Louisville redshirting a pair of freshmen | The Boneyard

Louisville redshirting a pair of freshmen

Reaction Score
Nice move by Walz, because honestly was either going to play this season?

Reaction Score
Walz loves to overcrowd his team, and basically force players out. It's a style of recruiting I don't particularly like, but I guess it works. I guess it's smart so you don't end up like ND, with only 7 scholarship players.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Walz loves to overcrowd his team, and basically force players out. It's a style of recruiting I don't particularly like, but I guess it works. I guess it's smart so you don't end up like ND, with only 7 scholarship players.
It is increasingly common at a lot of institutions. Not my style but I understand the 'survival of the fittest' logic. Just hope he is upfront with them from the get go about his philosophy.

Reaction Score
Nyah Green is a pretty good player. Adding a year of eligibility for her is pretty smart.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For either of these players, doesn’t it increase the possibility that they might transfer. If they know there’s no chance they will see the court this season? At a minimum they can transfer at the end of the first semester and be eligible to play during the spring semester of next season.

Reaction Score
always amazed when recruits chose a school that is already loaded with talent and numbers but it seems to happen quite often..............

Reaction Score
always amazed when recruits chose a school that is already loaded with talent and numbers but it seems to happen quite often..............
That’s what Lauren cox did when she signed to Baylor

Reaction Score

To be fair the GA tech girls came after Nyah Green was already committed.

I am surprised a lot by Nyah Green redshirting. Seems like there is more to the story because it’s hard to imagine Nyah not being in the top “8-9 players” Walz sees with his team. She certainly lands ahead of the original 2018 recruits.

Reaction Score
Nyah went from the #1 rated player in her class and ended up at #23. She is a Mcd All American. Loretta Kakala had a similar story, #25 Hoopgurlz, redshirted, McDonalds All American and transferred to Pacific just before her redshirt frosh year tipped off. She will play this year along with Valerie Higgens and Jordon Cruz. Hope she does well. Interesting side note Kakala and Aquira DeCosta are close friends.
As far as Nyah Green, she could be a late bloomer. Noriko Konno, the Japanese freshman made it easier to redshirt Green. Konno will be first off the bench at shooting guard. She’s a slasher with a great all around game. Walz talks her up more than any player on the roster.
Apparently Bianca Dunham now looking back on it really wishes she took up Walz suggestion to redshirt her frosh year. She refused saying she came to L’ville to play. She shared her experience with Parker and Green and it helped make sense to them to redshirt.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For either of these players, doesn’t it increase the possibility that they might transfer. If they know there’s no chance they will see the court this season? At a minimum they can transfer at the end of the first semester and be eligible to play during the spring semester of next season.
Not only does it increase the possibility that these players might transfer, it also increases the chances that they would be immediately eligible at the new school. One of the explicit NCAA guidelines for immediate eligibility is "lack of opportunity to participate".

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nyah went from the #1 rated player in her class and ended up at #23. She is a Mcd All American. Loretta Kakala had a similar story, #25 Hoopgurlz, redshirted, McDonalds All American and transferred to Pacific just before her redshirt frosh year tipped off. She will play this year along with Valerie Higgens and Jordon Cruz. Hope she does well. Interesting side note Kakala and Aquira DeCosta are close friends.
As far as Nyah Green, she could be a late bloomer. Noriko Konno, the Japanese freshman made it easier to redshirt Green. Konno will be first off the bench at shooting guard. She’s a slasher with a great all around game. Walz talks her up more than any player on the roster.
Apparently Bianca Dunham now looking back on it really wishes she took up Walz suggestion to redshirt her frosh year. She refused saying she came to L’ville to play. She shared her experience with Parker and Green and it helped make sense to them to redshirt.
Nyah Green made her commitment to Louisville early (HS sophomore?) stuck with it and this is how Jeff rewards her loyalty?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Nyah went from the #1 rated player in her class and ended up at #23. She is a Mcd All American. ....
As far as Nyah Green, she could be a late bloomer. Noriko Konno, the Japanese freshman made it easier to redshirt Green. Konno will be first off the bench at shooting guard. Walz talks her up more than any player on the roster.

Not only does it increase the possibility that these players might transfer, it also increases the chances that they would be immediately eligible at the new school. One of the explicit NCAA guidelines for immediate eligibility is "lack of opportunity to participate".
Nyah Green made her commitment to Louisville early (HS sophomore?) stuck with it and this is how Jeff rewards her loyalty?

Tazmaz: I'm a bit confused by what you mean on "As far as Nyah Green, she could be a late bloomer." She's rated in the top 25 by HG, and is still #7 in Prospects Nation, which theoretically makes her a top peformer in her class. So, are you inferring that once all of the Cardinal incoming players got together for summer workouts and Fall practice, she didn't make the grade?

Per Coco's point, it seems (more than a) bit harsh that she was chosen since she was such an early commit to the Cardinal program. And, if memory serves, she and her dad paid their own way up for a non-official visit and committed on the spot.

The parallel to Kakala seems like a prospects's worse-case scenario and hope that is not what could happen here for either Green or Parker. Or is this a case of Coach Walz, who has not had much success with the Class of 2020, spreading out -- dare one say, manipulating? -- what he does have have to fill in that 2020 time frame? Or, will he be taken with another transfer?

Perplexing.

Reaction Score
Tazmaz: I'm a bit confused by what you mean on "As far as Nyah Green, she could be a late bloomer." She's rated in the top 25 by HG, and is still #7 in Prospects Nation, which theoretically makes her a top peformer in her class. So, are you inferring that once all of the Cardinal incoming players got together for summer workouts and Fall practice, she didn't make the grade?

Per Coco's point, it seems (more than a) bit harsh that she was chosen since she was such an early commit to the Cardinal program. And, if memory serves, she and her dad paid their own way up for a non-official visit and committed on the spot.

The parallel to Kakala seems like a prospects's worse-case scenario and hope that is not what could happen here for either Green or Parker. Or is this a case of Coach Walz, who has not had much success with the Class of 2020, spreading out -- dare one say, manipulating? -- what he does have have to fill in that 2020 time frame? Or, will he be taken with another transfer?

Perplexing.
That’s exactly what I’m inferring. If Green could have helped this year she would be playing. Nariko Konno beat her out and he had already redshirted soph Lindsey Duval two years ago so she was not an option and is probably more valuable this year anyway. Yes Walz is “manipulating” his roster. He is looking out for his future team and I’m sure he thinks it can benefit each player too. He risks Green transferring but she wouldn’t have gotten minutes and its doubtful she would have been happy sitting all year. If Arica Carter hadn’t redshirted after her soph year she never would have been drafted and made a WNBA opening day roster. She was a different player after sitting a year and according to Muffet was the difference in 2018 when the Cards beat ND. With Dunham, as usual Walz left the decision to redshirt as hers to make. She chose to say no way and play. In the past he has had several players redshirt due to minor injuries when they could have played like Courtney Walton. She benefited and so did the team.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
That’s exactly what I’m inferring. If Green could have helped this year she would be playing. Nariko Konno beat her out and he had already redshirted soph Lindsey Duval two years ago so she was not an option and is probably more valuable this year anyway. Yes Walz is “manipulating” his roster. He is looking out for his future team and I’m sure he thinks it can benefit each player too. He risks Green transferring but she wouldn’t have gotten minutes and I’m in sure would not have been happy sitting all year. If Arica Carter hadn’t redshirted after her soph year she never would have been drafted and made a WNBA opening day roster. She was a different player after sitting a year and according to Muffet was the difference in 2018 and the Cards beating ND twice. She could have played but had a minor injury so Walz decided to redshirt her. With Dunham, Walz left the decision to redshirt hers to make. She chose to play. In the past he has had several players redshirt due to minor injuries when they could have played like Courtney Walton. She benefited and so did the team.

Thank you for that explanation and thoughts as to what Coach Walz is trying to accomplish, both for the collective benefit of his team and, perportedly, for the individual, as well.

This next thought is not meant to be perjorative or judgemental, but I'm just wondering if it was explained to Green and/or Parker that they'd be in a tryout of sorts (or whatever you might call the process described above).

If so, eyes wide open.

If not, could be perceived as something of a "what happened here?" or, even worse, a bait and switch. Could you see that?

Reaction Score
Walz deals in reality. He believes Green will have a better shot at the pros if she sits a year. Obviously it’s better for the team next year and could be for her as long as her game gets better. McD AA or not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thank you for that explanation and thoughts as to what Coach Walz is trying to accomplish, both for the collective benefit of his team and, perportedly, for the individual, as well.

This next thought is not meant to be perjorative or judgemental, but I'm just wondering if it was explained to Green and/or Parker that they'd be in a tryout of sorts (or whatever you might call the process described above).

If so, eyes wide open.

If not, could be perceived as something of a "what happened here?" or, even worse, a bait and switch. Could you see that?
Absolutely it could be perceived as a bait and switch but in fairness to Walz, Dixon and Balogun transferred after Green committed and Konno was a late sign and with her two years of international experience turned out to be way ahead of Green at this stage. Walz is very straightforward with his players. May not seem like that from the outside but he’s far from a con man. Recruits are always saying what they like about him is he doesn’t tell you what you want to hear or sugarcoat anything. That may be a reason he misses on so many top recruits. L’ville often makes the final 3 of top 10 recruits but rarely gets them. Asia Durr and Dana Evans the exceptions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Looking at this from the outside it appears that after a series of practices Green and Parker were not going to get enough minutes so he redshirted them to save a year of eligibility. The best players play. I can’t think of a single top program where this isn’t the case.

Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, Walz talked about it on the radio yesterday. Said he talked with the players and the parents and everyone was in agreement. He said he would never force a player to redshirt if they didn’t want to. He also said that Green probably would of played some this year but with Diop and Balogun (unexpectedly) being on the roster this year, Green and her parents were cool with saving the year of eligibility. She’ll be inline for big minutes next season. As far as Parker is concerned, sounds like she just isn’t ready to compete at a high level yet.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, Walz talked about it on the radio yesterday. Said he talked with the players and the parents and everyone was in agreement. He said he would never force a player to redshirt if they didn’t want to. He also said that Green probably would of played some this year but with Diop and Balogun (unexpectedly) being on the roster this year, Green and her parents were cool with saving the year of eligibility. She’ll be inline for big minutes next season. As far as Parker is concerned, sounds like she just isn’t ready to compete at a high level yet.

Do you really believe that? Inline for big minutes next year? Really? So Jeff is done recruiting for next year? Van Lith?
If you are a freshman parents and the coach calls to say I'm think about redshirting your daughter, what do you expect the parent to say? We are only at mid semester. Wait until Christmas break when the kid gets home and gets in touch with the HS/AAU coaches and I bet things will change quickly. BTW why is Jeff being so public about this? If a player is not injured and they get DNP in consecutive games people will figure it out.

Reaction Score
Vic redshirted Myah Taylor a few years ago simply for the reason that she was going to see very few MPG behind William and Holmes. She is now starting as a sophomore.

Reaction Score
Do you really believe that? Inline for big minutes next year? Really? So Jeff is done recruiting for next year? Van Lith?
If you are a freshman parents and the coach calls to say I'm think about redshirting your daughter, what do you expect the parent to say? We are only at mid semester. Wait until Christmas break when the kid gets home and gets in touch with the HS/AAU coaches and I bet things will change quickly. BTW why is Jeff being so public about this? If a player is not injured and they get DNP in consecutive games people will figure it out.

Jaz Jones and Diop are gone next year, so yes I do believe Green can earn big minutes next year on the wing. Green and Hailey Van Lith will not play the same position. And Jody Demling has reported that they are done recruiting for next year, it’s Hailey Van Lith or bust (I mean they already have 3 commitments). I have no issue with them being transparent with the players and fans on this. He was asked about it on the radio, he didn’t just volunteer it. You don’t trust Walz and that’s fine. I’m not trying to convince you. I was just relaying what he said and I have zero issues with it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Jaz Jones and Diop are gone next year, so yes I do believe Green can earn big minutes next year on the wing. Green and Hailey Van Lith will not play the same position. And Jody Demling has reported that they are done recruiting for next year, it’s Hailey Van Lith or bust (I mean they already have 3 commitments). I have no issue with them being transparent with the players and fans on this. He was asked about it on the radio, he didn’t just volunteer it. You don’t trust Walz and that’s fine. I’m not trying to convince you. I was just relaying what he said and I have zero issues with it.
You are right, I don't.

Reaction Score
Jessica Moore red shirted her freshman for the exact same reason. I would say it worked out pretty well for her.

Reaction Score
On the men's side when you see a prospect start out as one of the best players in the class and then gradually fade down the rankings it's generally because they were an early bloomer not a late bloomer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom