Luke Murray Hired as Assistant Coach | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Luke Murray Hired as Assistant Coach

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Haven't really seen his face before. Looks like his dad.

How sick of questions about his dad do you think this guy is?

He is a great speaker. Better than any of our current coaches--sorry Hurley, lol. I would imagine the acting classes as a kid are paying off, and will pay off even more when he's the face of a program as a HC.

Kind of interesting that he knew he wanted to be a COACH at 12-years-old. Most kids dream of being a player, and settle for coaching when their career is over (or never starts if you're short and lazy like me).

Some of his questions/answers...

What makes a good recruiter?: Diligence, dialed into individual players and their backgrounds including coaches and family members. Wants to know an individual player's values and how they need to be recruited individually.

Why UConn?: Experience with Tom and Hurley in his career. Watched UConn closely over the past few years. Appreciation for our players, intensity, effort, identity, and how the program has grown. Ready to work with players to continue to improvement, and bring in more great players.

What made him connect with Hurley over the years?: They communicate and respect each other. Love the way he coaches and inspires. Hurley brings a "high school mentality" in terms of being invested in relationship building with his players.

Are you sick of hearing about your dad in interviews?: Proud of his dad and his accomplishments. Doesn't have a lot to do with his career at this point. The questions are tiresome--everyone already knows it.

Why did things end at Louisville?: Came as a surprise. He was looking into head coach jobs at a couple schools, but that didn't work out. (sounds like he's a 2 and done, 3 and done guy for us... Mack firing him definitely set his career back a couple years or 3)

What role will you have in player development?: Working through that with Hurley and co. now. Worked with perimeter players before this at Ville and Xavier. Expects to have more "positional blending" this season with guards/bigs. Expects Moore and him to spend time to the bigs.

Have you talked to the players?: Yes. Everyone individually so far. Sanogo, Gaffney, and Whaley are on campus. Spent a lot of time with Whaley already (how can you not LOVE this kid???).

How old were you when you started developing AAU relationships?: He had the Bob gibbons recruiting reports sent to him as a kid in HS. Went to schools and aau in PA/NYC all over as he was in HS and college, even while he was still playing. (wow... this guy LOVES ball)

Is your dad gonna go to games?: Yes. Apparently his dad particularly has a good relationship with Tom.

I guess this is why I could never be a reporter...how annoying to still be asking about his father in any way. “Yes my father is famous for entirely different reasons than we’re here, thank you for bringing up a unique and relevant point.”

Reaction Score
I guess this is why I could never be a reporter...how annoying to still be asking about his father in any way. “Yes my father is famous for entirely different reasons than we’re here, thank you for bringing up a unique and relevant point.”

I mean what is he even supposed to say? He knows it any everyone knows his dad is Bill. Okay cool... and?

If I'm him, I'd probably be a sarcastic asshat and say "MY dad is famous? Wow, news to me!"

One of many reasons I'm not a D1 coach I guess.

Reaction Score
We have 1 true big on the roster. Most kids we're going to recruit as bigs (everyone but Clingan in 2022) is going to want to develop a face up skillset. It's a concern, but not a major one imo.
I feel like the athletic mobile big is hurleys preference but he recruited Javonte brown here and now clingan. It’s odd how with bigs he doesn’t always seem to go for system fit.

Reaction Score
I feel like the athletic mobile big is hurleys preference but he recruited Javonte brown here and now clingan. It’s odd how with bigs he doesn’t always seem to go for system fit.

We have a defense that would seem to require an athletic, mobile big... Johnson would fit that bill... but we recruit traditional bigs like Sanogo/Brown/Clingan. Later last season Hurley started keeping Sanogo out of the hard hedge to protect him from fouls some (I think), and it worked well.

I like having a traditional big on our roster. I hope we continue with that, but we will need to adjust to meet their abilities defensively. A hard hedge is often not going to fit that bill.

Reaction Score
Pure speculation here, but Murray was the lead recruiter for Rocket Watts at Louisville who also made his final list along with UConn. I know the beat guys have said no more transfers, but until Rocket is somewhere else I'll hold out hope

Reaction Score
We have a defense that would seem to require an athletic, mobile big... Johnson would fit that bill... but we recruit traditional bigs like Sanogo/Brown/Clingan. Later last season Hurley started keeping Sanogo out of the hard hedge to protect him from fouls some (I think), and it worked well.

I like having a traditional big on our roster. I hope we continue with that, but we will need to adjust to meet their abilities defensively. A hard hedge is often not going to fit that bill.
Will definitely be something to track this season to see how much hurley will bend on his hard hedge principle for sanogo. I think hurley is stubborn but he’s smart enough to know he can’t be one size fits all if he’s going to recruit traditional bigs.

Reaction Score
He doesn’t even have to drop the hard hedge. He can play it when Whaley is in and either Sanogo is resting or the other team has a 4 playing on the perimeter and not used as a screener who Sanogo can guard.

But yes, the best coaches modify their principles to fit their players when they can’t modify the players to work in the coaches preferred system.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
He doesn’t even have to drop the hard hedge. He can play it when Whaley is in and either Sanogo is resting or the other team has a 4 playing on the perimeter and not used as a screener who Sanogo can guard.

But yes, the best coaches modify their principles to fit their players when they can’t modify the players to work in the coaches preferred system.
D31A1DFE-8B4C-470B-AD57-163B6018F4F8.jpeg

Reaction Score

I think what happens next is some Rhode Island media person writes a sad column about Cox In which they take some cheap shots and express their disappointment.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I think what happens next is some Rhode Island media person writes a sad column about Cox In which they take some cheap shots and express their disappointment.

He went full Jacobs? You should never go full Jacobs!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Bozeman payed 30,000 bucks for a kid's parents to travel so they can see him play?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom