Louisville- wheels coming off? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Louisville- wheels coming off?

Reaction Score
I can understand that. My point is you just can't plug in two stars/players from other programs and expect them to take the place and/or create the same chemistry as "last year's model" (to quote from Elvis Costello). And, if you know they're going to be different, how will it affect what is the modus operandi of the team.

As for Verhulst, was this a situation where Walz -- in looking for more frosting -- upset the cake (H.S. players he recruited) or was Verhulst simply not living up to his expectations. Verhulst was his trophy recruit that year and while Jeff sometimes buys in bulk, she was what he was after that year. Like Carr for you and Jones for me, something's off on that.
In agreement with you there @Dillon77. No different than pro teams going crazy during free agency to see everything blow up in their face.

Again, it's a vibe/feeling I'm getting with this year's group of incoming transfers to Louisville. The feeling was there since the start of the season. Verhulst's transfer has nothing to do with it for me personally.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Questions for Louisville or ACC fans. Did Payton Verhulst suffer an injury in. her time at Louisville? What do you think went wrong?
I was personally very high on her as a combo guard or wing coming out of high school because at USA basketball she was sneaky athletic an outstanding rebounder and playmaker. She only played 6 minutes when Louisville played UCONN as a freshman and it seem to me most of her athleticism was gone and thus my question regarding a possible injury. Hopefully a new environment in 23 will reset Payton because she is a terrific player.
You and I have had back and forths with her from her U.S.A. National team stints in both Chile and Europe.
I always thought she was the slightly spunky twin sister or cousin of Sonia Citron. They're both the same size, both play big guard/wing. While Citron is a bit more subdued and will fit within the general structure, Verhulst had some spunk: liked to drive, take people off the dribble and pull up for jumpers mid-range and long.

Heck, I would've loved to have seen that relationship continue (they follow each other) at, well you can guess where.
However, I think that ship might've sailed, with 6'1" guard Emma Risch coming in to become the team's long-range bomber.
Plus, another former U.S.A. teammate, KK Bransford, is also there and Canadian national player, Cass Prosper will also be there.

If Payton wants playing time and still wants to be the PV we knew, I could see her entertaining schools such as Iowa State (with Joens going pro, there's room there) or Oklahoma, which also likes to push pace. Or maybe join the upsurge at Kansas State (she is, after all, a Kansas young adult).

On the other hand, maybe Sonia and 'Liv Miles (another U.S.A. teammate from Chile) can have a chat with Niele....;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You and I have had back and forths with her from her U.S.A. National team stints in both Chile and Europe.
I always thought she was the slightly spunky twin sister or cousin of Sonia Citron. They're both the same size, both play big guard/wing. While Citron is a bit more subdued and will fit within the general structure, Verhulst had some spunk: liked to drive, take people off the dribble and pull up for jumpers mid-range and long.

Heck, I would've loved to have seen that relationship continue (they follow each other) at, well you can guess where.
However, I think that ship might've sailed, with 6'1" guard Emma Risch coming in to become the team's long-range bomber.
Plus, another former U.S.A. teammate, KK Bransford, is also there and Canadian national player, Cass Prosper will also be there.

If Payton wants playing time and still wants to be the PV we knew, I could see her entertaining schools such as Iowa State (with Joens going pro, there's room there) or Oklahoma, which also likes to push pace. Or maybe join the upsurge at Kansas State (she is, after all, a Kansas young adult).

On the other hand, maybe Sonia and 'Liv Miles (another U.S.A. teammate from Chile) can have a chat with Niele....;)
I think you may have missed my previous post on the matter which is contrary to your post.
Absolutely! If I haven't said it already I think the world of Payton as a player. She would do extremely well at UCONN if... she had come to UCONN originally. With two top 10 guards coming in next season and another already committed for 2024 I don't think UCONN has room for her now. I think I recall reading that she was/is a high academic caliber student as well. So perhaps Duke, Stanford or Princeton might become options for Payton as well.
Whatever you do Payton just don't end up at ND because then I'm gonna have to reevaluate...as I'm currently doing with Sonia Citron.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I think you may have missed my previous post on the matter which is contrary to your post.I
Hah! I must've. Well, judging by what you wrote, we're somewhat on agreement on what Payton could bring to a team like UConn and/or ND. I'd never want to tee you off (too much), but having those two on the same collegiate team would be a joy. (well for me, at least ;))
But, again, don't think it will happen... now I'll throw in one "please no" school: Not Duke, please.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well, looks like the Cards worked out some frustrations against SIU Edwardsville (whatever that is?) today. 105-32.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's just the addition of Jones. Carr seems to have her challenges working with the guard rotation that Louisville has in place. I don't know what it is, however there's a vibe I get from Carr that I dislike and can't shake from what I watched last season when she played for Syracuse.
When someone rated her a top ACC portal pickup, I was suprised. She was maybe the 3rd best player on the team, and not anywhere near Hyman.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Well, looks like the Cards worked out some frustrations against SIU Edwardsville (whatever that is?) today. 105-32.
I assume you mean Evansville. Small to midsized city almost on the Ohio River. More Kentucky than Midwest. I had inlaws there.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I assume you mean Evansville. Small to midsized city almost on the Ohio River. More Kentucky than Midwest. I had inlaws there.
No it was Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. Louisville just beat a team that has not won a game all year.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
No it was Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. Louisville just beat a team that has not won a game all year.
Oops! Learn something new every day. I'd always assumed it was Southern Indiana Evansville. :oops:

Reaction Score
Hah! I must've. Well, judging by what you wrote, we're somewhat on agreement on what Payton could bring to a team like UConn and/or ND. I'd never want to tee you off (too much), but having those two on the same collegiate team would be a joy. (well for me, at least ;))
But, again, don't think it will happen... now I'll throw in one "please no" school: Not Duke, please.
Keeping an eye on the Sooners at this point. Not far from home, and they're losing Robertson and Llanusa next year and could probably use a player with Verhulst's skill set.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Keeping an eye on the Sooners at this point. Not far from home, and they're losing Robertson and Llanusa next year and could probably use a player with Verhulst's skill set.
Yup. In a (lot) more objective post on Verhulst, I think she'd most likely look for a school that runs an upbeat offense that fits her skill set and has the potential for playing time. Lots of it. Oklahoma is most certainly one of those schools that fits the profile.
Iowa State, with Ashley Joens out of eligibility, could fit the bill, too. Isn't Creighton somewhat upper-class laden? If so, could be an opening there, too.

She doesn't strike me as being a city kid, but she could certainly fit in with Doug Bruno's upbeat style. And they need some firepower there!

Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
She has started following Oklahoma WBB and a couple of the players on Instagram so there is an interest

Reaction Score
They will be fine. They have lost four games. They will reel off 16-18 in a row and folks will look back and not even remember that they lost four games. They will probably end up losing a total of six games for the year. They will be okay.

Reaction Score
Louisville should be fine in the ACC because their schedule is favorable. Notre Dame is only team they have play twice from teams that are projected to finish in the top half of the ACC. They have home and away games against BC, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse and they have home games against Miami, NC State, and UNC.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
They will be fine. They have lost four games. They will reel off 16-18 in a row and folks will look back and not even remember that they lost four games. They will probably end up losing a total of six games for the year. They will be okay.

They will be okay due to the pod they are in. They aint winning 16-18 in a row however. Asia Durr and Emily Engstler ain't walking though that door.

I just took a look at their schedule.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
16 games in January and February

Screenshot_20221208-181610~2.png
Screenshot_20221208-181536~2.png

Reaction Score
Louisville should be fine in the ACC because their schedule is favorable. Notre Dame is only team they have play twice from teams that are projected to finish in the top half of the ACC. They have home and away games against BC, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse and they have home games against Miami, NC State, and UNC.
As a Louisville fan, I hope that you and JellyBean are correct. Both of you are a little more optimistic than I am. I trust Walz, and expect improvement, but his good teams have generally been really good defensively and this team so far is not. And they need to find reliable second and third scorers behind Hailey Van Lith. Cochran usually fills one of those roles but she is an undersized 5. So far Dixon and Williams haven't shown me that they are up to the task of eating up major minutes against top competition.

Walz struck gold last season in the transfer portal. Jury is still out on that this season. My guess is that the addition of Morgan Jones had a lot to do with Verhulst's departure. Most of us fans had Verhulst penciled in as a starter. She was one of the few three-point shooters on the roster. Walz is giving Merissah Russell minutes and she should be above-average from deep although she was 1-8 from 3 against MTSU.

This team's ultimate success may rest on freshmen - Nyla Harris and Zyanna Walker. Walker was targeted for a redshirt but Walz called on her in the second half against MTSU. They didn't have a game jersey for her so she wore a "blood" jersey without a name - ironically it was 21 which was Engstler's number last season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom