LOVE Oregons offense! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

LOVE Oregons offense!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
If I can have one or another I would choose championships in front of 100 fans...I dont need to see a rabid fanbase to get excited about UConn FB again, I need games when I pull in to tailgate thinking 'we could win this one'.

Missing the point. The question isn't "would you rather watch an exciting team...or a team that wins games?". The question IS....would you rather win games with a boring offense...or win games with an exciting offense?".

No one on here is saying sacrifice wins for excitement. Just that you can get wins in many ways....and with where football is evolving....putting up points is valued by both fans and recruits. So lets play a style that puts up points AND wins.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Missing the point. The question isn't "would you rather watch an exciting team...or a team that wins games?". The question IS....would you rather win games with a boring offense...or win games with an exciting offense?".

No one on here is saying sacrifice wins for excitement. Just that you can get wins in many ways....and with where football is evolving....putting up points is valued by both fans and recruits. So lets play a style that puts up points AND wins.

thats all well and good if you believe we can accomplish two things - I am focusing on accomplishing one thing right now! :)

I dont care how we win - just win. I dont need watch 50+ points on the board to be excited - I can be excited with a 10-9 victory...and these teams that like to put up the numbers seem to lack defense when needed - TCU and Baylor as examples...

Reaction Score
ShakyTheMohel said:
The question IS....would you rather win games with a boring offense...or win games with an exciting offense?"

Is this an actual question? Seems like a rhetorical question to me.

Reaction Score
ShakyTheMohel said:
The question IS....would you rather win games with a boring offense...or win games with an exciting offense?"

Is this an actual question? Seems like a rhetorical question to me.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
thats all well and good if you believe we can accomplish two things - I am focusing on accomplishing one thing right now! :)

I dont care how we win - just win. I dont need watch 50+ points on the board to be excited - I can be excited with a 10-9 victory...and these teams that like to put up the numbers seem to lack defense when needed - TCU and Baylor as examples...

I appreciate that....and in the past I was on the same page as you.

I think the difference is that you are just thinking about your needs...not the greater good for the school. You may be happy with winning 10-9 in front of 20,000 fans, but that isn't going to attract recruits or fans. UConn needs desperately to get into a real conference. Without fan support....that is going to be very hard. WM has spoken about the importance of fan support in conference affiliation. It will be a lot easier getting fan support with an exciting product on the field. You may find 10-9 exciting...the casual fan doesn't. UConn needs the casual fan....they already have you.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I appreciate that....and in the past I was on the same page as you.

I think the difference is that you are just thinking about your needs...not the greater good for the school. You may be happy with winning 10-9 in front of 20,000 fans, but that isn't going to attract recruits or fans. UConn needs desperately to get into a real conference. Without fan support....that is going to be very hard. WM has spoken about the importance of fan support in conference affiliation. It will be a lot easier getting fan support with an exciting product on the field. You may find 10-9 exciting...the casual fan doesn't. UConn needs the casual fan....they already have you.

I see your point about the 'product', I do...with that said, and we will never know; we win every game 10-9 and go 12-0 and to a final 8 game (future thinking) there will be plenty of fans and recruits alike - we win 55-49 and lose 63-44, 51-38, 44-31 and go 2-10 we aint seeing a change, IMO.

Reaction Score
It is an actual question...Bonehead says he doesn't care....I think we should care.
Winning trumps anything. And while we should care, there was a full stadium when LSU beat Alabama 6-3, because they were undefeated and both ranked in the top 5. Trust me if we are 11-0 and in the top 5 nobody will care if we win 6-3.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Winning trumps anything. And while we should care, there was a full stadium when LSU beat Alabama 6-3, because they were undefeated and both ranked in the top 5. Trust me if we are 11-0 and in the top 5 nobody will care if we win 6-3.

tdhusky will...

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score

Well...first of all...UConn could be 11-0 and they won't be in the top 5. My guess they would be like Marshall last year...maybe in top 20. And...do you really want to use LSU and Alabama as an example of filing the stadium with a boring game? They fill the stadium when they suck...it isn't exactly the same situation at the Rent. Completely different situation

I am on board with the statement that if UConn goes 11-0...I don't care how they got there. Here is the deal though....they have never gone 11-0 and they probably won't in the near future. The near future is important to long term stability. More likely....UConn will go 7-5....8-4 in a good year. I think we would all sign up for that record next year. I still say there is a big impact to fan support if UConn goes 7-5 playing a high scoring offense versus going 7-5 playing low scoring games.

Reaction Score
Well...first of all...UConn could be 11-0 and they won't be in the top 5. My guess they would be like Marshall last year...maybe in top 20. And...do you really want to use LSU and Alabama as an example of filing the stadium with a boring game? They fill the stadium when they suck...it isn't exactly the same situation at the Rent. Completely different situation

I am on board with the statement that if UConn goes 11-0...I don't care how they got there. Here is the deal though....they have never gone 11-0 and they probably won't in the near future. The near future is important to long term stability. More likely....UConn will go 7-5....8-4 in a good year. I think we would all sign up for that record next year. I still say there is a big impact to fan support if UConn goes 7-5 playing a high scoring offense versus going 7-5 playing low scoring games.

If we are 7-5 the HOW matters a lot.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Worrying about where UConn would be ranked if they were 11-0 is sort of like worrying about what position I'm going to use first when Jennifer Lawrence spends a weekend in the Hamptons with me next summer.

It's the sort of bridge you can cross when you get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom