Louisville- wheels coming off? | The Boneyard

Louisville- wheels coming off?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
IDK if this is true or not as I haven't seen it anywhere else. If true it makes me wonder, why Louisville goes so hard for the portal to bring in players when they have them on the bench. I am surprised Konno and Russell haven't transferred yet.

Reaction Score
Coach Kara, you know where her mother played, so you know what to do!

Reaction Score
Her finalists (besides Louisville) out of HS were Mizzou, Oregon, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Stanford, Oregon St., UConn, and AZ State.
She will likely go to a finalists who is not in a rebuilding year(s) and has room for another guard. I don't see her in ending up in the Pac-12 now. Probably one of those closer to home transfers. Seems to be the thing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I guess we'll see later today if this report is true as Louisville plays against Middle Tennessee at 5 pm.

Reaction Score
IDK if this is true or not as I haven't seen it anywhere else. If true it makes me wonder, why Louisville goes so hard for the portal to bring in players when they have them on the bench. I am surprised Konno and Russell haven't transferred yet.
I wouldn’t be surprised if a cultural norm prevents Konno from transferring merely to get more minutes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Questions for Louisville or ACC fans. Did Payton Verhulst suffer an injury in. her time at Louisville? What do you think went wrong?
I was personally very high on her as a combo guard or wing coming out of high school because at USA basketball she was sneaky athletic an outstanding rebounder and playmaker. She only played 6 minutes when Louisville played UCONN as a freshman and it seem to me most of her athleticism was gone and thus my question regarding a possible injury. Hopefully a new environment in 23 will reset Payton because she is a terrific player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wishing Payton well.

I just did a quick review of her and noticed the common theme amongst her siblings’ first names — “Ton”.
Quinton, Dalton, Ashton, Kirston, Addiston

Reaction Score
Wishing Payton well.

I just did a quick review of her and noticed the common theme amongst her siblings’ first names — “Ton”.
Quinton, Dalton, Ashton, Kirston, Addiston
Six kids… impressive these days!

Reaction Score
She will likely go to a finalists who is not in a rebuilding year(s) and has room for another guard. I don't see her in ending up in the Pac-12 now. Probably one of those closer to home transfers. Seems to be the thing.
Nebraska seems on the rise… good coaching.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wheels coming off... no. Wings coming off.... yes.

card.jpeg

1) This might be my favorite sports related /meme of all time, seems perfect for this thread

2) Was debating on whether or not to go to the Jan 1. Louisville-Duke matchup... I'll be searching for seats tomorrow.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Not to be that guy and it's moreso to the person's tweet but I actually don't think that's bad offense. Like going to Olivia Cochran one on one in the post when she had pretty good position. She just didn't get off a good shot which happens to the best of them. There were other possessions that I thought were much worse. But I'm very interested in seeing how the team responds cuz they really look average right now.

Reaction Score
The lopsidedness of that score (18 pts) really sets off alarm bells for me.
The offense is brutal so far, in that loss they shot like 27% from the floor. There is talent but I'm not sure they work well together. Feels like a team of individuals than a collective team. Maybe they can turn it around but nothing seems promising so far. They looked way better vs Ohio St but they clearly got worn out in the back end against their press.

Going to be portal hunting this offseason for Louisville as I don't think they signed a single 23 recruit?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not to be that guy and it's moreso to the person's tweet but I actually don't think that's bad offense. Like going to Olivia Cochran one on one in the post when she had pretty good position. She just didn't get off a good shot which happens to the best of them. There were other possessions that I thought were much worse. But I'm very interested in seeing how the team responds cuz they really look average right now.

Well that guy isn't a big fan of Louisville... judging by other tweets.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The offense is brutal so far, in that loss they shot like 27% from the floor. There is talent but I'm not sure they work well together. Feels like a team of individuals than a collective team. Maybe they can turn it around but nothing seems promising so far. They looked way better vs Ohio St but they clearly got worn out in the back end against their press.

Going to be portal hunting this offseason for Louisville as I don't think they signed a single 23 recruit?
Coach Walz is always bringing in a steady stream of H.S. recruits (until this year, anyway) and transfers, so he should be used to integrating new talent.

Last year, he got really lucky with Emily Engstler. Not only is she sublimely talented, but she's also a glue player -- she served the same purpose at Syracuse. Working with vets like Kianna Smith and other transfer floor leaders Chelsie Hall made for a team that got its collective act together.

All three of those players are now gone. Morgan Jones can score but I've never thought of her as a leader when she was at FSU.

So Coach Walz will probably have to hit the portal but be careful: bringing in Jones might've led to a situation that made 2021 prize recruit hit the exit.

Reaction Score
Coach Walz is always bringing in a steady stream of H.S. recruits (until this year, anyway) and transfers, so he should be used to integrating new talent.

Last year, he got really lucky with Emily Engstler. Not only is she sublimely talented, but she's also a glue player -- she served the same purpose at Syracuse. Working with vets like Kianna Smith and other transfer floor leaders Chelsie Hall made for a team that got its collective act together.

All three of those players are now gone. Morgan Jones can score but I've never thought of her as a leader when she was at FSU.

So Coach Walz will probably have to hit the portal but be careful: bringing in Jones might've led to a situation that made 2021 prize recruit hit the exit.
I don't think it's just the addition of Jones. Carr seems to have her challenges working with the guard rotation that Louisville has in place. I don't know what it is, however there's a vibe I get from Carr that I dislike and can't shake from what I watched last season when she played for Syracuse.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I don't think it's just the addition of Jones. Carr seems to have her challenges working with the guard rotation that Louisville has in pI can lace. I don't know what it is, however there's a vibe I get from Carr that I dislike and can't shake from what I watched last season when she played for Syracuse.
I can understand that. My point is you just can't plug in two stars/players from other programs and expect them to take the place and/or create the same chemistry as "last year's model" (to quote from Elvis Costello). And, if you know they're going to be different, how will it affect what is the modus operandi of the team?

As for Verhulst, was this a situation where Walz -- in looking for more frosting -- upset the cake (H.S. players he recruited) or was Verhulst simply not living up to his expectations? Verhulst was his trophy recruit that year and while Jeff sometimes buys in bulk, she was what he was after in that class. Like Carr for you and Jones for me, something's off on that.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom