Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Wichita State makes the rankings. don't think we've discussed them much.

Reaction Score
I think it is a reflection of being 2-2 against ranked teams (and not top 10 teams) - Ws against Vandy (16/20) and KY (18/18) and losses to A&M (14/14) and UNC (17/13) and playing in what people are seeing as a pretty mediocre SEC.

SC has beat Vandy twice.

Louisville has only beat one ranked team all season. Baylor also has three wins vs. top-25 opponents, but Kansas and probably Kentucky are worse losses than either of South Carolina's.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The SEC & ACC are the two most balanced WBB conferences. IMHO the ACC has the stronger teams but the SEC has the higher Conference RPI. IMHO if South Carolina goes undefeated and wins the SEC they'll get the 4th #1 seed over Louisville and Baylor. If they lose to the Lady Vols, then I wouldn't be surprised to see Baylor get the 4th #1 seed, providing they go undefeated.

I think it is a reflection of being 2-2 against ranked teams (and not top 10 teams) - Ws against Vandy (16/20) and KY (18/18) and losses to A&M (14/14) and UNC (17/13) and playing in what people are seeing as a pretty mediocre SEC.

Reaction Score
IMO not legitimate if RU's not even in "receiving votes"!?! Heck for yrs RU was ranked just because their Rutgers in WBB even when undeserved. A couple off yrs and perception changes....karma I guess?

Reaction Score
UNC (18-6) moved up to #10. I could see them moving up to the #6-#8 range by the end of the season and present significant challenges for higher ranked teams in the NCAA tournament. Could be a final 8 team. And they'll only get better next season.

Reaction Score
UNC (18-6) moved up to #10. I could see them moving up to the #6-#8 range by the end of the season and present significant challenges for higher ranked teams in the NCAA tournament. Could be a final 8 team. And they'll only get better next season.
Didnt Cuse recently beat them on the road by 20?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
SC has beat Vandy twice.

Louisville has only beat one ranked team all season. Baylor also has three wins vs. top-25 opponents, but Kansas and probably Kentucky are worse losses than either of South Carolina's.
The same Vandy team that has now lost 3 out of 4 losing to unranked Missouri (14-10 record) and by 27 to Tennessee? Big deal.

Reaction Score
The same Vandy team that has now lost 3 out of 4 losing to unranked Missouri (14-10 record) and by 27 to Tennessee? Big deal.

Because beating Oklahoma State, whose best win is against 25th-ranked Michigan State, is such a big accomplishment...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That's what happened to Baylor also: we beat them and they moved up in the polls. It's an amazing endorsement of UConn: you lose to us by fewer than 20 points and the voters reward you with a higher ranking.

That is not accurate. Baylor lost tot to UCONN then lost to Kansas before the rankings came out and dropped from 7 to 12.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Baylor at 4. I like it! And to think, they were not even a top 25 in the opinion of some.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Because beating Oklahoma State, whose best win is against 25th-ranked Michigan State, is such a big accomplishment...
Did I post about Oklahoma State? I think the Big 12 is overrated. Never mentioned Louisville either.

I'm glad you didn't try to counter my comment on Vandy by actually talking about Vandy. Much more fun when you lash out illogically.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Baylor at 4. I like it! And to think, they were not even a top 25 in the opinion of some.
No, you are not allowed to pull that kind of crap over here again unless you throw in lots of smilie buttons. Back at the UConn-Baylor game you pulled that stuff out of your backside with as little relation to reality. The worst you would find for your "some" is maybe someone who will say that they're not in the top 10, and even he would have to be a little RipVW-ish.

The SEC is rated 3rd in Sagarin behind the B12 and ACC, and it is not a strong conference. Rutgers is rated in around the mid-30s in Sagarin and Massey, so not getting any votes is not a huge overlook. Should definitely be a tourney pick at this point though.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
That is not accurate. Baylor lost tot to UCONN then lost to Kansas before the rankings came out and dropped from 7 to 12.

I guess my memory is slipping. Going back over the polls, Penn State, Stanford and Maryland all kept the same ranking in one or both of the polls after losing to us, and as we know Louisville gained. But you're right. Baylor fell.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did I post about Oklahoma State? I think the Big 12 is overrated. Never mentioned Louisville either.

Well, I did. So if you weren't diminishing SC's wins against Vandy in an attempt to strengthen Baylor's or Louisville's case for being ranked ahead of SC, I'm not sure why you felt the need to comment on my post. Not that I am at all surprised.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well, I did. So if you weren't diminishing SC's wins against Vandy in an attempt to strengthen Baylor's or Louisville's case for being ranked ahead of SC, I'm not sure why you felt the need to comment on my post. Not that I am at all surprised.

I don't know why you felt the need to reply to UcMiami's post.

Wait, I know....IT'S A MESSAGE BOARD.

Reaction Score

They don't get enough love because they haven't played and beaten enough good teams. If they were to go undefeated in the SEC the rest of the way and win the SEC tournament they will be in the running for a #1, but that's a tall order. They still have to play at Kentucky, LSU and Tennessee. I think a loss to any of those probably ends their chances for a #1 and even if they did win out a lot would still depend upon what happens in the ACC and B12. Duke is hanging by a thread but they aren't out of it yet. If they could knock off ND and UNC and win the ACC they have a legit claim to a #1. (Frankly, I don't think they will win either game and will end up a #2) In the end, SC may pay a price for the cupcake schedule they played out of conference.

I'd like to pose the following hypothetical...suppose UConn beats Louisville at Louisville and again in the AAC tournament and Louisville finishes at 30-4 going into the NCAA...does the tournament committee give them a #1 seed with 4 losses when 3 are to UConn?

Reaction Score
Has anyone looked at South Carolina and Baylor's non conference schedules? They didn't beat a single decent team. Carolina's best win is Southern Cal and Baylor's is Ole Miss. I think that is a fair point seeing the major criticism of Louisville is their weak conference. Well even in conference Louisville has to play the best team in the country 3 times.

USC and Baylor get into conference play and beat up a lot of decent but not great teams and that means they are better than Louisville? Did ya'll miss what Louisville did last tournament? Same team, year older, better.

Louisville did not play a great non conference schedule yet still has 4 better wins than Carolina and Baylor- LSU, Oklahoma, Florida State, and Colorado. Why should Louisville be punished because greed and college football weakened their league? They have proven themselves. If they play UConn tough I would count that as more impressive than beating Oklahoma State or Vanderbilt. They are the only team in the country with the misfortune of having to play UConn 3 times. Yet will finish with same amount of losses as most of the teams they are competing with for the 1 seed.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'd like to pose the following hypothetical...suppose UConn beats Louisville at Louisville and again in the AAC tournament and Louisville finishes at 30-4 going into the NCAA...does the tournament committee give them a #1 seed with 4 losses when 3 are to UConn?

Well, last year Uconn lost only 4 games and 3 were to ND.

Their other loss was to Baylor, so it's different than UL this year, but it is similar.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
It looks as if the committee is going to have to maybe seed UConn and ND 1, and then just pick names out of a hat for the other 1s and all the 2s.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Pick Baylor!

Baylor has wins over OSU twice, WVU, OU and Texas. Their wins are no less impressive than Louisville's just because they occurred in conference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Has anyone looked at South Carolina and Baylor's non conference schedules? They didn't beat a single decent team. Carolina's best win is Southern Cal and Baylor's is Ole Miss. I think that is a fair point seeing the major criticism of Louisville is their weak conference. Well even in conference Louisville has to play the best team in the country 3 times.

USC and Baylor get into conference play and beat up a lot of decent but not great teams and that means they are better than Louisville? Did ya'll miss what Louisville did last tournament? Same team, year older, better.

Louisville did not play a great non conference schedule yet still has 4 better wins than Carolina and Baylor- LSU, Oklahoma, Florida State, and Colorado.

Both Vandy and Kentucky have beat LSU. That's still a big win, but those others teams aren't anything special. Southern Cal, for instance, is a much better team than Colorado.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't really care about conference RPI or ratings because most of that depends not on the top teams but on the middle and lower teams. When talking about top seeds the conference strength is really immaterial and looking at the Big12, the Big10 and the SEC - generally those teams are all laying eggs in conference play. Baylor and SC have one blemish each - if they can get through the conference tournament without laying another then they are very worthy of consideration for #1 seeds. But they will not be playing any games against other teams with really legitimate resumes for consideration as a #1 seed so any loss has to be considered an egg.
Louisville may in fact lose two more games - if they do, it will be to the #1 overall seed and as long as they don't look really terrible in doing so, those losses would not be considered egg laying. (If they lose to anyone else then they will no longer be a #1 seed unless everyone else falls apart as well.)
Duke just laid its first egg. They too may lose 2 more games to the #2 overall seed but those would not be eggs either - if they lose to anyone else it probably puts paid to any chance of a #1 seed.
Stanford is probably done losing for the year having just laid their first egg. If they win out they will get a #1 seed. If they lose again it opens another window for another team to be given a #1 but they have to earn it by winning out I think except to Uconn or ND.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom