Louisville and Huskies Play Dec. 4 | The Boneyard

Louisville and Huskies Play Dec. 4

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
At Mohegan Sun. ESPN got its way.

I agree with the observation Oldude made recently that Louisville will be a better game/matchup this year for UConn than Notre Dame would have been, plus this game is at the Mohegan Sun Arena. I believe the ND game was scheduled to be in South Bend.

“We are thrilled to continue our rivalry with UConn,” Louisville head coach Jeff Walz said in a release.
The two teams haven’t met since the 2018-19 season when the No. 2 Huskies eliminated the No. 1 Cardinals in the Elite Eight. UConn will also play Baylor and Tennessee on the road as well as South Carolina at Gampel Pavilion, though dates for those games were not announced. I Can't wait to see the final complete schedule.

The Hartford Courant's report on this story

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In the Hays ESPN article, Some legal gimmickry justifying UConn able to schedule up to 27 games. :eek:

A UConn spokesperson said that because the program had been approved to schedule 29 games and a two-game multiteam event before the new COVID-related reductions, it was told that it needed to reduce its original schedule by four games, also per the Division I Council ruling and superseding the 23/25 maximums. That means UConn could, in theory, still schedule an additional nonconference game that would push its schedule to 27 games.

Reaction Score
In the Hays ESPN article, Some legal gimmickry justifying UConn able to schedule up to 27 games. :eek:

A UConn spokesperson said that because the program had been approved to schedule 29 games and a two-game multiteam event before the new COVID-related reductions, it was told that it needed to reduce its original schedule by four games, also per the Division I Council ruling and superseding the 23/25 maximums. That means UConn could, in theory, still schedule an additional nonconference game that would push its schedule to 27 games.

Does the NCAA head know about this? :eek:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Definitely brings the clarity of muddy water to the whole scheduling limit issue.

So the 23/25 maximums are still in effect overall but in UConn's case are superseded because UConn had previously received some kind of special approval from the NCAA to schedule 29 plus an MTE? Which, IIRC, would have been 2 games over the previous limit of 27+MTE or 29 total.

I'm curious as to how UConn was able to secure this special approval.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The 11 PM NBC Local News sports reporter stated that UConn WCBB had finalized its OOC schedule, though all of the dates are not determined. As I recall the broadcast (about 30 minutes ago), they said:

Quinnipiac @ Mohegan Sun 11/28
Miss St @ Mohegan Sun (I presume this is contingent on both UConn and the Bulldogs winning their prior game)
Louisville @ Mohegan Sun 12/4

Other games settled but with dates TBD:

@ Baylor
@ Tennessee
South Carolina at home

That is a heck of an OOC schedule for this unusual year, in my opinion.

Reaction Score
As a Louisville fan, I'm glad to see this. Wish the teams played every season.

I know that December 4 is about 45 days away, and things can change quickly, but what are the current rules in Connecticut regarding fan attendance?

Reaction Score
Does anyone find it so odd that ESPN is doing this since our conference is now under a contract with Fox? I would've thought they wouldn't want anything to do with us.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Does anyone find it so odd that ESPN is doing this since our conference is now under a contract with Fox? I would've thought they wouldn't want anything to do with us.

UConn is UConn. They want any piece of WCBB, they will want to televise UConn (and Paige Bueckers) games. And Geno vs Walz

Now when ESPN works on a DePaul game, then I will be surprised.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The Big East has been with Fox for several years now. UConn's conference didn't switch networks; UConn is just switching conferences. Not seeing how that should trigger a boycott from ESPN.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Definitely brings the clarity of muddy water to the whole scheduling limit issue.

So the 23/25 maximums are still in effect overall but in UConn's case are superseded because UConn had previously received some kind of special approval from the NCAA to schedule 29 plus an MTE? Which, IIRC, would have been 2 games over the previous limit of 27+MTE or 29 total.

I'm curious as to how UConn was able to secure this special approval.

How was UConn able to secure this special approval? Why Geno used forged Notre Dame stationary.

Reaction Score
This is one reason (of many) that I love UConn women's basketball. Instead of measuring themselves with a 2" stick (like many other programs do when scheduling RPI 300+ OOC games) UConn uses the 10' pole of top 10 teams to see where they stand.

Reaction Score
Really looking forward to this matchup. Should be a really good game. Both teams have some nice pieces that will be fun to watch. I can't wait!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ha careful, Maria Cornelius will think you're serious and prepare another 50-page complaint package.
No doubt replete with accusations of Stewie and Sue (just to change things up) giving Azzi Fudd a ride to McDonalds on the way to tour of the Mark Twain house.

Reaction Score
Can anyone speak to the issue as to whether or not this will be a competitive game. And where will the advantages and disadvantages will be for UConn. This may be premature but some of you folks who live for detail may see things on paper better than others.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Can anyone speak to the issue as to whether or not this will be a competitive game. And where will the advantages and disadvantages will be for UConn. This may be premature but some of you folks who live for detail may see things on paper better than others.
ESPN's way too early rankings have us at #4 and LV at #5. CBS has us at #2 and LV at #8. Should be a game of two of the 2020-21 wbb titans and both have really dynamic freshman point guards - the good guys have Paige Bueckers and LV has Hailey Von Lith. Should be a great match up.

Reaction Score
My best guess at this (given that both teams bring in a lot of freshmen) is that UConn has the post advantage given ONO produces at least as well as she did last year—unless Louisville’s Elizabeth Dixon steps up BIG this year. She’s capable of it from looking at her freshman year at Georgia Tech, but didn’t really seem to find her footing last year behind Shook. I don’t know much about the other post players for Louisville so I can’t speak on that, but if Griffin gets some time at the 4/5 I’m sure UConn will be forcing the opposing big to guard her off the bounce from the ft line area. If Edwards and/or Gabriel can give even just a few meaningful minutes (rebounds, screens, scoring would be great but no expected, etc.) UConn has a real advantage in my mind. Dana Evans will likely be Louisville’s leading scorer and possibly their best/go-to player—again unless someone else steps up (my guess for other potentially good/great players this year: Dixon, Balogun, Hailey Van Lith, or Kianna Smith). Overall, though, UConn probably has the guard advantage, too, with any combo of Williams, Westbrook, and Makurat. Add in Bueckers (if lives up to the hype of course :D) and possibly Griffin on perimeter defense and I just can’t imagine UConn losing that battle. UConn has more experience in ONO and Williams plus Westbrook joining as an upperclassman. Makurat and Griffin have a good introductory year under their belts and are no doubt primed for a breakout season. Louisville has more question marks when it comes to experience since they bring in so many players that are either freshman or that redshirted a year ago. Evans, Balogun, and Dixon will likely be the key leaders/returners from a year ago and Hailey Van Lith will likely get a good amount of playing time. Overall I expect it to be a fairly competitive game at least in the beginning since it will still be extremely early in the season given the late start. I would think UConn has the advantage overall, but then again this is a UConn board and I am a UConn fan first. Hopefully it’s at least similarly competitive to the 2011-2014 seasons.

Reaction Score
Both Paige and Hailey Van Lith played for Jeff Walz on the USA team so he is familiar with what both can bring. Paige seemed to play more and in crucial situations. From what I saw and IMHO Page is the more complete player and Hailey Van Lith is more of a scorer and volume shooter as once the ball got into her hands you know a shot was coming.

Reaction Score
The 11 PM NBC Local News sports reporter stated that UConn WCBB had finalized its OOC schedule, though all of the dates are not determined. As I recall the broadcast (about 30 minutes ago), they said:

Quinnipiac @ Mohegan Sun 11/28
Miss St @ Mohegan Sun (I presume this is contingent on both UConn and the Bulldogs winning their prior game)
Louisville @ Mohegan Sun 12/4

Other games settled but with dates TBD:

@ Baylor
@ Tennessee
South Carolina at home

That is a heck of an OOC schedule for this unusual year, in my opinion.

Has to be the toughest OOC schedule in the country this year, games vs #1, #3, #5, and #6.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom