Looks to me like we're heading to The Big 10 | The Boneyard

Looks to me like we're heading to The Big 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While I'm certainly subject to eating crow, I think the Huskies are headed to the Big Ten. A careful reading of Susan Herbst's comment leads me to think we're talking to the Big Ten more than is being discussed. She overly stressed the academics (read getting to the AAU) and she is clearly the person driving the UConn bus. Her strongly held values clearly mesh with the B!0. Add with her prior contacts there and the support from former UConn Pres Hogan at Illinois, the conference (I believe) is warming to the idea.
The Big Ten's desire to expand their network always envisioned a "New York/New England" presence. Now, with the ACC having taken Pitt and Syr (and BC), the B10 will need to quickly revisit UConn (and Rutgers).
What's clear more than ever is that Herbst is the strongest leader UConn has ever had. Unlike in the past, our decision won't be based on cronyism or coaches desires to keep the old rivalries alive. There will be lots of challenges of course, and concessions. For example, Pres Herbst will have to commit to expand the stadium. But, with greater funds from the B10 affiliation and an administration raising the bar on promoting the program, I forsee a much more active campaign to make UConn football a "must see" destination event for fans. And, of course, visiting teams from Michigan, Ohio St, Nebraska, Penn St and Wisconsin just might help a little.
The ACC also has its benefits, but I'm simply not as sure it matches Herbst's vision of where UConn should be hanging its hat.

Reaction Score
While I'm certainly subject to eating crow, I think the Huskies are headed to the Big Ten. A careful reading of Susan Herbst's comment leads me to think we're talking to the Big Ten more than is being discussed. She overly stressed the academics (read getting to the AAU) and she is clearly the person driving the UConn bus. Her strongly held values clearly mesh with the B!0. Add with her prior contacts there and the support from former UConn Pres Hogan at Illinois, the conference (I believe) is warming to the idea.
The Big Ten's desire to expand their network always envisioned a "New York/New England" presence. Now, with the ACC having taken Pitt and Syr (and BC), the B10 will need to quickly revisit UConn (and Rutgers).
What's clear more than ever is that Herbst is the strongest leader UConn has ever had. Unlike in the past, our decision won't be based on cronyism or coaches desires to keep the old rivalries alive. There will be lots of challenges of course, and concessions. For example, Pres Herbst will have to commit to expand the stadium. But, with greater funds from the B10 affiliation and an administration raising the bar on promoting the program, I forsee a much more active campaign to make UConn football a "must see" destination event for fans. And, of course, visiting teams from Michigan, Ohio St, Nebraska, Penn St and Wisconsin just might help a little.
The ACC also has its benefits, but I'm simply not as sure it matches Herbst's vision of where UConn should be hanging its hat.
Little early to be drinking isn't it? :)

Reaction Score
I'm skeptical. Syracuse would have been a bridge school along with Rutgers. I'm thinking they do ND and Mizzou, and maybe we get lucky.

F

fortebleedsblue

This would be the best possible scenario for UConn. But at this point its a far stretch.

Reaction Score
I think it's highly unlikely but on the other hand I totally disagree with those that think the ACC outflanked the B10 with Cuse and Pitt going first. Were I the Big10, I look to Rutgers and UConn prior to Cuse and Pitt. But, maybe Swofford outsmarted himself once again.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It was made pretty public fifteen months ago that the B1G was split on their desire to move east. Michigan, Ohio St and PSU (granted the marquee football members) all wanted to expand into NYC while the remaining eight schools wanted to remain a midwest centric conference (adding Nebraska actually was a compromise decision).

If enough B1G members can be convinced that expanding east would benefit the conference, we have a very good chance of landing there. I'm not sure however that this will happen and if it does, it will be well after the ACC has completed their expansion plans.

Reaction Score
Big 10 is good academically, but with UVA, UNC, Duke, it's entirely conceivable that Herbst meant ACC. I will celebrate like crazy for news of either coming true, but personal bias is ACC...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This would be the best possible scenario for UConn. But at this point its a far stretch.
A far stretch, but one worth spending time and effort on trying to get done.

Reaction Score
The ACC would be a better fit basketball wise (ACC is way better than Big10). Also, I believe UCONN would havw abetter chance olf competing on the football field in the ACC. The ACC has a lot of football schools on UCONNs level. BC, Maryland, Pitt, Syracuse, Duke, Carolina, NC State....... We can compete with those schools. I think we struggle against the big boys in the Big10.

Reaction Score
I would be thrilled w Big Ten. NYC area is top 5 metro area for Michigan alum for example. Money is still on ACC though.

Reaction Score
IMO the Big Ten is the better deal for UCONN the school, but I agree, the ACC also has it's advantages.

Reaction Score
I think BCU, Duke, UVA, UNC, Georgia Tech and now Pitt and SU would take issue with your academics remark.

And do you really think Hogan would go to bat for UConn? And would that matter? Do you think Herbst respects Hogan? Not to mention, UConn just fired his boy Hathaway.

Reaction Score
I think BCU, Duke, UVA, UNC, Georgia Tech and now Pitt and SU would take issue with your academics remark.

And do you really think Hogan would go to bat for UConn? And would that matter? Do you think Herbst respects Hogan? Not to mention, UConn just fired his boy Hathaway.
Hogan was quoted in a radio interview shortly after he got to Ill that out of all the schools from the east talked about during the last rnd of expansion that he thought UConn was the best fit. He worked at OSU and Iowa before coming to UConn.

Reaction Score
Big 10 is good academically, but with UVA, UNC, Duke, it's entirely conceivable that Herbst meant ACC. I will celebrate like crazy for news of either coming true, but personal bias is ACC...
I completely agree.

Reaction Score
While the B1G would mean much more for the football end of things, I would much prefer to go to a conference with regional rivals (ACC).

Reaction Score
I agree that B10 is better for UConn the university than the athletics dept, but that's my premise. I believe Pres Herbst sees us better affiliated with the large,academically focused State U schools that predominate the B10. She will parlay that affinity with the B10 Network's need to have a major eastern presence.
Either conference, B10 or ACC, would be better than an eviscerated Big East and I say there is NO way she let's us linger with the remnants.

Reaction Score

There's a lot more involved to the academics question than just USNews rankings. Think $$$, CIC, more TV money for sports.

Reaction Score
So our options are Rutgers/BCU/Cuse or Rutgers/Penn state.....Ya think Penn State would view us as a rival? I guess its possible if we are in the same division. I'd rather the B10.

Reaction Score
I think it's highly unlikely but on the other hand I totally disagree with those that think the ACC outflanked the B10 with Cuse and Pitt going first. Were I the Big10, I look to Rutgers and UConn prior to Cuse and Pitt. But, maybe Swofford outsmarted himself once again.

Agreed. The ACC jumping on Pitt and Syracuse was very telling.......told me that the Big Ten said thanks, but no thanks to Pitt and Cuse and they moved swiftly to protect themselves. As soon as the "Texas situation" gets resolved and they join the PAC-12.......the rest of the dominoes will fall.

Reaction Score
We now know anything is possible. I would love B10 to go ND, UConn, WVU, and RU (I wud actually prefer MizzU over RU but my meds aren't that strong).

If UConn gets stuck in the ACC, with the Birthcanal, its going to be very difficult to recruit since RU, BCU, Maryland, and Pitt are all in the same league. Give me the B10

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We now know anything is possible. I would love B10 to go ND, UConn, WVU, and RU (I wud actually prefer MizzU over RU but my meds aren't that strong).

If UConn gets stuck in the ACC, with the Birthcanal, its going to be very difficult to recruit since RU, BCU, Maryland, and Pitt are all in the same league. Give me the B10

It would make it easier, not harder to recruit PA and the mid-atlantic states.

Reaction Score
I agree that B10 is better for UConn the university than the athletics dept, but that's my premise. I believe Pres Herbst sees us better affiliated with the large,academically focused State U schools that predominate the B10. She will parlay that affinity with the B10 Network's need to have a major eastern presence.
Either conference, B10 or ACC, would be better than an eviscerated Big East and I say there is NO way she let's us linger with the remnants.

you have to consider basketball.

Reaction Score
I don't buy the acc flanking the B1G argument last I heard the B1G had no interest in pitt as they already run the Pittsburgh market with Penn St. as much as I would love a B1G invite the acc seems like the most likely scenario

Reaction Score

i agree. i think consensus is that pitt/cuse is the best two-team BE combination for prying away ND - that was the gambit that the b1g played through the media last year, and that is the one that the acc is playing now, only with real stakes. it backfires if the b1g swoops in and takes uconn/ru before nd blinks. i'm sure they think this is unlikely, and at worst they get the two teams they were after (at least from a PR standpoint), with numerous options south and west.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom