Louisville Post-Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Louisville Post-Game Thread

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
From my “oh by the way” department, the first charging call against Lou was totally bogus. I re-watched in slo-mo and frame-by-frame. The defender did not have either foot planted and slid to a position that was almost in front of Lou. Almost. Another peculiar call from Dee Duh Ref, who was five feet away.

No question, that call was atrocious. But it also looked like Collier had her heel in the semi circle on the other end.

the Q

Reaction Score
Good points about Stevens. I said awhile back that I couldn't understand how she could practice with these coaches for almost 2 years now and still have no semblance of a turnaround jumper or jump hook. She does a real good job of keeping the ball high on offensive rebounds and entry passes but seems to lose track of where she is when in the lane. Hope it's a point of emphasis for her this summer.

I'd be happy if she learned how to use the backboard more often.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Couple of thoughts sitting in the stands last night:

1. Louisville looked shell shocked early and we took advantage. Big Time
2. Lou has really developed her game. She was bumped on every cut and plays better D and looks to rebound much more than ever. She is evolving from a great shooter to a great player in front of our eyes and we need to appreciate that development.
3. Gabby is an athletic mismatch every night but has a high basketball IQ. If she takes and makes a few more foul line jumpers, she will open up the low post passing lane even more and also a driving lane for herself much easier.
4. Kia was amazing defensively- Durr can flat out shoot with a quick release and Kia stuck with her like glue. Kia did not have a chance to rebound since Durr never went near the paint and offensively, Kia was not needed as other players had mismatches they could take advantage of.
5.The problem for the bench is similar to Natalie Butler's problem last year. The 5 starters are virtually interchangeable offensively. Megan is still trying to figure out her role in this offense as a freshman. Instead of learning 1 position, she is trying to integrate herself into a position less offense and that is a steep learning curve. Azura flows through pretty much like Napheesa's spot and will always be open at the 3 point line. Geno likes his players taking open shots within the flow of the offense. This year, Azura can't hit those with regularity.
6. Azura had the stars in the eyes moment in the first half- but competed really well in the fourth quarter.

Overall, no complaints as we are what we are. Kudos to the crowd and the team for an entertaining night.

Reaction Score

2. Lou has really developed her game. She was bumped on every cut and plays better D and looks to rebound much more than ever. She is evolving from a great shooter to a great player in front of our eyes and we need to appreciate that development.
3. Gabby is an athletic mismatch every night but has a high basketball IQ. If she takes and makes a few more foul line jumpers, she will open up the low post passing lane even more and also a driving lane for herself much easier.
4. Kia was amazing defensively- Durr can flat out shoot with a quick release and Kia stuck with her like glue. Kia did not have a chance to rebound since Durr never went near the paint and offensively, Kia was not needed as other players had mismatches they could take advantage of.
5.The problem for the bench is similar to Natalie Butler's problem last year. The 5 starters are virtually interchangeable offensively. Megan is still trying to figure out her role in this offense as a freshman. Instead of learning 1 position, she is trying to integrate herself into a position less offense and that is a steep learning curve. Azura flows through pretty much like Napheesa's spot and will always be open at the 3 point line. Geno likes his players taking open shots within the flow of the offense. This year, Azura can't hit those with regularity.
6. Azura had the stars in the eyes moment in the first half- but competed really well in the fourth quarter.

Overall, no complaints as we are what we are. Kudos to the crowd and the team for an entertaining night.
Disagree with the bolded. Unless one of the starters really needed a break longer than the five minute one you get between quarters, subbing to start the second quarter was effectively taking the foot off the gas. They had them on the ropes and were close to breaking their spirit and taking their soul. So close to a TKO at that point, but we let them get up off the mat. The announcers even made a comment during that 19-0 run that as Louisville players were coming down the floor they had that defeated look or something to that effect.

Reaction Score
That was a make up call. The charge against Louisville in the previous play was a bad call.
More of the ticky tacky calls went against UConn while Huskies took some hard shots that weren't called. Seems to becoming so typical it doesn't even get Geno excited anymore. I used to enjoy watching CD hold him back.

Reaction Score
I'd be happy if she learned how to use the backboard more often.
While I agree with many of the comments about Z's potential to expand her game, seems in all the close games she positions herself perfectly for layups when most needed. Last year, this role was played by Collier who got All American mention. Z typically gets criticized for the other things she doesn't do.

Reaction Score
Aja will have big numbers because of the team she's on. It's apparent that no one will average 20 points per game this year, unlike last year when both Napheesa and Lou did. Would you rather Lou win the POY or UConn win a 12th championship? I'll take the 12th championship and so will Lou and her teammates.

Reaction Score
As the game wore on Louisville obviously decided to give Gabby the 15 footer. I love watching Gabby play, but in 4 years at UConn she still has not developed any confidence in that shot. Frankly, I am disappointed . Any good team will pack it in against the huskies and force Gabby and Chrystal to beat them from the perimeter. I'm also growing very tired of Geno's refusal to play MW. I haven't rewatched the game yet, but I don't remember any glowingly bad play by her when she played in the 2nd quarter. Geno however doesn't have a problem with Z or even Phees taking a 20 foot jumper after one pass, just because they are open. I won't even get into the officiating. Let's just say the glaring makeup charging calls were ridiculous. The announcing was better last night than in recent games , paying more attention to player substitutions.

Reaction Score
Disagree with the bolded. Unless one of the starters really needed a break longer than the five minute one you get between quarters, subbing to start the second quarter was effectively taking the foot off the gas. They had them on the ropes and were close to breaking their spirit and taking their soul. So close to a TKO at that point, but we let them get up off the mat. The announcers even made a comment during that 19-0 run that as Louisville players were coming down the floor they had that defeated look or something to that effect.
I think Geno’s just preparing for the tournament. He knows exactly what he’s doing when he “takes his foot off the gas”.

Reaction Score
Aja will have big numbers because of the team she's on. It's apparent that no one will average 20 points per game this year, unlike last year when both Napheesa and Lou did. Would you rather Lou win the POY or UConn win a 12th championship? I'll take the 12th championship and so will Lou and her teammates.
Agree... And Lou would too. Did you hear the crazy question put to Lou in post game presser by one of the regulars... "Do you feel you staked your claim for NPOY with how you played tonight?" Lou's face as question being asked was like... I am going to smack you for asking this... then her response... first a chuckle, then, "No, haven't even thought about that. It's all about Team...especially after the way last season ended. We want to finish the job. Any thing else that comes along will come, but NC is what's important for all of us." Or words to that effect

Reaction Score
UConn clearly took their foot off the gas.... I wonder if that was on purpose.
Absolutely ...20 points up, and a tired team, coach slowed it down, in a 25 second passing game, one could easily replenish oxygen, and if the spread got to 10 points the gas would be turned on...traded 2 for 1 pts, and won the game going away..Just Brilliant.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
From my “oh by the way” department, the first charging call against Lou was totally bogus. I re-watched in slo-mo and frame-by-frame. The defender did not have either foot planted and slid to a position that was almost in front of Lou. Almost. Another peculiar call from Dee Duh Ref, who was five feet away.

I haven't watched it frame by frame but I believe you. His what I think happened:

With 7:06 left they called an offensive foul on Fuehring.

A little over a minute later at 5:43 the next foul called was An offensive foul on Hines-Allen

The very next foul situation at 4:17 was the play involving Samuelson.

I think the refs felt that if they had three consecutive charge block decisions to make, and every one of them favored the Huskies, it might look bad. The rest will dispute this – they will claim that they call every play like they see them, but I think they are human (don't hold me to this) and given the situation, not just back to back offense of fouls called on Louisville but what looked to be like a blowout in progress, and they made a close call the other way.

Last edited by a moderator:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Brilliant analysis with a positive outlook. Please... please... stick around and keep it coming otherwise we'll drown in a sea of negativity.

Reaction Score

Personally, I think Geno got spoiled coaching the Olympic team. He wants 5 all americans on the floor at all times. This is just not realistic in WCBB. After rewatching the couple of minutes MW was in the game, I am " I " just don't get " IT " ! She set screens . played solid defense and seems to be trying to fit in with the other 4 players. I saw nothing wrong with her play.

the Q

Reaction Score
Brilliant analysis with a positive outlook. Please... please... stick around and keep it coming otherwise we'll drown in a sea of negativity.

I try to be positive but I think guys get sick of me going on and on about how amazing gabby is. Lol

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Did anyone find that last-second shot by Durr incredibly low basketball IQ for a player of her caliber? No one was really guarding her with 3 seconds left in the game so she decided to make a gratiuitous basket. Napheesa put up a token defense, Durr made a fancy shot to score but ended up falling on her hip, apparently injuring herself. How silly was that, weeks from the post-season?

When I saw that play and saw that she was possibly injured on it, I thought WOW

-- if I were a Cards fan I would have stroked out, to potentially lose the team's star that way. Just wow.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I try to be positive but I think guys get sick of me going on and on about how amazing gabby is. Lol
Then that's their problem not yours or mine. I never get tired of hearing how amazing Gabby is!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Did anyone find that last-second shot by Durr incredibly low basketball IQ for a player of her caliber? No one was really guarding her with 3 seconds left in the game so she decided to make a gratiuitous basket. Napheesa put up a token defense, Durr made a fancy shot to score but ended up falling on her hip, apparently injuring herself. How silly was that, weeks from the post-season?
Was a very silly play by Durr. I still hope she OK tough. Classic case of flash over substance that basket gave her 20 points for the game which is all the national media will remember-that she scored 20 points against UCONN.

the Q

Reaction Score
Was a very silly play by Durr. I still hope she OK tough. Classic case of flash over substance that basket gave her 20 points for the game which is all the national media will remember-that she scored 20 points against UCONN.

Idk if she knew that. But there's a reason why people usually throw it up from the cheap seats that late.

It's a lot harder to get hurt shooting long range jumpers.

That being said, I have to point out that 3 quarters were closed out by a Louisville basket. 2 of them mostly uncontested.

Ok, now that I'm done Genoing out.

Gabby's D. The versatility....just wow.

She is the best all around in college basketball. Male. Female. Doesn't matter. No one is as well rounded as she is.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
According to Andy Landers, Louisville won the second half because Coach Walz made the correct adjustments at halftime which I guess also means that Andy doesn't think that Geno did. Hmmm.
"Won" the second half? So both UConn and Louisville get half a win? How silly. The order in which you score points doesn't matter; the final score does. UConn beat a top five team, Notre Dame, with a strong fourth quarter and defeated another top five team, Louisville, with a big first quarter. There are lots of ways to accumulate more points than the opposition...and I'm sure UConn knows every one of them.

Reaction Score
Like most here, I've read through a lot of posts in a lot of threads regarding the game. One recurring observation is that Louisville outscored UConn for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters, and from the end of UConn's early 19-0 run to the final buzzer. Of course, that is true. But I don't believe this means Louisville outplayed UConn or was the better team, during that stretch, or even during the 4th quarter. Watching the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters unfold, nobody knew that Louisville would lose by only 11 points. How did we get there? And why? Let's read history forward.

Louisville was reeling with about 5 minutes left in the first half. UConn had clearly shown, rather dramatically, that it really was the better team--playing suffocating defense, running the floor, hitting the shots, making great individual plays, great team plays, and so on. At that point, Louisville was not defeated. But they certainly knew they were playing a superior team with great players, on the road, and down 20 points before they knew what hit 'em.

It was only after this point that Louisville outscored UConn over the course of the rest of the game. In seeing that happen, you had to feel that while Louisville had a chance, it was a slight chance. As Louisville played on, the game turned into more a series of half-court offensive sequences. Sometimes, the teams would trade misses. Sometimes fouls would put players on the line. Sometimes Louisville would score, get a stop, and score again. But Uconn continued to play and find ways to score, pushing the lead back up to, say, 17 to 19. With 1:45 left in the 3Q, we lead by 22. At this point, it is safe to say that UConn was, minimally, playing even. Louisville scored 5 quick points to end 3rd quarter, cutting the lead to 17. But entering the 4Q, it seemed remote at best that Louisville would ever surmount a 17 point deficit under the conditions.

And so, the teams played out the 4Q. Louisville cut into the lead a bit at the beginning of the quarter, and then again a bit more at around the 3 minute mark. My impression is that while Louisville continued to play hard (perhaps if nothing else than to convince themselves that they can compete with UConn--which they can), everyone knew that they were not going to win this game. This partially explains the rather deliberate pace in Louisville's half-court offense. I think given the short bench, UConn used these circumstances to reserve a bit of energy, play a bit softer and safer second half. Our starters were pretty gassed by the 4th quarter; but that's partially because they played so hard to build the lead. By the 4th quarter, the objective was to hold it. No need to do more. There are still 4 games left in the regular season before heading into the post-season.

On to the next opponent.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
"Won" the second half? So both UConn and Louisville get half a win? How silly. The order in which you score points doesn't matter; the final score does. UConn beat a top five team, Notre Dame, with a strong fourth quarter and defeated another top five team, Louisville, with a big first quarter. There are lots of ways to accumulate more points than the opposition...and I'm sure UConn knows every one of them.
I agree but these analysts have to ramble on about something after each game, so this was part of Andy's take on things. I guess this goes along the lines of what some posters surmiss about the Louisville effort - they earned a moral victory over the #1 Team! So what, it is still a loss!!!! :rolleyes:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
UConn clearly took their foot off the gas.... I wonder if that was on purpose.

Why would they take the foot off the gas against Louisville and not Wichita State? I don't buy the"taking the foot off the gas" theory. But I do have to wonder if UCONN can maintain their intensity for 40 minutes after seeing UCF and Louisville both outscore them in the second half. That could cause trouble in the NCAA tourney.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom