Lou's Journey towards Mt Rushmore | The Boneyard

Lou's Journey towards Mt Rushmore

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the enjoyable threads on the BY that pops up from time to time is to name the 4 UConn greats that comprise UConn’s Mt Rushmore of WBB. While 3 of the 4 are literally written in stone (DT, Maya, Stewie), the 4th member of that esteemed group is subject to considerable debate given all the many great WBB players that have played at UConn. While I would never be so presumptuous as to suggest that Lou, a little over 2 years into her career at UConn, should be considered as the 4th member of UConn’s Mt Rushmore, what I will say is that in 2+ seasons Lou’s development as a basketball player has been tremendous, particularly when you consider that she started out as the #1 recruit in the nation.

It’s been pointed out by countless analysts that Lou came to Storrs as a great shooter. I think that sells Lou a little short. She was also a very good passer with a keen sense of court awareness when she first arrived at Storrs. But from that point on she has developed into a complete basketball player. She is clearly a great scorer now. She could always shoot, but now she can take the ball to the basket and she has developed an array of post-up moves. Unlike many great scorers who have tunnel vision much of the time, Lou is always aware of where her teammates are on the floor, and she is one of the best passers in WBB, as demonstrated by her 9 assists in the game vs ECU yesterday.

This season, Lou has taken yet another step in the process on the defensive end. While Lou is not the quickest defender, once again her court awareness, anticipation and a growing tenacity on defense has made her a very good defender. Among her many talents, Lou probably leads the Huskies in taking charges. She has also become a much better rebounder at both ends of the court, anticipating misses and fighting for position underneath. Yes! It’s a fact. UConn has the rebounding Samuelson.

Then there are the intangibles. Lou is one of the smartest basketball players I’ve seen. Her movement on the court without the ball is a thing of beauty. Try to overplay her at the arc and she’ll make a hard cut behind a defender to the basket. Unlike some 3-pt shooters, Lou doesn’t have a preferred spot on the floor. She’ll keep moving until she finds the gap in an opponent’s perimeter defense and knock down the shot from wherever that may be.

Lou’s toughness has been something of a revelation. She’s played when she was sick, and she’s played when she was hurt. The book on defending Lou is to get physical with her. She has taken as much physical punishment as just about any player in WBB in the past two seasons, and she never backs down. On a team full of highly motivated young ladies, Lou has clearly become one of the leaders on this team.

The one thing I enjoy most about Lou is the absolute joy she displays while playing the game she loves. Whether she’s letting out a primal scream after scoring while being fouled, cheering on a teammate or flashing her infectious smile, Lou reminds us all of something too easily forgotten, that sports should be fun.

The most compelling argument for how good a basketball player Lou has become is apparent in the way Geno talks about her. The little digs about her defense and rebounding are gone. When asked yesterday what happened to UConn’s offense during a less than stellar second qtr vs ECU, Geno simply responded, “Lou wasn’t in the game.” Geno treats Lou with a level of respect typically reserved for a senior. If Lou stays healthy (hate to even bring that up), continues to get even better, makes a couple more AA teams and helps the Huskies raise two more banners at Gampel she will undoubtedly place herself in the discussion for that coveted 4th spot in the rarified air at UConn WBB’s Mt Rushmore.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I pay a lot of attention to her on the court, and you clearly do as well. Really nothing to add!

nailed.jpg

Reaction Score
Beautifully written and very descriptive, as well as just on target.
Lou's development is quite unusual. To go from a #1 ranked HS player to all AA by her sophomore year is pretty impressive in and of itself.
After the very difficult and painful loss last year to MS she obviously committed herself to signigicantly improve her two weakest areas, which were rebounding and defense. I wouldn't quite say they are equal strengths to her shooting and passing but they now are way above average. She still has two plus years and to be honest I'm not sure how much further she can and will go, but it will surprise most of us.
Her emotional makeup from leaving home in Ca and choosing U Conn, when she very naturally could have gone to Stanford speaks volumes. As you said her playing through illness and injury are amazing virtues, which attest to how much she wants to be on the court and play. When she has been hurt, out or missed being able to play when she went home, you see no evidence of sulking i or feeling bad for herself, is a quality most of us, in any field, should strive for.
She doesn't resemble the great player who got here and from what I've seen I don't think who she becomes by the time she graduates is even knowable.
I love watching her play and the manner in which she comports herself, and will really miss her when she's graduated U Coon and on to even greater things.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
The one thing I enjoy most about Lou is the absolute joy she displays while playing the game she loves. Whether she’s letting out a primal scream after scoring while being fouled, cheering on a teammate or flashing her infectious smile, Lou reminds us all of something too easily forgotten, that sports should be fun.

With all her skills, she's still the kid out back begging her sisters to let her play, putting up hundreds of shots a day to make herself a better shooter and maybe most telling, willing to leave her family (and wonderful weather!!!) to go to the one place that will bring out every ounce of her talent. My three favorite Lou moments - the barf bucket game; her world class shiner; and the "Jordan shrug" after nailing her 10th 3 in a row.

Reaction Score
She has taken as much physical punishment as just about any player in WBB in the past two seasons, and she never backs down. On a team full of highly motivated young ladies, Lou has clearly become one of the leaders on this team.

So true...

1. He infectious smile goes all the way back when she was the tiny one of the 3 Samuelson sisters.

2. Her two older sisters made her tough by never going easy on Lou from the beginning of their backyard seasons.

3. Lou showed her toughness by choosing UCONN, better for her breakdown into a complete player rather than taking the comfortable choice and playing with her sisters at Stanford with Tara. Big, tough decision back there, especially tough inside a Connecticut winter when from sunny CA.

The evidence was in front of our cold noses.

UConn-Stanford? It Would Have Nothing on This Sibling Rivalry

Katie Lou Samuelson Feature

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maya Moore had the best basketball instincts I ever saw, Larry Bird like.
Having said that, this post sums up what is very apparent. Katie Lou has upped her game in every area.
Her effort on the defensive end is unbelievable.
Kudos to her.

Reaction Score
After Geno's comment, I began thinking along somewhat the same lines, oldude, though not nearly as articulately or fully as you.

Lou is amazing, and improving all the time. But I don't think she quite deserves to be on Mt Rushmore. That's D, Maya, and Stewie territory, and Lou just doesn't get up there, IMHO. Even when her 3s are dropping like spring rain, she just can't take over a game quite as completely as they did.

You highlight Lou's leadership skills, which are manifested by her stellar ability to take charges and by her emotional displays. But there's another skill that I think Geno meant most: Lou has fantastic court sense (to distinguish it from my2cents's judgment, which I agree with, about Maya's supernal basketball instincts). She moves constantly, and keeps the flow moving for all 5 players. That's really what question Geno was answering: why was the UConn offense so listless. Because everyone was sort of standing around without Lou's motion, creativity, and constant thread to pop a couple of 3s in a row. She is the straw that stirs the drink. But in 2 years, when Geno gives her more freedom, Meg could well be the drink.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
After Geno's comment, I began thinking along somewhat the same lines, oldude, though not nearly as articulately or fully as you.

Lou is amazing, and improving all the time. But I don't think she quite deserves to be on Mt Rushmore. That's D, Maya, and Stewie territory, and Lou just doesn't get up there, IMHO. Even when her 3s are dropping like spring rain, she just can't take over a game quite as completely as they did.

You highlight Lou's leadership skills, which are manifested by her stellar ability to take charges and by her emotional displays. But there's another skill that I think Geno meant most: Lou has fantastic court sense (to distinguish it from my2cents's judgment, which I agree with, about Maya's supernal basketball instincts). She moves constantly, and keeps the flow moving for all 5 players. That's really what question Geno was answering: why was the UConn offense so listless. Because everyone was sort of standing around without Lou's motion, creativity, and constant thread to pop a couple of 3s in a row. She is the straw that stirs the drink. But in 2 years, when Geno gives her more freedom, Meg could well be the drink.
Lou’s constant movement isn’t confined to the basketball court. Whenever she’s interviewed she is constantly bobbing and weaving from side to side. At first, I found that a little disconcerting, but now that I’ve grown accustomed to it, it’s just one more thing I like about Lou.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lou is great. Just the fact that we can have this discussion shows how much so. But if you're talking top four in the program, we have to compare her to Sue Bird.
Lou’s not there yet, but give her a couple years and .......

Reaction Score
Oldude, one of the best posts I've read in a long, long time. Really need a love button for this one.

I agree with absolutely all of it. You've inspired me to want to watch KLS closer on defense to better assess that aspect of her game.

I always thought D was underappreciated on defense. Not the quickest defender, but reminded me of another #33, a guy named Larry. No one would ever accuse Larry Bird of being an all NBA defender. But it was uncanny how many times he slapped the ball away from guys late in close games when the Celts needed a steal. Same with D. Not an elite defender but amazing how often she made a key defensive play when the game was on the line. If KLS can come anywhere close to emulating D on D, her case for Mt. Rushmore will be really strong.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I never thought I'd say this but it's time to put KLS in the NPOY discission. I'd wouldn't be so presumptuous as to say she's the best player in America at this point in her career or this season but she does belong in the conversation.....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I never thought I'd say this but it's time to put KLS in the NPOY discission. I'd wouldn't be so presumptuous as to say she's the best player in America at this point in her career or this season but she does belong in the conversation.....
I’m thinking the same thing. Certainly Wilson is the front runner right now, but Lou is definitely making some noise.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. Offhand, I would think the top contenders would be (no particular order): Aja Wilson, Ionescu, McGowan, KLS. Next tier might be Kalani Brown, Durr, K Mitchell [deleted Nared on edit after reviewing her stats ... her shooting percentage is way down]. I think Azura is playing as well as anyone in the 2nd group, maybe even first ... but hard to make the case given the number of minutes she is getting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lou is great. Just the fact that we can have this discussion shows how much so. But if you're talking top four in the program, we have to compare her to Sue Bird.
Mrs. Vball Coach said the same thing. My sense is that there might be three mountain ranges: Pure Point Guards, Pure Post Players, and Everyone Else. The PG mountain (the lowest one) would be Bird, Rizzotti, MoJeff and...? Renee? Bria? Danger, in time? The Post mountain (the highest) would be Tina, Kara, Steph (perhaps), and others. Everyone else (and this is what makes UCONN so difficult for other teams) can play so many different positions that they're impossible to guard or to attack: Maya, D, Stewie, but also KLS, Lobo, Svetlana, Sales, Tuck, Strother, Gabby, KML, Shea, etc.

Reaction Score
I have been saying that since game 2 this season. You can easily see how she has upped her game in all phases. Her three pointers are resembling KML like daggers at important moments. She WILL be NPOY her senior year and IS the best player in America right now. She has shown toughness, but to be on Rushmore means being elevated above some extraordinary players. It will require her to carry the team through those crucial periods when other players are struggling and lead the team to a NC or two.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great OP Oldude!
A couple of thoughts:
1. Geno has been higher on Lou than the general fans and that started very early in her time at Uconn. I think that reflects his appreciation for her IQ and passing (not assists) which tend to get lost in the focus on stats. For example she has been the first choice in-bounder and integral to press break I think from early in her freshman year.

2. Everyone focused on Lou's three point shooting in HS, I think partly because she ended up being used as the designated shooter on most of her USA basketball teams which is the most extended minutes most of us ever saw of her HS age career. But what struck me most with the video of her at that age was her work at the basket. So ... I think people are wrong in point to drives and post-ups as being something she has added - it has been refined like the rest of her game, but it was always there (6'3 in HS is dominant size in most games so she learned to use it.)

3. As you say, her rebounding and defense have been the most notable changes to her game. Her defense was never THAT bad, but she has embraced it this year and is doing more as a rebounder as well - part of that is I think the team has shifted responsibilities on getting back on transition defense as I see her hunting offensive rebounds much more aggressively and not worrying as much about the transition D.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She moves constantly, and keeps the flow moving for all 5 players. That's really what question Geno was answering: why was the UConn offense so listless. Because everyone was sort of standing around without Lou's motion, creativity, and constant thread to pop a couple of 3s in a row. She is the straw that stirs the drink.
Not disagreeing with your post, just adding a thought. It is not just the movement but the spacing that Lou demands. She is the one player on the Uconn team that most coaches tell their defenders to never cheat off of. Consistently, even when the ball is in the opposite corner Lou's defender is within three feet of her - with the other players the defender frequently sluffs off to be in position to provide help defense on the ball. (If that is not happening at the start of the game, a few open threes, and then a few choice words in a time-out change the defensive stance!)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not disagreeing with your post, just adding a thought. It is not just the movement but the spacing that Lou demands. She is the one player on the Uconn team that most coaches tell their defenders to never cheat off of. Consistently, even when the ball is in the opposite corner Lou's defender is within three feet of her - with the other players the defender frequently sluffs off to be in position to provide help defense on the ball. (If that is not happening at the start of the game, a few open threes, and then a few choice words in a time-out change the defensive stance!)
Excellent point. One of the comments I and others have made in the past is that Lou opens up the court for her teammates simply by being on the court, and her constant movement makes it even more difficult for opposing teams.

Reaction Score
Lou’s constant movement isn’t confined to the basketball court. Whenever she’s interviewed she is constantly bobbing and weaving from side to side. At first, I found that a little disconcerting, but now that I’ve grown accustomed to it, it’s just one more thing I like about Lou.

My wife has had surgery for double vision, and still has some issues. She can’t watch Lou in an interview because of her swaying. I of course love watching her.

Another thing to pile onto 35 years of tolerating me!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Gee, guys, now what's left to say? Did you know she has a golden retriever named Sami Hoops Samuelson? Or she can juggle 3 basketballs at once? Or that she is superstitious about sitting in the same seat of a bus or van? Or that she missed 6 games on the 2014 Youth Olympic Games USA team with a BUM ANKLE? Or that her ankle is still bothering her and, as Geno rightly said, he doesn't care about Lou's ankle and she shouldn't either because maybe they can do something in the off season. Yeah, it's an issue she and we will sweat all year AND she is the right one for this assignment because she's very tough and her mind is right. For all the reasons Oldude et al have expressed, she's the best we have right now and she, more than anyone else, makes the team click the best.

PS. Lou, give up racquetball for a while please. That's a real ankle turner sport.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am a bit surprised there is no real pushback to this idea. I love Lou's game and go so far as to say I think she is the MVP of the team and she does about everything very well but the gap between her and some of our other players is not that large. More to the point, I assume Rushmore still has 4 players max and I cant imagine ever pushing out DT, Maya or Stewie. Unless Lou became a player that dominates WCBB to the point that there would be no doubt she is NPOY as well as pulling our team to multiple NC as an MVP, I would place Rebecca Lobo as number 4 not for her overall game but her importance to building UConn's legacy.

In Geno's words on his last show in answering the importance of Lou and Gabby to the team, he said all our players have strength and weaknesses and some players cover their weaknesses better than others. You need diversity of skills. The perfect player would be like Gabby but can shoot like Lou but there are not to many Maya Moore's around.

This illustrates the dichotomy between the real Mt Rushmores and the 2nd tier of great players that UConn develops.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Yes, Lou is one fine player, but...
Geno's comment about low scoring when Lou was on the bench, was amended right after with, "Lou and Gabby".
My point is that this is clearly an ensemble team, without a standout like the first 3 on the Mount.
There is no resemblance to, e.g, DT holding up the rest of the crew in '04.
Kia's a 1st rate defender and possesses the best 3 pt % in America.
Gabby is an other-worldly athlete who's the disruptive Lawrence Taylor of wcbb.
Pheesa's a super finisher; Z & CD are contributing nicely in an above average fashion.
I just don't see the singling out of Katie Lou as an accurate perception.

Reaction Score
The worst thing regarding Lou is we only have her for 1 and a half more seasons! But I suppose we say that about all our favorite players.

I love watching her play the game. Especially knowing UConn will get 20 points from her almost any/every night... something Geno takes comfort in as he game plans for each opponent.

Wilson has been anointed NPOY ... but there are still many more games to play, so I imagine there could be a change there. I do not believe Wilson has the all around game of Lou...IMHO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom