Dec. 1 vs. Maryland %
Dec. 4 vs. Kentucky
Dec. 11 vs. Western Kentucky
Dec. 14 vs. South Dakota State
Dec. 16 vs. Charleston
Dec. 18 vs. Evansville
Dec. 21 at Vanderbilt
Jan. 22 at South Florida

Thoughts anyone? Doesn't look amazing and doesn't look terrible. It looks about the level of where they are. Only 2 likely Top 10 teams in there but they will play ND, Syracuse, & a decent Miami team in conference. I like that he has SD State on there and South Florida. I'm thinking about going to the SCar game, haven't decided one way or the other yet.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Interesting list. UT Martin, Middle Tenn., Bowling Green, Chattanooga, and So. Dakota St. are traditionally some of the better mid-majors and that Nov. 27 to Dec. 4 stretch is brutal.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Only 2 likely Top 10 teams in there but they will play ND, Syracuse, & a decent Miami team in conference.

Even without Bulgak, Florida St. should be pretty good again, too.

Reaction Score
Creme has them @ a pre-season #2.

LOUISVILLE WOMEN'S BASKETBALL NONCONFERENCE SCHEDULE
Nov. 11 at UT Martin
Nov. 13 vs. Belmont
Nov. 16 at Middle Tennessee State
Nov. 19 vs. Bowling Green ^
Nov. 20 vs. Lafayette ^
Nov. 21 vs. Chattanooga ^
Nov. 27 vs. South Carolina $
Dec. 1 vs. Maryland %
Dec. 4 vs. Kentucky
Dec. 16 vs. Charleston
Dec. 18 vs. Evansville
Dec. 21 at Vanderbilt
Jan. 22 at South Florida
Kind of reminds me of UConn's OOC (not!).

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Including in conference games, Walz has a good, tough, balanced schedule. I'm glad most of us Boneyarders realize every schools OOC can't be as crushing as The UConn's.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Even without Bulgak, Florida St. should be pretty good again, too.
True. Semrau is doing a good job down there. A couple years back when she got coach of the year I was hoping they would give it to her. Heck of job.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Considering the conference schedule UofL must play versus the conference schedule UConn plays, I think it would be foolish for the Cards to try to put together an OOC schedule like UConn's schedule.
I think that depends on the mentality of the coach and players. UCLA did it a couple of years ago and everyone was wondering what the heck they were thinking... now they are a top 10 team. It's not like Louisville is really struggling in the ACC. They could have threw in another couple of Top 10 teams and probably done quite well.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
It's not like Louisville is really struggling in the ACC. They could have threw in another couple of Top 10 teams and probably done quite well.

To be fair, if Louisville is a top ten team and the Cardinals are playing Maryland and South Carolina - two other top ten teams - it seems as if it is a good percentage. Louisville will play Notre Dame - another top ten team - in the ACC as well.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Creme has them @ a pre-season #2.

LOUISVILLE WOMEN'S BASKETBALL NONCONFERENCE SCHEDULE
Nov. 11 at UT Martin
Nov. 13 vs. Belmont
Nov. 16 at Middle Tennessee State
Nov. 19 vs. Bowling Green ^
Nov. 20 vs. Lafayette ^
Nov. 21 vs. Chattanooga ^
Nov. 27 vs. South Carolina $
Dec. 1 vs. Maryland %
Dec. 4 vs. Kentucky
Dec. 16 vs. Charleston
Dec. 18 vs. Evansville
Dec. 21 at Vanderbilt
Jan. 22 at South Florida

Thoughts anyone? Doesn't look amazing and doesn't look terrible. It looks about the level of where they are. Only 2 likely Top 10 teams in there but they will play ND, Syracuse, & a decent Miami team in conference. I like that he has SD State on there and South Florida. I'm thinking about going to the SCar game, haven't decided one way or the other yet.

I actually believe that South Dakota State will be the 3rd-toughest game on this OOC schedule. SDSU came on strong late last season, won its conference tournament over a very good USD team, and came within a whisker of beating Stanford in Palo Alto and reaching the Sweet 16. And if I remember correctly, they lost no one significant to graduation.

ETA: I just checked Kentucky's roster online and it only has 8 players, including one incoming freshman. They do have one great player (Epps) and another with immense potential (Akhator), but still, I can't see Kentucky getting by with such a short roster if they want to do any better than middle of the pack.

South Florida has been gutted by graduation (Williams, Jenkins, Stringfield). Ferreira and Laksa are not going to carry a team to greatness. This year is a major rebuilding project for Coach Fernandez, to put it mildly.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
And if I remember correctly, they lost no one significant to graduation.

It looks like they went 8 deep last year. They lose two of their top 3 bench players but retain all 5 starters. So yep they should be pretty good again.

Reaction Score
It looks like they went 8 deep last year. They lose two of their top 3 bench players but retain all 5 starters. So yep they should be pretty good again.

Anyone know what the latest count is in terms of Louisville players? They seem to have recruited a bunch, and lost a bunch to transfer. Impossible to keep track!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Anyone know what the latest count is in terms of Louisville players? They seem to have recruited a bunch, and lost a bunch to transfer. Impossible to keep track!

It appears to be 15, but one is a walk-on. Walz must like having the full 15 if he is taking on a 5'2 walk-on.

JordyG

Reaction Score
The problem with Walz's teams the last few years has been how majorly they've under achieved, especially considering how well he's recruited. However, over recruiting previously at the 1 and 2 then recruiting well at forward and the post this year may well pay off. A great recruiter and a good coach who frankly needs success at The Big Boogie not to get the stigma of overrated. I'm pulling for him.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Generally, I like Walz and I root for Louisville to succeed.. a very similar school to SC.. but I'm looking forward to being in the building for what's hopefully a Gamecock win on November 27th.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Considering the conference schedule UofL must play versus the conference schedule UConn plays, I think it would be foolish for the Cards to try to put together an OOC schedule like UConn's schedule.
You can try and hide behind that ACC schedule if you want. For one year before moving to ACC Louisville was in the same conference as UCONN. What did Louisville's OC schedule look like that year (2013-14 season) compared to UCONN's? UCONN is gonna run with the big dogs regardless of the conference they are in. Louisville, MD, Stanford, Baylor seems to be much more selective about running with the big dogs.

Reaction Score
Yes, Coach Walz's last three classes, including the incoming freshmen, have been very good, top ten classes in fact. His previous seven years he had nothing approaching these classes. He got to the two championship games against UConn with teams not stocked with final four type players. Angel McCountry was not that heavily recruited and Shoni was not a McD AA. Up until Hines-Allen he had recruited only one McD AA, Sarah Nord. Our other McD AA was a transfer. Thus, I think it unfair to to say his teams have under achieved. A year of heavy injuries and last season were probably the only two years he had teams under achieve.

Yes, he now has six McD AAs and two of them are juniors so I think you can now expect more from him. We do. But, again, I think you're taking his recent recruiting success and suggesting he's had this kind of talent previously. He has not. Getting to the two championship games with what he had was a big over achievement, especially with the team beating Maryland, Tennessee, Baylor and California before losing to UConn in '13.

BTW, your coach has a lot more respect for Coach Walz than you appear to have.

The problem with Walz's teams the last few years has been how majorly they've under achieved, especially considering how well he's recruited. However, over recruiting previously at the 1 and 2 then recruiting well at forward and the post this year may well pay off. A great recruiter and a good coach who frankly needs success at The Big Boogie not to get the stigma of overrated. I'm pulling for him.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Kind of reminds me of UConn's OOC (not!).
UConn has no choice be to have a strong OOC schedule cause the conference is full of cupcakes

JordyG

Reaction Score
Yes, Coach Walz's last three classes, including the incoming freshmen, have been very good, top ten classes in fact. His previous seven years he had nothing approaching these classes. He got to the two championship games against UConn with teams not stocked with final four type players. Angel McCountry was not that heavily recruited and Shoni was not a McD AA. Up until Hines-Allen he had recruited only one McD AA, Sarah Nord. Our other McD AA was a transfer. Thus, I think it unfair to to say his teams have under achieved. A year of heavy injuries and last season were probably the only two years he had teams under achieve.

Yes, he now has six McD AAs and two of them are juniors so I think you can now expect more from him. We do. But, again, I think you're taking his recent recruiting success and suggesting he's had this kind of talent previously. He has not. Getting to the two championship games with what he had was a big over achievement, especially with the team beating Maryland, Tennessee, Baylor and California before losing to UConn in '13.

Despite what you've said I'm still pulling for him. By the way, he over achieved with lesser teams. So now with far better talent for 3 straight years he's what, found his own level?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UConn has no choice be to have a strong OOC schedule cause the conference is full of cupcakes
I not sure I agree with that-"UCONN has no choice". The tougher teams that are on UCONN OOC today (e.g.. Baylor, MD) are teams for the most part that they have been playing when UCONN had ND and Louisville were in the same conference and matching up 2-3 times per year. It is a little disingenuous to hear a Louisville fan say they can't play a tougher OOC schedule because they are now in the might ACC. Also disappointing to hear a Duke fan cosign this when it was Duke that opted out of the series with UCONN. Thank goodness that an ACC school like FSU will actually man up and play UCONN because that ACC schedule must be mighty taxing! :D

Reaction Score
Agreed that schools need to play a balanced schedule for a variety of reasons. What I question is the argument that frontloading virtually all cream puffs is okay because the later conference schedule is challenging. The rational for that would be to bring the team along slowly, build momentum and improvement (as well as national rankings) before hitting the hard part. But I think you need to put some hard games in during the first half too, because, if you aren't tested early and see how much you need to improve, it's more difficult to motivate a team to reach its fullest potential. Once conference play begins, a lot happens quickly, and better to get the full gauge of your team before then. A few early loses isn't necessarily a bad thing--as UConn may well discover this year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Agreed that schools need to play a balanced schedule for a variety of reasons. What I question is the argument that frontloading virtually all cream puffs is okay because the later conference schedule is challenging. The rational for that would be to bring the team along slowly, build momentum and improvement (as well as national rankings) before hitting the hard part. But I think you need to put some hard games in during the first half too, because, if you aren't tested early and see how much you need to improve, it's more difficult to motivate a team to reach its fullest potential. Once conference play begins, a lot happens quickly, and better to get the full gauge of your team before then. A few early loses isn't necessarily a bad thing--as UConn may well discover this year.
Coming off two consecutive final four appearance Maryland frontloaded with nearly all cream puffs last year. By the time they got around to playing a Non-cream puff (UCONN) they played well but a tougher challenge earlier in the season might have gotten them over the hump. instead MD went out of their way to schedule MD Eastern Shore (76 point win) as the game right before playing UCONN.

Reaction Score

I agree. He has an excellent eye for under-the-radar talent. Indeed, when asked which player who did not attend UConn he would have liked to coach, Coach Geno responded, "Angel McCoughtry." Walk is a very fine coach, one of the best in the country. Unlike C. Viv or South Carolina, he outperforms with the talent he has, while the others underperform. Compared with Walz, the other two are chronically offensively challenged.

But he now over-recruits, he stockpiles kids, and that has to hurt going forward. Coach Geno under-recruits, but uses everyone he can, and gives everyone on the bench every opportunity to develop and perform. This coming year or two will be the first years in decades in which he will have a lot of superb players on the bench. In remarks a few weeks ago, he acknowledged that it could be a balancing act, and, if memory serves, said, "We'll see how it goes."

But in contrast, Walz just goes out and promises everyone everything. So if Orangutan is correct, even after several defections, Louisville will begin the season with fifteen bodies on its bench. Whether that's wise or not, it's certainly not fair to those players.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Suffice it to say that if UConn were in the ACC, their OOC schedule would look similar to Louisville's for the same reason. :rolleyes:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I agree. He has an excellent eye for under-the-radar talent. Indeed, when asked which player who did not attend UConn he would have liked to coach, Coach Geno responded, "Angel McCoughtry." Walk is a very fine coach, one of the best in the country. Unlike C. Viv or South Carolina, he outperforms with the talent he has, while the others underperform. Compared with Walz, the other two are chronically offensively challenged.

Say what you want about SC's offense (it's not 100% pretty, but this is an overblown assessment here), it has it's issues at times.. but still, you say this as if SC has a trend of underachievement the last 3 or 4 years. The past season is the first underperforming season SC has had in a while.. and that's only because they didn't make it to the final four by losing to a Syracuse team that they should've beaten. Other than that.. they swept their conference, winning the regular and tournament title and their first loss was to UCONN and the second was to the team that played UCONN for the title.

Prior to 2016, SC has performed at or (usually) above their talent level. Shame on Aja Wilson, Alaina Coates and Tiffany Mitchell and that 5 person senior class chock full of McDonald's All-Americans for not being able to wrestle the last two championships from Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuck and Moriah Jefferson. Shame indeed.

SC not making it to the final four again this season would be underperforming and worthy of your concern.. sure, I would agree... but having a 96-10 record the last three years with the majority of your elite talent being underclassmen is NOT underachieving.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS