink, coolest towns, etc. Also driving up to Rockland to check out the Wyeth museum, any other suggestions near that area?

Camden Snow Bowl | Ski the Sea

Just north of rockland, is the Camden Snow Bowl. 1300 ft summit so not that high of elevation that has views of the ocean. 4 season mtn. resort place. Went to school Western Maine near the loaf/river, but never skied @ camden

I bet it's nice.

Drives, I mean all along route 1. Like CT, lots of stop lights and nice little towns along the way. You won't have amazing views the whole way unless you get off and get even closer to ocean.

Boothbay Harbor is between Portland and Rockland. Buddy got married there.
Bath, Brunswick, darmiscotta, Belfast, etc.
Never really hung out in any of those towns though.

If you're going to rockland, you're 1/2 way there, you might as well go to bar harbor and Acadia NP. Plenty to do there.

Last edited:

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Be sure to visit the pet cemetery while you're there.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I agree, for what you're looking for, Bar Harbor and Acadia would be perfect. Acadia has tremendous views and awesome bike trails. Bar Harbor has great places to eat and drink.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I agree, for what you're looking for, Bar Harbor and Acadia would be perfect. Acadia has tremendous views and awesome bike trails. Bar Harbor has great places to eat and drink.

We did a BYOB boat tour of bar harbor & Acadia last summer. It was a great time

Reaction Score
The best and most scenic lobster shack in IMHO is "Five Islands...Home of the Big Boys" at the end of the neck at Bath. Picnic tables on the pier with 5 actual island all in view with the lobster traps all in front of you...awesome!!!! BYOB and a table cloth can make it really nice. Ice Cream and the such. The best I've found but I don't claim to have seen them all. A native Mainer told me once "you can tell if someone is a true Mainer...we eat lobster rolls...whole lobster is too much work!!!

Reaction Score
You should try to see the Penobscot Bay Area... Blue Hills, Camden, and Castine are all unbelievably beautiful. Once you've gone a little further to Acadia, you can't miss. Thunder Cove, the Bee Hive, Cadillac Mountain, and Lost Lake - it's another world.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom