Louisville Post-Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Louisville Post-Game Thread

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
13113617.jpeg

Official Photo Galleries are already up! UConn vs. Louisville (USATSI)

Reaction Score
The idea that there would be a different result if the game was played in LV is a feel good thought for the opposing fans, but proven by UConn to be a fallacy. South Carolina, Texas and UCLA said the same thing last year. All lost at home this year. I can recall from previous years, ND, Maryland and Baylor, with similar, "wait til we play them at home". Games might be a bit closer, but the results will likely be the same. In the end UConn only needs to win not blow out teams. UConn fans are spoiled and opposing fans always have hope. That's the way it is, and I hope, that is the way it stays.

Reaction Score
The Huskies put the game away in the first quarter, of course, with sensational shut down defense and a blitzing offense. But the cost of such extreme exertion is that they got tired again. I noticed that early in the second half, after they played two consecutive 30-second possessions on defense and then fouled or turned it over, they pretty much just let Louisville score a layup to avoid having to play a third. Smart. Fortunately, they did not have to play as much defense as they did against UCF. Waltz wanted to try to win the game, and knew that his team would have to keep up the pace to maximize their offensive possessions.

So later on I though UConn basically just started doing enough to maintain a double-digit lead. There is a trade-off to knocking your opponent out of the game early with a short bench. I actually think UConn executed their strategy quite well, with some nice points in the paint from Azura and Gabby late in the game to keep it from getting uncomfortably close. A solid win.

Last edited:

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
While not as effective as I want, Stevens was very active on the boards tonight. Had trouble finishing when she gets contact. She's a player that UConn needs if they end up facing Baylor and Miss St. She's got a short time to become the player we thought she would be at the start of the season.

I wonder if Crystal would have played in the last 4 minutes or so if the game was closer? The offense struggled down the stretch with Crystal on the bench.
I am guessing that Geno didn't appreciate Crystal continuing to shoot long distance 3s instead of running the offense and getting assists and that's why she sat.

Reaction Score
Funny, but that's not how games are decided.

Durr took 19 shots and was 3-12 on 3-pointers. Of course she's good, we knew that. But she had to work extremely hard for her shots and 3-12 on three-pointers is not a winning formula for her team. Oh, and Lou is pretty good too. In fact, Lou was better tonight.

I'm sure Louisville will take positives from this game. That's what losing teams try to do. If these teams meet again this season it won't be on Louisville's home court (last I checked) and it will be with a lot more pressure so we'll see who makes shots and who doesn't. Overall, UConn's defense was pretty good.

All that said, folks her still need to lower the expectations a bit. There's a lot of talent on this team but there's an obvious weakness in the lane. Azura isn't a strong finisher at the rim and doesn't have back-to-the-basket moves. I wish she did but she doesn't. Funny, I watched some video today of Stewie over in China and she made a couple of jump-hooks. My first thought was: why doesn't Azura have that move? The answer probably goes back a few years but maybe she can develop one by next year.

We should enjoy the tremendous success of this team while understanding that there are weaknesses that can be exposed down the road.

Overall, a good win.
Thank You UConnCat... truly a wise woman!!!

I had to chuckle when Andy Landers commented in post game that Louisville "won" the last 2 (or 3?) quarters... as you say... ALL 4 quarters have to be counted... they had a big hole to climb out of... fortunately for them they stopped digging and at least gave themselves a semblance of a chance at a comeback. And..IMHO... Lou showed why she has to be included in the NPOY conversation...definitely better than Durr tonight! Kia probably increased her chances for at least consideration for DPOY...although I can't see Gabby losing it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t think this team is as good as last year’s team The chemistry last year seemed a lot better. If I were a UConn fan Stevens would be a concern especially based on the hype on this board going into the season. I’m not a UConn follower though. Just my own observations.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
UConn clearly took their foot off the gas.... I wonder if that was on purpose.
Definetly in Q4.
Running as much clock as possible.
At halftime I was pretty confident the Huskies would get to at least 60 and Louisville would not.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
13113640.jpeg

Somebody send a pizza to Crystal's dorm suite ... maybe 2.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Love it when analysts say that a team played the better second half. Oh wait, but they still LOST!!!!!!! Head bang
So you are saying that they count both halves? :confused:

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I don’t think this team is as good as last year’s team The chemistry last year seemed a lot better. If I were a UConn fan Stevens would be a concern especially based on the hype on this board going into the season. I’m not a UConn follower though. Just my own observations.
You may be right when discussing the "team" but IMHO, the starters are waaaaay better.

Reaction Score
I don't think this was a very good game for Azura and I know it wasn't a good game for Crystal either while Napheesa had a mediocre game, at best.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
So you are saying that they count both halves? :confused:
I always thought that was how the games were played, but I could be wrong. Happens quite often.

Reaction Score
You may be right when discussing the "team" but IMHO, the starters are waaaaay better.
I agree about the starters. Our starting five look good and I don't think there is a better starting five out there. But when you sub, and even Geno has to at some point, yikes. I like the starting five being roughly the same height, 4 of the 5 can shoot the 3, they can all defend, spacing tends to very good, everyone is fast enough to run the fast break, or cut for back doors, etc. When they sub in Z everything is disrupted.

Reaction Score
I am guessing that Geno didn't appreciate Crystal continuing to shoot long distance 3s instead of running the offense and getting assists and that's why she sat.
Her shot selection left much to be desired and she didn't seem to be that concerned with getting her teammates involved. I haven't had the opportunity to see a lot of this year's Huskie games but her performance tonight left a lot to be desired!

Reaction Score
Thank You UConnCat... truly a wise woman!!!

Kia probably increased her chances for at least consideration for DPOY...although I can't see Gabby losing it.

Kia face guards and stays in front of player better while Gabby creates more turnovers, can recover better if initially beat, help defends better and obviously (defensive) rebounds better. Gabby also contributes on offense more even when guarding a tough opponent where it seems Kia does not score much (when guarding/focusing on a high scorer.) Both should be all defense though.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Did anyone notice how physical #23 was with KLS in the 2Q?
I sure think Lou noticed. She got banged around for three quarters. Tough kid.

Reaction Score
The idea that there would be a different result if the game was played in LV is a feel good thought for the opposing fans, but proven by UConn to be a fallacy. South Carolina, Texas and UCLA said the same thing last year. All lost at home this year. I can recall from previous years, ND, Maryland and Baylor, with similar, "wait til we play them at home". Games might be a bit closer, but the results will likely be the same. In the end UConn only needs to win not blow out teams. UConn fans are spoiled and opposing fans always have hope. That's the way it is, and I hope, that is the way it stays.
I'd be inclined to think that UConn's performance would have probably been better, at least in the latter part of the game. I think they had a bit of a letdown and that's pretty idiotic that Louisville automatically been better because they lost their one previous game at home, didn't they? Does that suggest that the team (mediocre) who beat them would like to play them at their respective home so they could have an even easier time beating them?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Funny, but that's not how games are decided.

Durr took 19 shots and was 3-12 on 3-pointers. Of course she's good, we knew that. But she had to work extremely hard for her shots and 3-12 on three-pointers is not a winning formula for her team. Oh, and Lou is pretty good too. In fact, Lou was better tonight.

I'm sure Louisville will take positives from this game. That's what losing teams try to do. If these teams meet again this season it won't be on Louisville's home court (last I checked) and it will be with a lot more pressure so we'll see who makes shots and who doesn't. Overall, UConn's defense was pretty good.

All that said, folks here still need to lower the expectations a bit. There's a lot of talent on this team but there's an obvious weakness in the lane. Azura isn't a strong finisher at the rim and doesn't have back-to-the-basket moves. I wish she did but she doesn't. Funny, I watched some video today of Stewie over in China and she made a couple of jump-hooks. My first thought was: why doesn't Azura have that move? The answer probably goes back a few years but maybe she can develop one by next year.

We should enjoy the tremendous success of this team while understanding that there are weaknesses that can be exposed down the road.

Overall, a good win.
Well said. I would add that there are always weaknesses but part of Geno’s genius is his ability to cover them up. Against most teams, no problem, but certain matchups or styles of play can make it more difficult.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom