Lou's low-post game | The Boneyard

Lou's low-post game

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Very nice to see a much better flow on offense last night vs Dayton. Better movement, lots of assists, Danger dropping dimes on the break, Gabby everywhere (except on the bench in foul trouble), Kia eventually finding her stroke, better job on the boards, etc. Still room for improvement but good to see progress.

Most impressive of all was Lou's emerging game in the low-post. Obviously, she has been working on her moves in the paint. We all knew that Lou can light it up from beyond the arc. Other teams know that too, so they are assigning their best defensive wings to blanket Lou all over the court. At 6'3", with the ability to hit the 3, put the ball on the floor and use either hand, Lou is a match-up nightmare for most wings.

More than simply flashing into the post a few times, last night vs Dayton, Lou's low-post presence appeared to me to be a strategic part of the game plan by Geno & his staff. I believe she was 6-9 inside the arc with several trips to the foul line including a couple "and ones." There was one play in the 1st half where Lou flashed into the post, held her defender off with her right arm, received a perfect entry pass with her left hand, turned, scored and was fouled. I had a flashback to Kevin McHale of the Boston Celtics who I consider to be the best low-post player ever IMHO.

With her deadly shooting ability from beyond the arc and her new found post up ability, Lou will be a big time scorer this year. It's going to be a lot of fun to watch.

Reaction Score
From the Bronx perspective, I expressed last year that she reminded me of one of my all time favorites Dave Debusschere. This year I think she is confirming that, a solid power forward in the post, with an all-net jumper - especially when set and open.

Reaction Score
I posted on the game thread how CD (in her post game radio interview) said she is going to show Lou tapes of Richard Hamilton, whom CD considers most effective at moving without the ball. That's in addition to what you write above about her low post play. Clearly, in letting Lou have long minutes in games already decided, they're looking to build her game stamina and capacity to routinely score in the high 20s. If she manages to be that kind of player, it opens everything up underneath for Gabby and Pheesa as well.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I posted on the game thread how CD (in her post game radio interview) said she is going to show Lou tapes of Richard Hamilton, whom CD considers most effective at moving without the ball. That's in addition to what you write above about her low post play. Clearly, in letting Lou have long minutes in games already decided, they're looking to build her game stamina and capacity to routinely score in the high 20s. If she manages to be that kind of player, it opens everything up underneath for Gabby and Pheesa as well.

Routinely? Seriously? If she does that, she will easily be the best scorer in UConn history, surpassing Maya and KML.

I would say that UConn will be extremely difficult to beat if she averages in the high teens, with some 30-point games and some single-digit games. With other capable scorers on the floor, it makes sense not to focus the offense too much around Lou. It's enough that she glues one good defender to her, and thereby makes it hard for defenses to provide help when Gabby or Crystal gets past their defender.

Reaction Score
I take your point, JoePgh. When I said "routinely" I didn't mean that she would average in the high 20s. But rather, that she could do it when she needs to, which means that it wouldn't be exceptional and something the team could count on when it was necessary: that's another way of using "routinely"--that it wouldn't be shocking and truly exceptional. Pretty much as you describe above.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno has always preferred to run a motion offense where everyone can score and anyone can emerge as the high scorer in any particular game. With that said, there have been times in the past when Uconn ran their offense primarily through one player, especially in big games. This was frequently the case when DT & Maya played. At times, they would bring up the ball, take the majority of shots and often post up smaller opposing guards/wings. While Geno would clearly prefer a balanced offense, I believe he is flirting with the possibility of focusing the offense on Lou during big games.

Reaction Score
Dayton was a dangerous team. One Big--but dangerous. Leaving Katie lou in the game--(up to the 6 minute mark of the 4th quarter when the bench played fully) was effective in holding off any real attempts by Dayton. Katie was doing more of the down low intimidation of the driving attack from the Flyers.
Richard Hamilton--the pride of Coatesville, pa--his daddy was a terrific player--RiP was his daddies nick name first. Kate could do much worse than by modeling Hamilton. The Duke killer.\
If she shows 20's most games the defense of most teams will be focusing on her--enabling Gabby, kia, Naphees to do their thing.

Reaction Score
Geno has always preferred to run a motion offense where everyone can score and anyone can emerge as the high scorer in any particular game. With that said, there have been times in the past when Uconn ran their offense primarily through one player, especially in big games. This was frequently the case when DT & Maya played. At times, they would bring up the ball, take the majority of shots and often post up smaller opposing guards/wings. While Geno would clearly prefer a balanced offense, I believe he is flirting with the possibility of focusing the offense on Lou during big games.
Great post. thanks!

Reaction Score
How can Lou develop her "all around" game? Become a big time scorer, get double teamed regularly, and then become a superior passer. With her height, BBIQ, and two great hands, she has all the tools. Did you see her-- lift for a jump shot and then a quick pass to Collier down low?
IMHO Geno wants every team to be very aware of Lou and that opens it up for the other 4 scorers. By the way, Lou can shoot from so far out and she is driving to the hoop so much better that she can create her own shot when she wants. 6'3" helps greatly.
As we all know (just like Stewie) if a smaller player covers Lou she takes them down low (or shoots) and if a big comes out Lou shoots or drives by. Notice I said shoot in every situation.
Lou runs the floor smoothly and is showing her leadership clearly. She is AA in the making before our eyes. I am enjoying every minute.

Reaction Score
I take your point, JoePgh. When I said "routinely" I didn't mean that she would average in the high 20s. But rather, that she could do it when she needs to, which means that it wouldn't be exceptional and something the team could count on when it was necessary: that's another way of using "routinely"--that it wouldn't be shocking and truly exceptional. Pretty much as you describe above.
It would shock me if Kate Lou did not score in the 20's more often than not. She has the eye, the movement, and the attitude to do it--with more experience in being the focus of the defense, scoring 20 (in the normally understood) routinely is probable/possible-not a guarantee.

Reaction Score
Broadway, you took the words right out of my mouth. Happy Thanksgiving to all!
You are always more than kind. I miss your posting. Thank you and a very happy and filling holiday to you and yours. Thank you.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Applying the KISS Rule, UConn game plan: Make sure that Katie Lou takes 20+ shots per game. If some are 3's, plus free throws, that's a ot of points!:)

Reaction Score
I read somewhere (Boneyard?) that Geno has said that Azura Stevens would be the number 1 draft pick in 2018.
If this is true, what pick will KLS be? And Napheesa too.

Reaction Score
How can Lou develop her "all around" game? Become a big time scorer, get double teamed regularly, and then become a superior passer. With her height, BBIQ, and two great hands, she has all the tools. Did you see her-- lift for a jump shot and then a quick pass to Collier down low?
IMHO Geno wants every team to be very aware of Lou and that opens it up for the other 4 scorers. By the way, Lou can shoot from so far out and she is driving to the hoop so much better that she can create her own shot when she wants. 6'3" helps greatly.
As we all know (just like Stewie) if a smaller player covers Lou she takes them down low (or shoots) and if a big comes out Lou shoots or drives by. Notice I said shoot in every situation.
Lou runs the floor smoothly and is showing her leadership clearly. She is AA in the making before our eyes. I am enjoying every minute.

Coach---1. My favorite play of the game--best part Collier was ready and made it --roommates know each other. 2. I like shoot , shoot , shoot
3. I only wish I had posted this--very insightful.. 4. I too enjoyed every minute.

Reaction Score
I read somewhere (Boneyard?) that Geno has said that Azura Stevens would be the number 1 draft pick in 2018.
If this is true, what pick will KLS be? And Napheesa too.
They will go 1,2,3 in the draft. I agree with geno that kls can be better then stewie if she wants too, which is the keyword.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I listened to Geno's show Monday night, and he said the team would look totally different then when they played LSU. UConn really looked good last night. Lou is really becoming an all around player, she can hit 3's and take you inside too. Teams are going to have problems with UConn this season, because any of the players can score, and have an outstanding game. It's like domino's, when one player get hot, another player get hot and then another. This is going to be a fun and amazing season, and I am enjoying the ride.

Reaction Score
They will go 1,2,3 in the draft. I agree with geno that kls can be better then stewie if she wants too, which is the keyword.
Am I missing something?? This spring 2017 draft ---Collier, Katie are sophs next spring 18 they are juniors next spring 19 they will be seniors DRAFT.
I don't like to disagree with the MASTER--but Katie Lou's arms are not as long, she is not as athletic, she's half step slower---no knock on Katie Lou--she'll be fantastic--but no Stewie . I say this as a top level Katie Lou fan--I've believed in her since the day she signed--I wasn't that sure of Stewie (the Genius I am) Katie Lou could go down in UC history as one of the top 4 or 5 and beat Stewie in 3 ball percentages, but not in an all around player --I'm surprised he didn't qualify in the categories she'd excel

Reaction Score
I listened to Geno's show Monday night, and he said the team would look totally different then when they played LSU. UConn really looked good last night. Lou is really becoming an all around player, she can hit 3's and take you inside too. Teams are going to have problems with UConn this season, because any of the players can score, and have an outstanding game. It's like domino's, when one player get hot, another player get hot and then another. This is going to be a fun and amazing season, and I am enjoying the ride.
Nice analysis Shorty----I think in many OOC games 4 of these ladies must score in double figures in all of those games to come out winners. Your point of this team excels when one of the starts scoring--and they get infected. \ It sure has been fun so far--and the potential to be better is extremely high---Hang on the ride could be bumpy/but fun

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Nice analysis Shorty----I think in many OOC games 4 of these ladies must score in double figures in all of those games to come out winners. Your point of this team excels when one of the starts scoring--and they get infected. \ It sure has been fun so far--and the potential to be better is extremely high---Hang on the ride could be bumpy/but fun

Thanks Broadway!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What I am waiting to see in this offense is some of the sets they ran for Stewart and before her Maya - the curl off the screen at about 15-18 feet in the middle of the floor with the rise and fire jumper. Lou has that in her arsenal, Uconn has it in their playbook, time to get it dusted off. With her height, quickness, and high release point she can be as deadly as the other two were, and as unguardable.

Reaction Score
Am I missing something?? This spring 2017 draft ---Collier, Katie are sophs next spring 18 they are juniors next spring 19 they will be seniors DRAFT.
I don't like to disagree with the MASTER--but Katie Lou's arms are not as long, she is not as athletic, she's half step slower---no knock on Katie Lou--she'll be fantastic--but no Stewie . I say this as a top level Katie Lou fan--I've believed in her since the day she signed--I wasn't that sure of Stewie (the Genius I am) Katie Lou could go down in UC history as one of the top 4 or 5 and beat Stewie in 3 ball percentages, but not in an all around player --I'm surprised he didn't qualify in the categories she'd excel

Sorry. The year was wrong. All three (Azura, KLS and Napheesa) available for draft in 2019.
And Geno might have said that Stevens is going to head it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom