Lubin | The Boneyard

Lubin

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
If he rebounds like he talks about it and can defend his own side, all he needs to do is provide 4 to 8 points a game on putbacks and the occasional dunk on a dump-off from the guards, and he'll be playing 18 to 25 minutes.

Reaction Score
I have to admit, I have no idea as to what we can reasonably expect from him. He has the size and apparently the focus/attitude to provide the rebounding we need but is the capability actually there? We'll know soon enough I imagine.

Reaction Score
He is like Patrick Young of Fla with Charles Barkley's backside- if he has some skills to go with what God gave him he will be a beast.

Reaction Score
Wary of his impact, I can see him being a bit foul prone. Typical for freshman.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I have to admit, I have no idea as to what we can reasonably expect from him. He has the size and apparently the focus/attitude to provide the rebounding we need but is the capability actually there? We'll know soon enough I imagine.
Neither do I. We were his only D1 offer. I guess the over/under should be set at something like 5-10 minutes per game. Especially since KO is focusing this team on transition offense. I don't see where he fits. I think he will be a great asset in practices toughening the team up. I think we will see D Ham at the 4 more than Lubin... could be wrong though.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Especially since KO is focusing this team on transition offense. I don't see where he fits.

Transition offense starts on the defensive boards. If he can outlet pass, he'll be important to getting the break rolling. I wouldn't mind at all having a Wes Unseld type break starter on our team. Even half a Unseld. No telling if he'll ever develop in that direction, but he's got the body to do it, and it's been a while since we've had someone with the theoretical capability physically, and a rebounding mindset.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Transition offense starts on the defensive boards. If he can outlet pass, he'll be important to getting the break rolling. I wouldn't mind at all having a Wes Unseld type break starter on our team. Even half a Unseld. No telling if he'll ever develop in that direction, but he's got the body to do it, and it's been a while since we've had someone with the theoretical capability physically, and a rebounding mindset.
In the two games I saw tape of his play he actually was great at defensive rebounding and outlet passing and this is the role I suspect KO pictures for him. As I've stated before he was the only player capable enough on his team to pass as a center. He had to play most of the minutes each game and I think the coach told him to play "softer" to avoid foul trouble. Since he wasn't on the AAU circuit most university coaches only had his hs play to go by. But if I'm wrong about the purpose behind his "softer" play than some fans will be disappointed. Patric Young plays softer than his body would indicate.

Reaction Score
None of us know if the skill is there and he lacks a little in height but 6'7 265lbs. and with his lateral quickness and attitude there is definitely something to work with there. He is definitely the most physically strong freshman we've ever had coming in and that alone is exciting.

Reaction Score

At min 2:00 Rip talking about Wes Unseld. Just think one day a future NBA player may be talking about Mr. Rock Lubin with the same enthusiasm and respect. At UConn we shoot for the stars in player development. Good luck Mr. Rock.

Reaction Score
Always love a guy willing to clean up the boards and do the dirty work, hoping he can help us take on the rhino that was Justin McBride last year

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He already weighs more than Thabeet did as a senior. This kid is going to be an absolute monster on the boards. I can't wait to see him on the court.

Too bad he's not 7'3!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
At min 2:00 Rip talking about Wes Unseld. Just think one day a future NBA player may be talking about Mr. Rock Lubin with the same enthusiasm and respect. At UConn we shoot for the stars in player development. Good luck Mr. Rock.

Nice find!

Reaction Score
Rebounding is more about effort than ability. Dennis Rodman was physically gifted, but not so much by NBA standards, but he wanted that ball more than anyone else on the court.

Rakim > Rodman

kidding

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I love the lunch pail guys. It may be blasphemy, but he may challenge Kevin Freeman as my favorite player in UConn Husky Basketball history, when all is said and done.

Time will tell and he has 2 in front of him for 2014-2015 (Nolan and Facey, who I'd love to see challenge Freeman in the hierarchy.).

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Rebounding is more about effort than ability. Dennis Rodman was physically gifted, but not so much by NBA standards, but he wanted that ball more than anyone else on the court.

Rakim > Rodman

kidding

Not to get into the definition of 'great athlete' again (for the 400th time), but I think you're underselling Rodman's athleticism a bit.

He was an astoundingly quick jumper. Seems like he could get up, down, and back up before other guys got up and down. He was also really, really strong for his size. He was able to effectively D up a behemoth like Shaq, even giving up all that height/weight.

And of course, aside from that, there was that otherworldly anticipation.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Not to get into the definition of 'great athlete' again (for the 400th time), but I think you're underselling Rodman's athleticism a bit.

He was an astoundingly quick jumper. Seems like he could get up, down, and back up before other guys got up and down. He was also really, really strong for his size. He was able to effectively D up a behemoth like Shaq, even giving up all that height/weight.

and don't forget his fashion sense.

Reaction Score

The Rodman bit was supposed to be sarcasm. But...I think you're overselling Rodman's "effective" defense on Shaq.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=onealsh01&p2=rodmade01

They faced off 16 times.

Shaq averaged 26.8 and 13.4 in 12 regular season games, and 27 and 10.8 rebounds in 4 playoff games.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/onealsh01.html

Over Shaq's career he averaged 23.7 and 10.9

In his 12 best years, Orlando (4) and LA (8), he averaged 27.2/12.5 and 27/11.8.

Statistically speaking, Dennis Rodman didn't slow Shaq down at all.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The Rodman bit was supposed to be sarcasm. But...I think you're overselling Rodman's "effective" defense on Shaq.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=onealsh01&p2=rodmade01

They faced off 16 times.

Shaq averaged 26.8 and 13.4 in 12 regular season games, and 27 and 10.8 rebounds in 4 playoff games.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/onealsh01.html

Over Shaq's career he averaged 23.7 and 10.9

In his 12 best years, Orlando (4) and LA (8), he averaged 27.2/12.5 and 27/11.8.

Statistically speaking, Dennis Rodman didn't slow Shaq down at all.

Rodman was 6'7 220lbs. Shaq was 7'1 325lbs. Rodman's giving up 6 inches and about 100lbs.

Given those differentials, keeping Shaq to his usual numbers is goshdarn heroic, never mind 'effective'. Shaq should have gone for 45 and 20 on someone that size.

Reaction Score
Rodman was 6'7 220lbs. Shaq was 7'1 325lbs. Rodman's giving up 6 inches and about 100lbs.

Given those differentials, keeping Shaq to his usual numbers is goshdarn heroic, never mind 'effective'. Shaq should have gone for 45 and 20 on someone that size.

If double teaming didn't exist you might have a point.

But since it does let's look at who played Center with Rodman in those games vs. Shaq.

Bill Wennington, Luc Longley. Not great defenders, but certainly added length to compliment Rodman's quick hands.
David Robinson. One of the best centers of his era.
Bill Laimbeer. All he did was play physical defense.

Rodman was more likely to be helping in a double team against Shaq than he was to actually be defending him one on one. They only played 16 times, but the most effective strategy probably would have been to use Rodman to front Shaq and deny him the ball, and have your 7 footer play behind Shaq or come over to double once the entry pass was made. Whatever happened, it wasn't Rodman and Shaq going one on one for 40 minutes a game.

But feel free to move the goal posts...again.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If double teaming didn't exist you might have a point.

But since it does let's look at who played Center with Rodman in those games vs. Shaq.

Bill Wennington, Luc Longley. Not great defenders, but certainly added length to compliment Rodman's quick hands.
David Robinson. One of the best centers of his era.
Bill Laimbeer. All he did was play physical defense.

Rodman was more likely to be helping in a double team against Shaq than he was to actually be defending him one on one. They only played 16 times, but the most effective strategy probably would have been to use Rodman to front Shaq and deny him the ball, and have your 7 footer play behind Shaq or come over to double once the entry pass was made. Whatever happened, it wasn't Rodman and Shaq going one on one for 40 minutes a game.

But feel free to move the goal posts...again.

How did I move the goal posts? I didn't try to claim he played Shaq straight up all game long, although I guess it sounds like that. You said Shaq averaged the same he always did, so I just riffed on that. Nor did I say he shutdown Shaq. The term I used was 'effective', which is hardly over the top.

I watched them play against each other number of times and was very surprised to see Rodman holding his own, even when Shaq tried to back him down.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What did Thabeet weigh as a senior? I don't remember him ever being one at Uconn.

Reaction Score
How did I move the goal post?

You're going to ignore the rest of that post and focus on that one line?

Never mind, you didn't move the goal posts.

Rodman was a great athlete and a phenomenal rebounder. My OP was meant to be a joke by calling Rakim better than Rodman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom