Lou's low-post game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lou's low-post game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They will go 1,2,3 in the draft. I agree with geno that kls can be better then stewie if she wants too, which is the keyword.
I don't think she is capable of being the defensive player that Stewie was (is) but I think she can be an awesome offensive player and potentially superior to Stewie. We've seen some good signs but there is a long, long, long, way to go!

Reaction Score
Am I missing something?? This spring 2017 draft ---Collier, Katie are sophs next spring 18 they are juniors next spring 19 they will be seniors DRAFT.
I don't like to disagree with the MASTER--but Katie Lou's arms are not as long, she is not as athletic, she's half step slower---no knock on Katie Lou--she'll be fantastic--but no Stewie . I say this as a top level Katie Lou fan--I've believed in her since the day she signed--I wasn't that sure of Stewie (the Genius I am) Katie Lou could go down in UC history as one of the top 4 or 5 and beat Stewie in 3 ball percentages, but not in an all around player --I'm surprised he didn't qualify in the categories she'd excel
I have never felt that Stewie was a high percentage three point shooter. She was decent but her game was inside the three point line, with her length and quickness and versatility. I don't think Stewie is quicker than KLS and if anything, I would have thought Katie was quicker. In any case, there's no way I would ever compare KLS defensively with Stewie who evolved into a tremendous defensive player.

Reaction Score
Sorry. The year was wrong. All three (Azura, KLS and Napheesa) available for draft in 2019.
And Geno might have said that Stevens is going to head it.
Sorry if that came across nit-picking. The question was an honest--what did I miss--so much happens and the Boneyarders are always ahead of the curve--so i usually miss something--many things. I'm pleased that those 3 will be around until spring 2019 thanks..
Are the next three years going to be outstanding///????

Reaction Score
I have never felt that Stewie was a high percentage three point shooter. She was decent but her game was inside the three point line, with her length and quickness and versatility. I don't think Stewie is quicker than KLS and if anything, I would have thought Katie was quicker. In any case, there's no way I would ever compare KLS defensively with Stewie who evolved into a tremendous defensive player.
Not being a STATS person--I have no knowledge of Stewies percentage or KLS's for that matter. I am an "in game' stats type--then they are gone. The thing with Stewie--she had knack of hitting the BIG 3 when needed. Katie Lou will do that too.
Thanks I think we agree on all you posted.

Reaction Score
One area that Samuelson and Stewart as sophomores are similar is in strength and body type. At that stage I believe Stewart was easily knocked off balance in general and had her shot disrupted and altered by body contact. From that point on Stewart made excellent progress in strength and stamina and the results were tremendous. If the coaches have Samuelson on the same program that Stewart was on I would expect similar results that would improve her post up game considerably as well as her mid range shooting. The skills are there if the work ethic is.

Reaction Score
They will go 1,2,3 in the draft. I agree with geno that kls can be better then stewie if she wants too, which is the keyword.

You definitely live in bizarro's world if you think that KLS can be better than Stewie is she wants to. Stewie is considered arguably the best player ever in wcbb, made the first team all WNBA her first year, rank pretty high in WNBA MVP race, etc... I am a huge fan of Lou but no chance that Lou can be better than Stewie, even if she wants to. People have short memory of what Stewie is capable of.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sorry. The year was wrong. All three (Azura, KLS and Napheesa) available for draft in 2019.
And Geno might have said that Stevens is going to head it.
Geno did say that Azura would be the top pick, if she stays. She has 3" on Lou. This could be another 1-2-3 draft.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't think that Lou can be a better overall player than Stewie, but she could be an even better shooter and scorer. As of now, I think she finishes in the top 4 in UConn career scoring, possibly #2. Next year's team will have a ton of firepower. Azura, Lou, Napheesa, Megan, and Crystal could be among the best players in the nation. And Gabby and Kia will still be starters. I like this thought!

Reaction Score
I don't think that Lou can be a better overall player than Stewie, but she could be an even better shooter and scorer. As of now, I think she finishes in the top 4 in UConn career scoring, possibly #2. Next year's team will have a ton of firepower. Azura, Lou, Napheesa, Megan, and Crystal could be among the best players in the nation. And Gabby and Kia will still be starters. I like this thought!
With all that firepower and the way looks and minutes get distributed, KLS may be deprived of a scoring record and have to settle for another NC. Bet she won't mind.

Reaction Score
Next year will come down to whether Gabby or Collier are swapped out for AZ. Walker won't crack the starting line up.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Next year will come down to whether Gabby or Collier are swapped out for AZ. Walker won't crack the starting line up.
I honestly think that Azura and Meg come in off the bench. Gabby and Pheesa will stay as starters in my opinion. Geno will be loyal to them, because they have earned it.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score

whether ?
cannot envision a scenario that Azura will not be a starter / 30+ minute player next year. Her 6'6" size , length, athleticism combo on Defense, Boards alone will add significant upgrade... then U add All - American offensive skill, versatility as well.
young lady will be a serious national POY candidate both years at UConn (if she stays both )

especially with Napheesa & Gabby's capacity to shoot / drive from perimeter / at High post... would like to see Geno run action to Post KLS a few times each game (her height and ability = legit prob for Wing defenders to handle in Post )
i ALSO believe that Kia Nurse could potentially be very effective Posting up opposing Guards with her size, strength , aggressive nature. Can see her drawing a lot of Fouls. would also add to her Offensive esteem / niche.
** MOST Guards are not trained to defend in Post with disciplinecomfortability. very small margin for error in there.

Run them off backscreens, back cuts...into Post for High - Low type entries

Reaction Score
Azura will start - c'mon... And if MW is as good as everyone thinks she is, then she will start before the season is half over (like Crystal Dangerfield this year). KLS will start, so that leaves one more starting slot...

Stevens
Walker
Dangerfield
Samuelson
_________??

Collier? Gabby? Kia? This ain't gonna be easy, possibly not pretty (except for the result).

BTW the idea that Azura will stay for her final year of eligibility is naive. Geno needs to get a 5-star big (or 2) for 2018.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
Azura will start - c'mon... And if MW is as good as everyone thinks she is, then she will start before the season is half over (like Crystal Dangerfield this year). KLS will start, so that leaves one more starting slot...

Stevens
Walker
Dangerfield
Samuelson
_________??

Collier? Gabby? Kia? This ain't gonna be easy, possibly not pretty (except for the result).

BTW the idea that Azura will stay for her final year of eligibility is naive. Geno needs to get a 5-star big (or 2) for 2018.

I can see Geno catering to a Senior Kia Nurse ...starting her over the likes of Walker . esp with her Defensive prowess.
I simply see NO way that Napheesa Collier doesn't continue to start rest of her career at UConn. simply a flat out Impact player on both ends, both backboards and will just keep getting better Offensively. (already a Legit, Versatile )

i can envision Gabby going back to coming off bench

ALSO : Azura Stevens video ( last year )

the clips & Antonelli's commentary say it all about Azura.. add in a year under Geno's tutelage, demanding

Reaction Score
I can see Geno catering to a Senior Kia Nurse ...starting her over the likes of Walker . esp with her Defensive prowess.
I simply see NO way that Napheesa Collier doesn't continue to start rest of her career at UConn. simply a flat out Impact player on both ends, both backboards and will just keep getting better Offensively. (already a Legit, Versatile )

i can envision Gabby going back to coming off bench

ALSO : Azura Stevens video ( last year )

the clips & Antonelli's commentary say it all about Azura.. add in a year under Geno's tutelage, demanding
So Stevens, Samuelson, Collier, Dangerfield, and Nurse, with Walker and Williams coming off the bench? Sold. Now on to 2018-19.

Reaction Score
One area that Samuelson and Stewart as sophomores are similar is in strength and body type. At that stage I believe Stewart was easily knocked off balance in general and had her shot disrupted and altered by body contact. From that point on Stewart made excellent progress in strength and stamina and the results were tremendous. If the coaches have Samuelson on the same program that Stewart was on I would expect similar results that would improve her post up game considerably as well as her mid range shooting. The skills are there if the work ethic is.

Stewie--Stewart--wasn't so easily knocked off her shooting-- Since she had little knowledge of big time Div 1 bb she was offended, insulted, and thrown off her GAME by the bumping, shoving, knocking, etc it got into her head. Took most of the year to fix that. AS A FRESHMAN IN THE FINAL GAME she took over that game--hit long range 3 after 3, rebounded --and the STEWiE we know was BORN. Katie Lou is a Sophomore, not a freshman.
If you watched Katie lou in her last 8 or 10 games--you saw WORK ETHIC, dedication. What else can you call a kid playing with a broken foot. This year she runs --like a bunny on steroids--a constant running bunny--everything she does or has done is improved.s
My brother and I have the same body style, same weight, same height---yet physically, he does things I CANT(or wont) do. Since day one KLS has had the sweetest most accurate jumper from the right of the key--that is developed. She has dropped running jumpers, she attacks-- Don't take every word Geno says about a player as gospel --it's either a zinger of a pat on the head --to motivate.-or just anger.
Point is---Katie Lou is a perfect Katie lou--she shall never be Stewie--NEVER!! In some area's she'll exceed Stewie, in others those will be Stewie's alone. We really need to stop the Stew comparison--so should Geno--she won't ever be Stewart..
I believe in Katie Lou--The Queen is Gone --long live the new QueenS (KLS, Collier, Gabby, Dangerfield,).
Have a really nice and filling Thanksgiving---with the current success of UCWBB we have a lot to be thankful for..

Reaction Score
So Stevens, Samuelson, Collier, Dangerfield, and Nurse, with Walker and Williams coming off the bench? Sold. Now on to 2018-19.

Whew!!!! This season is only starting--undefined--undetermined--potential for success or failure --and we have discussions NOW about the starting 5 for next year/?/?????????????? Whew!! Has the starting 5 for 2016/17 been established--did i miss that memo..???

Reaction Score
Whew!!!! This season is only starting--undefined--undetermined--potential for success or failure --and we have discussions NOW about the starting 5 for next year/?/?????????????? Whew!! Has the starting 5 for 2016/17 been established--did i miss that memo..???
Something I tried to point out a few weeks back and this season had not yet started. We have a 10 player roster this year and three of those are freshman. We're off to a great start, have a tough OOC stretch still to navigate. Then the AAC and post season where we hope to advance to another final four and who knows. Yes we only lose Chong and Lawlor. We then activate two transfers and bring in a 4 player freshman class headed by Walker. So for a very rare time, unless something unexpected develops, there will be a 14 player roster. Minutes will be at a premium for everyone. How deep is that bench. Not for today's chat but it will be interesting the starters and the rotation with that crowd.

Reaction Score
Stewie is a great player but imo maya is the greatest wbb player of all time. Lets not forget that stewie had lots of help to win 4 straight NCs, she played with the best shooter in kml and one of the best shot blockers and rebounders to ever play for uconn in kia stokes. KLS is a better shooter then stewie and handles the ball much better and she sees the floor much better then stewie. You can't compare stewies last couple years to kls freshman season. Imo kls is going to pass stewie in scoring before she is done at uconn. This season kls is the superstar and will carry the load to how far this team goes in the ncaa tournament as there are no seniors to help her like stewie had her first 3yrs.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Am I missing something?? This spring 2017 draft ---Collier, Katie are sophs next spring 18 they are juniors next spring 19 they will be seniors DRAFT.
I don't like to disagree with the MASTER--but Katie Lou's arms are not as long, she is not as athletic, she's half step slower---no knock on Katie Lou--she'll be fantastic--but no Stewie . I say this as a top level Katie Lou fan--I've believed in her since the day she signed--I wasn't that sure of Stewie (the Genius I am) Katie Lou could go down in UC history as one of the top 4 or 5 and beat Stewie in 3 ball percentages, but not in an all around player --I'm surprised he didn't qualify in the categories she'd excel

How would they do going one on one to 10. Would luv to see it!

Reaction Score
Imo kls is going to pass stewie in scoring before she is done at uconn. This season kls is the superstar and will carry the load to how far this team goes in the ncaa tournament as there are no seniors to help her like stewie had her first 3yrs.

We are going to have 14 players next season. This may cut into KLS's playing time and make her surpass Stewie harder.

Reaction Score
Stewie is a great player but imo maya is the greatest wbb player of all time. Lets not forget that stewie had lots of help to win 4 straight NCs, she played with the best shooter in kml and one of the best shot blockers and rebounders to ever play for uconn in kia stokes. KLS is a better shooter then stewie and handles the ball much better and she sees the floor much better then stewie. You can't compare stewies last couple years to kls freshman season. Imo kls is going to pass stewie in scoring before she is done at uconn. This season kls is the superstar and will carry the load to how far this team goes in the ncaa tournament as there are no seniors to help her like stewie had her first 3yrs.

I don't want to get into "best UCONN player ever" - that isn't the subject of the thread. But are you suggesting that Lou is "right there" with BS comparing soph vs soph?

I've been a huge supporter of Lou to start. I've mentioned from the beginning there should be no fear from us UCONN fans to watch her shoot and shoot but you realize after over a year she doesn't bring much defensively, right?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How would they do going one on one to 10. Would luv to see it!
At this point in their careers-- I have no crystal ball, but seeing each play--without a REF--one on one--Stewie in a 20 point game
counting 3's as 2, ----it's Stewie. I am a huge KatieLOU fan--she is great will be greater--Stewie may be Uconn's greatest--I'm not her greatest fan---I just can't see KLS stopping Stew--I'd love to be WRONG!!! I'd pay to see that match up--it would be fun to see..

Reaction Score
I don't want to get into "best UCONN player ever" - that isn't the subject of the thread. But are you suggesting that Lou is "right there" with BS comparing soph vs soph?

I've been a huge supporter of Lou to start. I've mentioned from the beginning there should be no fear from us UCONN fans to watch her shoot and shoot but you realize after over a year she doesn't bring much defensively, right?

Katie lou ---I'm as supporter/fan of her since she signed the letter of intent! She will never leap up above a offensive player and swat the ball to mid court ot take it away--her arms are shorter--her leap is close to the same height as Stew. She does defend. She a pretty good defender.
She cover lots of territory in defense. Her Forte at this point is all around scoring and leading the team. She is after all a new Soph--who was not allowed much freedom last year so she comes in this year a bit behind the curve. Stewie as a Frosh got exposure early sat and then played at a high level. KLs i's extremely talented, and really intelligent with a high level of BB IQ---every thing she is about to do will amaze and please you.
I said that about Collier and Dangerfield before the Season started---an the nit-pickers went wild.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love KLS and think she'll finish on the wall with at least 2 AA to her name but to compare her to Stewie is not fair to her. They are different players in style and skills. Stewie is a freak of nature physically (in the best way possible) with her long arms, mobility and athleticism. KLS is out of this world shooter and is better ball handler and passer than Stewie but is not in the same area code as an athlete and as such can't do the things that Stewie did on defense and on put backs. KLS is helping her self with diversifying her offensive game and by that she'll be able to score basically against any team and I do see her finishing as one of the top scores in UConn history!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog