Louisville | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Again, even for tix packages for specific sports, many schools do things differently. Some do it by overall points; others like Texas look at donations to the Longhorn Foundation. That money may be used to buy football tix, but doesn't count as footballr evenue.

Which is why my reply of Yes and No. It just seems to me you were trying to establish some set rule that Louisville had somehow violated of where to place those funds when in fact it is up to each institution to complete it within the guidelines and there is no set established rule on it. Which is also why the site, imho, should basically be used for overall revenue and overall expenses as the closest to fact we are likely to get and the individual sports revenues and expenses be used as guidelines for discussion but not the be all and end all of the discussion.

Cheers,
Neil

Reaction Score
Which is why my reply of Yes and No. It just seems to me you were trying to establish some set rule that Louisville had somehow violated of where to place those funds when in fact it is up to each institution to complete it within the guidelines and there is no set established rule on it. Which is also why the site, imho, should basically be used for overall revenue and overall expenses as the closest to fact we are likely to get and the individual sports revenues and expenses be used as guidelines for discussion but not the be all and end all of the discussion.

Cheers,
Neil

Quite the contrary. I was not accusing Ville of violations but rather noting that Jurich's books were rejiggered to create a PR coup--and he was successful. Much of my post responded to the Ville fan who said that Ville's supremacy when it comes to revenue was long-running and did not have much to do with its very recent facility deals. I wasn't criticizing Ville but showing that, one, it rejiggered the books to pump up individual sports in the eyes of the media, and two, it was about even with UConn just 5 years ago, and its recent skyrocketing revenues were a product of facility expansion and sweetheart deals.

Reaction Score
To address the OP - yes, we've beaten UofL recently head-to head in some sports, including football. But any way you slice it, we are where we are now and UofL and all the other BE FB defectors are where they are now because of one simple factor - they have longer, more established football traditions at the 1-A level than we do.

Despite all our hoops success the last 20+ years, we simply joined the FB party too late. As discussed endlessly on these boards, all this has always been all about football & TV money. And as much as we've agonized over everything that's happened to us with CR, I'm not so sure the best marketing team in the world could have bought us a ticket into the gentleman's club if that was the criteria.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nope, I'm American of Irish/Scottish bloodlines.

Cheers,
Neil
Dang, I had that wrong. I figured you be something like this guy:
6a01156fe19a39970c0147e14e26d0970b-320wi

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
...These 2 are phony and looking elsewhere already. Everything they do is resume puff but not the best for uconn. Warde gets to put that he hassled a hof's hand pick for money and time. Susan gets to talk about endow and AU stuff. Resume fluff. She changed a brand quick Yadayada.

This is illogical. You are on the record in another thread stating you are in your mid 20's, so perhaps you cannot yet distinquish activity from accomplishment, which is typically needed for promotion or moving on to greener pastures. It is commonly and widely believed that the Have-Conferences believe UConn, as a whole, is not worthy. As a result no offers should be forthcoming for either administrator. If they do move on, they will also carry a stigma that they are running from a current challenge and are probably not ready for whatever challenges await at another institution.

UConn is not an AAU member. Herbst cannot claim they are a member until they are. She will not brag about a sub-par endowment until it is at least par.

Manuel only gets credit for how he handled the MBB transition, If you believe he hassled a HoFer, that is certainly not a check in the plus column.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Dang, I had that wrong. I figured you be something like this guy:
6a01156fe19a39970c0147e14e26d0970b-320wi

That's what I look like - so it sounds like I can add "cheers" to my repertoire.

Reaction Score
OSU president takes jab at Lousville,

"The top goal of Big Ten presidents is to "make certain that we have institutions of like-minded academic integrity," Gee said. "So you won't see us adding Louisville," a member of the Big East conference that is also joining the ACC."

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
OSU president takes jab at Lousville,

"The top goal of Big Ten presidents is to "make certain that we have institutions of like-minded academic integrity," Gee said. "So you won't see us adding Louisville," a member of the Big East conference that is also joining the ACC."
Link? That's a pretty good poke in the eye. Someone must have asked him how the hell Rutgers got in to the B1G.

Reaction Score
Who didn't Gee poke in the eye with that rant? Oh yeah, the Mormons - wonder why? Reminds me of that great line from Paul Azinger about Johnny Miller (paraphrasing now) - "He's the biggest moron, I mean Mormon in the booth".

It's not the first time that Gee has removed the speed bump between his brain and mouth - just the latest...

Reaction Score
Glad you are back. Kind of.

But seriously this was not fixable once she got here. Agree with your sentiments completely but we have been so far behind everyone else on fundraising for so many years it can't get fixed overnight.

So aside from the bashing please list the HFD iron clad steps that Herbst could have followed that would have won, not just what might have made you feel better.

I expect what will follow is some nonsense like "go getters get what can be got" which is pretty much like " we are winning winners that win" which means in the real world.

I recall some very ambitious goals being stated regarding growing the endowment, and raising contributions. Any updates available anywhere on how that might be going?

One of the difficulties, for the leadership at UCONN, is that in fundraising, they fight an entitlement culture that exists in this state. It's a difficult thing to change, and it takes a great deal of time and effort. In different types of cultures, all it takes is a concerted, motivated and well trained in talking on the phone, call center - to exponentially ramp up donations. It's more difficult in a place like Connecticut. But it's not impossible, it just takes effort. And I agree with your sentiments, the effort simply hasn't been there in the past. Since Herbst has been in charge, I've seen huge changes in that respect from academic efforts at fund raising, athletic efforts, and alumni association.

I hope they've made headway, and it's looking good. FWIW: I don't believe that Jim Calhoun has helped much in this regard with his public image. A better public image from him over the years, and the fund raising abilities, which are certainly there - see boneyard cardiac machine effort......and instead of "not a dime back", perhaps everybody would have been giving dimes to UCONN regularly, instead of waiting for some kind of relief effort,to make themselves feel good about giving, rather than giving back to the university regularly. Entitlement culture. Just saying.

Reaction Score
I recall some very ambitious goals being stated regarding growing the endowment, and raising contributions. Any updates available anywhere on how that might be going?

One of the difficulties, for the leadership at UCONN, is that in fundraising, they fight an entitlement culture that exists in this state. It's a difficult thing to change, and it takes a great deal of time and effort. In different types of cultures, all it takes is a concerted, motivated and well trained in talking on the phone, call center - to exponentially ramp up donations. It's more difficult in a place like Connecticut. But it's not impossible, it just takes effort. And I agree with your sentiments, the effort simply hasn't been there in the past. Since Herbst has been in charge, I've seen huge changes in that respect from academic efforts at fund raising, athletic efforts, and alumni association.

I hope they've made headway, and it's looking good. FWIW: I don't believe that Jim Calhoun has helped much in this regard with his public image. A better public image from him over the years, and the fund raising abilities, which are certainly there - see boneyard cardiac machine effort......and instead of "not a dime back", perhaps everybody would have been giving dimes to UCONN regularly, instead of waiting for some kind of relief effort,to make themselves feel good about giving, rather than giving back to the university regularly. Entitlement culture. Just saying.
I really do not think Coach Calhoun's "not a dime back" moment had any affect on the University's overall endowment. The fact is the endowment, along with other things such as overal number applicants, UConn 2000, UConn football's FCS upgrade, and the overall rise in the university, can likely be linked back to the begining of the sucess UConn experienced in MBB and WBB.

Reaction Score
Geno's Sandy Hook Scholarship project generated over a million in donations. Calhoun's cardiac thing got what $30k alone from the boneyard. People in CT have money, and they are willing to donate to what they think are worthy causes. But there is without a doubt, a government induced entitlement culture in this state. I brought up the "not a dime back" thing, b/c fund raising for UCONN is all PR. Public relations. People - specifically alumni - need to turned onto realizing that giving back, simply in the form of general donations, whether it be to the academic school they earned their degree from, or the athletic department - is a worthy cause.

That historically has not been Jim Calhoun's strong suit. I'd like to see the guy, at this stage of his career at UCONN, take some PR lessons from somebody and turn into the greatest fund raiser in the history of the school.

As for the topic at hand, Louisville, that school, was cut out of the big time college football money sharing in crowd in 1991-1992. Tom Jurich, for his entire time there, has been working to find a way back in, and the Big East provided the route back in, through the basketball programs, and he managed to get them into the ACC and stay in it.

THey raised a ton of money at that school, for athletics, and they built large facilities for ticket sales, and they did what it took to doctor the books to be at the top of every media list.

People, that have gotten somethign meaningful from UCONN - need to give back to the university. It's a culture shift that needs to happen among students and alumni. It's a shame that it's taken as long as it has, for a leadership to arise that is focused on it. Lots of time and energy for people to bitch about our situation, but if you want to do something meaningful, donate back to the school.

Soapbox out.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
This thread is quickly becoming "crazy."

Somewhere, in a secret place, I see an aircraft carrier sitting stoically while its radar antenna spins crazily to the beat of a different drummer.​

Reaction Score
Geno's Sandy Hook Scholarship project generated over a million in donations. Calhoun's cardiac thing got what $30k alone from the boneyard. People in CT have money, and they are willing to donate to what they think are worthy causes. But there is without a doubt, a government induced entitlement culture in this state. I brought up the "not a dime back" thing, b/c fund raising for UCONN is all PR. Public relations. People - specifically alumni - need to turned onto realizing that giving back, simply in the form of general donations, whether it be to the academic school they earned their degree from, or the athletic department - is a worthy cause.

That historically has not been Jim Calhoun's strong suit. I'd like to see the guy, at this stage of his career at UCONN, take some PR lessons from somebody and turn into the greatest fund raiser in the history of the school.

As for the topic at hand, Louisville, that school, was cut out of the big time college football money sharing in crowd in 1991-1992. Tom Jurich, for his entire time there, has been working to find a way back in, and the Big East provided the route back in, through the basketball programs, and he managed to get them into the ACC and stay in it.

THey raised a ton of money at that school, for athletics, and they built large facilities for ticket sales, and they did what it took to doctor the books to be at the top of every media list.

People, that have gotten somethign meaningful from UCONN - need to give back to the university. It's a culture shift that needs to happen among students and alumni. It's a shame that it's taken as long as it has, for a leadership to arise that is focused on it. Lots of time and energy for people to bitch about our situation, but if you want to do something meaningful, donate back to the school.

Soapbox out.

You are 100% right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member