Lville UConn | The Boneyard

Lville UConn

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just thinking about tonites game. CD guarding Durr. Well that could have an effect on CD scoring and if it does MW or CW will have to pick up the scoring slack. You can pretty much count on UConn having 4 double digit scorers. I would be very surprised if they didnt. That would mean that LVille would need everybody not named Durr to score in double digits and that hasnt happened much. The difference tonite will be UConns defense and execution. I dont expect to see UConn jacking up alot of quick treys. I do expect a completely focused defense and a poised attack on offense, in this being a big game.

For LVille. They need double digit scoring other then Durr. UConns defense is to good and Durr is very good and in a big games things tend to change. The crowd for LVille should help momentum however Durr can not beat UConn by herself. Lville seems to depend on Durr for their scoring. Against UConns defense they will need more scorers. If UConns defense helps get them an early lead then the crowd is quieted and that makes it more difficult for LVille.

UConn is beginning to come out of their shooting slump. In a big game like this focus is on execution and I expect the focus to be like it was in the ND game. Lazor Focus. Barring injuries and alot of UConn foul trouble UConn wins this by double digits in a very hard fought game.

Reaction Score
I'm an Asia Durr fan. Kia Nurse may have shut her down last year, but she's stronger and wiser now, so I don't expect Crystal or anyone else to do the same this year.

I remember a 1986 playoff game between the Celtics and the Bulls before the Bulls' championship runs in the 1990s but after Michael Jordan's rookie season. The Celtics barely bothered guarding Jordan, Jordan scored 63 points and the Celtics won the game, albeit in double overtime, 135-131.

The point is, one player does not a basketball team make.

Reaction Score
Right now the Huskies are a 3.5 point favorite. That may very well change by
game time.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Just thinking about tonites game. CD guarding Durr. Well that could have an effect on CD scoring and if it does MW or CW will have to pick up the scoring slack. You can pretty much count on UConn having 4 double digit scorers. I would be very surprised if they didnt. That would mean that LVille would need everybody not named Durr to score in double digits and that hasnt happened much. The difference tonite will be UConns defense and execution. I dont expect to see UConn jacking up alot of quick treys. I do expect a completely focused defense and a poised attack on offense, in this being a big game.

For LVille. They need double digit scoring other then Durr. UConn's defense is to good and Durr is very good and in a big games things tend to change. The crowd for LVille should help momentum however Durr can not beat UConn by herself. Lville seems to depend on Durr for their scoring. Against UConn's defense they will need more scorers. If UConn's defense helps get them an early lead then the crowd is quieted and that makes it more difficult for LVille.

UConn is beginning to come out of their shooting slump. In a big game like this focus is on execution and I expect the focus to be like it was in the ND game. Lazar Focus. Barring injuries and a lot of UConn foul trouble UConn wins this by double digits in a very hard fought game.

Great post!!! To add to your comment about the other LV players needing to step up their scoring - When you have a player like Durr (James Harden, LeBron, Kyrie Irving, Kobi, etc) that dominates the ball, sometimes the other players get lulled to sleep, and lose their offensive aggressiveness. They tend to stand around waiting for the ball hog super star player to dribble the clock out then shoot. They are not always able to "flip the switch" when the need calls, and suddenly become uber aggressive, ready to make a play.

We'll see how much Crystal is able to slow down Durr. If she's successful, as you said, her teammates will have to step up their scoring efforts, or they fall behind quickly, and UConn runs off and hides. A scenario I'd have no problem with. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm an Asia Durr fan. Kia Nurse may have shut her down last year, but she's stronger and wiser now, so I don't expect Crystal or anyone else to do the same this year.
I remember a 1986 playoff game between the Celtics and the Bulls before the Bulls' championship runs in the 1990s but after Michael Jordan's rookie season. The Celtics barely bothered guarding Jordan, Jordan scored 63 points and the Celtics won the game, albeit in double overtime, 135-131.
The point is, one player does not a basketball team make.
Durr is injured & missed Louisville last game. Pure Urban legend that Celtics "barely bothered guarding Jordan" in that game. The Celtics 5 starters Dennis Johnson, Danny Ainge & Larry Bird, Robert Parish and Kevin McHale all tried, just couldn't. All were All-NBA defensive players at some point in their careers.
Dennis Johnson never played a game in his NBA career where he wasn't trying to guard someone very hard. Danny Ainge would irritate the hell out of you once he thought he couldn't guard you.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
People forget Hines Allen's contribution. We shoot, score, or rebound and put back and Durr will not be barreling down the court.

Reaction Score
I believe Durr has some ongoing knee tendonitis and was held out of the last game but she would have played if she was needed.............JW says he expects her to be fully ready to play tonight.............just hope she's a bit rusty...........

Reaction Score
I've been waiting for this game. I honestly don't know who will pull it out. I see UConn, but if Durr an another teammate are super hot it may be hard for UConn to keep up. However, if 3 of the UConn starters can hit early the tides could really turn in their favor.

Reaction Score
After the UCF game, most were doing a victory dance and calling the game UConn's best all-around effort to date. However, as I watched that game I was very impressed with the Huskies' transition defense, once the game settled down to a more conventional half-court contest I was less impressed. UCF was able to penetrate easily into the paint from which they repeatedly scored short jumpers. Lou in her pre-game comments yesterday confessed that this team does not have very good individual defenders. So, she said, they are concentrating on "team defense." That seemed to mean a more layered scheme where there are multiple defenders picking up as the opponent tries to drive toward the basket. This needs to work if the Cardinals are to be held in check. Otherwise it'll be a track meet in which UConn will have to outscore L'ville.
But thanks for the hecture, Tony.

Reaction Score
Great post!!! To add to your comment about the other LV players needing to step their scoring - When you have a player like Durr (James Harden, LeBron, Kobi, etc) that dominates the ball, sometimes the other players get lulled to sleep. They are not aggressive offensively. They wait for the super star player to dribble the clock out then shoot. They are not always able to "flip the switch" when the need calls, and suddenly become uber aggressive.

We'll see how much Crystal is able to slow down Durr. If she's successful, as you said, her teammates will have to step up their scoring efforts, or they fall behind quickly, and UConn runs off and hides. A scenario I'd have no problem with. :cool:
@Scoop/TonyC---Nice stuff all around. I am hoping Uconn has 4 maybe 3 double digits scorers. I agree with much TonyC writes, and you too Scoop enjoyable and informative reading thanks.
I have a slight inkling that Geno at some point in the game will switch to CW guarding Durr. She did a great job on ND' Mabrey. I also think there was no shooting slump, there was a bit of tiredness--and these kids are now rested, hold on to your hats it will be a fun night--regardless of the outcome. These are games Uconn Players and Fans were designed to play.

Reaction Score
Durr is injured & missed Louisville last game. Pure Urban legend that Celtics "barely bothered guarding Jordan" in that game. The Celtics 5 starters Dennis Johnson, Danny Ainge & Larry Bird, Robert Parish and Kevin McHale all tried, just couldn't. All were All-NBA defensive players at some point in their careers.
Dennis Johnson never played a game in his NBA career where he wasn't trying to guard someone very hard. Danny Ainge would irritate the hell out of you once he thought he couldn't guard you.

I watched the game. I stand by my analysis. No one could guard Jordan during that time. The Celtics were old and chose not to waste the time and energy trying. It was that group of Celtics' last hurrah. They knew what they were doing, obviously. It was an NBA version of "rope a dope" - what Ali did to George Foreman.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I watched the game. I stand by my analysis. No one could guard Jordan during that time. The Celtics were old and chose not to waste the time and energy trying. It was that group of Celtics' last hurrah. They knew what they were doing, obviously. It was an NBA version of "rope a dope" - what Ali did to George Foreman.
Speaking of wasting energy, that was a very bad strategy on Boston's part then because that was a Double OT Playoff game in which Larry Bird logged 56 minutes, McHale 51 & a creaky Bill Walton logged 25 mins.
BTW Jordan had 21 FT attempts in that game that a lot of FT attempts for a person they were not trying to guard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'll be surprised if this game isn't won or lost in UConn's defensive paint. If they can't rebound and stop dribble penetration it could be a tough night. I think the perimeter games may be a draw.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Speaking of wasting energy, that was a very bad strategy on Boston's part then because that was a Double OT Playoff game in which Larry Bird logged 56 minutes, McHale 51 & a creaky Bill Walton logged 25 mins.
BTW Jordan had 21 FT attempts in that game that a lot of FT attempts for a person they were not trying to guard.
Well you always have to take into account "Jordan rules". ;)

Reaction Score

Well, they DID win the NBA championship that year, their last championship with that group.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just thought I would look up Asia Durr's Statistics.

She has been somewhat inconsistent this year. I know she has knee issues etc but what also stands out is that
her 3 pt shooting (last year she was > 44%) has been pretty poor most of the season but she is beginning to heat up.

1548953842763.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well you always have to take into account "Jordan rules". ;)
Yea but this was '86 the Jordan rules as implemented by bad boy Pistons didn't come into play until a few years later.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, they DID win the NBA championship that year, their last championship with that group.
True. Incidentally, my interest in this game was very high because there was a skinny kid from West Philly on the Bulls rosters that would routinely abuse me in summer league when we were growing up.

Reaction Score
True. Incidentally, my interest in this game was very high because there was a skinny kid from West Philly on the Bulls rosters that would routinely abuse me in summer league when we were growing up.

Gene Banks?

Reaction Score
It's not just Durr, I'm not counting or discounting the knee ----I expect her to play big.

The worrisome part of this for me is the rest of the team. They came back hard on ND and it wasn't about Durr.

Last year we scored big out of the gate --- and he played Kia shutdown D on Durr, and the game was just about over at the half. Second half was almost meaningless as Coach switched the D.

This years Louisville team looks different ---- nobody's folding, and they look better balanced.

UConn -3.5 looks about right ----- If everybody plays to form I think this may come down to foul shots.

This game is a lot bigger test that most thought at the start of the season I think.

That place is gonna be rockin' ----Stub Hub has tickets rocketing too

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom