Lunch in NYC Dec 8 game | The Boneyard

Lunch in NYC Dec 8 game

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Taking a friend, he's more of a beer & burger/steak guy. He's never been to the city. Not sure when he'll ever come back.

Do you have a favorite lunch spot, food network chef restaurant, or hidden local gem that would make for a memorable lunch?

Time for one meal in NYC before UConn battles MD.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Taking a friend, he's more of a beer & burger/steak guy. He's never been to the city. Not sure when he'll ever come back.

Do you have a favorite lunch spot, food network chef restaurant, or hidden local gem that would make for a memorable lunch?

If he is a Beer/Burger/Steak guy and you have time to go downtown the clear answer is Katz's Deli for a Pastrami Sandwich.

Halal Guys is great by the way.... But Katz's will get you some "local historic flavor" along with some killer meat that seems to awe inspire NYC first timers

Reaction Score
Halal Guys is all you need
Ugh, I don't know how you guys like that stuff. I ate it last time I was in NYC and didn't think it was very good. I'm in Boston and there's a chicken kabob cart right outside my building that is way better.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hidden local gem around the Garden with a great craft beer selection / good food: Rattle n Hum.
For places reasonably close to the Garden, I agree with Rattle n Hum. Food is nothing memorable, but above average for pub grub, and the beer selection is very good.

Same with the Gingerman, which has a more limited menu, but is a nicer setting and a little better quality.

If you're willing to go as far as Hell's Kitchen, which isn't that far, the Pony Bar is my favorite beer and food spot in the city. Very good food and very good beer at reasonable prices in a cool neighborhood bar setting.

Reaction Score
During the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 we went to the Tir Na Nog before each game. Its at the corner of 8th Ave and West 33rd Street. The food there was awesome.

Reaction Score

If this might be his one trip to NYC, depending on your budget, I would go to Keens Steakhouse...just a few blocks from the Garden and one of NYC classics. Was there for dinner a few weeks ago and it was very good

www.keens.com/

Reaction Score
Love Frank, a casual Italian joint. E Greenwich village on 2nd, I think.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If you're willing to travel a little, take the E a few stops uptown from MSG and check out The National. Geoff Zakarian (former Iron Chef winner) does a masterful job there. My old man and I discovered the place completely by accident after the place we intended to eat at was closed. Truly serendipitous.

Reaction Score
If you're willing to travel a little, take the E a few stops uptown from MSG and check out The National. Geoff Zakarian (former Iron Chef winner) does a masterful job there. My old man and I discovered the place completely by accident after the place we intended to eat at was closed. Truly serendipitous.
Down 33rd ave is Jack Dempseys. Old school, food, warm fuzzy feeling.

Reaction Score
If this might be his one trip to NYC, depending on your budget, I would go to Keens Steakhouse...just a few blocks from the Garden and one of NYC classics. Was there for dinner a few weeks ago and it was very good

www.keens.com/
I second Keens, a great steakhouse. Not cheap but totally worth it. Another great steakhouse a few blocks further east is Wolfgangs.

Reaction Score
I see it's time to repost the sports bars that UConn has gathered in past. NO assurance some of these are still there. I personally have had a tuff time actually finding BYers anywhere.

If you got the time, I'd go to Hill Country on 26th ST near 5th. Great bourbon bar. Stout is very close to MSG.

Have a manhatten for me. I'll still be recovering from hip replacement.

Some NYC Sports Bars

Blondie’s 79th & Amsterdam

Brother Jimmy, (ACC bar) Amsterdam 80-81

Bourbon St, Amsterdam 79-80

*ESPN Zone. 42nd St at Broadway

*Park Avenue Country Club, Park Ave. South at 27th St. Very busy place but have all the games.

Mercury Bar, 3rd Avenue between 34th and 35th St. Another on 9th Avenue at 45th St?

Harrison's Tavern, Amsterdam Ave. at 77th St. Big Red Sox bar, perhaps with BCU jokers.

Hairy Monk, 3rd Ave at 25th St. Red Sox sanctuary.

Ledgends eerd near 5th Av

The Riviera Cafe, West 4th St. at Seventh Ave. Red Sox friendly bar.

The Gin Mill, Amsterdam Ave. between 81st and 82nd St.

Scruffy Duffy's, 8th Avenue between 46th and 47th St,

Copper Door Tavern, 3rd Avenue between 21st and 22nd St.

The Gym. 167 8th Ave (18-19th St) BC fans?

Ship of Fools. 2nd Ave (82nd and 83rd St)

Standings. &th St (2nd & Bowery)

Stout 33rd (6th – 7th Av)

Mad River. 82nd & 3rd Ave

O’Reilly’s Townhouse. 21 W. 35th between 5th and 6th Avenue Phone # 502-5246

Mustang Harry 352 7th Av / 30th St

Mustang Sally 324 7th Av / 28th St

Hill Country, 30 W 26th (5th – 6th Ave) Great bourbon bar & BBQ

Van Diemen

Vaughn’s

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Sledog, great list. Do you have a favorite for after the game lets out? Maybe a pub with music?

Reaction Score
Come on -- Nothing like DelFriscos 50th and 6th.
I'm going to Mustang Sally before the game already have a reservation .

who is joining me ??!!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I see it's time to repost the sports bars that UConn has gathered in past. NO assurance some of these are still there. I personally have had a tuff time actually finding BYers anywhere.

If you got the time, I'd go to Hill Country on 26th ST near 5th. Great bourbon bar. Stout is very close to MSG.

Have a manhatten for me. I'll still be recovering from hip replacement.

Some NYC Sports Bars

Blondie’s 79th & Amsterdam

Brother Jimmy, (ACC bar) Amsterdam 80-81

Bourbon St, Amsterdam 79-80

*ESPN Zone. 42nd St at Broadway

*Park Avenue Country Club, Park Ave. South at 27th St. Very busy place but have all the games.

Mercury Bar, 3rd Avenue between 34th and 35th St. Another on 9th Avenue at 45th St?

Harrison's Tavern, Amsterdam Ave. at 77th St. Big Red Sox bar, perhaps with BCU jokers.

Hairy Monk, 3rd Ave at 25th St. Red Sox sanctuary.

Ledgends eerd near 5th Av

The Riviera Cafe, West 4th St. at Seventh Ave. Red Sox friendly bar.

The Gin Mill, Amsterdam Ave. between 81st and 82nd St.

Scruffy Duffy's, 8th Avenue between 46th and 47th St,

Copper Door Tavern, 3rd Avenue between 21st and 22nd St.

The Gym. 167 8th Ave (18-19th St) BC fans?

Ship of Fools. 2nd Ave (82nd and 83rd St)

Standings. &th St (2nd & Bowery)

Stout 33rd (6th – 7th Av)

Mad River. 82nd & 3rd Ave

O’Reilly’s Townhouse. 21 W. 35th between 5th and 6th Avenue Phone # 502-5246

Mustang Harry 352 7th Av / 30th St

Mustang Sally 324 7th Av / 28th St

Hill Country, 30 W 26th (5th – 6th Ave) Great bourbon bar & BBQ

Van Diemen

Vaughn’s

Good luck with your hip replacement and recovery!!!

Reaction Score
If he is a Beer/Burger/Steak guy and you have time to go downtown the clear answer is Katz's Deli for a Pastrami Sandwich.

Halal Guys is great by the way.... But Katz's will get you some "local historic flavor" along with some killer meat that seems to awe inspire NYC first timers
Katz is the best damned deli in the world.

RRV17A

NYC
Reaction Score
Hey guys, I've lived in Manhattan since 08 and am deep into the food scene here in NYC. Actually been doing a burger tour around the city this year. 2 of my favorite, old school NYC burger joints are Corner Bistro in the West Village and JG Melon, which the original is on the Upper East Side but they just opened a new one, which is just as good food wise, in Greenwich Village.

Also, check out the link to a great list of the best burgers in the city.

http://ny.eater.com/maps/new-york-city-best-burgers-restaurants-burger-week

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Hey guys, I've lived in Manhattan since 08 and am deep into the food scene here in NYC. Actually been doing a burger tour around the city this year. 2 of my favorite, old school NYC burger joints are Corner Bistro in the West Village and JG Melon, which the original is on the Upper East Side but they just opened a new one, which is just as good food wise, in Greenwich Village.

Also, check out the link to a great list of the best burgers in the city.

http://ny.eater.com/maps/new-york-city-best-burgers-restaurants-burger-week

Was just about to log on and say Corner Bistro or JG Melon haha.

I'd lean towards Corner Bistro due to West Village location and cheap (NYC prices) beers. Plus West Village is going to be a lot cooler to chill then Midtown.

RRV17A

NYC
Reaction Score
Was just about to log on and say Corner Bistro or JG Melon haha.

I'd lean towards Corner Bistro due to West Village location and cheap (NYC prices) beers. Plus West Village is going to be a lot cooler to chill then Midtown.

Totally agree, Corner Bistro is an awesome NY experience! Old school, cheap and the burger is outstanding. There are only like 5 things on the menu too haha.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Totally agree, Corner Bistro is an awesome NY experience! Old school, cheap and the burger is outstanding. There are only like 5 things on the menu too haha.

This is making me hungry for it. Definitely need to take a trip there ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom