OT: - Louisville, Maryland, and ND all lose | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Louisville, Maryland, and ND all lose

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
North Carolina appears to be a sleeper team which is a real contender this year.
UNC is not a legit contender. UNC has only played 2 top 20 teams so far this season (ND and NCSt.) They got hammered by NCst. , got beat by ND and more importantly barely beat BC an unranked team. UNC best win on the season so far is against Virginia Tech, but Virginia Tech is currently ahead of UNC in the ACC standings.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
North Carolina appears to be a sleeper team which is a real contender this year.

2012280815550102.jpg

Reaction Score
Looking at all these games, a common thread is that 1-2 good players had outstanding games. Appears that Geno recognizes the growth in offensive talent with most of our upcoming recruits having strong offensive AND defensive skills.
IMO, it looks like "quickness", in addition to the talent,
skill, experience against top notch players tells the tale of
the 1 or 2 position player. Notably the comment about
Diamond Johnson "learning" her toughness on the
playgrounds of Philly. = " no fouls were called"!!

Reaction Score
I watched several of those games yesterday. Louisville defense was poor especially in the 4th. Couldn't help but notice the Hailey Van Lith sat a lot the 4th when you would expect her to shine as she turned over the ball too much.I still think UConn without Paige or Azzi should have beaten LV if they had a day or 2 more to get ready. NCST did not impress me until Diamond got hot. At that point LV had a 4th quarter too much like a couple UConn had this year.I've yet to see a complete team that seems unbeatable by a full UConn squad if that ever happens.

BTW for those of you who think/thought CW should sit. You got your wish. How is that working out for you. I don't like the ball movement with her on the floor but also don't like the lack of defense and points when she isn't.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
BTW for those of you who think/thought CW should sit. You got your wish. How is that working out for you. I don't like the ball movement with her on the floor but also don't like the lack of defense and points when she isn't.
That's entirely unfair. None of the people that were advocating for CW should sit were wishing her to be ill and not available at all. CW had a stretch of bad games and many were fairly advocated her coming out of the starting line up. As far as how it is working out, the answer is not very well because Nika and Caroline had to play 40 Mins against Oregon and Evina played 38. Caroline has made the most of her minutes but Evina and Nika are also both struggling. CW illness was not a good thing for "us" as UCONN fans. Are you with "us"?

Reaction Score
That's what made it such a wild game to watch. And why complete game stats are sometimes worthless. Cunane was almost invisible in the first half and Johnson couldn't hit anything. Then, with what seemed like the flip of a mental switch, it all came together. Couple of threes, couple of turnovers, couple of rebounds and it was over.
That 4th quarter illustrated how outside shooting helps everything else. NC State started hitting threes, so L'ville couldnt pack the inside on defense, which opened things up for drives to the hoop and/or "penetrate and dish". Making their shots enabled NCSt to get back and set up their defense, which made things more difficult for L'ville. Fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Another example of stats having way too much importance in the minds of people trying to determine who really is good and who really isn’t. Especially this year.
It’s part of the NET ranking. So it’s not the minds of people. It’s a computer algorithm.

For me, strength of schedule also matters when the brain ranks teams. UNC’s is weak

Reaction Score
That's what made it such a wild game to watch. And why complete game stats are sometimes worthless. Cunane was almost invisible in the first half and Johnson couldn't hit anything. Then, with what seemed like the flip of a mental switch, it all came together. Couple of threes, couple of turnovers, couple of rebounds and it was over.
Stats are like bikinis- they show a lot, but they don’t show everything

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Diamond “Vinnie” Johnson the microwave of Women‘s Basketball
She's streaky but darn near unstoppable when she gets hot. I think she gives NC State a spark plug that's blends in well with the rest of her teammates and could elevate the program to being a major title threat. The 2020 HS class is ridiculously good and deep considering Johnson is barely spoken about compared to the likes of Bueckers and Clark.

Reaction Score
I watched several of those games yesterday. Louisville defense was poor especially in the 4th. Couldn't help but notice the Hailey Van Lith sat a lot the 4th when you would expect her to shine as she turned over the ball too much.I still think UConn without Paige or Azzi should have beaten LV if they had a day or 2 more to get ready. NCST did not impress me until Diamond got hot. At that point LV had a 4th quarter too much like a couple UConn had this year.I've yet to see a complete team that seems unbeatable by a full UConn squad if that ever happens.

I'm not one that thought CW should sit, but you don't think Uconn would've beaten Oregon if they had some time to practice without her?

Reaction Score
That's what made it such a wild game to watch. And why complete game stats are sometimes worthless. Cunane was almost invisible in the first half
Invisible except for 10 points, 7 rebounds, and a block in the first three quarters, while Johnson was 1-10.

Johnson hit three-pointers at 7:58 (to cut the lead to 9) and 5:41 (to put NC State up 2). In the intervening two minutes or so, Cunane had a block, two defensive rebounds, a three-point play, an offensive rebound off Johnson's miss, and an assist on Johnson's second three-pointer.

Reaction Score
NC State is the sleeper team. They are a final four team potentially and anyone can get hot and win a game or 2 if they get in the mix at the end.

I don't think we would have beaten Oregon, on their home turf, if we had a few more days to practice without Christin. It would have been a close game maybe with her available. If Christin and Azzi I think we probably had an edge.

Reaction Score
From my viewpoint Cunane was NC State's best player: 15 pts and 12 rebounds on 4-7 shooting (Johnson was 6-19) and 7-7 from the line.
If Caroline had gone 6 for 19 it would have been a wave of criticism. 6 for 19 is not good.

Reaction Score
South Carolina is heads and shoulders above everyone right now. I don't see them getting knocked off easily but if they do it will because they have a bad day shooting 3 pointers. Cooke especially, can go south in any given game.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If Caroline had gone 6 for 19 it would have been a wave of criticism. 6 for 19 is not good.
True but if 4 or 5 were made during a memorable 4th quarter comeback, well...

Reaction Score
NC State is the sleeper team. They are a final four team potentially and anyone can get hot and win a game or 2 if they get in the mix at the end.

I don't think we would have beaten Oregon, on their home turf, if we had a few more days to practice without Christin. It would have been a close game maybe with her available. If Christin and Azzi I think we probably had an edge.
“Team that has been in top 5 all year is sleeper”

Reaction Score
It’s part of the NET ranking. So it’s not the minds of people. It’s a computer algorithm.

For me, strength of schedule also matters when the brain ranks teams. UNC’s is weak
But statistics are part of the NET ranking and people are using the NET ranking to determine who really is good and who really isn't. I just think people put too much stock in statistics as a measure of a team, or a player for that matter.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
“Team that has been in top 5 all year is sleeper”

I know someone who agrees that State is a sleeper team, but wasn't sure if a top 3 team can qualify as a sleeper.

Reaction Score
Invisible except for 10 points, 7 rebounds, and a block in the first three quarters, while Johnson was 1-10.

Johnson hit three-pointers at 7:58 (to cut the lead to 9) and 5:41 (to put NC State up 2). In the intervening two minutes or so, Cunane had a block, two defensive rebounds, a three-point play, an offensive rebound off Johnson's miss, and an assist on Johnson's second three-pointer.
I said Cunane was almost invisible in the first half. I would say the majority of those stats you're quoting for her came in the third quarter. And besides, one's presence in the game is determined by more than just a stat line.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm just saying some of us aren't potentially aware that NC State is right there in the mix at the end. We think of Stanford, SC, Uconn, Louisville, Tennessee etc... but there are lots of good teams this year. Texas is better than a lot of people might know. They crushed supposed #6 Iowa state the other day and beat Stanford earlier in the year.

Reaction Score
I'm just saying some of us aren't potentially aware that NC State is right there in the mix at the end. We think of Stanford, SC, Uconn, Louisville, Tennessee etc... but there are lots of good teams this year. Texas is better than a lot of people might know. They crushed supposed #6 Iowa state the other day and beat Stanford earlier in the year.
Didn't Ashley Joens sit out the Iowa State vs Texas game? If
so,, and I think so,, that would make a difference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom