OT: - Magical Comeback win for Mets over Nationals | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Magical Comeback win for Mets over Nationals

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Damn rain... doesn’t Mother Nature know we wanna watch the Mets win

if the game is called, the Mets get the win anyway.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Alert. Syndegarrd perfect through 5 innings. Lead Cleveland 2-0. :D:D

In the 6th inning, Syndegarrd had trouble and without a very nize defensive play by Alonzo, would have been scored on.

Still, the idea of a game being shortened by weather but still official begs the question.

If a pitcher has a perfect game (or even no hitter) in a weather shortened game, does it count in the official accounting? I guess maybe with an asterisk?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It's getting so I can't watch the sports report or even watch the ticker on SportsCenter. It's tough enough to watch the game and see them win. Then I watch the sport results and start to tear up. I actually don't know if I can could stand it if they won the pennant, nonetheless a WS.

I mean, I was a Met fan in their first season when they won 40 games. I remember when Casey saw one of his charges run the wrong way on the bases and called his team "Amazin' "; when, after a player missed touching third after hitting a home run and was call out, Casey said, "Well hell, he missed touching second too". I remember when Met fans would cheer and stomp their feet when a player ran hard to first base, no matter the outcome. We still appreciate that type of player. From the start the Mets were a splinter off the bat of the Brooklyn Dodgers. We were and are nothing like the Yankees.

I was at the only All Star game played at Shea stadium in 1963 and saw Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle. I remember Johnny Callison hitting a 3 run homer to win the game. I remember 1968 when the Mets almost lost 90 and could have lost 100 for the 6th year in a row. I remember the next year when they won 103 games and the WS. I remember when they won the division that year and 45,000 fans refused to leave and stayed in the stands for 40 minutes after the game chanting "Let's Go Mets!". I was there when the Mets beat Hank Aaron and the Braves to win the National League pennant. I remember the first time the crowd saw Nolan Ryan throw the ball. I remember the crowds "Oooo's and Ahhh's" and our looks of incredulity. I remember seeing Gary Gentry throw harder than Tom Seaver.

I remember when we traded Nolan Ryan for a guy that couldn't hit .260. I remember when Gary Gentry blew out his arm. I remember when the Mets won 80 something games in 1973 and still gave the great Vida Blue, Reggie Jackson Athletics a fight. I remember Tug McGraw saying "Ya Gotta believe" for the first time.

I remember Bill Buckner, who shouldn't have been playing first base.

I'm not going to go on. This team has a place in my heart that no other sports team can fill That's because their history is not like any other sports team. No other team in any sport has had to compete with a juggernaut in their territory like the NY Yankees and still have their kind of success, still be able to capture peoples imaginations. Yeah, I know some people hate the Mets simply because their name begins with NY on their chest. I get it. But this team has always been different. They've always played with a grit, a savvy, and a type of inclusivity that the Yankees have never shown. The Mets have and never will buy their way into a championship. We Met fans have a different expectancy level for our team, and we don't give up until the last out in the last inning. We love our team and our players like family members. When the Yankees win a WS the city rejoices. When the Mets win this city is delirious, and Met fans stay giddy for years after.

Let's Go Mets!!

Reaction Score
It's getting so I can't watch the sports report or even watch the ticker on SportsCenter. It's tough enough to watch the game and see them win. Then I watch the sport results and start to tear up. I actually don't know if I can could stand it if they won the pennant, nonetheless a WS.

I mean, I was a Met fan in their first season when they won 40 games. I remember when Casey saw one of his charges run the wrong way on the bases and called his team "Amazin' "; when, after a player missed touching third after hitting a home run and was call out, Casey said, "Well hell, he missed touching second too". I remember when Met fans would cheer and stomp their feet when a player ran hard to first base, no matter the outcome. We still appreciate that type of player. From the start the Mets were a splinter off the bat of the Brooklyn Dodgers. We were and are nothing like the Yankees.

I was at the only All Star game played at Shea stadium in 1963 and saw Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle. I remember Johnny Callison hitting a 3 run homer to win the game. I remember 1968 when the Mets almost lost 90 and could have lost 100 for the 6th year in a row. I remember the next year when they won 103 games and the WS. I remember when they won the division that year and 45,000 fans refused to leave and stayed in the stands for 40 minutes after the game chanting "Let's Go Mets!". I was there when the Mets beat Hank Aaron and the Braves to win the National League pennant. I remember the first time the crowd saw Nolan Ryan throw the ball. I remember the crowds "Oooo's and Ahhh's" and our looks of incredulity. I remember seeing Gary Gentry throw harder than Tom Seaver.

I remember when we traded Nolan Ryan for a guy that couldn't hit .260. I remember when Gary Gentry blew out his arm. I remember when the Mets won 80 something games in 1973 and still gave the great Vida Blue, Reggie Jackson Athletics a fight. I remember Tug McGraw saying "Ya Gotta believe" for the first time.

I remember Bill Buckner, who shouldn't have been playing first base.

I'm not going to go on. This team has a place in my heart that no other sports team can fill That's because their history is not like any other sports team. No other team in any sport has had to compete with a juggernaut in their territory like the NY Yankees and still have their kind of success, still be able to capture peoples imaginations. Yeah, I know some people hate the Mets simply because their name begins with NY on their chest. I get it. But this team has always been different. They've always played with a grit, a savvy, and a type of inclusivity that the Yankees have never shown. The Mets have and never will buy their way into a championship. We Met fans have a different expectancy level for our team, and we don't give up until the last out in the last inning. We love our team and our players like family members. When the Yankees win a WS the city rejoices. When the Mets win this city is delirious, and Met fans stay giddy for years after.

Let's Go Mets!!
A poetic and whimsical post indeed. Too bad it's completely detached from reality.
"They've always played with a grit, a savvy, and a type of inclusivity that the Yankees have never shown". While I'm not sure what playing with "inclusivity" looks like, your post is pure fantasy. The 1992 Mets (aka "The worst team that money could buy") played with grit and savvy ? That notion is so absurd it forces me to dismiss your entire post.
The only part that I found remotely accurate is that the Met fan has a different expectation of their team than the Yankee fan has.
And I thank heaven for that, every season.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A poetic and whimsical post indeed. Too bad it's completely detached from reality.
"They've always played with a grit, a savvy, and a type of inclusivity that the Yankees have never shown". While I'm not sure what playing with "inclusivity" looks like, your post is pure fantasy. The 1992 Mets (aka "The worst team that money could buy") played with grit and savvy ? That notion is so absurd it forces me to dismisses your entire post.
The only part that I found remotely accurate is that the Met fan has a different expectation of their team than the Yankee fan has.
And I thank heaven for that, every season.

I guess it helps to write this only after the Mets were swept by the braves at home. :mad:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Mets led 10-4 going to the bottom of the 9th tonight. The Nats won, 11-10. Karma.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The Mets led 10-4 going to the bottom of the 9th tonight. The Nats won, 11-10. Karma.

I don't see anyone named Karma in the bullpen. :confused:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just in case we think their may be some relief down on the farm, :oops:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members