Losing Plays | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Losing Plays

Reaction Score
They needed to win this one for Gilbert. Dude is a warrior who left everything he had on the floor. I wish Gilbert was here during a better stretch of uconn basketball because he is special

Reaction Score
Disgraceful. One thing you can say is that when you think UConn has hit rock bottom they find a even lower low.
Lol, did you watch the last 2 years of mailing it in most games. This team is losing with effort & heart with not much of a roster. I'll take that for the rest of season but next year we need that effort to start translating to wins.

Reaction Score
Adams had just hit a three. He was feeling it. But he has to make that wide open shot.
Or he could have driven the ball. He was out front with numbers I believe on that play.

That said, he made some big shots. I've been tough on Adams, but he was definitely a plus in tonight's game.

Reaction Score
Given how ungrateful you appear to be for the past 25 years? You deserve every second of it.

By the way, how did your Gilbert predictions look tonight?
Did he carry them to victory? Nope. UConn lost again. That is all that really matters. He fell down., This time with cramps. We never know what will be next. He is very talented no doubt, but cannot rely on him to carry a team.

Reaction Score
Next year isn’t looking much better unless Gilbert is healthy all year. Vital,polley,willson,Adams all need to improve. Carlton I believe will get better but he needs help and Hurley doesn’t have that coming in yet.

I’m not even sure MO or Whaley will be on the team honestly.
Akok will help Carlton but he needs someone who is better than him on the roster. I don't trust Carlton starting next year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How about the garbage reffing at the end of the game Wichita got a foul call when they lost possession of the ball went on to make two free throws than got another phantom foul call for two more free throws

phew i was afraid no one would remember to blame the refs

Reaction Score
Lol, did you watch the last 2 years of mailing it in most games. This team is losing with effort & heart with not much of a roster. I'll take that for the rest of season but next year we need that effort to start translating to wins.
You cannot win without talent, and that is lacking right now. I also don't understand why Vital doesn't start. It is like spotting the opponents are early lead.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This team is missing that one thing, how to close out games and how not to lose like tonight. This game should have been a win and instead it is another close loss in a season of close loses

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
This team is missing that one thing, how to close out games and how not to lose like tonight. This game should have been a win and instead it is another close loss in a season of close loses
Exactly. All of the pieces aren't there yet. The work ethic is right, but you can only work with what you have.

Reaction Score
It’s really easy to motivate a team to play us. People want to punish a basketball team that has historically been dominant. If I were coaching against UConn it wouldnt take much to hype the players up about playing this game. Hyping our players up about playing Tulane, ECU, South Florida, UCF...etc. now that’s tough. Hurley is a natural motivator from what I can tell on the couch but he needs “his” guys to want to win so much more than anything else. Motivation is there. Old habits remain. Hurley’s incoming recruits need buy in and force their opponents to feel as if they are out of their league.

Reaction Score
Next year isn’t looking much better unless Gilbert is healthy all year. Vital,polley,willson,Adams all need to improve. Carlton I believe will get better but he needs help and Hurley doesn’t have that coming in yet.

I’m not even sure MO or Whaley will be on the team honestly.
Next year will be better. Some of our losing players will be cycled out of the program and we're adding more talent.

C

Chief00

To quote @Fishy, bad teams always find a way.

When we beat WSU the first time, we had a two game stretch of being a “good team” at home, at least. But, that’s also when the injuries happened to Gilbert and Adams. Reminds me of the Oregon game Gilvert’s Freshman year.

Reaction Score
I want to know the name of the yoga studio some of you attend to get your bodies ready for the stretching you do to avoid laying any blame at the coach's feet. That place must be amazing!

Reaction Score
I want to know the name of the yoga studio some of you attend to get your bodies ready for the stretching you do to avoid laying any blame at the coach's feet. That place must be amazing!
You've always been so fair and balanced when assessing Coach Hurley. I have no idea where this is coming from.

It is fixed by quality coaching. When your team is repeatedly out played in the second half, that is on the coaches.

I hope he isn't the coach I think he is.

That said, we have all the proof we need on how valuable Rique is to this team.

When it comes to making adjustments, Coach Hurley is somewhere between Stonehenge and The Rock of Gibraltar.

He makes no adjustments. Beyond the sideline theatrics, I am starting to worry there isn't much else in his arsenal.

He acts like a barroom bully deep into a beer drunk. Grow the hell up.

Reaction Score
Antoine Anderson oops i mean Tarin Smith just isn't good enough to be playing so many minutes. Grad transfers make me nervous unless you get one of the best ones available. He wasn't.

Reaction Score
Too many losing plays down the stretch.

Fighting your own teammate for a rebound and knocking the ball oob.
Smith with his head down on a 2-1 break and taking an offensive foul instead of hitting a wide open Sid.
Leaving shooters wideeee open
Letting a 58% FT shooter go 3-3 from the line (I kid, but wtf does it seem like these brick layers always turn into Steph Curry from the line against us?)

Have to play smarter than that. That was a very winnable game and we booted it.
Last time I saw that was bazz and boat in the championship game.

Reaction Score
Antoine Anderson oops i mean Tarin Smith just isn't good enough to be playing so many minutes. Grad transfers make me nervous unless you get one of the best ones available. He wasn't.

If he played the role we hoped he'd play (4th guard, 3rd ball handler) he'd be fine. But, as in the last 3-4 years with UConn, we had injuries to our 1st and 2nd guard and ball handler, and it thrust him into a much more elevated role than he was intended for.

A10 sixth man of the year would have been fine for 25-30 minutes as a second or third ball hander, not 30-35 as sometimes the primary one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom