Lou Lopez Senechal thread about basketball | The Boneyard

Lou Lopez Senechal thread about basketball

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don’t know if this is in that monster thread that turned into a French lesson:

Lopez Sénéchal will graduate from Fairfield next month with a degree in marketing and report to UConn in June.

“He didn’t promise me anything,” Senechal said of her role and conversations with Auriemma. “I obviously have to earn what I’ll have. But he was saying, the fact that they’re losing some guards, I could add to the other guards. They play with a lot of guards and four out, one in. He talked to me about that and how I could add to the team. He showed me some clips and types of workouts and how I can fit in the game

Lou knows she has to earn her time and is willing to work for it. High praise from coaches that she played against, including former Texas assistant April Phillips. Phillips said Lou (who got 17 points on 5-10 shooting) missed an entire quarter after being elbowed in the mouth. Per the article linked below: “[Phillips] was like, ‘Morgan, that kid can go. If she didn’t get knocked in the mouth by Lauren Ebo, who knows how that game would have turned out?’”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While recruiting talented women basketball players can be a lengthy battle, it is often the case that the players who choose UConn are smart, motivated and know exactly what they’re looking for. As a result the process is relatively simple.

I marvel at the fact that Morgan was on this kid from the start. UConn also did it’s homework. Despite what must have been dozens of schools reaching out to her, Lou made only one visit to Storrs, where Geno and the team closed the deal.

It’s been said many times that UConn WBB is not for everyone. But for the very few kids with the talent and intelligence to play for the Huskies, the decision is as easy as pie. :)

Reaction Score
I love what she reports about her conversations with Geno. He showed her the game we play and how she could fit in. Didn’t need to promise her anything. She could judge if she could thrive in that sort of game. Maybe you don’t approach a HS kid in exactly that way (though I think he probably does anyway) but a grad transfer can make better judgments.

Also, I think not winning the NC game probably helped. She wants a chance to showcase her talents for the pros, and that means playing on the biggest stage. But the team that wins the NC may not provide her enough openings to get in the game, and her contributions might seem insignificant. When we lost, we showed her the best of all situations — a contender she could make a substantial contribution to. If we win next year, she’ll have helped.

Reaction Score
While recruiting talented women basketball players can be a lengthy battle, it is often the case that the players who choose UConn are smart, motivated and know exactly what they’re looking for. As a result the process is relatively simple.

I marvel at the fact that Morgan was on this kid from the start. UConn also did it’s homework. Despite what must have been dozens of schools reaching out to her, Lou made only one visit to Storrs, where Geno and the team closed the deal.

It’s been said many times that UConn WBB is not for everyone. But for the very few kids with the talent and intelligence to play for the Huskies, the decision is as easy as pie. :)
Amen! That last part says it all. UConn WBB is not for everyone. But those that choose to come to Storrs, CT and play for the Huskies and Coach Auriemma, the choice is easy.

Reaction Score
Really nice article. I as a big fan of the "1st Lou" and I'm ready to see what this Lou can do. I see her contributing in a great way... Love the KLS comment... "You can never have too many Lous"... Looking for a great season 2022-2023

GO HUSKIES!!1

Reaction Score
I find myself getting increasingly excited about the signing. I do think adding another shooter is exactly what this team needed. I think Azzi and CD will learn a lot from her. Also I love how she's ready to embrace whatever role she's given and looking forward to the competition. I remember heading into last season, it was fun just thinking about how competitive practices must be with the incoming freshman class and the Dorka. I know the team lost a lot this off-season but I think it will be just as competitive this year. I'm not sure if we are two starting fives deep but we are probably pretty close and can easily balance the teams. My only concern is really for her, as she has pro aspirations, I hope she gets an opportunity to showcase her talent.

sun

Reaction Score
While no 2 players are the same, what I think that Lou can bring to UConn is a more experienced version of the scoring talent that was lost when Saylor unexpectedly transferred.

Saylor was a highly touted #30 ranked high school player who didn't stay at UConn long enough to develop her Division 1 talent.
She was part of the 12 member 2019 USA U16 team that included Amari DeBerry.

Meanwhile, Lou intensely developed her game at Fairfield over 4 years, averaging at least 30 minutes of PT each year and steadily increasing her point production from 11.8 ppg as a freshman to 19.6 ppg as a senior.

While they both have some similar physical characteristics, they each have an entirely different world of game experience and the associated mature basketball IQ.
Lou seems to have dedicated herself to improving her game and knows what she wants to achieve from it by transferring to UConn.
In that respect, UConn has gained a player who grew with their experience that can help to replace another that transferred and created a need.
It's a win-win for both Lou & UConn, and it shows how much that WCBB is a game of constant replacement.
Some players are more temporary than others, but Lou will have her own special gifts to offer while she's here.

Lou's Fairfield page with her career stats:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
… My only concern is really for her, as she has pro aspirations, I hope she gets an opportunity to showcase her talent.
LLS already has talent & resume to play in Europe. UConn visibility/coaching/experience will only augment her pro aspirations & viability, esp vis-à-vis (French word purposeful as player tribute) the WNBA.

Crème (again) rises to top. Just as Dorka quickly showed her value on court in summer workouts, confident that Lou will do same.

Reaction Score
I don’t know if this is in that monster thread that turned into a French lesson:

Lopez Sénéchal will graduate from Fairfield next month with a degree in marketing and report to UConn in June.

“He didn’t promise me anything,” Senechal said of her role and conversations with Auriemma. “I obviously have to earn what I’ll have. But he was saying, the fact that they’re losing some guards, I could add to the other guards. They play with a lot of guards and four out, one in. He talked to me about that and how I could add to the team. He showed me some clips and types of workouts and how I can fit in the game

Lou knows she has to earn her time and is willing to work for it. High praise from coaches that she played against, including former Texas assistant April Phillips. Phillips said Lou (who got 17 points on 5-10 shooting) missed an entire quarter after being elbowed in the mouth. Per the article linked below: “[Phillips] was like, ‘Morgan, that kid can go. If she didn’t get knocked in the mouth by Lauren Ebo, who knows how that game would have turned out?’”

Thank you, HuskyNan, for starting a new thread about Lou and basketball. I unfortunately got sucked into the pronunciation conversation, but I'm on this board because I love UConn basketball, and that's what I want to talk about.

Reaction Score
Watching Lou being able to get her points against a quality defense like Texas is a type of player we need. She has the the ability to start for us or be the rotational replacement at the 2 or the three. Having three 40% 3 point shooter in her Paige and Azzi will open the middle up. Can she guard Boston no but will she score beter than CW and Evina against a shutdown defense maybe we can only hope.

Reaction Score

Lou is easy to root for - for all the reasons aptly stated above.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

A slightly lengthier quote .

“She’s a unique kid,” Auriemma said. “Had a long conversation with (former Fairfield women’s basketball coach) Joe Frager and even people in their league were just like, ‘Wow, I can’t believe you’re getting her.’ She’s just an unbelievable kid. Her AD called me and said, ‘Thirty years in the business, I’ve never met a better kid than Lou.’ She’s just a unique kid. Her whole background, how she is as a player. She don’t look the part, but she’s tough as nails.”

From her interviews, she seems incredibly mature and goal oriented. Such a great addition after losing alot of guard experience.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A slightly lengthier quote .

“She’s a unique kid,” Auriemma said. “Had a long conversation with (former Fairfield women’s basketball coach) Joe Frager and even people in their league were just like, ‘Wow, I can’t believe you’re getting her.’ She’s just an unbelievable kid. Her AD called me and said, ‘Thirty years in the business, I’ve never met a better kid than Lou.’ She’s just a unique kid. Her whole background, how she is as a player. She don’t look the part, but she’s tough as nails.”

From her interviews, she seems incredibly mature and goal oriented. Such a great addition after losing alot of guard experience.
So looking forward to watching Lou play. Her game fits perfectly in UConn's offense. The biggest adjustment for her will be playing on a much bigger stage.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As some of you know, there is a lot of appeal to the European players. Very few, if any, UConn players have been tougher than Nika Muhl. The Euros tend to be tough, like to pass the ball, and make 3-pointers.

Reaction Score
As some of you know, there is a lot of appeal to the European players. Very few, if any, UConn players have been tougher than Nika Muhl. The Euros tend to be tough, like to pass the ball, and make 3-pointers.
For those folks who still think that the U.S.A. dominates all level of basketball, the 1st Team All-NBA likely will consist of a Slovenian, a Serbian, and a Greek.
Good points, MH. Svetlana Abrasimova another tough UConn WBB alumn. But not all— Anna Makurat, though physically adept for major D1 competition, was in her own head for much of her abridged Storrs tenure & therefore fell short of expectations.

Re: Euros in NBA, original rep was diametric opposite 20-30 years ago. Euro prospects were largely considered soft & unfit for physical, smack-talking American pros.

My how times have changed. Game has evolved on both sides to skill-based, increasingly position-less basketball. Euros catalyzed this evolution & have been beneficiaries b/c they learn & hone fundamental skills— dribbling, passing, shooting— from early age, regardless of size & conventional position. This is explains the likes of Dirk Nowitski & Nikola Jokic— 7’ers who can dribble, pass, & shoot. Euro developmental (& pro) basketball also defined by more practices than games— reciprocal to AAU system here where kids play games predominantly & hardly ever practice, therefore not drilling fundamentals.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Good points, MH. Svetlana Abrasimova another tough UConn WBB alumn. But not all— Anna Makurat, though physically adept for major D1 competition, was in her own head for much of her abridged Storrs tenure & therefore fell short of expectations.

Re: Euros in NBA, original rep was diametric opposite 20-30 years ago. Euro prospects were largely considered soft & unfit for physical, smack-talking American pros.

My how times have changed. Game has evolved on both sides to skill-based, increasingly position-less basketball. Euros catalyzed this evolution & have been beneficiaries b/c they learn & hone fundamental skills— dribbling, passing, shooting— from early age, regardless of size & conventional position. This is explains the likes of Dirk Nowitski & Nikola Jokic— 7’ers who can dribble, pass, & shoot. Euro developmental (& pro) basketball also defined by more practices than games— reciprocal to AAU system here where kids play games predominantly & hardly ever practice, therefore not drilling fundamentals.

The beginning of the change was the 1992 Olympics with the Dream Team. It says something when the opponent wants photo ops with you. The rest of the world saw a team of GOATs and knew what their developmental target was. They have come a long way in 30 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom