OT: - Magical Comeback win for Mets over Nationals | The Boneyard

OT: Magical Comeback win for Mets over Nationals

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Mets were down 6-3 in top of 9th and I admit I lost faith and did not watch bottom of 9th when the Mets had a comeback for the ages. :oops::oops::oops::oops:

First a slumping Frazier with a tomahawk game tying 3 run homer that barely stays fair and a Comforto game winning mashed single over the head of the right fielder. Comforto mobbed by teammates and has shirt ripped from his body.

The Nationals bullpen is worse than the Mets and that is tough.

I believe. :D:D:D:D

Nationals vs. Mets - Game Recap - August 9, 2019 - ESPN

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
1.5 games behind the Nats.

With deGrom and Syndergaard up next, we can overtake if we sweep.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The Metropolitans are going to catch and overtake the Nationals (1.5 games ahead) because
1. The Mets are red hot right now at 9-1, while the Nats are treading water at 5/5 over the last 10 games.
2. The Nats are going to make a fatal mistake. They're going to "look back" over their shoulder to see if anyone is gaining on them. Remember what Satchel Paige use to say.................."Don't look back, something might be gaining on you." :eek:

When they do, the Mets will catch and overtake them, then set their sights on Atlanta. There's more pressure to stay ahead and maintain a lead in a pennant race than to try and catch and overtake a team in front of you.

Just think back to all the "epic" collapses in sports (baseball) by teams that "choked" coming down the stretch and couldn't finish. :confused: It's destiny Jordy. :)

20 Biggest MLB Pennant-Race Choke Jobs of All Time

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm beside myself. In this city (and it has been this way since 1962) if the Yankee's win a championship or even an ALCS, fans and the city get excited. When the Mets win a division or even make the playoffs the city gets crazy. If the Mets just make the WS it's indescribable. This city and Yankee fans have a much higher expectancy level. After all, if the Yanks need a first baseman they just go out and buy it, usually the best. If the Yanks don't win the WS the fans go into depression. If the Mets make the WS (winning is just a bonus) the city and the fans go into a kind of hysteria that is far more special. Just look at the reaction this city is having and the Mets are merely Wild Card contenders! I'll never forget the first time the Mets won their division during that magical 1969. Nearly the entire crowd in the stadium stayed after the game, 45,000 people, for 25 minutes chanting "Let's Go Mets'. I still tear up. That's a Mets fan.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm beside myself. In this city (and it has been this way since 1962) if the Yankee's win a championship or even an ALCS, fans and the city get excited. When the Mets win a division or even make the playoffs the city gets crazy. If the Mets just make the WS it's indescribable. This city and Yankee fans have a much higher expectancy level. After all, if the Yanks need a first baseman they just go out and buy it, usually the best. If the Yanks don't win the WS the fans go into depression. If the Mets make the WS (winning is just a bonus) the city and the fans go into a kind of hysteria that is far more special. Just look at the reaction this city is having and the Mets are merely Wild Card contenders! I'll never forget the first time the Mets won their division during that magical 1969. Nearly the entire crowd in the stadium stayed after the game, 45,000 people, for 25 minutes chanting "Let's Go Mets'. I still tear up. That's a Mets fan.

It’s getting crazy out here (L.A.) too. The Dodgers are 36 games above .500 and leading their division by 17 games, the biggest lead in MLB. You can imagine the level of excitement,expectation, and anticipation among Dodger fans. They expect to win it all this year. Anything less would be uncivilized and unacceptable. It’s been 31 years (1988) since they won a World Series. :)

I understand that it is perceived by some that the Yankees feel “entitled”, and that THEY own the city much like the Dodgers and Lakers do here. The Angels and Clippers have been irrelevant for so long, that sometimes we forget they’re here.

However some folks around here think that may change soon. Homeboys Kawhi Leonard and Paul George (both from the L.A. metropolitan area) & the rest of the Clippers (Steve Ballmer) are now poised to take over the city.

LeBron and the Lakers (who have owned LA since their arrival from Minneapolis in 1960), may not be able to do anything about it. The hottest ticket in town will be the 5-6 times they play each other at the Staples Center.

In 2024, the Clippers are scheduled to move into their new state of the art 18,500 seat, privately financed arena which will be located directly across the street from the the Ram's new complex in Inglewood, that's scheduled to open next year. Superbowl LVI will be played there in Feb 2022.

Staples Center is the only arena in the NBA that is the home court for two teams. LA is a city with lots of 2’s.
2 Basketball teams - 2 Baseball teams - 2 Football teams and 2 Hockey teams (Kings/Ducks)

We love our basketball here. The Sparks do very well at home. Over 10,000 fans were in attendance Thursday night vs Phoenix. Should be that many or more tomorrow vs Chicago. I’ll be there. The Sky knocked off the Aces yesterday in Las Vegas 87-84. Try as they might, they won’t beat the Sparks, winners of 10 of their last 12, and 4 in-a-row. ;)

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
M-E-T-S, Mets, Mets, Mets!

Let’s see if the Mets can recapture the magic (and luck) from 1969. I’m not a baseball fan, so I would not mind seeing them win it all. :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Let’s see if the Mets can recapture the magic (and luck) from 1969. I’m not a baseball fan, so I would not mind seeing them win it all. :)

We will need to come back again. Nats just took a 3-2 lead in the top of the 8th.

Lets go M-E-T-S

Reaction Score
We will need to come back again. Nats just took a 3-2 lead in the top of the 8th.
Lets go M-E-T-S
Mets come back again to win 4-3 ! I still have my small piece of Shea Stadium turf from game 5 of the 1969 World Series. My wife finds it strange that I have this 50 year old piece of dirt preserved in a plastic box.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Mets come back again to win 4-3 ! I still have my small piece of Shea Stadium turf from game 5 of the 1969 World Series. My wife finds it strange that I have this 50 year old piece of dirt preserved in a plastic box.

They don’t understand. You had to be there. :cool:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Another miracle / bizarre come from behind win.

Sub .200 hitter Guillorme hits a game tying {first of his career) HR off a relief pitcher who probably should not have come in replacing a starter who was mowing the Mets down.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Another miracle / bizarre come from behind win.

Sub .200 hitter Guillorme hits a game tying *first of his career) HR off a relief pitcher who probably should not have come in off a starter who was mowing the Mets down.
We could go on and on about how managers over think stuff. But the coaches clock the pitchers numbers real close and they know their pitchers all too well. Once they hit that magic number they yank them to save both their arms and the game. Managers frequently get called on the carpet by higher ups for leaving a pitcher in too long. That said I'm glad the move was (once again) made tonight.

Reaction Score
Man.... this team has made baseball fun again.
And the fans. Gary said that after Conforto sent that ball into right field the other night for the walk-off, that he didn't say anything because hear couldn't hear if Ron or Keith was talking and he was afraid of stepping on them. The last couple of nights the fans have been like a post-season crowd. I'm lovin' it! :D

And did you hear that after the Friday night walk-off game that Strasburg, the Nats starter, called out the Nats fans for not being more like the Mets fans in the ball park? Wow!

Reaction Score
And the fans. Gary said that after Conforto sent that ball into right field the other night for the walk-off, that he didn't say anything because hear couldn't hear if Ron or Keith was talking and he was afraid of stepping on them. The last couple of nights the fans have been like a post-season crowd. I'm lovin' it! :D

And did you hear that after the Friday night walk-off game that Strasburg, the Nats starter, called out the Nats fans for not being more like the Mets fans in the ball park? Wow!

LOVE IT!!

After Soto hit the home run Friday night, there was a tweet talking crap. Maybe that person should’ve waited until the end of the game!!

Reaction Score
Guess who's at the Mets game today? Steve is currently interviewing him about UConn's upcoming season. That's right...Geno is taking in the action at CitiField. Let's go Mets! Let's go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Guess who's at the Mets game today? Steve is currently interviewing him about UConn's upcoming season. That's right...Geno is taking in the action at CitiField. Let's go Mets! Let's go Huskies!

And he’s a phillys fan. I forgive him

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Our magical come from behind wins stops here. Mets lose 7-4.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom