Love / Hate For UConn vs BC @ Fenway.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Love / Hate For UConn vs BC @ Fenway....

Reaction Score
$ was a wash. Benedict decided the added publicity of playing at Fenway and ticket allotment/distribution was worth losing PAWSARF home-field advantage.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I don't believe that to be true... the guaranteed payment of $1.125 by the Fenway Group is all in.

The is also an expense offset of not paying the game day lease/parking cost for Rentschler to CRDC/OPM.
Ah thanks

Reaction Score
I hate everything about this game. I'll be watching from the warmth of my living room with some tasty craft beers and if it gets ugly, bourbon.

That said, I get why they did it. It makes sense. I'm just done spending my money chasing the P5 dream.

Reaction Score
Fenway hotels, looking to stay overnight outside of Boston close to the T, any recommendations?

Reaction Score
I hate everything about this game. I'll be watching from the warmth of my living room with some tasty craft beers and if it gets ugly, bourbon.

That said, I get why they did it. It makes sense. I'm just done spending my money chasing the P5 dream.

7ed781fdba45276602940a5596dfef68.gif

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I did the math last year - we would have to sell out the Rent to get the $1.2 m after expenses, etc and that was being optimistic. Being the home team in Boston against BC will help us with the 'narrative' while picking up much needed cash and a TV game. Having Yawkey Way as the home base will help as well since there virtually is no tailgating in the area. Except for the inconvenience of driving to Boston and paying more for tickets- this is a huge win for UCONN. If we win the game, it will be a huge huge win.

Reaction Score
I did the math last year - we would have to sell out the Rent to get the $1.2 m after expenses, etc and that was being optimistic. Being the home team in Boston against BC will help us with the 'narrative' while picking up much needed cash and a TV game. Having Yawkey Way as the home base will help as well since there virtually is no tailgating in the area. Except for the inconvenience of driving to Boston and paying more for tickets- this is a huge win for UCONN. If we win the game, it will be a huge huge win.

Just out of curiousity, how did you calculate expenses? Did you account for all the overtime East Hartford police working the job, all parking and stadium staff?

Also, a sell out isn't easy to calculate on an "average ticket price" calculation. You have 3500-4000 student tickets that are discounted, a section filled by the band unpaid and all the comp tickets given out. I don't see in any possible situation a game at the PAWSARF in its current capacity that ever clears $1 million profit after all expenses are paid out, this Fenway deal is an absolute home run no matter what way you slice it.

Reaction Score
Why do people think this game will give us exposure? Boston is a sports town and doesn't care about college sports, that has been posted on here many many times. This game won't change that.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The calculation is weird- you have season tickets with deposits. You have game day sales, discounted tickets(club room packages, etc). SO all that plus the game day expenses and then add in a whatever UCONN gets on parking and concessions - it is nuts. Bottom line, the Fenway deal is a no brainer.

Reaction Score
The calculation is weird- you have season tickets with deposits. You have game day sales, discounted tickets(club room packages, etc). SO all that plus the game day expenses and then add in a whatever UCONN gets on parking and concessions - it is nuts. Bottom line, the Fenway deal is a no brainer.

UConn gets nothing (zero $$) on parking or concessions.

Reaction Score
It certainly is a no brainer - just not the way you think. 1.2 million is realistic take for a home game based on 30,000 at $40 per.
What is not realistic is thinking that exposure on the back page of the Globe is going to do us any good. Nobody in Boston gives a damn about BC never mind us. Paying almost double for tickets to watch a mid November game at night in a baseball stadium sure is an attraction. Thanks for nothing Dave!

Reaction Score
It certainly is a no brainer - just not the way you think. 1.2 million is realistic take for a home game based on 30,000 at $40 per.
What is not realistic is thinking that exposure on the back page of the Globe is going to do us any good. Nobody in Boston gives a damn about BC never mind us. Paying almost double for tickets to watch a mid November game at night in a baseball stadium sure is an attraction. Thanks for nothing Dave!
If you feel the need to thank someone for nothing, there are many better choices than AD Dave!

Reaction Score

What 'narrative' is playing BC in their home city going to help us? It makes it look like a P5 team forced a G5 team to move a game from our home stadium to their backyard.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Fenway hotels, looking to stay overnight outside of Boston close to the T, any recommendations?

Anywhere on the Green Line or with access to the Green Line. Outside Boston you are probably looking in the Newton Center area.

This will help:

Boston Subway/Rail Google Map

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
It gives us a slightly higher profile than a regular home game and we need all the help we can get.

This will be like beating the Soviet hockey team in Moscow.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I'm saying it would be just as much fun as beating the Russians in Moscow, even though BC football is (as you say) a below average P5 team.

Reaction Score
Anywhere on the Green Line or with access to the Green Line. Outside Boston you are probably looking in the Newton Center area.

This will help:

Boston Subway/Rail Google Map

The Commonwealth Hotel is within walking distance of Fenway. If you drive, you can also valet your car there (that's what I do for Sox games).

Reaction Score
Win or lose, it won't matter because the average Boston sports fan won't care.

Playing at Fenway resonates beyond Boston. Last year Tennessee and Va Tech played at Bristol speedway. I would have never paid attention, unless a bottom line told me it was close late in the 4th, to the game but the location garnered some interest. I'm not expecting our game to reach those levels but with marketing it can generate a few extra eyeballs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't have any reason to not trust what Diamond Dave says - but it seems impossible that UConn has sold 15k of their 22k. I have not heard a single person in real life so much as mention this game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom