LSU replaces UCONN as #1 - Women's college basketball Way-Too-Early Top 25 for 2023-24 | The Boneyard

LSU replaces UCONN as #1 - Women's college basketball Way-Too-Early Top 25 for 2023-24

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Some meh moves, some huge up/down. KSU & Nebraska take Duke & Oregon's places. Still awaiting the final transfer-palooza updates:
1 LSU (+2), 2 UConn (-1), 3 Iowa (+1), 4 UCLA (+2), 5 Utah (-3), 6 OSU (+2), 7 Indiana (-2), 8 S Carolina (-2)
9 VA Tech (+5)
10 Notre Dame (-)
11 Ole Miss (+4)
12 Tenn (-1)
13 Baylor (+4)
14 Louisville (+8)
15 FSU (+4)

16 Stanford (-7)
17 Maryland (-5)

18 USC (+3)
19 UNC (+5)
20 Texas (-7)
21 Colorado (-1), 22 Creighton (+1), 23 WSU (+2), 24 KSU (new), 25 Nebraska (new)

Reaction Score
At the end of the regular season most felt Uconn was a clear number 1 heading into the next season. The gap between us and a number of the top competitors seemed pretty significant. Since the end of the season there have been many big additions to the top programs from not just portal additions, but also returning fifth year players.

When talking about the impact on those teams this season, those additions are often as important as an entire recruiting class, at least for one season. Sure there will be major impact freshmen on contenders this year, but even those players will probably be significantly better by their junior or senior season. How many freshmen will be as good as returning 5th year players like Holmes at Indiana, Kitley at Virginia Tech, Jackson at Tennessee or Osbourn at UCLA, or portal transfers like Betts, Van Lith, Morrow, Pao Pao, Rodgers etc.?

After one more year the possibly of the 5th year will disappear. The Covid year and waiving the sitting out a year requirement has created a huge offseason impact. It used to be that you could make predictions on the next season immediately after the end of the tournament, having reasonable expectations of knowing what a team's roster will be. Now we have to wait for the offseason, or the equivalent of pro sports free agency period.

This year that process has worked against us. We were loaded at every position with no big holes to fill, except for proven experienced C and for all the good players in the portal there was only one (Betts) that was a likely difference maker for us. Other teams had more obvious holes (guards at LSU and SC) and many potential players to fill them.

When I saw the list of portal guards, I knew LSU and SC were each going to get a good one. It might not be their first choice or even their second, but with a half dozen to pick from it was pretty much a given they were going to be able to fill a need. Other years the portal came to the rescue for us too, like with Dorka and Lou, but this year our competitors at the top were the biggest beneficiaries. Even though it was fully anticipated, we did get one technical addition in Aubrey who could have departed after the season but is coming back, so we can be thankfull for that, and the major reason it was hard to make offseason improvements in this team was because we were so loaded at many positions to start with.

Reaction Score
With so many UConn players coming back from injuries, I can understand this projection but don't support it. In addition to UConn's anticipated great offense, what few analysists focus on is the wave of defensive players UConn will be able throw at Van Lith and other guard-oriented teams. Not only is Nika one of the top defensive players in the US, but Arnold and Shade are Top 5 players in their position and should be able to slow down some of the quickest players out there. Few teams have this balance of offensive and defensive skill sets.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im a little surprised with LSU picked at number 1. UConn imo is still number 1 and will be very hard to stop. Offensively UConn a healthy UConn with Paige Azzi and Caroline will be very hard to stop. Aaliyah down low is a proven scorer. I dont know of a team out there that will be able to slow down UConns offense. Van Lith is a great addition for LSU but she aint no Paige or Azzi.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
seinfeld jackie GIF

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
With so many UConn players coming back from injuries, I can understand this projection but don't support it. In addition to UConn's anticipated great offense, what few analysists focus on is the wave of defensive players UConn will be able throw at Van Lith and other guard-oriented teams. Not only is Nika one of the top defensive players in the US, but Arnold and Shade are Top 5 players in their position and should be able to slow down some of the quickest players out there. Few teams have this balance of offensive and defensive skill sets.
Samuels is also a good defensive player.

Reaction Score
Where we end up in the rankings depends overwhelmingly on health. Will Page rebound to anything like her pre-injury self? Will Azzi? Will Brady? Will CD? Will Griffin's surgically repaired back prove no problem to performance again most games? How many minutes and in how many consecutive games will those repaired knees permit those injured players to play at full tilt? If the answer is that they all rebound to their former pre-injury form, we'll breeze into the Final Four. If not, it could be a painful season yet again.

Reaction Score
Arnold and Shade may be good defenders, but in order for that to transfer to the next level they need more than just good on ball defender skills, they need to master the way Uconn plays a helps defense. Not saying it won't happen this season but it could take a while.

Reaction Score
The great Jackie Chiles! "Your Face is My Case!"

But back to the topic. I have no problem with this "Too Early Top-25". Just a good spring conversation starter. LSU should be #1. They are the champs and they have added a pretty solid player to their roster. Congrats, LSU on being #1 on the way too early poll.

Reaction Score
Where we end up in the rankings depends overwhelmingly on health. Will Page rebound to anything like her pre-injury self? Will Azzi? Will Brady? Will CD? Will Griffin's surgically repaired back prove no problem to performance again most games? How many minutes and in how many consecutive games will those repaired knees permit those injured players to play at full tilt? If the answer is that they all rebound to their former pre-injury form, we'll breeze into the Final Four. If not, it could be a painful season yet again.
Is it 1985 or something? Griffin has already proved to have recovered with no problem. And ACL tears are common place, to think it will limit how many consecutive games a full tilt Paige can play is ludicrous and insulting. There is no reason to expect Paige, Ice Brady, Azzi and Aubrey to no physically return 100% based on their injuries in the year 2023. Being out a full year may take them a bit to adjust mentally but the language you describe their injuries with is frankly insulting.

Reaction Score
2 more reasons lsu is #1: kim recruited a real star and possible all american this year in williams and with her winnings kim was able to buy lots more jackets :)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
At the end of the regular season most felt Uconn was a clear number 1 heading into the next season. The gap between us and a number of the top competitors seemed pretty significant. Since the end of the season there have been many big additions to the top programs from not just portal additions, but also returning fifth year players.

When talking about the impact on those teams this season, those additions are often as important as an entire recruiting class, at least for one season. Sure there will be major impact freshmen on contenders this year, but even those players will probably be significantly better by their junior or senior season. How many freshmen will be as good as returning 5th year players like Holmes at Indiana, Kitley at Virginia Tech, Jackson at Tennessee or Osbourn at UCLA, or portal transfers like Betts, Van Lith, Morrow, Pao Pao, Rodgers etc.?

After one more year the possibly of the 5th year will disappear. The Covid year and waiving the sitting out a year requirement has created a huge offseason impact. It used to be that you could make predictions on the next season immediately after the end of the tournament, having reasonable expectations of knowing what a team's roster will be. Now we have to wait for the offseason, or the equivalent of pro sports free agency period.

This year that process has worked against us. We were loaded at every position with no big holes to fill, except for proven experienced C and for all the good players in the portal there was only one (Betts) that was a likely difference maker for us. Other teams had more obvious holes (guards at LSU and SC) and many potential players to fill them.

When I saw the list of portal guards, I knew LSU and SC were each going to get a good one. It might not be their first choice or even their second, but with a half dozen to pick from it was pretty much a given they were going to be able to fill a need. Other years the portal came to the rescue for us too, like with Dorka and Lou, but this year our competitors at the top were the biggest beneficiaries. Even though it was fully anticipated, we did get one technical addition in Aubrey who could have departed after the season but is coming back, so we can be thankfull for that, and the major reason it was hard to make offseason improvements in this team was because we were so loaded at many positions to start with.
oldhuskie.................YOU NAILED IT!!!!! This is an excellent and may I say a "spot on" assessment of the current landscape in WCBB. Anyone that does not fully understand the dynamics of the portal and its effect on WCBB today need only read this post. The portal is definitely a game-changer. Thanks. :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
They call it "way too early" for a reason. We won't know who these teams really are until at least January.
True, but we can't wait THAT LONG to form an opinion and jump to conclusions. You know that! :confused: The Boneyard will have everything figured out by the time classroom instruction at UConn begins in late August. What UConn CAN BE, and what they WILL BE are two different things. I think I'll sit back in my recliner and see how things play out.

As others here have stated.......how healthy our team can stay will determine how successful they will be. We have the talent. They just have to remain healthy and be available for every game throughout the season. This past season was proof positive that we will not be successful with our team operating at only 65% of its potential. That won't feed the bulldog. LSU and South Carolina showed us what is possible when you don't suffer any major or season-ending injuries to any of your core players. Geno knows exactly what he needs to do, he just needs the players to do it with. ;)

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It's early but LSU/UCONN look like the top 2 in preseason, though I'd probably still rank UCONN ahead of LSU assuming Bueckers returns to freshman form and Fudd is healthy and confident. LSU adding in Hailey Van Lith moves them from being likely #2 to in contention for #2. Both teams have some potential log jams in the backcourt/wings and not much proven depth up front but they look like the clear #1/#2 going into next year.

I'm surprised people are as high on UCLA. They are young and talented, plus getting Betts is huge, but I wouldn't rank them ahead of Indiana/SC/Virginia Tech at this point. Osborne is a wild card in that she can light teams up but can also shoot her team out of games. Shot selection and decision making aren't strengths of hers. Rice has great potential as a PG, but last year she was not a strong distributor which UCLA will need to get to the next level. Betts is a big addition but she's also young and relatively unproven. Close is a great recruiter but not a top tier coach based on results. I think they're in the 8-12 range, but #4 is a stretch.

Comparatively, Indiana returns everyone but Berger from a squad that was #2 all year despite an early loss in the tournament. SC may be the most athletic team in the country next year and their roster is well constructed with Johnson/Pao Pao in the backcourt, Hall on the wing, athletic 4s in Watkins/Feagin and a potential 1st Team All American center in Cardoso. If they land Morrow, they catapult up to #3 in my opinion. Virginia Tech loses some complimentary players but returns their top 2 from a Final Four run, plus have King back and some quality role players returning. All 3 of these programs have top level coaches too. I'd bet on all 3 being ranked ahead of UCLA for most of the year.

Going deeper, Maryland/Stanford are low at 16/17. Stanford has one of the best players in the country in Brink and decent support players even if they aren't elite. Maryland too has a nice roster makeup and a good addition in Brown Turner. Frese/Tara are 2 of the best coaches in the country too and have consistent results. I'm not seeing how either program is eclipsed by Louisville who is a hodge podge of good but not great transfers plus 1 role player back. Or by Tennessee/Baylor who borderline top 25 programs most of the year and neither appear to be well coached. A lot of times these polls underestimate the value of coaching and simply look at talent on paper, and with that said, I think both MD/Stanford will be top 10 by middle of next year.

Reaction Score
2 reasons why UConn isn't #1 are:

1. UConn's unproven players
2. Can Geno be out-coached?
I mean UCONN has a nice core returning between Fudd, Paige, Muhl, Edwards, Griffin and Ducharme, along with some talented freshmen. Freshmen may be unproven but extremely talented. The other returning players are all excellent

Can Geno be out coached? Sure any coach in America can be and has been at some point. But that is not UCONN's issue. IF UCONN can stay healthy (honestly the only legit concern you could have about them) they will be back in the final four contending for another national title like Geno has done pretty much every year under his tenure.

Personally I laugh at these polls every year and take it with a grain of salt. The portal season isn't over. Besides, injuries can derail a lot of things over the course of a season. You also don't need to be the most talented team top to bottom to win it. LSU was the third most talented team in their own conference last season (Behind SC and TN) but got hot at the right time, stayed healthy and had some great matchups during their tourney run.

Idk who should be #1 or not but its irrelevant to me. I do think you have a core of teams (UCONN, LSU, Iowa, UCLA, VT, Utah, Indiana, SC) who will all be very talented and dangerous.

Reaction Score
I like UConn not being considered the number one preseason team........who needs those expectations..........we all know how good the team will be if Paige, Azzi and Aaliyah can remain healthy throughout the season...........add the returning vets, the baby bigs up front and the athletic rookies and that's quite a formidable outfit.........the bottom line is I still like their chances.........

Reaction Score
The answer to virtually every single question relating to next season depends on the health of the players. Ranking, starters, rotations, offense, defense, style of play….all will depend on how healthy and potentially effective this Uber-talented roster is. Geno and the rest of the staff must be absolutely drooling over the possibilities for this group of players! I know I am!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom