Lou to Seattle Storm | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lou to Seattle Storm

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Dupree?
Can she play the 3? I thought of her more as a 4. Maybe they'll just throw Stewie, Dupree and Russell out there and let somebody try to play the 3.

Reaction Score
Yep. Hard to understand what they were thinking.

Although it wasn't a direct trade, they basically got KLS for Howard. Not even close to equal value.
Wow! To me, that says that Seattle valued KLS, after two sub-par years in the league, more highly than anyone in the current draft class. KLS is the big winner here and good on her. Seems like such a great young woman and I root for her to succeed.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Although it wasn't a direct trade, they basically got KLS for Howard. Not even close to equal value.

To be more exact, they functionally traded Howard for Samuelson, Herbert-Harrigan and 2 second-round picks in 2022.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
To be more exact, they functionally traded Howard for Samuelson, Herbert-Harrigan and 2 second-round picks in 2022.
They also dealt Phoenix's 1st round pick in '22 that they had obtained, so they traded away 2 1st round picks. 2nd round picks in the WNBA are rarely useful, most are cut before the season starts.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It probably makes a lot of sense from a financial (salary cap) standpoint.

Yes, and not so much just this year but next year also. They need to re-sign both Stewart and Loyd next offseason and both will command a "supermax" contract. Stewart is already on the lower max contract so her cap hit will only go up a little. Jewell's salary will go from $121,500 this year to $228,094 if they give her the full supermax.

Howard got just slightly under the supermax as part of the deal with the Liberty. The Storm weren't going to give her that because that would mean giving half of their cap to 3 players. But she knew she could get it elsewhere so she wanted out.

Once Dupree signed, it was clear that Howard was on the way out. Note that while Seattle gave Dupree good money ($170k) it was only for one year. Howard got a four-year deal from New York.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
They also dealt Phoenix's 1st round pick in '22 that they had obtained, so they traded away 2 1st round picks. 2nd round picks in the WNBA are rarely useful, most are cut before the season starts.

Right, the way I'm reading this graphic, that Phoenix pick was also obtained in the Howard trade

storm trades.jpg

Reaction Score
J
Yes, and not so much just this year but next year also. They need to re-sign both Stewart and Loyd next offseason and both will command a "supermax" contract. Stewart is already on the lower max contract so her cap hit will only go up a little. Jewell's salary will go from $121,500 this year to $228,094 if they give her the full supermax.

Howard got just slightly under the supermax as part of the deal with the Liberty. The Storm weren't going to give her that because that would mean giving half of their cap to 3 players. But she knew she could get it elsewhere so she wanted out.

Once Dupree signed, it was clear that Howard was on the way out. Note that while Seattle gave Dupree good money ($170k) it was only for one year. Howard got a four-year deal from New York.
Ezi will be as good as Howard or better in a couple of years. Lou fits well on this team, and will learn to be a good defender.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I knew it was very unlikely Seattle would be able to keep all 3 of Clark, Howard and Whitcomb. Losing all 3 though is fairly galling.

Reaction Score
Pretty excited for Lou. I wish that there were more teams in the WNBA. But I understand the whole financial situation with teams. But with more teams, a lot of these talented ladies, like Lou, would not have to keep bouncing around every year or two. This move to Seattle, could be a huge game and career changing moment, for Lou. On paper, I love this move!!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It's been a strange career so far for Lou. She went from #4 overall pick to benchwarmer in Chicago to backup in Dallas to instant Euroleague star to...conceivably starting for the defending champs?

It will be interesting to see how much the European success translates to the W where she doesn't figure to have as large of an offensive role as she does overseas.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I just realized that the next 4 drafts are going to be interesting since college kids in 2021-2024 will all have the choice whether to go pro or stay for an additional year after the WNBA has already done most of their trades. Any player likely to be a lottery pick can see who has those picks and change their mind if they dislike the teams. And with a player like Paige who is likely destined to be the #1 pick and heavily coveted might she actually be able to force or trade of the #1 pick or decline to enter the draft?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
J
Ezi will be as good as Howard or better in a couple of years. Lou fits well on this team, and will learn to be a good defender.
I think we need to wait and actually see KLS play in Seattle before we declare it a good fit. Magbegor had her moments as a rookie but has a long way to go.

Again though, it's really about the defense. I'm gonna go ahead and go on the record saying those 2 will never be anywhere near as good on D as the departed pair.

Well, it's mostly about the D. Clark hit 48% and 52% behind the arc the last 2 years. She was 55% overall last year and is a 50% shooter for her career. When your 4th or 5th scoring option can average double figures and be nearly automatic behind the arc, that's pretty damn rare. KLS has a long, long, long way to go to have that kind of efficiency.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I just realized that the next 4 drafts are going to be interesting since college kids in 2021-2024 will all have the choice whether to go pro or stay for an additional year after the WNBA has already done most of their trades. Any player likely to be a lottery pick can see who has those picks and change their mind if they dislike the teams. And with a player like Paige who is likely destined to be the #1 pick and heavily coveted might she actually be able to force or trade of the #1 pick or decline to enter the draft?
I wonder if kids who are WNBA-eligible and likely lottery picks will stay rather than leaving.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think we need to wait and actually see KLS play in Seattle before we declare it a good fit. Magbegor had her moments as a rookie but has a long way to go.

Again though, it's really about the defense. I'm gonna go ahead and go on the record saying those 2 will never be anywhere near as good on D as the departed pair.

Well, it's mostly about the D. Clark hit 48% and 52% behind the arc the last 2 years. She was 55% overall last year and is a 50% shooter for her career. When your 4th or 5th scoring option can average double figures and be nearly automatic behind the arc, that's pretty damn rare. KLS has a long, long, long way to go to have that kind of efficiency.
Clark made herself into a good player. Part of the reason for her high shooting percentage is the post-up skills she learned in college. She has mede herself into a good 3-point shooter, making 48% and 52% the past 2 seasons. She's a littler under 40% for her career, though.

As I understand it, both AC and Howard wanted to be elsewhere. I would have liked for Seattle to keep them as well, but they couldn't for one reason or another. I'm not sure how the new players will do, but I'm optimistic. Dupree is a proven pro, though aging, and Lou and Kiki are young talents who are affordable.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Lou's Euroleague games can be watched here. It also has stats and box scores

The best 3 games are the games on 1/22, 1/21, and 1/19.

The next round of the Euroleague games will be in mid March. Lou's team is playing another Spanish team, Spar Girona, in a home and home series.

Lou's team, Avenida, will post the game info, date time, which streaming site will have it on their Twitter site. These are for the Spanish League games. It usually is posted the day before the game, and then on game day.

If the games are on Canal Feb TV look at FEB These are free to watch.

If the games are on Teledeporte, you will need a VPN, switched to a Spain location, to watch the games. You can get the link here Estoy viendo el deporte en directo en +TDP con RTVE.es

There have some games streamed on one of the teams twitter sites too.

The game tomorrow, Thursday, 2/11, has been postponed as a member of the visiting team tested positive.

Reaction Score
Someone told Geno about the trade sending Lou to Seattle for the overall #1 pick and Geno goes "Hmm... interesting". Sounds like he is surprised as well :)

Reaction Score
Okay, who replaced Clark then? Nobody. They need a starting 3. I don't think KLS is it, but look at their roster and try to find a starting 3.
For Sami’s three point shooting.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I wonder if kids who are WNBA-eligible and likely lottery picks will stay rather than leaving.
I think a team like the Liberty during their 'tear down' would tempt a player like Sabrina (if she had a choice for a fifth college season) or Paige in 2024 to at least consider staying in school rather than get stuck in a dumpster fire. There might be another dumpster fire the next year, but at least it might be a better team. You know the order of the draft long before the WCBB players have to decide.

Reaction Score
Lou is the best player on the best (undefeated) Spanish League team and undefeated in EuroLeague and has become a decent rebounder. Tiffany is also tearing it up, second only to Lou.

Reaction Score
The problem with Katie Lou is that no one has the confidence she can assert herself in the offense unless it’s bombing threes. I’m somewhat partial to agree. I think she could be good if she got the ball more but she’s def not a first option even though she was drafted so high. Her college tenure was somewhat underwhelming and she’s not getting moved all around for nothing. I’m glad to see her reunited with Stewie and hoping a change of scenery can turn her NBA career around, but I feel like it might be just more of the same. I’m always open to be proven wrong though

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

They got KLS/MHH and a throwaway 2nd round pick for Howard. I don't see either being a marquee player for Seattle....I think this was an awful trade for them.

Everything with KLS in the WNBA has been somewhat of a headscratcher...from being picked 4th overall ahead of Arike/Collier, to being traded for Stevens, to now being traded for the #1 overall pick after 2 disappointing seasons. I know this draft appears to be quite weak, but potentially passing up a player like Charli Collier in favor of KLS makes no sense to me.

MHH could be a decent backup post to Stewart/Ezi but she doesn't bring the same elements to the table that Howard did.

Dallas comes out as huge winners and now has the top 2 picks.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think the Mercury made a great trade to give up picks for Walker/Nurse. In Nurse they get an unselfish player who is capable of knocking down shots but will be fine deflecting to the Big 3. Walker moves well off the ball and is a great catch and shoot player. The 6th pick in the 2021 draft is likely going to be a worse player than Walker/Nurse, and if Phoenix has a decent year they'll have a lower pick in 2022. Question is, will they have a good year? On paper they look like a massive title threat year in and year out but have consistently underachieved for a while now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom