Lunch in NYC Dec 8 game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lunch in NYC Dec 8 game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey guys, I've lived in Manhattan since 08 and am deep into the food scene here in NYC. Actually been doing a burger tour around the city this year. 2 of my favorite, old school NYC burger joints are Corner Bistro in the West Village and JG Melon, which the original is on the Upper East Side but they just opened a new one, which is just as good food wise, in Greenwich Village.

Also, check out the link to a great list of the best burgers in the city.

http://ny.eater.com/maps/new-york-city-best-burgers-restaurants-burger-week

Thoughts on the Black Label burger at Minetta Tavern? I was skeptical because I think those McNally restaurants can be too sceney but I've gotta admit it's a hell of a burger. Also, if you feel like shelling out some $ the bar at the Nomad near madison square park serves a great one. Corner Bistro's a great spot.

Reaction Score
Stout is a pretty good place thats on 33rd St...literally a 2 minute walk from MSG. The place is huge and has 3 floors so you shouldnt have to worry about it being too crowded and taking forever to get a drink/food. Me and my dad went there before the BC game of the 2K sports classic two years ago They have descent priced food and a pretty good beer selection. Strong possibility thats where we end up before the Maryland game.

RRV17A

NYC
Reaction Score
Thoughts on the Black Label burger at Minetta Tavern? I was skeptical because I think those McNally restaurants can be too sceney but I've gotta admit it's a hell of a burger. Also, if you feel like shelling out some $ the bar at the Nomad near madison square park serves a great one. Corner Bistro's a great spot.

Haven't had the Nomad burger yet, but I've heard good things. Agree with the black label at Minetta, it's delicious. I also enjoy their Minetta burger, it's a bit cheaper and has cheese on it, but I don't think the meat quality is as good.

Recently went to Raoul's in Soho, they have an off the menu au Poivre burger that was out of this world. Problem is, they only serve 12 a night at the bar.

Reaction Score
If this might be his one trip to NYC, depending on your budget, I would go to Keens Steakhouse...just a few blocks from the Garden and one of NYC classics. Was there for dinner a few weeks ago and it was very good

www.keens.com/
This

Reaction Score
I see it's time to repost the sports bars that UConn has gathered in past. NO assurance some of these are still there. I personally have had a tuff time actually finding BYers anywhere.

If you got the time, I'd go to Hill Country on 26th ST near 5th. Great bourbon bar. Stout is very close to MSG.

Have a manhatten for me. I'll still be recovering from hip replacement.

Some NYC Sports Bars

Blondie’s 79th & Amsterdam

Brother Jimmy, (ACC bar) Amsterdam 80-81

Bourbon St, Amsterdam 79-80

*ESPN Zone. 42nd St at Broadway

*Park Avenue Country Club, Park Ave. South at 27th St. Very busy place but have all the games.

Mercury Bar, 3rd Avenue between 34th and 35th St. Another on 9th Avenue at 45th St?

Harrison's Tavern, Amsterdam Ave. at 77th St. Big Red Sox bar, perhaps with BCU jokers.

Hairy Monk, 3rd Ave at 25th St. Red Sox sanctuary.

Ledgends eerd near 5th Av

The Riviera Cafe, West 4th St. at Seventh Ave. Red Sox friendly bar.

The Gin Mill, Amsterdam Ave. between 81st and 82nd St.

Scruffy Duffy's, 8th Avenue between 46th and 47th St,

Copper Door Tavern, 3rd Avenue between 21st and 22nd St.

The Gym. 167 8th Ave (18-19th St) BC fans?

Ship of Fools. 2nd Ave (82nd and 83rd St)

Standings. &th St (2nd & Bowery)

Stout 33rd (6th – 7th Av)

Mad River. 82nd & 3rd Ave

O’Reilly’s Townhouse. 21 W. 35th between 5th and 6th Avenue Phone # 502-5246

Mustang Harry 352 7th Av / 30th St

Mustang Sally 324 7th Av / 28th St

Hill Country, 30 W 26th (5th – 6th Ave) Great bourbon bar & BBQ

Van Diemen

Vaughn’s

Feel like I just read a buzzfeed article, haha. Blondies has great wings.

Reaction Score
So i'm taking the Train into Grand central and walking to the Garden with a friend from there. We'll get in early to eat and hang out. He wants to go to D&Bs which I'm cool with but I'd perfer to eat and drink somewhere else. Anything in that general time square area or between grand central and there that i might try? We are looking for beers that arent priced like they are in the garden and burgers/tenders/fries type food.

Edit: Sorry, not trying to jack your thread OP. Just figured I'd jump in.

Reaction Score
Taking a friend, he's more of a beer & burger/steak guy. He's never been to the city. Not sure when he'll ever come back.

Do you have a favorite lunch spot, food network chef restaurant, or hidden local gem that would make for a memorable lunch?

Time for one meal in NYC before UConn battles MD.

I'd recommend Virgil's in Times Square. It's not exactly hidden (see Times Square) but I love the place and the BBQ is great. It's about 8-10 blocks north of MSG, not a bad walk at all.

As for dinner, my hidden gem is Pescatore on Second Avenue between 50th and 51st. The food is great, the prices are reasonable, and the service is excellent but not intrusive.

Reaction Score
So i'm taking the Train into Grand central and walking to the Garden with a friend from there. We'll get in early to eat and hang out. He wants to go to D&Bs which I'm cool with but I'd perfer to eat and drink somewhere else. Anything in that general time square area or between grand central and there that i might try? We are looking for beers that arent priced like they are in the garden and burgers/tenders/fries type food.

Edit: Sorry, not trying to jack your thread OP. Just figured I'd jump in.

D&B in time square? Think the place is going to be pricey for not great quality, would recommend any of the other places people have said.

Reaction Score
JG Melon and Minettas beginning and end of story.
I agree with JG Melon, but I personally think Minetta's is overrated. If you havent tried Brindle Room, it is hands down the best burger I have ever eaten in my life. Great apps too.

Reaction Score
D&B in time square? Think the place is going to be pricey for not great quality, would recommend any of the other places people have said.

Yup i wouldnt mind going there to play a few games, but not to eat and drink. I'll have to browse through and see what might be in route for us.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In addition to/instead of Rattle n Hum, Gingerman and/or Pony Bar, I would also highly recommend Shorty's (there are two pretty equidistant to MSG, but I prefer the one in Hell's Kitchen, less than a ten-minute walk to the Garden).

http://www.shortysnyc.com/

Very reasonably priced beer and a very decent selection, and the food is very high quality pub grub, with a Philly-area focus like cheesesteaks and the Roast Pork Special, which is hands down my favorite menu item there and a must-get (with the sharp provolone and broccoli rabe). For the life of me, I can't understand how the cheese steak became the famous Philly sandwich when the Roast Pork Special blows it away.

Reaction Score
In addition to/instead of Rattle n Hum, Gingerman and/or Pony Bar, I would also highly recommend Shorty's (there are two pretty equidistant to MSG, but I prefer the one in Hell's Kitchen, less than a ten-minute walk to the Garden).

http://www.shortysnyc.com/

Very reasonably priced beer and a very decent selection, and the food is very high quality pub grub, with a Philly-area focus like cheesesteaks and the Roast Pork Special, which is hands down my favorite menu item there and a must-get (with the sharp provolone and broccoli rabe). For the life of me, I can't understand how the cheese steak became the famous Philly sandwich when the Roast Pork Special blows it away.

Thanks man, I'm going to suggest this. 4 dollar beers is what i'm talking about!!

RRV17A

NYC
Reaction Score
Thanks man, I'm going to suggest this. 4 dollar beers is what i'm talking about!!

Shorty's is great, try the buffalo chicken cheese steak too, it's really good.

Reaction Score
I agree with JG Melon, but I personally think Minetta's is overrated. If you havent tried Brindle Room, it is hands down the best burger I have ever eaten in my life. Great apps too.

I had a burger @ the Brindle Room 2 weeks ago and I thought it was an 8/10. I think Melon and Bistro are about the same quality as Brindle Room - really good but not exceptional. I am probably in the minority but I would take a good, griddle cooked burger all day over any of these pub style burgers. I feel odd choosing a chain restaurant as my favorite, but I can't help myself. Shake Shack all day. Psyched to have one near me in Westport.

RRV17A

NYC
Reaction Score
I had a burger @ the Brindle Room 2 weeks ago and I thought it was an 8/10. I think Melon and Bistro are about the same quality as Brindle Room - really good but not exceptional. I am probably in the minority but I would take a good, griddle cooked burger all day over any of these pub style burgers. I feel odd choosing a chain restaurant as my favorite, but I can't help myself. Shake Shack all day. Psyched to have one near me in Westport.

JG Melon burgers ARE griddle cooked burgers, since 1972. The difference in the meat is thinner patties cooked well done in a fast food service style vs. larger patties cooked to order with a blend from Master Purveyors.

Bistro cooks their meat in a broiler and Brindle Room uses cast iron to cook their burgers in a cast iron skillet.

Reaction Score
JG Melon burgers ARE griddle cooked burgers, since 1972. The difference in the meat is thinner patties cooked well done in a fast food service style vs. larger patties cooked to order with a blend from Master Purveyors.

Bistro cooks their meat in a broiler and Brindle Room uses cast iron to cook their burgers in a cast iron skillet.

Thanks for the correction. I am biased towards the thinner, smashed style burger. Brindle Room was cooked absolutely perfect, its just not my style.

RRV17A

NYC
Reaction Score
Thanks for the correction. I am biased towards the thinner, smashed style burger. Brindle Room was cooked absolutely perfect, its just not my style.

Yea everyone has their own style! Those are some of the NYC staple burger spots so if you try them all you get to know what you like.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
8893 said:
In addition to/instead of Rattle n Hum, Gingerman and/or Pony Bar, I would also highly recommend Shorty's (there are two pretty equidistant to MSG, but I prefer the one in Hell's Kitchen, less than a ten-minute walk to the Garden). http://www.shortysnyc.com/ Very reasonably priced beer and a very decent selection, and the food is very high quality pub grub, with a Philly-area focus like cheesesteaks and the Roast Pork Special, which is hands down my favorite menu item there and a must-get (with the sharp provolone and broccoli rabe). For the life of me, I can't understand how the cheese steak became the famous Philly sandwich when the Roast Pork Special blows it away.

Well if you are actually a Philadelphian ( which a couple of my best friends are) that's what they eat, roast pork. They leave the cheesesteaks for the tourists. And you're right, it's great. ( but I do admit to loving a cheesesteak too)

Reaction Score
You need to eat a lot of Burgers at JD Melon to feel satisfied. Reminds me of Wayback Burgers in CT. A prior commenter recommended Jackson Hole. If price is an issue I would agree, as you get a good burger and fries at a reasonable price, but not really close to MSG. If you have money to spend, then you are better off at quality steak places which are numerous in Manhattan. Smith and Wollensky at 49th and 3rd would be convenient. And..not to plug a place, but if you want really good quality in a sports bar atmosphere, Madison Square Tavern, 30th St between 6th and 7th would be excellent. A bit pricey, but very very good and a short walk to the Garden.

Reaction Score

Depends what you're in the mood for really. Melon is two blocks from me so it's my local place and it's hard to beat and I've been going there a long time.

No experience with brindle room, will have to check it out.

Reaction Score
Well if you are actually a Philadelphian ( which a couple of my best friends are) that's what they eat, roast pork. They leave the cheesesteaks for the tourists. And you're right, it's great. ( but I do admit to loving a cheesesteak too)
The roast pork sandwich is so freaking good and for me it needs the broccoli rabe instead of spinach. The deliciousness of the roast pork sammie shouldn't diminish the greatness of the cheesesteak which Philly people also eat all the time. It's far from the greatest food city but Philly is the best sammie city. I agree with you on the original poster should go to Katz's. You can get a great burger all over the country but you would be hard pressed to find a pastrami or corned beef that approaches this NYC institution.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I agree with you on the original poster should go to Katz's. You can get a great burger all over the country but you would be hard pressed to find a pastrami or corned beef that approaches this NYC institution.

Yup, thats exactly my point especially for a new york first timer. I mean the steak house recs in this thread are great too, but do you really want to spend a c-note each at lunch? (I exaggerate, but only a little, depending on where you are going) and while the NYC steakhouses are top shelf, you can find good Steakhouse in other parts of the country. You are not finding Deli like Katz's ANYWHERE. Not even really in NYC anymore either. Nobody should go through their life saying they haven't tried reall NY Deli at least once. Its a dying breed (there a few I like, but thats another thread). 20 bucks for a sandwich you will be hard pressed to finish (but finish you will because its so frickin good).

By the way, The best Sandwich in NY right now (well my opinion, but it is my current fav) is right across from Katz's at Russ and Daughters and is called the Super Heebster. http://www.russanddaughters.com/menu-sandwich.php It is SO good. I wouldnt recommend to a steak and burger guy or someone who is not familiar with jewish fish styles. In one gluttonous recent trip I actually ate one of those AND a Katz's Pastrami within 2 hours of each other. It wasnt pretty. But it was fun.

Just at Katz's recently, and maybe its just me, but I will take this sucker over a burger every day of the week. (notice the vet move of mixing in Full sours with Half sours on my pickle plate :)
nheBnda.jpg

Reaction Score
It's a bit out of the way; but, took some friends to Bill's Burger Bar in Rockefeller a week ago and the food was good, has an extensive beer menu and was not pricy for a tourist location. Plus, it's huge with two levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom