Louisville Moves to 3rd in Poll | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Louisville Moves to 3rd in Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They don't get enough love because they haven't played and beaten enough good teams. If they were to go undefeated in the SEC the rest of the way and win the SEC tournament they will be in the running for a #1, but that's a tall order. They still have to play at Kentucky, LSU and Tennessee. I think a loss to any of those probably ends their chances for a #1 and even if they did win out a lot would still depend upon what happens in the ACC and B12. Duke is hanging by a thread but they aren't out of it yet. If they could knock off ND and UNC and win the ACC they have a legit claim to a #1. (Frankly, I don't think they will win either game and will end up a #2) In the end, SC may pay a price for the cupcake schedule they played out of conference.

I'd like to pose the following hypothetical...suppose UConn beats Louisville at Louisville and again in the AAC tournament and Louisville finishes at 30-4 going into the NCAA...does the tournament committee give them a #1 seed with 4 losses when 3 are to UConn?
Well, last year UConn lost 4 games 3 to Notre Dame, and got a #1, and I don't believe last year's Notre Dame team was better then this year's UConn team. Notre Dame won when Stewie wasn't playing well, and Moriah was still just a freshmen, Stewie, Moriah have gotten much better this year, makes this a better team.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
There are multiple teams that may be the third best team in any given week. One and two are set.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
There are multiple teams that may be the third best team in any given week. One and two are set.
So you've changed your tune on Notre Dame? When did you begin to consider them set at #2? I recall you expressed misgivings a few weeks ago.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
So you've changed your tune on Notre Dame? When did you begin to consider them set at #2? I recall you expressed misgivings a few weeks ago.
That is very unfair, as no one should be held accountable for anything they posted more than a day ago. Hell, the BY has some posters who repudiate everything they just said two minutes ago on the previous page of a game thread.

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Louisville is not the 3rd best team.
Oh, oh, deja vu all over again. That's exactly what a lot of posters were saying last year after the final poll came out with Lville as the 3rd beat team.

Reaction Score
I'd like to pose the following hypothetical...suppose UConn beats Louisville at Louisville and again in the AAC tournament and Louisville finishes at 30-4 going into the NCAA...does the tournament committee give them a #1 seed with 4 losses when 3 are to UConn?

This is a great question. I think yes. After last year with UConns multiple losses to ND, they came out on top in the NC.
Louisville may be the best prepared, by experience and passion, to be the ones to take it to UConn in the end. Not that I agree, but the committee has precedent in leaving LV at a #1 with three losses to UConn. However if they fall to a lower rank team before then all bets are off.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I understand your confusion

First he said

"I am discussing ND...you are wanting to discuss Baylor. IMO, Notre Dame has not played a high quality opponent and therefore should not be number 2."

Then, just a few minutes later he posted

"Just my opinion. They may be the second best team in the nation, but we don't know how they stack up yet until they play a team of high quality."

Now that they have played some top teams and won, he thinks they should be #2.

It's called changing your mind based on actual results. I have done the same thing with ND. They are certainly better than I thought they would be. Their bench, mostly Mabrey, is better than I thought they would be too.

Reaction Score
ND is earning respect. I didn't think they'd make it through last week unbeaten.
Good work ND. See you in the NC.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
That is very unfair, as no one should be held accountable for anything they posted more than a day ago. Hell, the BY has some posters who repudiate everything the just said two minutes ago on the previous page of a game thread.

Let me be the first to repudiate some things I'm going to say tomorrow.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Actually you don't have to Phil. I've already deleted them.
Well wait a minute. What about my scathing critique of Phil's future self-repudiated comments. "Phil, that was the most deletable thing you have said in all your years on the BY."

Does that get to stay?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Does anyone find it odd that in Tuesday's poll, Duke lost to the 10th-ranked team and dropped to 7th, while Stanford lost to an unranked team and is still ranked 5th, ahead of Duke? That math doesn't quite work out, at least in my head.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well wait a minute. What about my scathing critique of Phil's future self-repudiated comments. "Phil, that was the most deletable thing you have said in all your years on the BY."

Does that get to stay?
Give it your all and then I'll do my best to ridicule it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Does anyone find it odd that in Tuesday's poll, Duke lost to the 10th-ranked team and dropped to 7th, while Stanford lost to an unranked team and is still ranked 5th, ahead of Duke? That math doesn't quite work out, at least in my head.
I think this reflects an accumulation of doubt over the course of the year -
1. First battle of the #1 and #2 teams in december results in a blow out home loss - OK, Uconn is really good and they are beating up on everybody - forgivable.
2. Battle of the top two teams in the ACC results in a blow out loss again at home! - OK, ND is obviously the second best team in the country - hmmm, maybe Duke isn't quite that good, they had some close calls they probably should have won easily.
3. Battle of North Carolina results in a blow out loss at HOME!!! - Uh, Oh - UNC is respectable but come on - if Duke was really any good they should have beaten that group of freshman. And what about all those less than convincing wins against mediocre teams?!

For Stanford - Well that is Odd! - they must have had an off day - they have taken care of business against everyone else but Uconn.

(If Stanford were to lose again, they will plummet, but not for a single bad day. Same will be true for Baylor and South Carolina, and for Louisville or Duke if they lose to teams not named ND or Uconn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom