Mac Etienne | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mac Etienne

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don’t know what was being said to Etienne, so can’t really comment on it, but I never understood why it’s considered part of the job to turn the other cheek when ppl scream outrageous stuff at you—or why that’s considered the “noble” thing to do. You definitely could argue you should try not to react to it and tune it out because it’s the best thing for your own sanity and image, but beyond that who gives an if some idiot gets something coming to him after saying something he wouldn’t have the balls to say if he thought you could do something about it.
It's part of the job to more or less take it. Yelling back is about the most you can do, or an obscene gesture and even that looks bad. Spitting is worse. Going in to the stands is worse still.

That's the deal. You take on a role where you become a public persona and that's the reality. It's a critical life lesson many of these young men need to learn. You can't behave like you might on the streets (and that might get you arrested, or shot). However much the words hurt, they only hurt if you let them. Mental toughness. And yes, Hurley himself fell down on that account this week. He should know better.

And no, I don't condone whoever is yelling at college kids playing a basketball game. They are in the wrong as well. We all take this stuff too seriously.

Reaction Score
Depends on what they yell.

There are plenty of things people can say that earn them getting punched in the face. So, I guess it comes down to where you put spitting in the hierarchy.
He spit into a crowd of people. What about the person who had spit land on them who didn’t say anything? It’s disgusting. If you’re such a tough guy. Go handle the person or persons individually who actually said something to you

Reaction Score
Bizarre act, bizarre thread. He is not going to jail for spitting on someone. You don't go to jail for a first offense of physically punching the guy he was responding to. I'm trying to imagine a prosecutor being willing to actually spend his time trying to get a jury to convict for that, technical assault or not. That having been said, especially during a pandemic it is wrong and hopefully UCLA punishes him appropriately. In terms of ruining his social media presence for life -- I'm too old to comment. My solution would be don't log on and bother to hear what people not willing to say something to your face have to say about you.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
He spit into a crowd of people. What about the person who had spit land on them who didn’t say anything? It’s disgusting. If you’re such a tough guy. Go handle the person or persons individually who actually said something to you
Yeah I don’t mean this specific incident. Obviously spitting randomly into the crowd is stupid and gross. My point is more, why is it part of the job/role to try to ignore ppl screaming horrible stuff at you and sometimes throwing stuff at you?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I've seen some awful takes on the BY but this one is up there. Appreciate how you pivot from downplaying a player spitting on fans to somehow playing the victim yourself and end it by sharing your thoughts on society at large.
Most us us know why you most likely don’t like his comments. If he left the social comment out……….
I would never condone anyone spitting on anyone or anything but on the ground, in the toilet or in their own sink. I have a feeling something extremely personally derogatory was said or perhaps something racial (yes he is white). That needs to be looked into. U of A campus police as well as Tucson PD have seen incidents as bad as this and turn away - 3 of my nieces and nephews graduated from there recently and they have told us some unreal stories.
That does not give this kid a pass at all.
It’s an unfortunate incident for all involved.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
My memory is fuzzy about when Hilton scratched the side of his head. Was there a 'consequence' for that?

I know Donny got T'd up for clapping.

Two movie scenes come to mind:
Alex DeLarge spitting
Bonnie Parker getting spit at

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
What about them? They're idiots but it's just words. Hurley yelled back at the "fans" who yelled at him. I think it's a bad look for the guy making nearly 3 mil. per year representing the state University to do that but it's fine. If he spit on those fans a couple of times I would expect the University to fire him that night.
I know. I would’ve suspended Dan for just trying to get in conflict with the fans. But I think it’s more interesting to talk about fan etiquette, since nobody disagrees that coach’s and players need thick skin.

Reaction Score
My memory is fuzzy about when Hilton scratched the side of his head. Was there a 'consequence' for that?

I know Donny got T'd up for clapping.

Two movie scenes come to mind:
Alex DeLarge spitting
Bonnie Parker getting spit at

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member