Lunch in NYC Dec 8 game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lunch in NYC Dec 8 game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ugh, I don't know how you guys like that stuff. I ate it last time I was in NYC and didn't think it was very good. I'm in Boston and there's a chicken kabob cart right outside my building that is way better.
You watch your mouth. As long as you're willing to accept that your food hangover will be way worse than the hangover from the dunkeness that led you to halal guys, that place is great. Bonus, the perfect cure for that food hangover is the breakfast of leftover halal guys that I always seem to have the next morning.

Reaction Score
Yup, thats exactly my point especially for a new york first timer. I mean the steak house recs in this thread are great too, but do you really want to spend a c-note each at lunch? (I exaggerate, but only a little, depending on where you are going) and while the NYC steakhouses are top shelf, you can find good Steakhouse in other parts of the country. You are not finding Deli like Katz's ANYWHERE. Not even really in NYC anymore either. Nobody should go through their life saying they haven't tried reall NY Deli at least once. Its a dying breed (there a few I like, but thats another thread). 20 bucks for a sandwich you will be hard pressed to finish (but finish you will because its so frickin good).

By the way, The best Sandwich in NY right now (well my opinion, but it is my current fav) is right across from Katz's at Russ and Daughters and is called the Super Heebster. http://www.russanddaughters.com/menu-sandwich.php It is SO good. I wouldnt recommend to a steak and burger guy or someone who is not familiar with jewish fish styles. In one gluttonous recent trip I actually ate one of those AND a Katz's Pastrami within 2 hours of each other. It wasnt pretty. But it was fun.

Just at Katz's recently, and maybe its just me, but I will take this sucker over a burger every day of the week. (notice the vet move of mixing in Full sours with Half sours on my pickle plate :)
nheBnda.jpg
My mouth is watering, always heard Katz's has great hot dogs but who could ever get past the pastrami and corned beef to actually order one. That is the perfect table of food right there!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well if you are actually a Philadelphian ( which a couple of my best friends are) that's what they eat, roast pork. They leave the cheesesteaks for the tourists. And you're right, it's great. ( but I do admit to loving a cheesesteak too)
The roast pork sandwich is so freaking good and for me it needs the broccoli rabe instead of spinach. The deliciousness of the roast pork sammie shouldn't diminish the greatness of the cheesesteak which Philly people also eat all the time. It's far from the greatest food city but Philly is the best sammie city.
Don't get me wrong: I also love a good cheesesteak. I just prefer the Roast Pork Special and can't believe that it not heralded at all, while everyone knows about a Philly cheesesteak.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
My mouth is watering, always heard Katz's has great hot dogs but who could ever get past the pastrami and corned beef to actually order one. That is the perfect table of food right there!

The hot dogs are fantastic. But yeah, I cant pass the pastrami in that place. Its the best in the country. The corned beef is great too,but comparable to other top line Delis... but Katzs Pastrami is on its own level.

Reaction Score
The hot dogs are fantastic. But yeah, I cant pass the pastrami in that place. Its the best in the country. The corned beef is great too,but comparable to other top line Delis... but Katzs Pastrami is on its own level.

True story: Langers in Los Angeles buries Katz's. Have at it, west coast haters.

Next time you're at Russ & Daughters try the Pastrami Russ.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
BigErnMcCracken said:
True story: Langers in Los Angeles buries Katz's. Have at it, west coast haters. Next time you're at Russ & Daughters try the Pastrami Russ.

There is good deli in LA.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Yup, thats exactly my point especially for a new york first timer. I mean the steak house recs in this thread are great too, but do you really want to spend a c-note each at lunch? (I exaggerate, but only a little, depending on where you are going) and while the NYC steakhouses are top shelf, you can find good Steakhouse in other parts of the country. You are not finding Deli like Katz's ANYWHERE. Not even really in NYC anymore either. Nobody should go through their life saying they haven't tried reall NY Deli at least once. Its a dying breed (there a few I like, but thats another thread). 20 bucks for a sandwich you will be hard pressed to finish (but finish you will because its so frickin good).

By the way, The best Sandwich in NY right now (well my opinion, but it is my current fav) is right across from Katz's at Russ and Daughters and is called the Super Heebster. http://www.russanddaughters.com/menu-sandwich.php It is SO good. I wouldnt recommend to a steak and burger guy or someone who is not familiar with jewish fish styles. In one gluttonous recent trip I actually ate one of those AND a Katz's Pastrami within 2 hours of each other. It wasnt pretty. But it was fun.

Just at Katz's recently, and maybe its just me, but I will take this sucker over a burger every day of the week. (notice the vet move of mixing in Full sours with Half sours on my pickle plate :)

So you're saying that before I leave NYC (hopefully for good on 1 Nov) that I should go downtown and try this stuff? 2nd Ave Deli is not far from the apartment, but I never bothered. I'm not a fan of pickles, I like country bread and butters but dill pickles are just not all that appealing.
Only thing I might miss from here is Ess-a-Bagel. Then again, I haven't been there in a couple of years... Looking forward to Dungeness crab season in Ess .

Reaction Score
True story: Langers in Los Angeles buries Katz's. Have at it, west coast haters.

Next time you're at Russ & Daughters try the Pastrami Russ.
I've heard of it and will have to try it if I ever head out to LA again. LA like NYC has a proud Jewish deli tradition. August, you also need to try Dinic's in the Reading Terminal market.

Reaction Score
So you're saying that before I leave NYC (hopefully for good on 1 Nov) that I should go downtown and try this stuff? 2nd Ave Deli is not far from the apartment, but I never bothered. I'm not a fan of pickles, I like country bread and butters but dill pickles are just not all that appealing.
Only thing I might miss from here is Ess-a-Bagel. Then again, I haven't been there in a couple of years... Looking forward to Dungeness crab season in Ess .
2nd Avenue deli was always good but I prefer the thicker sliced meat at Katz's. Of course you have to try all that stuff if you live in NYC, with all of the headaches the city brings eating good grub is one of the few perks.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
In addition to/instead of Rattle n Hum, Gingerman and/or Pony Bar, I would also highly recommend Shorty's (there are two pretty equidistant to MSG, but I prefer the one in Hell's Kitchen, less than a ten-minute walk to the Garden).

http://www.shortysnyc.com/

Very reasonably priced beer and a very decent selection, and the food is very high quality pub grub, with a Philly-area focus like cheesesteaks and the Roast Pork Special, which is hands down my favorite menu item there and a must-get (with the sharp provolone and broccoli rabe). For the life of me, I can't understand how the cheese steak became the famous Philly sandwich when the Roast Pork Special blows it away.
Now that we've taken care of the raccoon (plus possum plus squirrels) 'situation', I can go back to liking your food picks.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
2nd Avenue deli was always good but I prefer the thicker sliced meat at Katz's. Of course you have to try all that stuff if you live in NYC, with all of the headaches the city brings eating good grub is one of the few perks.
Have generally preferred 2nd Ave for pastrami & Katz's for corned beef. Whatever you do, don't it "lean." "Juicy" is the only way to go, and an occasional sandwich will not clog your arteries. Recommended for the adventurous: David's Brisket House in Brooklyn.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I've heard of it and will have to try it if I ever head out to LA again. LA like NYC has a proud Jewish deli tradition. August, you also need to try Dinic's in the Reading Terminal market.
Have heard of it. havent tried it. Im not in Philly that often, but would love try it.

Back on Pastrami.... other than Katz's I have a couple go to spots on my way out of the city.

Pastrami Queen (which is decent) on the upper East Side.

but my super secret favorite (and its all Locals and it is cheaper than Katz's and the Pastrami is just a hair from being as good) is Liebman's in the Bronx. Place rocks.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Have generally preferred 2nd Ave for pastrami & Katz's for corned beef. Whatever you do, don't it "lean." "Juicy" is the only way to go, and an occasional sandwich will not clog your arteries. Recommended for the adventurous: David's Brisket House in Brooklyn.

Lean is for the old grandmothers. Way too dry. You gotta have some fat in there. You can say juicy or use the Yiddish term "Schpek" ... Not a ton but enough to moisten it. For anyone who hasnt been to Katz's before Some ordering tips: Go to the counter yourself, do not opt for Waitress service. Put a buck or two in the tip jar of the guy carving your sandwich and he will give you a healthy sample while you are waiting (its great food foreplay) and also cut it as lean or fatty as you want it dont be afraid to tell exactly how you want it. Continue on for your sides (if wanted sandwich and pickles enough for me!) and sit anywhere.
Just dont lose your ticket! You lose your ticket and you are paying 50 bucks no matter what you had.

I think Katz's is the last Deli to hand cut pastrami. Everyone else on a slicer now.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Have heard of it. havent tried it. Im not in Philly that often, but would love try it.

Back on Pastrami.... other than Katz's I have a couple go to spots on my way out of the city.

Pastrami Queen (which is decent) on the upper East Side.

but my super secret favorite (and its all Locals and it is cheaper than Katz's and the Pastrami is just a hair from being as good) is Liebman's in the Bronx. Place rocks.
Thanks for the above. Perhaps Liebman's can become my west side getaway stop-off, like Patsy's Pizza slices are on the east side. During the wooing days, I brought my Amarillo-born BBQ gal to Katz's late night, then Pastrami Queen takeout enjoyed beneath an East River full moon. After that, she was ready for my similar Katz's ordering instructions while I circled the block. I unexpectedly found a parking space and went inside just in time to watch her execute things perfectly. Not the same guys behind the counter as 30-40 years ago, but still unique & special.

Reaction Score

nheBnda.jpg
I thought that was a picture taken from Rein's Deli in Vernon, CT. They serve Dr. Browns soda as well. How many places sell that stuff?

Reaction Score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up going with Rattle N Hum. Looks pretty fun. Should be a great night capped off with a husky victory! See you all there.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I thought that was a picture taken from Rein's Deli in Vernon, CT. They serve Dr. Browns soda as well. How many places sell that stuff?
any Jewish Deli worth its salt has Dr. Browns. If they don't......run.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Are there any UConn-centric fan bars in NYC? I know some bars only really host "watch parties" for certain teams, any of those for our Huskies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom