Lubbock Christian @ Texas, Baylor, Miss St | The Boneyard

Lubbock Christian @ Texas, Baylor, Miss St

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
As exhibition season approaches, I've noticed something: the Lady Chaparrals of Lubbock Christian University have assembled quite the gauntlet of an exhibition schedule:

Oct. 28 at Texas
Oct. 30 at Baylor
Nov. 4 at Mississippi State

The Lady Chaps are not your typical exhibition-game road kill. They're the defending D-II national champions. Their Massey rating from last year would have placed them in the mid-80s among D-I teams. They have 3 starters back from last year's championship team. I'm looking forward to seeing how these three games go.

This was from a rundown on the NCAA site about the top D-II programs: DII women's basketball rankings: The preseason top 25, projected | NCAA.com

Here's what [Lubbock Christian] head coach Steve Gomez has accomplished in the past four years: two national championships, three trips to the Elite Eight, one undefeated season. But why are we only looking at the past four seasons? Because that's how long Lubbock Christian has been an official DII program.​

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As exhibition season approaches, I've noticed something: the Lady Chaparrals of Lubbock Christian University have assembled quite the gauntlet of an exhibition schedule:

Oct. 28 at Texas
Oct. 30 at Baylor

The Lady Chaps are not your typical exhibition-game road kill. They're the defending D-II national champions. Their Massey rating from last year would have placed them in the mid-80s among D-I teams. They have 3 starters back from last year's championship team. I'm looking forward to seeing how these three games go.

Here's a nice survey on the NCAA site about the top D-II programs: DII women's basketball rankings: The preseason top 25, projected | NCAA.com

Here's what [Lubbock Christian] head coach Steve Gomez has accomplished in the past four years: two national championships, three trips to the Elite Eight, one undefeated season. But why are we only looking at the past four seasons? Because that's how long Lubbock Christian has been an official DII program.​
So should they go 1-2 for these 3 exhibition games?

1571847741113.png

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I guess the host school pays for travel, food, and lodging. Is their an appearance fee as well?

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Lauren Cox's sister is a Freshman on the Lubbock Christian University team this year, which is why Baylor scheduled this game.

Reaction Score
It will be nice for comparison purposes amongst the 3 D1 schools early in the season sharing a single opponent.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
UConn played Lubbock Christian in an exh game in 2015.

Reaction Score
Playing those three teams should up their RPI ranking so the teams that play them do not take a big RPI hit either.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Do exhibition games even count in RPI formulas?

I'm fairly certain the answer is no. The games don't count toward W-L record, so I don't see how it can effect RPI.

If it did, wow the universities selected to scrimmage the USNT should get a HUGE RPI boost. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I'm fairly certain the answer is no. The games don't count toward W-L record, so I don't see how it can effect RPI.

If it did, wow the universities selected to scrimmage the USNT should get a HUGE RPI boost. :rolleyes:

Preseason games don't count towards the RPI. As far as Lubbock Christian goes, all I can think is they are probably getting a nice chunk of change for playing these games.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Definitely not. Only games vs. D-I opponents count toward RPI.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno hearing that Lubbock Christian was undefeated and playing for the Div II championship after playing UConn in exhibition earlier in the preseason.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Fours years ago this team and their fans had a great time on their trip to CT. I hope they enjoy their exhibitions this year just as much.
Thanks for posting the video. I especially liked seeing that some players from each team were posing together for a photo. I have always wondered if this was an occurrence, especially for exhibition games and first round NCAA tournament games.

Reaction Score

Oct. 28 at Texas
Oct. 30 at Baylor

This was from a rundown on the NCAA site about the top D-II programs: DII women's basketball rankings: The preseason top 25, projected | NCAA.com

Obviously the thought process by the coach is that he wants to schedule an exhibition game that is more challenging than his team’s regular schedule...

Coach Schaefer said the coach from Lubbock Christian agreed and was happy to oblige the Lady Bulldogs.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Obviously the thought process by the coach is that he wants to schedule an exhibition game that is more challenging than his team’s regular schedule...
Wow, you're not even being hyperbolic. Only exceptions are the games against West Virginia (Big 12-SEC Challenge) and possibly Stanford or Syracuse (at Victoria Invitational).

2019 season-ending Massey rating in parentheses:
Southern Miss (191)​
Tennessee-Martin (132)​
Murray State (244)​
Troy (127)​
at Jackson State (250)​
at Marquette (16) (but they will much worse this year)​
In Victoria BC:​
vs. San Francisco (223)​
vs. Green Bay (91) or Bowling Green (214)​
vs. Stanford (7) or Syracuse (19) or Houston (117) or Cal Baptist (207)​
West Virgina (47)​
at Louisiana (287)​
In Las Vegas:​
vs. South Florida (97)​
vs. Virginia (93) or UNLV (178)​
Little Rock (87)​

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wow, you're not even being hyperbolic. Only exceptions are the games against West Virginia (Big 12-SEC Challenge) and possibly Stanford or Syracuse (at Victoria Invitational).

Southern Miss (191)​
Tennessee-Martin (132)​
Murray State (244)​
Troy (127)​
at Jackson State (250)​
vs. San Francisco (223)​
West Virgina (47)​
at Louisiana (287)​
vs. South Florida (97)​
Little Rock (87)​

My goodness... that looks worse now then it did when the non-conference schedule was originally released.

Sad-Bulldog-Pup.jpg

Reaction Score

Southern Miss (191)​
Tennessee-Martin (132)​
Murray State (244)​
Troy (127)​
at Jackson State (250)​
vs. San Francisco (223)​
West Virgina (47)​
at Louisiana (287)​
vs. South Florida (97)​
Little Rock (87)​
Yeah this season’s non conference schedule as a whole is not as up to par. However the SEC schedule should even everything out. I’m not surprised there are eight teams projected in the NCAA. After a few lull years it’s a tough conference again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah this season’s non conference schedule as a whole is not as up to par. However the SEC schedule should even everything out. I’m not surprised there are eight teams projected in the NCAA. After a few lull years it’s a tough conference again.

Only if the top teams live up to standards. If you only get 2 in the top 20 then not so much. Hopefully for them A&M, SC, and Kentucky will stay in top 25.

Plebe

Reaction Score
The SEC got 7 teams in the tournament last year (although 2 of them were bubble teams). The lull in conference strength is more about the weakness of the teams at the bottom.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The SEC got 7 teams in the tournament last year. The lull in conference strength is more about the weakness of the teams at the bottom.
I feel like a few of the bottom teams in the SEC may be on the rise.

Florida has brought in some pretty decent talent - Lavender Briggs, Cavina Rickards, and Jordyn Merritt is definitely a good start.

Ole Miss is also definitely on the rise at the helm of Coach Yo.

Vanderbilt is the odd one. A starting 5 of Chelsie Hall, Brinae Alexander/Jordyn Cambridge, LeaLea Carter, Autumn Newby, and Marielle Fasoula is not a bad lineup. They just can’t convert it to wins.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom