Mac update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mac update

Reaction Score
We can't underestimate how much being local in these times may play a part. Parents may not be able to just jump on a play to see him play this year nor may he be able to just shoot home during Christmas break to see his friends. It's a different world right now with different considerations in every recruitment.

Reaction Score
He may be a better center option than Sanogo is for UConn.

DH wants his center to be able to hedge out on 3 pt shooters, then recover quickly back to defend under the basket. Mac looks more fluid and mobile than Sanogo and fits this defensive scheme better.

He has more quickness and a more versatile offensive game while Sanogo is more of a force underneath and on the boards.

Would be absolutely ecstatic getting either.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

DH wants his center to be able to hedge out on 3 pt shooters, then recover quickly back to defend under the basket. Mac looks more fluid and mobile than Sanogo and fits this defensive scheme better.

He has more quickness and a more versatile offensive game while Sanogo is more of a force underneath and on the boards.

Would be absolutely ecstatic getting either.
You may be right, but Chief like his centers to be Man-Childs..

Reaction Score
He has more quickness and a more versatile offensive game while Sanogo is more of a force underneath and on the boards. Would be absolutely ecstatic getting either.
The discussion is worth having, and there are pros and cons to the fit with Hurley's system, but based on seeing Mac 2x and Sanogo 3x, plus clips, I think Sanogo has far more quickness and agility than Etienne. Quickness with feet, hands, and good anticipation is how he got 7 steals against IMG Academy at Hoophall, and on 1 steal he took the ball end line to end line beating all other players except the guard that rotated back. .Sanogo euro-stepped through him to the rim. I also think he is far and away the better rebounder. In that ING game he was against 7' Duke commit #30 Mark Williams, 6'11 2021 #13 Moussa Diabate, 7'3 huge and good 2020 Zach Edey, 6'10 2022 #6 Brandon Huntley-Hatfield, and 6'10 2021 #121 Lynn Kidd. Sanogo had 26 points, 12 rbs, 7 steals, and 2 blocks. I haven't seen evidence Etienne could remotely do as well against comparable quality players. Etienne can step out and hit a shot better, but he misses near the rim, gets his own rebound, and puts it back frequently when I see him, a la Carlton. He's not much of a leaper, like Carlton. On the other hand, I have seen Etienne play the top of a zone press rather than the last line of defense, which suggests a good ability to recover like the hedging you mention. I also would be happy to get either, but I have a different view of their strengths. I have yet to see Mac play anywhere near his ranking, so maybe I'm underestimating his capabilities. He might also be able to play the 4 in a big lineup, but that may not be in Hurley's plan even though I think going big at times during a game would put pressure on many teams.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well we have a 7 foot center now. If we get Sanogo, there’s no room for Mac really. If we don‘t we should certainly do our best, but we are still hoping for Clingan in 2022. So I’m not overly worried about it. I also think Javonte Brown Ferguson is going to end up being a stud in a year or two.

If we somehow strike out on all three of Mac, Sanogo and Clingan then I’ll be concerned.

Reaction Score
No, I would just prefer a SANOooooo-----GOOOOOOO chant over a "BIG MAC" chant even though i like my MAC sauce....

Reaction Score
UConn isn't even mentioned. He hasn't taken an official here?

Reaction Score
Again no mention of us...

And an unprompted:
“I’m really close with coach [Orlando] Antigua.

Barf.

UConn isn't even mentioned. He hasn't taken an official here?

He was supposed to be '21 and taking most of his visits this year. He's been unofficially to UConn several times, including being in the locker room after the Memphis win.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
And an unprompted:

Barf.

He was supposed to be '21 and taking most of his visits this year. He's been unofficially to UConn several times, including being in the locker room after the Memphis win.
This is so reminiscent of the Cockburn recruitment. Where he was talking about us, seemed to be a lean our way then Illinois gets a visit they become heavily involved, other schools offer and we are totally out of the picture.

Reaction Score
And an unprompted:

Barf.

If a kid says they're really close with Antigua that's almost a move on from him for me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom