Lunardi Bracketology - Sat. 2/12 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lunardi Bracketology - Sat. 2/12

Reaction Score
And I think we want the same thing just kind of on different sides of the spectrum. And I'm not sure about pessimistic - but it probably definitely comes across that way. So generally, I agree with that statement. I don't think we are on the bubble and think we are objectively a NCAA team. But you have to play well and win games. We really haven't played that well since the Georgetown game. Lost 3 of 4 with a tough stretch coming up. A bad week can put us on the bubble.
Yeah we definitely want the same thing, big week coming up starting tomorrow. I'm cautiously optimistic we can start off a run to get hot down the stretch. More likely we win and lose just enough to change none of the conversations

Reaction Score
They have four home games in a row, three of which in Storrs and Hartford are likely to all be sold out crowds.

While I think many if not most are disappointed in this team's performance on the road, a big opportunity for this team to make some noise with the crowd behind them over the next 10 days.

If they play the way we know they can in front of raucous home crowds, we may end up fairly pleased by the end of the month.

Reaction Score
They have four home games in a row, three of which in Storrs and Hartford are likely to all be sold out crowds.

While I think many if not most are disappointed in this team's performance on the road, a big opportunity for this team to make some noise with the crowd behind them over the next 10 days.

If they play the way we know they can in front of raucous home crowds, we may end up fairly pleased by the end of the month.

+1

Reaction Score
It is the least sexy game of the bunch, but tomorrow will be the shortest favorite (probably -4ish) we will be until the Nova game.

Reaction Score
Based on the seed lines posted above UConn is closer to being a 1 seed then being out of the tournament. If you are worried about missing the tournament then you need to reevaluate your general outlook in life.
Being a bubble team isn't missing the tournament....do you always have to be looking for a fight. We clearly aren't a bubble team but not exactly playing great with 4 tough games upcoming. Not a character flaw considering UConn recent history to have a level of concern.

Reaction Score
A good week and we are like a 3-seed. Enjoy the ride

I’m guessing like me he’s really hoping for that week to come it can’t be soon enough. But you also can’t be confident it will, pretty simple. Not cynical, not pessimistic just reality!

Reaction Score
I’m guessing like me he’s really hoping for that week to come it can’t be soon enough. But you also can’t be confident it will, pretty simple. Not cynical, not pessimistic just reality!

I’m confident that UConn will be in every game. They may win, they might lose, but they have a chance

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
UConn is not on the bubble today - no way
BUT - they are closer to a bubble position than getting to a 4 seed or better based on their unbelievably erratic performances lately
It's not the NBE, it's not the competition its all internal issues that can be cleaned up but are not being looked at by those who can change it.
This team can be a 3 seed but also could be last 4 in- thats how the play at times

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Talking about teams in every game, DePaul is not a bad team despite their record. Gotta be impressed with the coaching job there this year.

(Currently pushing a 2 seed to the brink.)

Reaction Score
A 6 seed is actually a very good spot. I would rather be under seeded as a 6, compared to being over seeded as a 4 or 5. As a 6, you would avoid the 2 seed until the Sweet 16, and you would not have to worry about the 1 seed until the Elite 8, provided they make it that far.
Good thinking. Avoiding the top 8 teams is the path of least resistance. Outside of the top 8 tournament teams, the competition levels out. A Sweet 16 run would be a good outcome for this year and allow Hurley to show further progress. This would still be a difficult achievement with the current playing roster dilemma.

A line-up change appears warranted, but each alternative choice has a downside. If Whaley sits, UConn becomes small upfront and weaker defensively. Even with him on the floor, Xavier had more front court length which helped negate Sanogo offensively; and Martin would go from being a good-size, physical 3 to an undersized 4. If Jackson sits, there's only been Cole as a reliable ballhandler. And as others have pointed out, If Jackson and Whaley are both playing, that's two players the opposing team can sag off of to double down on Sanogo. Polley understands his role, but he is limited dimensionally (shooting 3s only when open and reliable at the foul line) and not consistently able to dribble-drive, cover quicker players or rebound.

Until Jackson demonstrates consistent ability and willingness to take open outside shots and/or drive to the basket to score or dish off, I favor giving Hawkins a little more PT (maybe 2 to 4 additional minutes each half) to help him gain confidence and hopefully further develop another consistent outside scoring option that could help limit the doubling down on Sanogo. Hawkins currently has a weaker handle than Jackson, but the coaches can drill and prioritize in practice that he and Martin stay focused on assisting Cole with good ball movement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom